Are you kidding me?

Nearest, Dearest

 

As all the songs were complete, the orientation week was about to begin.  This week, the practice’s room was never unoccupied.  Chaeyeon had become more tensed about the play and the choreography. The other members were also under quite a pressure.  Today, Chaeyeon made every member did the last minute practice.  Yena was able to learn about fifteen choreographies within a week and earned big applause from Hyewon who took longer time than everyone.  Yena did not know how she’d have gotten through without Yuri’s help.  Because of her neighbor, the writing process was faster than expected.  At the end of the day, Kwon Eunbi stopped by the practice to catch up with the members.

 

 

 

[In the practice room]

 

“You guys did a great job”, said Eunbi. She sat down next to Yena and Chaewon.

 

 

“Chaeyeon and Hyewon are still practicing?”, asked Eunbi.

 

 

“Hyewon wanted to practice more and Chaeyeon helped her”, Chaewon answered. “How is everything unnie? We miss you”.

 

 

“I’m tired. Because of the orientation, the student council has been really busy. This is the first time we’ll have a school fair at night”.

 

 

“Really!???”, Hyewon shouted from across the room. She missed the beat which made Chaeyeon let out a big sigh.

 

 

“Yah! Yah! Kang Hyewon, should you focus on the practice?”, said Yena. 

 

 

Eunbi laughed at them, “Don’t overdo it, I think Hyewon got this”. Hyewon was delighted by Eunbi’s words but that did not stop Chaeyeon from being strict on her.  Chaeyeon requested one last round.

 

 

 

“Unnie, are we really having a school fair at night?”, asked Chaewon. 

 

 

“Yes, isn’t it awesome? Students can attend the clubs’ performances and are still able to enjoy the fair”.

 

 

“Wow, we can join too! It’s our first time”, Chaewon and Yena exclaimed happily. 

 

 

“I heard Yena composed the highlight songs for the play”, said Eunbi. “You can compose too, I’m amazed.”

 

 

 

“It’s time for you to notice my potential”, said Yena proudly.

 

 

“But Yena had some - help”, said Hyewon who stood right behind Yena.  

 

 

“Yah, it’s because of you, Kang Hyewon. I had to get some help”, Yena was referring to the moment when Hyewon assigned her the responsibility.

 

 

 

“You did? Who?”, Eunbi and Chaewon asked at the same time. “Wait, I did not know about that”, Chaeyeon added.

 

 

“Well, I did not get a chance to tell you. But I’m telling you now, I hope it’s…okay?”, Yena was reluctant to tell them the whole story.

But eventually, she was forced to do so.  She told everyone about how she had a new neighbor who coincidently attended our school.  

 

 

 

 

As expected, Chaeyeon did not like her decision, “How could you possibly ask a new student to write the songs that’ll be used on the orientation day?”. 

Yena was dumbfounded. How did she forget that part? 

The whole point of the play was to attract newbies and recruit more members to get more funding. 

 

 

Yena did not know what to say,

“Ah…It just went naturally. I mean she is my neighbor and we just hang out and hmm—, I’m sorry".

 Yena took a big gulp of air. She was feeling sorry towards the members and Yuri.  

 

 

The awkward atmosphere filled the room, no one said a word. Eunbi then laughed and broke the silence.

“You guys are too serious.         Technically, she is not a student yet until next week”.

“It’s not like she is a spy from other clubs. Don't worry”.

 

“Now, I’m more curious about how good she is, what’s her name? Yuri?”, asked Eunbi.

 

 

Yena glanced at Chaeyeon before speaking, “Yes Yuri, she is really good, she can sing too”.

 

 

“So you guys heard her sing?”, asked Eunbi. 

 

 

Apparently, none of them had ever listened to the original versions.  Eunbi requested Yena to play these versions for them.

 

 

After the songs ended, Eunbi almost cursed and Chaewon hurriedly covered .

 

Hyewon’s mouth was wide opened, she had unbelievable expression. Instead, Chaeyeon was still quiet.

 

 

“Uh- What do you guys think?”, asked Yena

 

 

 

“What were you thinking?”, Chaeyeon asked Yena with the serious look.

 

 

 

“I told you I forgot that Yuri was-”, 

 

 

“That’s not what she meant”, Eunbi interrupted Yena.

“Your friend is seriously good, and you haven’t introduced her to us",  "Are you kidding me?”, 

 

 

“We may need her for our club”, Chayeon was even more serious. 

 

 

“Eh? But she might not want to join”, said Yena. “Hmm, I’m not sure. I don’t really know”

 

 

Again, Kang Hyewon, in this kind of situation, always has a brilliant idea.

 

 

“You can convince her”, said Hyewon. “You are a friendly person, you and Chaewon can talk her into this”. “Chaewon has a trustable aura.” 

 

 

“Trustable aura?”, Chaewon who was still processing Hyewon’s words. 

 

 

“Yah Kang Hyewon! Why don’t you talk to her?”

 

 

“I will recruit other members too”, said Hyewon.

 

 

“Who’s exactly?”, Yena did not believe what she said.

 

 

“Okay, guys!”, Eunbi stopped them.  “I think you can ask her to attend the play and maybe we can talk afterward”. “Chaeyeon what do you think?”

 

 

“We can spare front row seats for her and her friends”, “Can you let her know Yena?”

 

 

“Uh- Is there a NO option?”, Yena asked them and got a death glare from Eunbi.

 

 

“I’m joking okay? Geeze, this unnie”, “But I’ll only invite her, the rest is up to Kang Hyewon this time”, said Yena.

 

 

 

 

 

 

[That night : At Yena’s house]

 

Yena had been walking in the house for forty minutes, back and forth between the front gate and the living room.  By eight o’clock, Sungmin arrived home and asked mom about his sister’s weird habit. 

 

“What’s going on here?”, asked Sungmin. 

 

 

“That’s a good question”, Ms. Choi answered. Yena’s mom was unbothered by her daughter’s behavior.  She was still watching TV while asking her son “Have you eaten yet?”.

 

 

“I already ate, but I’m craving some snacks or dessert”, Sungmin sat down in the sofa.

 

 

“That’s right, snacks sound good. I should go to the convenience store”, Yena was speaking to herself. “Should I go you the convenience store close-by?”.

 

 

“Asking who?”, said Sungmin.  “Is it even a question?”, Ms.Choi somehow ignored her children and kept watching TV.

 

 

 

“I need a friend to go to the store at night”, said Yena who was still walking in a circle.

 

 

“Why don’t you ask Yuri to go with you?”, Ms.Choi suggested. “Last week, she always came to our house”. 

 

 

“I’ll come with you, I need some snacks”, said Sungmin while standing up but Yena pressed his shoulder and he quickly went back to the sitting position. “Eh?” 

 

 

“No no no, I don’t need you”, said Yena. She then reached her hand to Sungmin. 

 

 

 

“I thought you don’t need me”

 

 

“That’s right. I only need your wallet”

 

Sungmin was having 'Are you serious?' look on his face.

Before he could say anything, Yena quickly grabbed his wallet from his hand.

 

 

 

“Buy me snacks too!”, Sungmin shouted before Yena closed the door.