You wanna bet?

Nearest, Dearest

 

This is not Yuri’s first time to write a song. Technically, she did not write the song, she merely helped with the melody.  Yuri was somehow a little bit better at creating a melody.

They both thought they worked together better than they expected.

Yena, though usually showed playful sides of her, became serious when she worked.  On the other hand, Yuri was more easygoing than anyone would think. 

Four hours passed and they managed to wrap-up one song.

 

 

“We finished it!” They both said happily.

 

 

 

“Are you hungry?”, Yena asked. “I’ll treat you some fried chickens”.

 

 

 

“I love fried chickens!” Yuri got so excited. 

 

 

 

 

—-

 

 

They got in a subway and it took around 20 mins before arriving at a shopping district.  Yuri noticed that there were many teenagers in this area. She followed Yena to a small alley and they entered a fried chicken shop.  The place only has 7-8 tables and they sat at the corner by the window.  

 

 

 

“What would you like?” Yena asked. 

 

“I’m not sure, what is famous here?”, Yuri quickly glanced to the menu on the table.

 

 

“Well, I recommend-” 

 

 

“Look who is here,” Suddenly, a guy came to our table and interrupted Yena. He stood by her.

 

 

“Don’t you remember your sister?”, Yena snapped at him.

 

 

“Let’s see, It’s been quite a while since the last time she came”, he jokingly added. “Usually, she comes when she wants my treat”.

 

 

 

Yena looked at him unbelievably.

 

 

“Anyway, we haven’t met, have we? I’m Choi Sungmin. This little duck’s brother” 

 

 

Yuri giggled at the nickname he gave to Yena. She did look like a duck.

 

“Hi Oppa!, My name is Jo Yuri”, Yuri paused for a moment, tried to think how to describe her relationship with Yena. Before she could say anything, Yena spoke. 

 

 

 

“You would have met her if you come home”. 

 

 

“How is that so?” Sungmin asked.

 

 

“She is our neighbor and my new friend at school too”. Yena then flashed a smile to Yuri.

 

“Let’s order, loooots of food now”. Yena did not let Sungmin ask further.

 

“I guess my favorite would not hurt, right Yuri?”

 

 

 

“Not at all, I’ll eat up”

 

 

“Hahaha, order away, I’ll cook for both of you”

“Nice to meet Yuri, today’s my treat, alright?” Yena looked really happy when he said that. May be it was her plan after all.  Sungmin was as cheerful as Yena. Because of his friendliness, Yuri did not feel awkward around them.

 

 

“Yena, Can you help oppa prepare some drinks?”

 

“Alright, I’ll be back Yuri”. Yuri nodded and Yena went to the kitchen.

 

 

 

 

 

—-

 

In the kitchen,

 

“Did you come from school?”, asked Sungmin.

 

“Yes, we just went for the practice”

 

“Wow, Yuri is also with the club, I did not know”

 

“She is not. But she helped me write some melody”, Yena responded while reaching for a soda. 

 

“She writes songs too!? I can see you really get along with her”. 

 

Yena jokingly said, “Of course, Is there anyone I don’t get along with?”.   

 

Sungmin chuckled, “You are right”

 

 

“Where are the others?”, Yena looked around, the shop was quiet today.

 

 

“Oh, there are not many customers today, so they all left.” 

 

 

“Great! You can focus on our chickens and only.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yuri was sitting comfortably at the corner.  Her stomach was growling as she sensed the smell of fried chickens.

 

“Even your stomach sounds nice”, Yena put two glasses on the table.

 

 

Yuri felt embarrassed that her stomach was loud. 

“Tha-nk you, I just realized I haven’t eaten much since morning”

 

 

“Chickens will be ready in seconds”, Yena added.

 

 

“I like your brother’s shop. It’s comfy and quiet.” 

 

 

“I can always accompany you here”, Yena sat herself in front of Yuri, resting her face on her hand. “But I wish the place is not always quiet, then he wouldn’t treat us anymore”.

 

 

“You are genius, only when we’re here then”. 

Yena chuckled in response. Yuri changed her mind fast.

 

 

When the chickens arrived, both did not talk much.  The food was a feast and they were starving. 

 

 

“Thank you for the food!” They both said.

 

 

“Please come here often”, Sungmin said before waving good bye to the girls.

 

They were walking around the shopping district, not buying anything in particular.

Yena was quietly following the younger girl, she led Yuri leads the way. 

 

 

Yuri was excited since she was here for the first time.

 

“Wow unnie!, It’s awesome you can come here often.” “My old school does not have any shopping district nearby, here there are lots of fun people too”, Yuri was referring to a group of people dancing on the sidewalk.

 

 

“Yes, for most people”, Yena mindlessly responded while looking around. 

 

 

Yuri halted and the older girl bumped into her. “Ouch!”

 

 

“You don’t like it here?”,asked Yuri. 

 

 

“It’s not like that. I just don’t have time to come here much”. Yena gave Yuri a weak smile.

 

“Then, Is there anything you want to do?”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hmm-….., Actually there is”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Yuri, Unnie will show you how GREAT I am, you must pay attention”.

“Pick any machine you like”

 

Yena and Yuri were standing in front of a big claw machine.  In this building, there are many machines to choose from, probably up to 15. 

 

 

“Wowwww, you are really confident, Let’s see….how about this cutie little duck?”

 

 

 

 

“Leave it to me”

 

 

 

*First attempt*, the duck fell of the claw.

 

 

 

 

Yena and Yuri became quiet.

*Second attempt*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Third attempt*

 

“Unnie, go left, left more ”, and the duck slipped.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Fourth attempt*

 

 

 

 

 

“Unnie! Take it! Move! Move!” 

“YAH Yuri, Unnie need to focus, be quiet”

 

 

 

 

And Yena missed it.

 

 

 

 

“Argggg, you !”, Yuri was frustrated. “I’ll do it!”

 

 

“YAH!! I’m your Unnie!!”, Yena resisted.

 

 

“But you aren’t good!!”, Yuri used her body to push Yena aside. She took the controller and insert some more cash.

 

 

“This machine is cheating!  Let’s use the other ones.”, Yena was still protecting her pride.

 

 

Yuri couldn’t care less and she already failed the first attempt.

 

 

“See, I told you”, Yuri was so determined to try another attempt.

 

 

“Let’s go to the other-”

 

 

Second attempt, Yuri managed to get the duck.

“Wahooo!!!!!” 

 

“Wo Wowwwwwww Yuri!”, “Good job”

 

 

 

“I got it waha!, I got you!!”

 

 

“That’s because I already tried so many times and the duck just got closer!”

 

 

 

“Nope, I’m just better”, Yuri said proudly.

 

 

 

“Reaaaaally? You dare to make a bet? The loser must carry our bags home”.

 

 

“Why not?”, Yuri smirked.

 

[2 hours later]

 

 

“Today is really not my day, I used to be better, really”, Yena who was now carrying two bags complained.

 

 

Yuri giggled at the older girl. Yena couldn’t stop complaining about the claw machines all the way back. 

 

 

“I’m sure you were”, Yuri responded. Yuri, who was behind the older girl, was smiling at the figure in front, how adorable, she thought. It’s been a long day for both of them, they were silently walking down the street, heading home.

 

 

“Finally, we’re home. Your bag is heavy.”, Yena returned the bag to Yuri.  They stopped in front of the girls’ houses.

 

 

“That’s because you carried two, I told you not to”, Yuri responded.

 

 

“I took the competition seriously and I aim to win next time”. 

 

 

“Is that so?”, Yuri asked the older girl, who pretended to have a serious expression.

 

Yuri searched for something in her bag, she then gave it to Yena.

Yena was surprised by the present.

 

 

“Thank you unnie, I had fun today”.  The younger girl gave her a smile and said, “Have a good night”. 

 

 

 

Yena watched Yuri disappeared from the sight, she was starring at the ducky in her hand and chuckled. It looked cute and ridiculous, just like herself.

 

 

 

“Have you gone crazy?”, the voice snapped Yena out of her thought.

 

 

“Wah! Dad, you scared me”. 

 

 

“You are standing there, smiling for almost 10 mins”, Yena’s dad came back from work to see her standing at the front door of their house. “You did not even notice my presence”.

 

 

“I just lost in my own thoughts”

 

“About what, the puffy duck?”, Mr. Choi jokingly said, he pointed at the duck.

 

“Of course, no-”

 

 

The door swung opened, Ms. Choi called both of them to get inside.

 

“Yena, Honey! Dinner is ready. Please come inside”.

 

 

Yena put the present in the bag before following her dad into the house.