::: DISTRICT 11

BURN, BABY, BURN / The 50th Greater Asian Hunger Games / REVAMPING

The rice sits heavily in the fields. They're almost ready to be harvested, and Seokjin's hand itches, yearning for his scythe. He needs to get to work, so why is he wasting time sitting here? Why is the District wasting time with the Reaping when their food supplies are sitting vulnerably in the open?

The Capitol is stupid. Seokjin glances around, afraid that the Peacekeepers might have heard his thought. His brother had once told him that they were telepathic, and any people who thought badly of the Capitol were to be punished. It took Seokjin a while to realize that it was a lie, but he can't help but wonder if the Capitol might actually have telepathic devices that recorded his thoughts.

Well, it's not like they can stop him from being unhappy. District 11 is so poor that half of their citizens can't even afford TVs. Instead, they have to watch required programs in the square, even during the middle of the night. Most, if not all, of their citizens work in the rice fields, barely making enough money to survive. Seokjin himself can barely make enough to support himself. He wonders how his parents did it.

Maybe that's why they've always been so distant. Providing for themselves and two kids who, in their earlier years, complained and were ungrateful. Now that he's older, he doesn't blame them anymore, but their relationship had always been sort of strained. It's not their fault, or his; it's just the way life is, a side effect of poverty, that when one struggles, it's hard to see the good in the world.

The Reaping officially begins with the reading of the Decree. Seokjin rolls his eyes and settles down. It'll be a while before they're done. The text is several pages long and more like a small book than a document. The contents are complete bull too. 'Complete peace and unity?' Seokjin knows of a few villages that would beg to differ. The rebellions are already starting; it's just that the Capitol either doesn't know or doesn't care. 

But Seokjin does. He's done with a life of working in the rice fields. It's not that he resents the labor, but that he's angry at the Capitol for withholding their wealth, leaving the common people to suffer in return for their own blissful ignorance. Someone has to teach them, and Seokjin would love to be that someone. 

If only he had a chance, though.

Instead, he sits here in the square while the rice is ready to be harvested, participating in his last year of the Reaping. Wouldn't it be funny if he got picked? If the Peacekeepers heard his thoughts about rebellion and purposely picked him? That would be funny. It would be the most convenient way to get rid of a potential rebel, by sending them off to die in the Hunger Games. And in the case they made it back, they'd be monitored by the Capitol forever. Perfect plan.

"And now, we will be announcing this year's tribute." The mentor this year is someone called Park Jungmin. He's notorious in the district for being the Capitol's little pet, often playing the snitch and getting people arrested for no reason at all. They say he used to be humble, but the Games and fame changed him. Seokjin has no problem believing it. "Kim Seokjin."

Wait, what?

Seokjin doesn't believe that the Peacekeepers are telepathic, but this makes him think that maybe they really are. How else would he have been picked? The chance was one in... thousands? It must be, since District 11 is huge and there are so many boys. Whatever the case, it doesn't seem like anyone will volunteer for him. No one has volunteered in years, and the last girl who did it died immediately.

Seokjin rises, makes his way to the stage, shakes Jungmin's hand. He hopes he'll at least last a couple of days.

Panic starts to set in when they deposit him in an empty room. He knows this is when he says his last goodbyes, but suddenly, he's not ready. Living a rebellion and thinking about one are two completely different things. Seokjin doesn't know how to fight. He doesn't want to die. He'd rather live his entire life plowing rice fields than participate in these Games.

"Jin, Jin, look at me, you'll be fine." Seokjung holds him at arm's length as his parents silently cry on the couches. "You're strong, you can work for hours without getting tired. You're handsome, they'll love you, okay?"

Seokjin laughs, hugging his brother. "Yeah, sure. I'll at least survive until the second day, I'll promise you that."

"That's not funny." Seokjung's eyes reveal his pain. "I can't watch you die in front of me and not be able to do anything."

It was always Seokjung who stood up for him. He was almost half a dad to Seokjin. "I know. I'll try my best," he says, because what else can he say?

Jimin comes in next, Jungkook in tow. They're Seokjin's only friends, despite both being younger than him by a couple of years. Jungkook starts crying, and Jimin's lips wobble too. Seokjin laughs and hugs them.

"I'll be fine," he tells them. "Look, I'm Mr. Worldwide Handsome, all the sponsors will fall at my feet."

Neither of them laughs. "You have to make it back," Jimin says. "You can't leave us alone in the fields with the old dudes."

That's funny, and Jungkook laughs too. "Yeah, who else will distract them so they don't count time?"

Seokjin knows they're just trying to take his mind off the Games, but the implication that they don't need him past distracting the foremen is sort of hurtful. "Well," he says, slapping his leg. "I'll have to make it back, then, don't I?"


annie ily but could you have tried any harder on giving me details on our mr worldwide? literally, man. anyway i joined the gay club and i'm ing loving it, it's like we're all so starved for gay friends that we're all immediately close already rfhgjxdfgdg i;m cry. anyway yeah one last intro and then we.... stay stagnant until my brain decides that it's time to write good ;;;; jk (i hope)