Home With You

Way Back Home

Life wasn't any much better after Eunbi left. It was the same old routine for Chaeyeon, just that its worse because there's no Eunbi beside her.

While the older woman is off setting her foot in a foreign land and making full use of her time in climbing up to the top, Chaeyeon was still stuck at the same place.


Pondering her next step.

Her dreams, if there's even any. 

 

At the very least, she did put in more effort in her studies. Afterall, she had promised Eunbi to be at least the average scorer of her class. 
 

And of course, Chaeyeon is a woman of her words. She stayed up late every night to catch up with everything that she missed out in the previous semesters.

 

Her hard work paid off and she fulfilled her promise, achieving a GPA of 3.1 when she graduated. It was a huge improvement that even the girls were surprised but proud of her as well.

 

"Woah, unnie what magic did you pulled?"

Wonyoung's jaw dropped when they were looking through each other's final results. Seeing the youngest reaction, the rest of the girls gathered around to see Chaeyeon's report card. 
 

Hyewon narrowed her eyes before turning to the unbothered Chaeyeon with horrified expression.

"Yah Lee Chaeyeon! You actually scored better than me in math???? What in the world happened???" 
 

"Heol. How did you even went from a barely 2.0 pointer to a 3.1 in 2 semesters?!" 
 

Chaeyeon only shrugged and pointed to her brain.

"Maybe all this while I was just lazy to use this. I just need to have the push."

 

Words wasn't even needed to know what was the factor that pushed Chaeyeon to work hard. All of them knew it was their missing member.  
 

After graduating, Chaeyeon didn't choose to enter the university. She argued that studying was simply not for her and it would be a waste of money and time. 

So like any other commoners, Chaeyeon got an office job. Had the usual 9am to 6pm office hours work timing. Experienced the mad rush of peak hours in public transport and honestly its super boring for the free-spirited Chaeyeon.


But Chaeyeon had no other choice but to stick to it, after all she didn't really have a dream. 

 

Now that she had no books and studies to occupy her, she had lots of free time after work.

 

But that doesn't mean its a good thing     for Chaeyeon.

 

Sometimes having too much time, makes you feel lonely. More lonely when Eunbi comes into her mind and she had to refrain herself from contacting the older girl. 

 

When Eunbi just started adjusting to her new lifestyle in Cambridge, the two still continued texting each other everyday to check up on each other with simple good morning or good night texts and ask about each other's days.

However, as time goes by, with different commitments and timezones across both countries, the communication ceased. 

 

"Have you been able to contact Eunbi unnie?" Minju questioned, "We haven't heard from her for months already." 

Chaeyeon shook her head, "We haven't." 

"Why? I thought you guys texted everyday?" Yena quirked a brow and the latter shrugged it off.

"Not sure. It just came to a point where we are too busy with our things that we kind of forgot about it?" 

Her bestfriend stared at her and scoffed, "Lies. Aren't you very free after your work? You can keep pestering us for dinner but you can't just give her a text?" 

"When I get off work, she's probably deep in her sleep already." Chaeyeon argued, "I just don't want to disturb her." 

"Aren't you curious of how she's doing there? Don't you miss her?"

Chaeyeon felt dry up at Hyewon's retheorical question.

"I'm sure she's fine."

"...and of course I miss her as much as you guys do." 
 

 

Time passes fast and so it has been nearly a year since she last made an effort to text Eunbi and neither had the older woman had initiated any too. 

To keep hersef occupied, she took up lots of hobby and tried out various stuffs      cooking, art lessons, dancing, singing, photography, calligraphy, you name it. 

In the midst of juggling and attending all activities, Chaeyeon finally figured out what she wants to do for a living. 
 

A professional photographer.

 

With this goal set in mind, Chaeyeon drives through and started participating in competitions. Travelling around the world, capturing the nature beauties. With her effort and talent, it didn't take her long before she was crowned as one of the top photographers in Korea.

