Chapter 5

Family

It was dark when Taeyeon opened her eyes. Confused she lifted herself off the ground and inspected her surroundings. The comfort of her bed was gone and instead, she was surrounded by darkness except for a speck of light in the distance. Seeing that there was nothing else other than the light she stood up and made her way to it. Upon closer inspection that the light was streaming through a door. A sudden dread washed over her and she broke in a cold sweat when she recognized the very familiar door. Hesitantly she reached out to the doorknob and turned it. A pair of familiar voices started to reach her ears. 

"It is all your fault! If you couldn't control your urges then why did you have to knock me up?! Now we are left with that thing! I didn't even want it!" A woman started to scream. 

"What are you yelling at me for? If it wasn't for you coming at me we wouldn't have this problem. It wasn't my fault that you had to get pregnant! If you hadn't stopped taking your birth control then we wouldn't be having this conversation!" A man yelled back.

"So it's my fault?! It's you who couldn't think straight and had to take me without any protection. It's you who should take care of her! You and your family. Instead, we are in this rundown apartment! All because of her!" The woman countered.

"Oh, your real motive comes out. All you had your eye on was my family's money, wasn't it? Well sorry to disappoint you but they disapproved of that child anyway so there won't be any backing from them. Since you won't be getting any money anyways do me a favor and take it with you when you leave alright?" He waved dismissingly at the woman and turned away from her with a huff. 

Ah, this is a dream. 

Taeyeon knew this couldn't be real. As she had experienced this scene firsthand already. Before her uncle had taken her in this was a common occurrence. From what she had seen and heard is that her parents never really had any love between them and that she was an unexpected mistake and setback in their life. Her mother was a beautiful vain woman who came from nothing but knew how to use her looks to entice men and her father was a rich spoiled degenerate son of a rich family who used his family's money to satisfy his needs for women. They both met each other coincidentally in a club and from there they continued their sinful relationship. 

At first, they would meet each other only a handful of times but then their meetups became more and more frequent which turned into almost every day. They thought that those foolish days would last forever but like all good things, it had to come to an end. In their endeavors, they weren't careful enough and Taeyeon was conceived thus their fun ended and they had to face reality. As soon as the news reached the ears of her father's family he was released as the heir and her mother carrying her had to kiss her other boy toys goodbye as she was pregnant thus leading to their resentment towards her.  

The moment she was born both of her parents neglected her. Most of the time her parents were out partying and when they were home they argued at all times. This was one of the memories she had of them when they argued and she didn't want to see it. She released the doorknob but as soon as she let go of it her parents ceased their arguing and faced her. Taeyeon stared at them like a deer caught in headlights and she tried to move but was paralyzed by the disdain in their eyes. 

"Ah look what pest has made its existence present. Here I hoped that it would rot away on its own but here it is." Her father sneered at her with contempt. 

"Oh don't be so nice to her," her mother said and she kneeled in front of Taeyeon with a smile. She placed a hand on Taeyeon's trembling cheek and it. "Do you know why we named you Taeyeon?" she asked. 

Taeyeon slowly shook her head while her eyes fearfully examined her mother's smiling face which exuded no warmth despite the smile. "A calm child would be no trouble and a calm child wouldn't be heard. Instead, you would die without being heard and that is what we want. You should have never existed Taeyeon." Her mother's smile disappeared and with both hands, she grabbed Taeyeon's neck and started to squeeze. 

"Urgh!" Taeyeon struggled and grabbed at the hands squeezing her neck. This was a dream but the sensation of being choked felt so real and she started to look for help. Her eyes made contact with her father's but he didn't lift a finger and stared at the scene with glee. Her conscious was fading slowly as she grew weaker and weaker and the last thing she saw was the disgusting sick expression of her parents. 

Taeyeon gasped and she sprung up from her bed. She was breathing heavily and her heart was ramming against her ribcage. She immediately grasped her sweat covered face in exhaustion and tried to steady her breath. 

"It's okay. Just a dream. Just a dream. Everything is okay.." She chanted those words to reassure herself and it worked as her breathing slowed down. She plopped back into the mattress exhausted. She ran a hand through her hair and sighed deeply.

