Two different sides

Behind Every Smile

For as long as he could remember his life had always been revolving around his father's work. Instead of playing like every other child, his father kept him close. In the beginning, he had enjoyed it, had been happy about being near his father, especially when he learned that most children like him didn't get to see their father's often. It was only when he began to age that he couldn't help but wonder why his father never let him near anyone without him or a bodyguard around. Unlike every other kid, he had been taught by a private tutor, told often to always be careful about how he makes himself appear to the public. That his image wasn't just his alone, that because he was a Park, whatever he does would reflect on not only his father's household but the company he would one day run when his father retires.

Even at a young age, he felt angry. Angry that he wasn't allowed to do as he wished or like any of those on the screen of the television in the living room. But the thing is his longing to go outside and play were great and that alone was his. His anger and his emotions even if he had to hide it from the people with the cameras were his. Like his father said, "One day you will learn how to deal with it, but remember never forget that when you're outside anyone can recognize you." 

At first, he was content with playing with the lead butler in his home, at times even his father joined but after a while, it wasn't enough. With his father busier each day and his butler becoming predictable the games were no longer fun. They could no longer hold his attention. He wanted to play with children his own age. Initially, whenever he would bring up the question if he could go out and get to know the children who lived nearby or head to the nearest park to their home, the harsh no was the one word that would get him to cry. Especially when his father would glower and pace when he would question him. The sight alone had scared him before. The thought that he had upset his father and done something wrong plaguing, it wouldn't leave until his mother would come and comfort him. Her words soft, and her warm embrace soothing and like every other time she would say, "When your older, you'll understand."

Days would go by until finally, at the age of seven he would get the chance to play with others his age, but like everything else, there was always a condition. Having to make sure to have their bodyguards were near and if they ever saw any strange men or women looking at them to inform their bodyguards immediately. Another condition his father had placed was to make sure to never upset the other child. In his eyes at that time it wasn't fair, the other boys and girls sometimes had taken his toys, but just like he was told he listened. Even if it meant his toys would get ruined or taken away only to be replaced after the playdate. 

Now however at the age of 23, Jimin understood that his father had been getting him ready all along. Despite the limited amount of time, he had to enjoy and bask in his childhood he also had to grow up quickly. As the only heir to Park Industries and with his father growing older each day, the need to get him ready just in case was on everyone's mind. There was a lot he would one day have to look over and with each task that he had done with his father overseeing him he strived. It became easier and he began to bury himself deeper into each new assignment he received and each project he had to overlook. Making his way into the bathroom after detangling himself from his bed sheets his mind goes back to the articles he had seen just the other day. 

With the new bit of information, he now understood why his father had been so reluctant about leaving him alone or around anyone else that wasn't family. The name of the family that had died in the car accident had been big news when he was a baby. The small amount of evidence and the tip that came in after the ambulance had gotten there had raised many red flags. With no one having been found in the abandon wrecked car and no fingerprints retrieved many had been upset. The realization that someone had gone after one of the major Ceo's and gotten away world-shattering. Remembering the headline, Jimin turns on the sink. His mind going back to every article he had stumbled upon.

A Tragic Night In Seoul, CEO Kim Dahyun and Family Deceased

Kim Industry without an heir?

CEO Kim Dahyun in critical condition, Jeong Hyeon-don overlooking Kim Industries.

Jeong Hyeon-don, guardian of Kim heir.

Kim Industry heir, tragic loss.

Washing his face with cold water, Jimin groans as he looks up. At the sight of his black hair in a tangled mess, and blue eyes staring back at him, he sighs. The advice for him to go out and find himself now present. Letting out a shuddering breath when he actually takes a good look into the mirror, the shell of himself that he sees he realizes is nothing but smoke and mirrors. What he did was truly not what he wanted. He wanted to live his own life. Wanted to find his own sun. Wanted to be able to truly be happy and get to know someone who wouldn't care about his status or the money to his name. 

He didn't want to be like his father.

'When will I find what I've been looking for this entire time?'


