Prologue

Behind Every Smile

Despite the fact that his room was kept far out of reach from any of the maids or butlers, the sound of one angry voice could still be heard. It echoed throughout the halls, his voice cold and gravely not only because of his age but because of the hurt and anger that had coiled around his heart. At times like this Taehyung really couldn’t do anything but wish for time to rewind so that somehow his parents could have lived instead of died that cold and rainy day of the accident. If it was an accident even to begin with. From what he had been told his parents despite being very kind and generous had many enemies. As the only heir to the Kim Corporations, he was kept out of sight. Taught by teachers in private he learned a lot, learned about the company he would one day take over and learned that his parents were hated by many, but that as long as his guardian was alive all would be alright. And he believes it, did believe it before, but now not so much.

At the sound of a slap, he frowns, if one were to ask him when he was younger what he thought of the man who raised him he would have sung nothing but praises about him. But now no matter how kind he was treated by the very man the sight of strained smiles, purple and yellow bruises that littered the women who tended the house and the groans of pain that escaped the men who carried loads of heavy products and new furniture in and out of the mansion changed his view. He honestly doesn’t know how he missed it growing up.

Everywhere he went he saw it. The workers of course would smile and wave at him, attend to his every whim or keep him company when he really needed it. But the slight groans, and whispers as they quietly confided and sought comfort from one another had his heart clenching. He wishes he could say something, but the anger he had heard and seen the results after had him wondering if he did ask, if it would only make matters worse.

When the sound of glass shattering brakes through the air Taehyung trembles. Moving to the front of the bed he clutches harshly onto the sheets beneath him. When everything goes silent, he holds his breath, eyes wide and ears straining for any sound of approaching steps or the sound of a gun reloading. Just as he begins to relax heavy steps sound. At the clicking and turning of the knob, he wills himself to stay still and banish the fear from his eyes. Loosening his hold on the pillow he grabbed on instinct he smiles. 

At the sight of black hair swept back and dark brown eyes framed behind glasses softening once they land on him he swallows back the bile taste of vomit when he sees the slight stain of blood on the cuffs of his sleeves.

"I'm sorry you had to hear that. How has your day been Taehyungie?"

"It’s alright, I was listening to music earlier. Everything has been great so far. Sejin took me with him when he went to buy groceries."

"Ah, that's good. Do you need anything? A new phone, earring, shoes?"

"No, Mr.Jeong. I have everything I need. Thank you for asking.”

“Good night, Taehyung. I’ll see you tomorrow. I have big plans for us.”

“Good night, Mr.Jeong.”

At the click and locking of the door, his shoulders slump. Wrapping his arms around his legs the stinging in his eyes burn. Grabbing his phone from underneath his pillow he clutches it tightly to his chest. He didn’t have anyone but Sejin to call and he wasn’t about to make the male wake up and keep him company. Not when tomorrow was his only day off since last month. Burying himself further into the bed his eyes flicker to the locked door. 


 

Smiling at the male before him, Jimin can't help but wonder why he's never seen him before. By the tailored outfit, the other was wearing he could tell that he was either a well-paid worker or the son of a great company.

Just before he can properly introduce himself and ask for his name a firm voice breaks through the silence.

"Taehyung!"

Turning around Jimin school his features at the sight of Jeong Hyeon-don. There was nothing good about that man, it didn’t matter how kind he seemed everyone knew he was a terrible man. Politely bowing he watches as the older man tightly grips the male before him and shoves him into who he believes to be their bodyguard. "Taehyung you shouldn't be running off. When I tell you to stay with Sejin you stay with him."

At the slight nod, Jimin watches as the chaebol turns on his heel and waves his hand for them to follow. Eyes narrowed he glares into the back of the older male before his eyes land on the bodyguard rubbing his hand along Taehyung's back. His eyes soft and words a whisper before he holds his hand and leads them down the hall. 

After that all his mind can think about is the brown haired boy. He didn’t think Jeong Hyeon-don had a kid. Everyone would know, he was confident about that, unless he was really secretive about his family. It was finally at dinner after having found nothing on the man, that his curiosity won and he found himself asking his father.

“A boy? Ha. Jimin, Hyeon-don doesn’t have a wife, and he most certainly doesn’t have a child. He doesn’t have a family. No one would ever want to live with a man like him. Maybe if it was two decades ago, but not now. But even if anyone did try, he wouldn’t be interested in them. He was never interested in anyone but her.”

“Who?”

“It doesn’t matter Jimin. Nothing about that man matters, now eat your dinner.”

Thinking back about the bright smile that vanished as brown eyes lowered to the ground, Jimin decided he'd find a way to run into the male again.