It had been a while since she had a dream about her parents. She wasn't prepared at all for this. She thought with Tiffany by her side these dreams would be gone but she was wrong. She let one arm fall to her side expecting it to meet with a warm body but it didn't. Instead, it met with a cold soft surface and Taeyeon looked to her side with panic in her eyes. Tiffany was supposed to be sleeping next to her but she wasn't there. Dread washed over her and she scrambled off the bed. 

"Tiffany. Tiffany. Where are you?! Tiffany!" she started to mumble as she looked around her room in a panic. When she was nowhere to be seen in her room Taeyeon scrambled off the bed towards the door. However, when she was about to grab the doorknob the door opened and a person walked in. Taeyeon barely managed to avoid the door that was coming her way but collided with someone instead which send both tumbling on the ground. 

"Ugh.... Wha? Taeyeon unnie?" Tiffany groaned in pain and confusion.  

Taeyeon's eyes widen when she recognized the voice and she immediately propped herself up. Tiffany was sprawled underneath her looking up with confusion written all over her face. She was about to ask if Taeyeon was okay when the latter grabbed her face and squished it. Then she moved Tiffany's head to the left and right as if to make sure that she was truly there. The panic that was running all over Taeyeon's face subsided with each turn of her head and she let out a sigh of relief.

"You are still here...." Taeyeon whispered and lowered herself back down onto Tiffany with her head resting against her chest. Tears were flowing from her eyes as she relaxed as she listened to Tiffany's heartbeat. She wasn't gone. She was still here. 

Tiffany was still confused at the way Taeyeon was acting all she could do was hold her tight. She didn't think that a trip to the restroom would make Taeyeon panic. She her hair gently and waited for her to calm down. 

When Taeyeon ceased her crying Tiffany gently put her hands on her shoulder to push her up and they went back to the bed to lie back down. They were both lying side by side gazing at each other while Tiffany was holding tightly onto Taeyeon's hand. There was a comfortable silence between them but Taeyeon was wondering why Tiffany wasn't asking her anything. She must have so many questions about her sudden outburst but if she did she never showed it in her behavior. Taeyeon took a deep breath and gave Tiffany one last look before she made up her mind. 

"My parents didn't want me." Taeyeon started as she studied Tiffany's expression and when she found that she wasn't shocked she continued. "I was an unwanted child and my parents were neglecting me as they went on with their life as if I didn't exist. Their families also denied my existence. I was left alone without anyone taking care of me until my father's brother came to get me. Uncle was the only one who cared for me. He always made sure to visit me and make sure that I wasn't starving and that I attended school. He was the only one who cared for me. I was relieved that one day he showed up and told me to pack my bags and leave with him. My parents didn't object. They only watched me leave with empty eyes. Sometimes I ask myself if there was a point behind my birth. If I had to go through such pain in the first place it would have been better if I had never been born." Taeyeon laughed. "It's funny to me how affected I get by this too. I never felt love for my parents but when I remember the look in their eyes I can't feel but hurt. I'm not supposed to feel sad so why am I sad?" 

Tears were dripping down her face while she was laughing awkwardly. She expected Tiffany to smile with her but she was looking at Taeyeon with a pained expression. She could feel her hand being squeezed tightly as another cupped her cheek gently. 

"There is nothing wrong with feeling that way Unnie," Tiffany said as she her cheek slowly with her thumb. "It's normal to feel sad about sad things. There is no shame in that. However, I hope you won't ever think that it was better that you would have never been born. I am glad that you were born." Tiffany smiled at her warmly as she said the last sentence. She closed the distance between them and embraced Taeyeon. "I won't ever leave you so please don't worry anymore. I will be here now and forever." 

Fresh new tears spilled from Taeyeon's eyes as the warmth enveloped her. It was at this moment that she felt like the reason why she was born was to meet Tiffany. Her words gave her the hope that she would never be lonely again. 

----------------------------------------------

An update wohoooo. I had this done for awhile but I forgot about it lol need to organize my files. 

I hope I made someones day by updating this. Lately the news have been pretty rough but I hope everybody is alright and well. Stay healthy my peeps alright! Welp I'm off and I'm going to try updating other stuff. <3