She became one of the most wanted photographers and many celebrities have to line up to get their seasonal and comeback photos taken by Lee Chaeyeon. 

All of a sudden, her schedules were fully packed and even the girls had problems asking her out for a simple meal. Her social connection widened as well but of course her main clique is still the other 10 girls. She will never forget them.

Still, it doesn't mean that her tight schedule didn't put a strain on their friendship. 

 

"We are meeting up for supper. You are coming right?"

 

"Today??? Errm, sorr     "

 

"    Yah! Lee Chaeyeon. Its the 9th time you are rejecting our gathering!"

 

Chaeyeon winced a little and pulls her phone away from her ear, groaning at Yena's loud voice, "What are you even up to these days that you are even busy after 12am?!" 
 

"I don't care! You better show your up at IZ cafe at 12am you got me?!" 

 

"Wait!    

 

The line got cut off even before Chaeyeon could say anything. 

Chaeyeon looked at her work partner standing infront of her raising her brow at her.

 

"Is everything okay?" 
 

"Sorry, Eunji. We might have to do this another day." 
 

Her co-partner frowned, "What? Chaeyeon, you know we have to tell the contractor our plan in 3 days? We are barely done with the lightings and we already have customers lining up!" 
 

Chaeyeon sigh heavily and scratched her head. Time was not in her favour. Espeically when she was just starting and planning to build her very own first studio. Its tiring for her to travel to so many places a day to take pictures so when she finally saved up adequate amount, Chaeyeon decided to invest in herself and set up a studio together with her most trusted work partner - Park Eunji.

 

"My friends are asking for me and they will skin me alive if I don't turn up. You know I've been pushing them back for my schedules, Eunji." 

The brunette huffed and crossed her arms against her chest, "Ugh fine. But lets just finish the lightings first then we will go." 
 

"Okay. I'm really sorry." 

"Well, can't blame it on Korea's busiest woman."


"shut up."

 

***

 

12:30am. 

, I'm doomed. 

 

Chaeyeon thought as she checked her watch and quickly parked her car before rushing into the almost empty cafe. It wasn't difficult to spot the group of friends she missed so much in the middle of the cafe. All of them looking at her. Some wore surprised expressions, some delighted and of course some were annoyed. 

 

"Yah! Lee, you are 30 minutes late!!!" Yena chided, running up to her and locking her in under her arms, dragging her towards the table. 

"CHAEYEON UNNIEEE!!!"

The younger members cheered and went up to their 'mom', hugging her tightly, "We thought you would miss this again!" 

 

The photographer chuckled and ruffled Wonyoung's hair affectionately.

 

"I'm sorry. If I didn't, I'm sure Yena and Sakura will come skin me alive." 

 

"You bet!" Sakura came knocking on her head, placing her hands on the sides of her waist with a frown, "Its been bloody 3 months since we last saw you alive!" 

"Geez! You don't even bother replying to our chats too!" 

"Did you forget about us after becoming famous?" 

 

Chaeyeon welcomed all of the assults and scoldings, knowing very well that she had indeed neglected her friends, "I'm sorry. I will make it up you all okay? I promise. I will treat you guys, order whatever you all want." 

 

Hyewon's and Yujin's eyes immediately lit up as they instantly went to the counter and ordered everything possible. Chaeyeon shook her head and handed them her black card before settling down next to Chaewon. 

 

"Hey, good to see my other Chae buddy again." Chaewon teased, sipping on her drinks nonchantantly. The latter chuckled, "How are you? Are you still working on that China project?" 

 

Chaewon rolled her eyes, "No? I've already completed it and it was of course a success. The director gave me a promotion and put my incharge of the China branch." 

"Wow. As expected from our genius. So? You're a manager now?"

"Senior manager."

"oofff. Are you sure you shouldn't be the one paying?" Chaeyeon pouted.

 

Nako cuts in, "Unnie, you're a boss."

"Not yet." 

"Soon." Sakura rolled her eyes, "When is the grand opening? You are going to invite us right?" 

"I'm pretty sure you guys are going to self-invite even if I don't." Chaeyeon laughs, "But of course I'm going to invite you all my you guys are the VVIPs. Can't leave the best people out right?"

 

Everyone cheered out loud. 

 

"Am I invited too?"

 

In the midst of the loud boisterous howls and cheerings, a soft voice which Chaeyeon couldn't remember when she last heard, rang into her ears. As if she was cursed, Chaeyeon felt her whole entire froze on her seats.

While the other girls sprung up their seats, running up to whoever was behind her, Chaeyeon couldn't even move her neck to turn herself around to see the girl she missed the most.

 

"Eunbi unnie! You are finally here!" 

"Hey, Wonyoungie." 

 

She's really here. Its real. 

 

The photographer gulped and slowly turned her neck slightly. At the very sight of the familar older woman, her heart started racing badly, threatening to burst out of her chest.  While Eunbi was busy giving her attention to the crying babies, Chaeyeon took the chance to admire Eunbi's grown matured beauty. 
 

She became a chestnut-haired brunette, all dressed up in formal 'lawyer-ish' vibe attire. White blouse, tight pencil skit and a trendy maroon coat cover her formal attire. Her vibe screams 'successful woman' and Chaeyeon felt a tad bit timid when their eye matched. 
 

Eunbi's lips curved into a small tiny smile in which the younger girl smiled back stiffly.

"Let's sit down unnie! You have to fill us up what happened in these 4 years!" Yujin says, pulling Eunbi to sit next to her. Which happened to be directly infront of Chaeyeon.

Yena huffed, "Can't believe you didn't even contact us much if its not for us telling you that we are meeting up again, we wouldn't even knew that you are back in Korea since April!"

 

Since April?

That was 2 months ago.  

 

Chaeyeon blinks in confusion. If Eunbi was back since then, why hasn't she told them? Or even her that she's back? 
 

"Sorry kids, when I came back I was immediately put into the law firm. I was too busy adjusting to the environment and work." 
 

"Geez, our moms are surely busy women." Hitomi grumbled, unknowingly making the atmosphere tense.

Everyone was walking on eggshells as they stared at Eunbi and Chaeyeon alternately. They thought the two were back together, considering how Chaeyeon had sent off Eunbi with a tight hug back then. But seems like it wasn't the case, afterall the two indeed didn't talked for over 2 years.

 

Chaeyeon too could feel Eunbi's gaze on her. Avoiding it, the photographer, stood up.

 

"I should get some coffee, I'm falling asleep." 

"Its bad to drink coffee this late." Eunbi stopped her softly, "Get some tea instead." 

 

Chaeyeon dared herself to glance at the brunette who was still wearing her tiny smile and nodded.

 

"Do you want one?" 

"Yes, please."

 


***

 

 

With the spotlight on Eunbi, Chaeyeon was able to keep shut and listen carefully to everything Eunbi was updating them about her time in Harvard. 

Hearing how Eunbi has graduated as one of the top few students, made Chaeyeon's chest swell up with pride. She knew that the older woman could do it. Her proud smile grew larger upon knowing that Eunbi managed to land a position in Korea's no.1 law firm.  Only the top of the elites could be accepted. 

 

The smile on her lips never flattered as she watches Eunbi ranting and ranting about her new boss and how hard it was for her to adjust to the company. The whinny Eunbi was back and Chaeyeon was happy that the older girl was just as what she had rememebered her to be. 
 

She didn't really changed much.

 

"What about you, Chaeyeon?"

 

Suddenly, all eyes were on her at Eunbi's sudden shift of topic.
 

"What about me?" 
"Erm are we not updating on our lifes?" 

 

Chaeyeon's lips formed into a little 'o' shape and Eunbi had to refrain herself from chuckling at the usual slow dumb Chaeyeon. She's too cute.