Staring at the flames of the fireplace, Jeong Hyeon-don remains silent. Having sent most of his maids and butlers home, he only kept a select few. Reaching for his glass of bourbon his eyes flicker to the framed picture to the right. Moving around in his seat he reaches over for it, his hand trembling. As his hand grasps onto his most precious memory he rests against his seat. Grabbing his glasses from the front of his pocket. When his eyes land on her face his mind goes back to the day she got engaged. 

"Hyeon-don! Hyeon!"

Turning around when he sees her wide doe eyes and grin he can't help but smile. Opening his arms when she throws herself into them he can't help but spin her around. With the sun up high in the sky, and the wind softly blowing the tension in his shoulders rolls off in waves. Deciding to forget about the contract on his desk and the appointment he had later on with a new client. At her loud laughter, he comes to a stop. Carefully as he let's go he settles her once more on the ground and it right there when he notices the immediate change. At the sight of her nervous, he can't help but start to worry. 

"What's wrong?"

Instead of answering she laces their hands together. Letting himself being pulled away he can't help but look around. Wondering if someone was bothering her being the very first thing to come to mind, along with the question that concerned her boyfriend. When she sits down he remains standing. When she lifts her hand and he sees the ring his heart aches. 

"H-he proposed?"

When he sees her starting to blush while nodding, he smiles. Pulling her into an embrace he ignores the longing and jealousy growing. "I'm happy for you. He just...h-he better treat you right. You'll tell me if he doesn't right?"

Moving back, as he stares at her, he wishes he hadn't waited. 

"Of course."

"Did you tell your parents?"

"No, I wanted to tell you first."

At the sound of glass breaking, he sits up in his seat. Seeing the maid scrambling to clean up the broken glass he huffs before once more settling himself in his armchair. Thumb running over her face, he quickly takes a sip before he's looking away. Staring once more into the dancing flames his mind goes back to the night the love of his life was ripped away from him. 

Just as the meeting was coming to an end the sound of his phone ringing has him laughing at the look from his partners. Not recognizing the number he ignores the call. Just as he began signing a few more contracts his phone goes off again. The same number from before flashing. Excusing himself as he makes his way into the hall, he answers, "Hello?"

"Am I speaking with Jeong Hyeon-don?"

Eyes furrowing he ignores the looking from the see-through glass, turning around he focuses back to the conversation. "Yes, this is he."

"There's been an accident involving...."

"W-what?"

Quickly rushing into the room, he quickly informs them that an emergency came up. With each word the man said, the pounding in his ears got louder, the blood rushing through his vein ending his heart racing. At the brief flicker of her face and her newborn son, he's sending a text to his driver. By the time he gets to the hospital she's long gone and her son is left with no family. Staring at the boy in the intensive care unit, he listens quietly to every word the doctor says along with the Kim Lawyer and the officer. 

"Mr. Jeong?"

Turning around Hyeon, makes his way down the hall. As his butler begins to inform him about what had happened in the kitchen he just hopes that nothing would get out of hand. He didn't need Taehyung overhearing anything.


Despite the fact that his room was kept far out of reach from any of the maids or butlers, the sound of one angry voice could still be heard. It echoed throughout the halls, his voice cold and gravely not only because of his age but because of the hurt and anger that had coiled around his heart. At times like this Taehyung really couldn’t do anything but wish for time to rewind so that somehow his parents could have lived instead of dying that cold and rainy day of the accident. If it was an accident even to begin with. From what he had been told his parents despite being very kind and generous had many enemies. As the only heir to the Kim Corporations, he was kept out of sight. Taught by teachers in private he learned a lot, learned about the company he would one day take over and learned that his parents were hated by many, but that as long as his guardian was alive all would be alright. And he believes it, did believe it before, but now not so much. 

