-2-

Commoner

Seulgi was frozen, stiff, scared. Irene was going to be kidnapped?! Seulgi clenched her fists. Yes, she wasn't a very brave person at all, but this is Irene! The Bae Irene: the leader of Red Velvet, the goddess of Korea, the nation's wife/girlfriend, and... Seulgi's idol crush.

Seulgi was going to be late for the concert so she reluctantly got up from the spot where she was hiding and ran to her spot in the concert hall. She eventually reached the lowest floor and had to go through the crowd to get to her spot. 'Sorry, oops. Excuse me...,' Seulgi said, trying to squeeze through the crowd, who was jumping and cheering loudly. Seulgi was just worried and scared though. Of course she was happy to see her idol group and bias and--

Seulgi suddenly couldn't see anything. The crowd gasped. 'Wh-what happened? The lights...!' a stranger said. Seulgi squinted her eyes but she couldn't see anything. There was loud music in the background... the concert was starting! Seulgi suddenly remembered the kidnappers' plan.

'I-I gotta go, excuse me!' Seulgi shouted, trying to get out of the crowd. Her shouts weren't heard above the crowd and the whole concert hall though. Seulgi eventually just forced her way out and she was panting. The concert hadn't even really started and everybody was already sweating. Seulgi took a deep breath and tried escorting herself to the backstage.

After bumping into a few things and people (she couldn't see who or what), she eventually reached some stairs that she assumed were the backstage stairs. She carefully steepped up the few steps and eventually reached the stage. Seulgi turned to where she thought the backstage was and walked slowly and cautiously to the backstage with a hand on the wall.

Suddenly, she heard a scream. Seulgi could recognize that voice from miles and miles away. Irene! Seulgi gasped softly, not wanting to alert the kidnappers. Seulgi started running, bumping into a few things here and there. She needed to hurry and rescue Irene. 

She then bumped into a bulky person and she fell backwards. 'Who the--'

Seulgi tried pushing the man but he barely got pushed. He stumbled back a bit and growled. 'You...' Seulgi gulped. Was she going to die here? She heard the man reload a gun and he shot it, not knowing where Seulgi was. He almost shot Seulgi's arm but he missed, blinded by the darkness. Seulgi smirked. This was a disadvantage for the both of them.

'Help!' squealed a voice. It was Irene, who was blinded and scared and possibly injured. The man started walking somewhere and Seulgi grabbed his wrist and put her foot in front of the man's foot, causing him to trip. Both him and Irene yelped, both falling to the floor.

'Who the hell...?' Seulgi gulped. She couldn't see the man anymore. Irene was now standing and Seulgi decided to just take Irene somewhere safe. She grabbed her wrist and started running. There was a blinking, broken light so Seulgi used that. Suddenly, they both heard a thud! Seulgi raised an eyebrow suspiciously and spotted a Red Velvet lightstick on the stage. Seulgi smirked.

She the lightstick and she could see a little bit now. She then flashed the lightstick in Irene's face, checking to see if she was still there. 'Oh. Hi...,' Seulgi greeted nervously. Irene flashed her charming smile and bowed. 

Suddenly, they heard footsteps. Seulgi put her index finger to , telling Irene to be silent. Seulgi turned off the lightstick and crouched, making Irene crouch also. 'Where is he?!' a voice muttered. Seulgi recognized the light voice as the scrawny kidnapper. Seulgi tightened her grip of Irene's wrist. Though, she didn't notice Irene's reddened cheeks in the darkness.

Seulgi sighed and stood up and rammed into the scrawny man. He groaned and Seulgi her lightstick and spotted Irene, who was frozen. 'Did you just....?' Seulgi scratched her nape nervously.

The two girls eventually turn back on the lights and the police arrived in time to arrest the two kidnappers. The kidnappers were just drunk men planning to kidnap Irene with cruel and twisted intentions. Seulgi was taken to the police station for investigation and that surprised the kidnappers.

'She.. she heard us?!' the bulky man asked, shocked. Seulgi bit her lip. 'That son of a ...!' he insulted Seulgi, but some strong and bulky cops held him back from insulting her any more. He stopped and glared at Seulgi. Seulgi was then taken back to the concert hall for a mysterious reason. 

Red Velvet's manager, Lee Donghae, thanked Seulgi and said that she'll have a private meeting with Irene since the concert was cancelled. 'What?! But these people... they paid for the concert!' Seulgi protested. How could they cancel it so easily? Donghae sighed.

'We know. It would be easier to resume the concert but we're afraid that the incident is a very traumatic incident for the fans and the idols.. so..' Donghae trailed off, not knowing what to say. Seulgi smiled and said that he didn't have to continue. The two got into Donghae's car (or Red Velvet's car) and they drove to the concert hall. Donghae led Seulgi to a maze (well, for Seulgi it was a maze) and he spotted Irene and the two ran to her.

'Ah, Miss Bae, this is your savior! Err...?' Donghae didn't ask for Seulgi's name yet so he just left it at that and left the two alone. 

'Hi,' Irene greeted first, bowing. Seulgi bowed quickly and nervously. Irene giggled. 'So... I'm Bae Joohyun, or known as Irene and well, I'm the leader of-'

'I know who you are,' Seulgi interrupted, hoping that she didn't anger or annoy the idol in any way. But Irene just smiled and rubbed her nape nervously and laughed awkwardly. 