"Well." Chaeyeon cleared and leaned against her chair, trying to seem as comfortable and casual as possible, "Just getting busy recently with setting up a studio." 
 

"Yeah, she's acting as if she's a big shot." Hyewon deadpans, "Its so difficult to ask her out now." 
 

The photographer was about to shoot Hyewon a glare when Eunbi giggled and shook her head with her brow arched up slightly.

 

"You ain't wrong. She's a big shot." Eunbi grinned widely, almost too blinding for Chaeyeon, "You know you are not only famous in Korea right, Ms Lee?"

 The younger girl had to look away to hide her furiously pink cheeks and waved her hands, "Nah. You're just flattering me." 

 

Still so humble.

Eunbi didn't even have to tease Chaeyeon because the girls already beat her onto it.

 

"Ehyyy please even Im Yoona, Korea's top actress wants you to be her photographer and I even heard that she had to book you in advance!"

"Yeah of course now she's friends will those populat celebs and abandon all of us whom she's been with since 5."

"You guys are ridiculous. Why would I choose an actress whom I barely know over you guys whom I knew since I was apparently 5???????" 
 

Eunbi watches the silly exchanges with a light heart.

She missed all of these.
 

 

***

 

 

Unfortunately, the night wasn't getting any younger and the girls still have work the next day and they were feeling kind of bad for the cafe workers for making so much noise.

 

Being the 'mom' of the group, Chaeyeon made sure that the girls got in their cars safely and reminded every single one of them to update their chat group when they reached home.

 

She barely started her naggings when Yena just shouted in the carpark to ask Chaeyeon stop.

 

"Please step away if you don't want to get knocked over!"

The photographer rolled her eyes and stepped away from blocking the exit. She heave a heavy sigh as she watches the car leave one by one.

 

Now, its her turn to go home and hibernate.

Shoving her hand into her pocket, she searched for her car key. But strange, it wasn't in her pockets. 
 

"Did I left it in the cafe?" Chaeyeon mumbled as she started to panic. She continues to fumble around her pockets and checked her bag but there was no sign of it.

 

"It's here." 
 

Looking up, she saw her keys dangling off Eunbi's finger.

"You left it on the table." 
 

"Oh, thanks." Chaeyeon reached out, wanted to get the keys but the older woman closed her hands and hid the key behind her back. 
 

Chaeyeon blinks in confusion.

"Since I've found your key," Eunbi smiles mischievously as she trails.

"Send me home." 

The younger girl furrowed her brows, "You don't have a car?" 

Eunbi was kind of disappointed that the latter didn't say yes right away and went all awkward around her again. Was it because they haven't talked for years? Eunbi didn't know.

 

"If its not convenient for you, I can just flag a cab." 
 

The photographer quickly snapped out of the thought and shook her head ,"No! It's late and it's dangerous for youto take a cab back now."

"I will drive you home." 
 

Eunbi pressed her lips into a satisfied thin smile. 
 

She still cares.

 

***

 

 

It was difficult for Chaeyeon to focus and keep her eyes on the road especially when she could feel that unwaving stare at the side of her head. Only the soft music playing from the car's radio and the starting of the engine was heard.

Chaeyeon doesn't know if she should be uncomfortable with the silence or be glad that she wouldn't have to open and talk to Eunbi. (She doubt she could even talk without stuttering or embarrasing herself)

 

"I haven't been gone that long but Korea feels different." 
 

The driver gulped and nodded sliently to Eunbi's sudden statement. Taking a quick side glance, Chaeyeon could see Eunbi still staring at her with a downcasted expression. It made Chaeyeon felt guilty. She must have came off as cold and uninterested.

 

"I...Its normal I guess." Chaeyeon mumbled but loud enough for the older woman to hear, "You've been in another country for 4 years."

 

She finally turns her head to look at Eunbi during a red light and flash a small smile.

"It must be hard adjusting back again."

 

Eunbi chuckled, her eyes staring longingly at the girl beside her. Even though she was smiling, it did not reach her eyes.



"Thats not the hardest part."

"The hardest part is not having you by my side all this while and that we have drifted apart...."

"...and the fact that you have moved on."

 

Chaeyeon's throat went dry. Her jaw slacken, staring at Eunbi speechless and guilty. She couldn't vomit out any words because she couldn't understand what Eunbi meant by her last sentence.

 

Moved on...?

Did she mean in a good way? That she moved on in life and became successful? 

If it wasn't for the loud honk, distracting and scaring the driver, Chaeyeon would have questioned her about it. 

 

"How are thing going along with your studio?" Eunbi questioned again after that kinda long awkward pause. Chaeyeon was thankful that Eunbi was trying to start a conversation again.

 

"We're lacking behind time but I think it will be fine if we just stay up late for a few more days to settle everything." 
 

"We?" The lawyer arched a brow, confused. 
 

"Ah. I'm working with another co-partner to open up in studio. Her name is Eunji."

 

At the side of her eyes, she could see Eunbi's expression faltered a little. Not wanting the older girl to misunderstand anything, Chaeyeon quickly added on.

 

"She's my close friend."

"Can I see her picture?" 
 

That was random but Chaeyeon nodded and searched a photo with Eunji before showing it to Eunbi.

 

"So she's Eunji..." The next time Chaeyeon glanced back to check on the older girl, Eunbi was smiling widely.

 

Wondering why she was grinning so hard, Chaeyeon leaned back slightly only to see Eunbi staring at her wallpaper      a picture of them together.

 

"You didn't change your wallpaper." 



The driver look away, blushing furiously. It didn't came to her mind once that she needed to change it. That picture with Eunbi was her favourite and she use to look at it every night when she misses the girl.

 

Suddenly, Eunbi shoved her phone against her shoulder and clicked her tongue and slightly annoyance.

Did she become bipolar or something? How did she went from frowning to smiling in a short span of time? 
 

Chaeyeon quickly turned in to Eunbi's apartment carpark and pulled over, looking at her phone then back to Eunbi who was looking straight ahead. The younger girl scratched her head.

 

Should she ask what's wrong?

Should she just say good night and wait for Eunbi to get down? 

She heard Eunbi sighing and unbuckling her seatbelt. 


"Stupid..."

Confused, Chaeyeon pointed to herself, "M-Me? Stupid?"

 

Instead of replying, Eunbi just stared at Chaeyeon with an unreadable expression. Chaeyeon certainly did not expect the next moment to feel a pair of hands suddenly on her cheeks and neck, and the familiar warm plump lips on hers.

Chest contracts, butterflies swimming in her stomach.

The effects Eunbi had on her didn't change.

The kiss was so short that Chaeyeon couldn't even compose herself and kiss Eunbi back when the latter pulled away.

 

"No... I'm saying myself." Eunbi smiled, "Remember our promise 4 years ago?"


"Promise me something"

"What?"

"Promise that you won't push me away when I come back for you."  
 

Chaeyeon nodded and Eunbi lips curved up into a small smile and sigh.
 

"Since you promised me that, stay the night with me." Eunbi whispered, "I miss you. So much." 
 

Chaeyeon could not say no to the pair of puppy eyes staring at her.

She can never ever reject Eunbi.

Never. 
 

"I miss you too."

 

***

 

It feels like a dream. One of those dreams Chaeyeon had during sleepless nights. 
 

Her and Eunbi holding each other closely. Chin on Eunbi's crown and Eunbi's hot calm breaths tickling her sensitive neck.

Chaeyeon didn't know what to do or say except to just let Eunbi cling onto her. But the photographer knows that she won't ever exchange anything for this.

 

She's happy.

Happy to be alone with Eunbi again.

 

"Do you really thought that I would not have looked for you the moment I came back?"

Eunbi questioned softly, slightly looking up to look at the taller girl. The younger furrowed her brows, "You didn't even told us that you were back."
 

"It was suppose to be a surprise, Chae. A surprise."

Spotting with a pout, Eunbi sat up and folded her arms.

 

"Eventhough I know we haven't be in contact, you know I'm always keeping up with how you're doing. You're the first person I wanted to see once I reached Korea to congratulate you and be with you again."

 

"So immediately once I touched down, I went to look for you at your house."

 

There was no memory of Eunbi going to her house, looking for her. Chaeyeon knitted her brows together in confusion, "You went to look for me? Why did I not know about this?" 
 

"I was waiting for you at the corner, the best hiding place to surprise you when you walk to your door. But then, you didn't came home alone..." Eunbi trails, "Eunji was with you and she kissed you on your cheeks." 
 

The lawyer nibbled on her lower lips, "So... I thought you moved on from me... and just drove away."

Chaeyeon chuckled.

 

"Eunji grew up in the US, so she's open and touchy in that way. There's nothing to be jealous about. We are nothing more than close friends and colleagues." 
 

"I just can't believe how I tried to avoid you after that." Eunbi face-palmed, "I could have asked you myself first before jumping into conclusion."

Chaeyeon pushed herself up to place a soft peck on Eunbi's pouting lips.

 

"Yeah. Do you really thought that I could move on from you? The great Kwon Eunbi?" 
 

Eunbi laughs and pinched Chaeyeon's cheeks.

 

"I was really bumped after that you know? I really thought you moved on, considering the fact that we lost contact for 2 years or more." 

 

The younger girl sighs and wrapped her arm around the lawyer's waist, pulling her closer. Eunbi then rested her back against Chaeyeon's front and smiles. She always love it whenever Chaeyeon backhugs her.

 

"I'm sorry. I'm not going to pull out any excuses for not contacting you. It's my fault, I should have tried harder."

 

Shaking her head, Eunbi turned her head slightly to look into the younger's pair of guilty eyes. 

 

"I didn't initated any contact too, Chae. It's not entirely your fault. Don't blame yourself, please." 

"I'm just glad that I'm back and you are with me. Not with some other girl. That's all that matters to me." 

 

Not once had Eunbi blamed Chaeyeon for suddenly ghosting on her. She knew that Chaeyeon had her reasons and Eunbi wasn't going to time spend arguing with Chaeyeon over it when she could just rest in the arms of the girl she missed so much. The only one who could make a house feel like a home to her. 

 

"It finally felt like I'm home." Eunbi added, turning her body towards the taller and crushing her weight over Chaeyeon, causing the latter to fall back onto the mattress giggling away, "...with you."

 

"Welcome back home, love."

 

The couple stares at each other for a few seconds and without having to exchange any words, the girls knew that they are back to the high-school couple they once were.

 

Snaking her arm around the smaller's waist, Chaeyeon hugs and push Eunbi's weight down on her before placing butterly kisses on the older's lips. The lips that she missed so much for 4 years. Eunbi giggles at the featherly pecks and grab her lover's cheeks, her eyes dripping honey. 

 

"Let's go on a date tommorow to celebrate your opening of your studio."

"You don't have work?"

 

Eunbi rolled her eyes, "Nothing is more important to me than you, Chae."

 

Her words did things to Chaeyeon's chest. Her face grew red in embarassement to which Eunbi started to and poke her pinkish cheek.

 

"You're so cute."

Chaeyeon couldn't just allow herself to be the one getting teased so she smirked and flips the older girl against the soft mattress.

"And you're so beautiful." 

 

"I am?"

"Yeah." 

"Then kiss me." 

 

Chaeyeon didn't need to be told twice and the couple spent the rest of the night chatting, making out, cuddling in each other's arms. Just catching up with all the lost time with their heart at peace. 

Those 4 years that separated them allowed them to learn that nothing can fill the avoid in their hearts except for each other. 

They are each other's homes.