At the sound of a slap, he frowns, if one were to ask him when he was younger what he thought of the man who raised him he would have sung nothing but praises about him. The gentle smiles, the races down the halls, the cooking sessions in the kitchen, the endless amount of toys all he could remember growing up. But now no matter how kind he was still treated by the very man the sight of strained smiles, purple and yellow bruises that littered the women who tended the house and the groans of pain that escaped the men who carried loads of heavy products and new furniture in and out of the mansion changed his view. He honestly doesn’t know how he missed it growing up. Everywhere he went he saw it.

The workers, of course, would smile and wave at him, attend to his every whim or keep him company when he really needed it. But the slight groans and whispers as they quietly confided and sought comfort from one another had his heart clenching. He wishes he could say something, but the anger he had heard and seen the results after had him wondering if he did ask if it would only make matters worse. When the sound of glass shattering brakes through the air Taehyung trembles. Moving to the front of the bed he clutches harshly onto the sheets beneath him. When everything goes silent, he holds his breath, eyes wide and ears straining for any sound of approaching steps or the sound of a gun reloading. Just as he begins to relax heavy steps sound. At the clicking and turning of the knob, he wills himself to stay still and banish the fear from his eyes. Loosening his hold on the pillow he grabbed on instinct he smiles. 

At the sight of black hair swept back and dark brown eyes framed behind glasses softening once they land on him he swallows back the bile taste of vomit when he sees the slight stain of blood on the cuffs of his sleeves. Eyes zeroing in on it for a second he wonders, why haven't they said anything? Why haven't they called the police?

Why do they still work for him?

Swallowing the lump in his throat, Taehyung looks up at brown eyes. 

"I'm sorry you had to hear that. How has your day been Taehyungie?"

"It’s alright, I was listening to music earlier. Everything has been great so far. Sejin took me with him when he went to buy groceries."

"Ah, that's good. Do you need anything? A new phone, earring, shoes?"

"No, Mr.Jeong. I have everything I need. Thank you for asking.”

“Good night, Taehyung. I’ll see you tomorrow. I have big plans for us.”

“Good night, Mr. Jeong.”

At the click and locking of the door, his shoulders slump. Wrapping his arms around his legs the stinging in his eyes burn. Grabbing his phone from underneath his pillow he clutches it tightly to his chest. He didn’t have anyone but Sejin to call and he wasn’t about to make the male wake up and keep him company. Not when tomorrow was his only day off since last month. Burying himself further into the bed his eyes flicker to the locked door. Swinging his leg over, he silently makes his way to the door. Kneeling down he pulls the swiss knife from his pocket. Sliding it between the door and frame he grits his teeth. Moving it a bit harshly he feels tears threatening to fall as the pained sounds of a worker sound in the night. As the minutes' tick by he nearly growls as he throws it to the side. Rubbing his eyes the sob that escapes his lips is quiet. 

'Why'd you leave me with him?'


Next Day

Once dressed and ready, Taehyung moves back into the bathroom. Grabbing the colored lenses he stares into his own grey eyes for a moment, before he begins to pull out the brown contacts. After putting them in, he waits silently by the door. When the knob begins to turn he moves back, his eyes wide and his hope high. When it opens and he sees Sejin he's smiling. Embracing the older male, he looks away at the question in his eyes. Hiding his face into the crook of his neck Taehyung remains silent. Hoping that he wouldn't ask, he clenches his fists when he hears him ask, "Why are you wearing them? You don't need contacts Taehyung. Your eyes the way they are, are beautiful."

Shrugging Taehyung pulls away, ignoring Sejin's sigh he follows after him. Clutching tightly onto his arm as they walk down the hallway he remembers the utter look of anger from before. The memory trying to take over one he didn't want to remember, not now and not ever. But still his voice echoes. 

You're eyes.

You look just like her, but you have his damn eyes. 

You have his eyes, why?

When he sees Mr. Jeong outside by the limo the bright smile sent his way has Taehyung smiling. 'He's in a good mood. I just have to make sure it stays that way.'

As hands straighten his tie and wipe away the invisible dust, he doesn't miss the quietly uttered sentence, "You have her eyes now."

'When will someone except me for me?'