'Right. I'm famous.'

'Oh yeah.. I just don't think you know me--'

Irene looked at Seulgi.

'Then,' Irene held Seulgi's hands and flashed her smile at Seulgi, making Seulgi's heart flutter, 'I want to know who you are.'

__________

Seulgi had butterflies in her stomach and she had a dorky grin glued onto her face. It was the next day and Seulgi was walking to her college with Wendy, who was suspiciously watching her.

'Um, why do you have that murderous smile on your face..?' Wendy inquired. Seulgi snapped out of her thoughts and looked at Wendy. 

Seulgi then took out her phone and opened it and searched the web for something. Wendy raised an eyebrow. Seulgi then found the website and showed it to Wendy. Wendy was reading the article word-by-word and gasped.

'Seulgi! You..? The savior of Irene-nim?' Wendy asked with her eyes widened. Seulgi smiled dreamily and Wendy slapped her arm. 'Are you going to answer me or are you going to,' Wendy intertwined her hands together and put on a "fawning over" face, 'daydream about Irene?' Seulgi gasped, disgusted at the sight and slapped Wendy's arm. Wendy stopped and sighed.

'You're a hypocrite, Seulgi.' Seulgi denied it, but she really was. Disgusted at people fawning over others when she was doing the same thing to Irene.

'Irene is an exception.'

'What about me or your friends then?'

'Um, no.'

Wendy sighed. 'Seriously, Seulgi. Just accept it.' Seulgi pouted but Wendy was immune to Seulgi. Seulgi was way too dumb for her. 

'Girl, it's concerning. You might not have any friends if I leave to go to Canada.' Seulgi gasped genuinely. 

'You are going back?!' Wendy rolled her eyes. 

'Yes. I am and what are you going to do about it?'

Seulgi's jaw opened. There's no way that she would survive without Wendy! Wendy always brought her school lunch and Seulgi went everywhere with her! There's no way that Wendy would just leave for Canada in the middle of the school year! Well... she is rich...

'B-but..'

'Seulgi, you're acting like a high schooler.'

Wendy was right, Seulgi was being immature and selfish. Wendy had other family and friends in Canada and Seulgi was a college student. She could survive if she tried hard enough and would stop depending on others. Wendy sighed and the two walked to their college, chatting about the upcoming exams and tests until Seulgi bumps into someone and falls on her bottom.

'Ow...,' Seulgi mutters, rubbing her bottom embarrassingly. Wendy nearly fainted at the sight. She would just act like she didn't know this immature college student. But it was too late.. Seulgi stood up and apologized to the girl that she bumped into.

'Oh, it's fine,' the other girl said. She had a cap and a mouth mask on so Seulgi couldn't recognize who she was. Wendy was waiting patiently for the two to stop chatting so that Seulgi and her wouldn't be late to classes, but the two were talking for a long time so Wendy left Seulgi.

The mysterious girl also accidentally spilled ice cream all over Seulgi's clothes but Seulgi said that it wasn't a big deal. 'I've had worse,' Seulgi tried to reason but the other girl said that she needed to change clothes.

'Um... yeah, and who are you?' Seulgi asked, skeptical now. She wasn't being kidnapped or scammed or anything like that, right? The other girl paused and decided that Seulgi could just clean herself. 

'... Oh, and you're late for class. I see that your friend has left you.' Seulgi froze and turned around. Wendy was gone!

'Oh shoot!' Seulgi exclaimed and apologized to the myserious girl and ran to her class with ice cream all over her clothes. The mysterious girl smiled and suddenly, a crowd started gathering around her.

'It's Irene, the leader of Red Velvet!' a stranger shouted. Cameras clicked and her manager eventually found her and they escaped the crowd. Irene waved goodbye to her fans and drove away, thinking about Kang Seulgi, her savior..

__________

'Wendy! Why'd you ditch me?!' Seulgi asked when she caught up to Wendy, who was sitting silently and waiting for Seulgi. Wendy was drawing, but her drawing skills were inferior to Seulgi's drawing skills.

Seulgi saw that Wendy was drawing a tree. Seulgi felt like her soul had left her body. 'That's not how you draw it!' Seulgi shouted, frustrated at Wendy's constant mistakes. Wendy groaned as Seulgi "fixed" her sketch. 'Honestly, the branches are either too thin or thick. And the leaves are just clouds!' Seulgi scolded Wendy like a mother scolding her daughter.

The teacher then entered the room and cleared his throat. The two dummies apologized and sat down in their spots. Seulgi sat in the back row while Wendy sat in the front row. 

After History class, there was Music class again, which was a building away from History class's building. Wendy and Seulgi grabbed their backpacks and grabbed their Music requirements while putting away their History books away. Wendy then praised Seulgi for "fixing" her sketch of a tree. 'I really thought that trees were easy to draw,' Wendy confessed. Seulgi hummed in response.

'They are. But I drew it more realistically while you drew like the tree like a fourth grader,' Seulgi replied. Wendy froze and held back her anger outburst. 

'You won there, Kang,' Wendy said, laughing so that she could ignore her temper. Seulgi hummed and the two walked to Music class and Seulgi suddenly turned around. Wendy furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. 'What? What is it?' Wendy asked.

Seulgi shivered. 'Nothing.' But Seulgi felt like she was being watched.