Part 5

Don't Go Breaking My Hand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“How about getting some waffles instead today?” Moonbyul suggested as the three good friends left school after class the next Monday.

 

“Actually, I forgot I already have an appointment. I can't go,” Seulgi replied, scratching the back of her neck nervously.

 

“I’m in,” Wendy said chirpily, reaching for her umbrella. It had been raining all day long and it didn’t look like it would stop any time soon.

 

Just as they walked past the front gate of IBS, Seulgi noticed the gray car parked up front, and so did her two friends.

 

“Is she here to get her bones broken or what?” Moonbyul protested, walking in the direction of the car.

 

“Moonbyul, drop it. I actually have plans with her, that’s why she’s here. She helping me with biology,” Seulgi explained, running after Moonbyul before she made things worse.

 

“Oh, OK, I guess,” Moonbyul blurted out, confused. She looked back at Wendy as if hoping she’d be the voice of reason. The volleyball player thought Seulgi had gone mad but she didn't want to say it out loud.

 

“Have fun, Seul. Learn a lot,” Wendy replied instead, waving goodbye.

 

“Traitor,” Moonbyul muttered under her breath.

 

“Bye, guys. See you tomorrow,” Seulgi yelled before getting in the car.

 

“Everything alright?” Irene asked once Seulgi closed the door.

 

“Let’s just say Moonbyul is not very fond of you,” Seulgi merely replied, leaving her backpack and umbrella in the back seat.

 

— — —

 

Irene’s house was like a spy hideout. It was at the top of a hill, the last house at a gated community, the biggest of them all too. It had small panel controls on the walls of every room. They controlled everything inside, from the lights to the temperature, you could even choose the music.

 

“Good afternoon, Miss Bae. How was your day? The snacks are ready in the living room,” a middle-aged woman announced as they walked inside.

 

“It was great, thank you. Could you bring the food to my room, please?” Irene asked, taking off her shoes.

 

“Right away,” replied the kind woman, walking away.

 

“This way,” Irene gestured, leading Seulgi to her room.

 

Seulgi had accepted Irene’s offer because even even if she didn’t want to admit it, she was having trouble with biology. It had always been her weakest subject and the only one who could help her, Wendy, was busy these days preparing for a concert, so she didn’t want to distract her with petty things. Her next best choice was Irene, she was the top student in her year after all, so there was objectively nobody as capable as her.

 

“Let’s start immediately. Did you bring your textbook?” Irene asked, taking a seat by her desk and gesturing for Seulgi to do the same.

 

“Yes, it might be the same one you use at Trinity,” Seulgi replied, rummaging through her backpack.

 

Right as she sat down next to Irene, the woman that had greeted them earlier walked in with a tray full of cookies, cakes, and sandwiches. Everything looked too delicious to be real.

 

“Thank you very much,” Irene said. “Seulgi, you can eat but you have to focus, alright? We have no time to lose,” she warned the distracted girl.

 

“I know, I know,” Seulgi said, munching on a cookie.

 

— — —

 

They had been studying non-stop for almost three hours when a loud noise coming from the adjacent room interrupted them. Irene stood up and went out to see what was going on.

 

“Yes, finally some time to rest,” Seulgi whispered, thankful for the distraction.

 

“Dad?” Irene exclaimed, surprised, and closed her room’s door after she regained her composure. Despite that, Seulgi could still hear the entire conversation going on outside.

 

“Hi, honey. I just came by to pack some things up. Have you seen my golf bag? I can’t seem to find it,” a man in his forties said, Irene’s father.

 

“That’s all you have to say? I haven’t seen you in almost two months, and that’s all you got? Are you finally moving out?” Irene asked, her voice awfully steady and co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter