Vanilla scent

Nearest, Dearest

—-

Despite being around Yuri in the past week, Yena forgot to ask for the girl’s number.  Yena decided to go to the store by herself and bought Yuri some snacks too. At least She did not want to stop by her house empty handed.    Yena stopped in front of the neighbor’s house and looked up to the window at the second floor, supposedly Yuri’s bedroom.    Yena was wondering what she might be doing at this hour and whether it was a good idea to bother her now.

 

While being undecisive, Yena received a message from her brother.

*Beep*

 

-Where are you, duckie? Mom asked-

 

 

-I’m at home- Yena responded. Yena encouraged herself to hit the door bell but got interrupted.

 

 

*Beep*, -Where are my snacks?-

 

 

-5 mins-, Yena texted back. Her finger was one inch away from the door bell,

 

 

*Beep*, *Beep*, *Beep*

 

 

Yena was annoyed by her brother’s spamming texts. She ignored his texts, but there again, another alert. “Fine, I’ll give him the snacks first”, Yena was about to leave but the neighbor’s gate was opened which took her by surprise.

 

 

“Hey…”,   the only word that came out of Yena.

 

 

“Hi unnie, What are you doing here?”,   Yuri seemed to be curious about Yena’s unexpected presence.

 

 

“Ah- This…,”  Yena showed Yuri the plastic bags she got from the store. 

 

 

“I actually bought some for you too”,  said Yena.

 

Yuri’s expression was lid after she heard the older girl. 

 

“I was looking for you but I realized I don’t have your number”, said Yena.

 

 

“Looking for me?”, asked Yuri.

 

 

“Because I told the members that you had helped me,... they would like to invite you to watch the play”,

“Of course, only if you want to”,

Yena gave Yuri a smile to reassure Yuri that she did not have to come if she was not interested.

 

 

 

Yuri then asked,

“What about you?”

 

 

 

“Me? What is it about me?”, asked Yena.

 

 

 

“Do you want to invite me?”,   Yuri asked teasingly 

She gave Yena a sly smile. 

 

 

 

 

Yena, while avoiding to make eye contact, answered: “Yah, It’s not about me, I’m not the type to force anyone”.

 

 

Yuri spoke with a sarcastic tone, “Ah I SEE, I’ll just take the snacks then”, Yuri snatched one bag full of snacks from Yena.

 

 

 

“Hey, don’t be greedy! Are you gonna eat all that?”,

Yena was trying to get the snacks back but Yuri refused and moved her hand away. 

Yena then aimed for the other hand but she grabbed something from Yuri’s hand instead. She looked at it.

 

“A movie?”, “The haunted-…”, Yena was reading the cover out loud    but Yuri stole it back from her before she finished.

 

 

“That’s mine”, said Yuri. 

 

 

“Are you going to watch that?”, asked Yena curiously.

 

 

“I want to”, Yuri pouted at Yena.

 

 

Yena thought, perhaps, Yuri was looking for her as well.

Yena smiled at her, she thought it was possible that Yuri was about to come to Yena’s house to watch a movie.

 

“Do you, perhaps,… want to watch the movie with me?”, Yena asked playfully but Yuri did not answer.

 

 

“Haha Jo Yuri, you are scared right.   You don’t want to watch it alone”,    Yena continued to .

 

 

“I’m not scared!     

I just thought you may like it.   That’s it”, answered Yuri.

 

 

“It’s alright…Unnie understand. I’ll watch it too.

Don’t be scared, okay?”, said Yena while wrapping her arm around Yuri’s shoulder.

Yuri only frowned at her.

 

 

“Ahem…”

 

 

Yena heard a familiar voice and she hurriedly removed her arm from the girl’s shoulder.

The voice belonged to her brother. 

 

 

“I was afraid something bad happened”, said Sungmin. He had a satisfying look on his face. 

“Apparently, you were having a good time”, He smirked at Yena.

 

 

 

“Wh- We- were just talking!”, Yena raised her voice. 

 

 

He laughed at her.

“I’m just going to take my snacks,... Hey Yuri”, He waved at Yuri and slowly walked back inside the house.

“You two should get back inside before it gets colder”, he said one last time before closing the door.

 

 

 

 

Yena and Yuri suddenly felt awkward because of Sungmin’s remarks. 

“Uh- ..Unnie do you still want to watch it?”, Yuri finally spoke. 

 

 

“Okay, let’s go”, Yena then led Yuri to her house. 

 

 

 

Yena and Yuri talked with Ms.Choi before going upstairs to Yena’s room.  Ms.Choi told Yuri that she could sleep over if it was getting late and Yuri thanked her for that.  Yuri called her parents and let them know that she might not come home tonight.  Yena jokingly reminded her mom and Yuri that Yuri’s house was ten feet away.

 They did not have to make a big deal out of it.

 

 

In Yena’s room, while Yena was setting up a DVD player, Yuri arranged the seats by unfolding Yena’s mattress on the floor.

She had blankets, pillows and some dolls including the ducky they got.  Snacks and drinks were ready.

 

 

“Okay, ready?”, asked Yena. 

Yena turned off the light and jumped into the spot next to Yuri. The movie was starting…

 

 

“Wait it says, episode 1.....it’s a series?”, asked Yena loudly.

 

 

 

‘yes’, Yuri whispered. 

 

 

 

“Why are you whispering?” 

 

 

 

“Chuuu…..”, said Yuri. Yena then covered with one hand.

 

 

 

As the movie was playing forward, Yena and Yuri were unintentionally moving closer to each other and they eventually shared the blanket.  

 

 

‘okay okay’, Yuri was preparing herself as the antagonist was walking alone in the hallway.

 

 

 

“Arggggggggg!!”, Yena screamed loudly which startled Yuri who was sitting next to her.

 

 

 

“Argggggggg, WHERE??”, Yuri also screamed. There was still no sign of supernatural stuff yet. 

 

 

 

“Oh Man! This is scary”, said Yena.

 

 

“Unnie! Nothing has even appeared yet, you startled me!”, Yuri complained. 

 

 

 

Yena ignored the younger girl and now watching through her fingers. Yuri frowned upon the unnie who told her to not be scared. 

 

 

 

When the ghost actually appeared, only Yuri was screaming this time

 

 

“Arggggggggggg”, She hugged Yena who was now under the blanket. 

 

 

"Yah Yah! Don't scare me", Yena screamed under the blanket.

 

 

 

 

The first episode ended after one hour. Yuri was still hugging Yena who was cuddling with herself in the blanket. 

For Yena, it was more like a radio's story because she could only hear the sound. 

 

 

“Unnie,.. Did you even watch?”, asked Yuri curiously.

 

 

Yena mumbled something but Yuri could not understand her words. Yuri then uncovered the blanket. She asked,

 

 

“Do you want to continue?”

 

 

 

“Can’t you tell that I’m scared?”, Yena spoke frustratingly

 

 

 

"Me too”, Yuri replied. “But I do want to continue”.

 

 

Yena was bitting her lip, not sure if she wanted to continue but Yuri looked at her with the puppy’s eyes.

 

“Ok-ay…”,

Yena who was now hugging her legs moved closer to Yuri, her armed slightly touched Yuri’s. 

Yuri chuckled at Yena, she then linked her arm with Yena’s. The series continued to the next episode.

 

 

 

 

Without realizing the time, three more episodes had passed. They both relaxed a little as they adjusted to the scariness of the series. 

Yuri naturally rested her head on Yena’s shoulder which distracted Yena from the series.

She could smell the scent of Yuri’s hair, vanilla. 

Yena secretly peeked at Yuri while keeping her head straight so the younger girl would not notice.

 

After sometime,

Yena tried to fix her eyes on the TV but she was not really watching it.  Her shoulder started to ache and it was already 1 AM in the morning. 

 

 

‘Yuri…’, Yena whispered but she got no response.

 

 

“Yuri, unnie think it’s late”, said Yena one more time. She still did not get the response. 

 

 

She poked Yuri but found that the girl had fallen asleep on her shoulder.

 

 

‘Since when did she fall asleep?’ Yena scratched her head. 

She carefully moved Yuri’s head to the pillow and laid her down. Yena put the blanket on top of her. 

Yena stopped the series and moved to her bed but Yuri grabbed her pants. 

 

 

“I’m still scared, unnie..”, Yuri padded the spot next to her, gestured Yena to come close.

 

 

Yena let Yuri pulled her closer, she laid down next to her. Yuri then closed her eyes, she was sleeping on the side and turned to Yena.

Yena was laying on her back, her eyes were still opened, maybe it was because of the series that made her felt awake.

Yena stayed still, did not want to move because of the other person.

 

 

 

 

 

The vanilla scent was the last thing she thought about before falling asleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[In the morning]

 

Yuri woke up feeling really heavy.  Apparently, Yena’s leg was on top of her.  Yena was still sleeping peacefully, a smile plastered on her ducking face. 

Yuri slowly moved Yena’s leg and tugged Yena in the blanket.    Yuri did not want to disturb Yena, so she was silently standing up.  She adjusted her hair and reached for her phone. But Yena was finally awake.

 

 

“Mooorninng….”, Yena greeted while yawning.  Her hair was messy. She was still cuddling in the blanket.

 

“I’m sorry..I'm about to leave. Did I wake you up?”, Yuri thought she was being too loud. 

 

 

 

 

“Aren’t you gonna wash off the stains on your face first?”, Yena spoke with her eyes closed.

 

“You were drooling over me last night”, she added.

 

 

 

 

 

“Wh—at”, Yuri touched her face and turned to the mirror.   She did not see any stain though.

 

 

 

 

 

Yena was smiling, her eyes were half opened.

‘I got yah’, she said with a soft tone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yuri said while pouting “I’m leaving!  good night”. 

Yena turned her back to Yuri and probably falling back to sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But before the door was closed, Yuri heard Yena’s voice

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Just come anyway”, 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yena’s was still having her back faced to Yuri's direction.

Yuri paused for a moment, not sure if she was hearing things or Yena was sleep talking.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But then she heard Yena’s voice again:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Even if you aren’t interested,…. just come anyway”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yuri did not respond, but a smile curved on her face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was after the door closed that Yena realized something:

'Ah, I forgot to ask again', she mumbled before falling back to sleep.