Chapter Seven

where you should've been
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The streets around him were bustling with life, with energy, he can feel it right as he exits the hotel. People of all ages and social statuses choosing to greet the day with a smile. The weight that once held Woohyun down now starting to slowly decrease. He was letting it go, the false hope. Because what’s the point in having hope if it’s false and won’t lead anywhere other than to heartbreak and despair.

 

He sighs deeply, the air thick with heat and humidity levels high, he hoped that the weather in Seoul would be less extreme, not wanting his best friend to get married in such miserable temperatures. The forecast can change a lot in a week.

 

Woohyun was honestly surprised to find the main street as busy as it was, but then again he did suppose it was nearing late afternoon, dinnertime and people need to eat. The thought of getting lunch for himself before he left didn’t seem like a bad idea either. His eyes begin to browse the shop fronts on the opposite side of the street for a café or restaurant of some kind.

 

He skims the entire other side of the street and nothing seems to appeal to his appetite, not even the chicken place on the corner. He drags his gaze back to in front of him and starts to walk further, wading his way through the ocean of people, hoping something peaks his interest-

 

Their eyes connect and they stop. They stop right in the middle of the busy street.

 

A man shoves harshly past Woohyun, shoulder against shoulder but he doesn’t move. He keeps eye contact with the man in front of him.

 

Sunggyu’s shoved forward by a woman talking hastily on the phone. Woohyun reaches out and catches him. Their eyes never leave one and other.

 

“Hey.” Sunggyu whispers, voice distant, like he’s lost in the stormy sea that is his past lover’s conflicted eyes.

 

Before Woohyun can stop himself a request leaves his lips, “Wanna get coffee?”

 

Sunggyu nods, “Yeah, I’d like that.” a small smile decorating his lips.

 

The younger quickly helps his hyung to his feet, the elder takes his hand and leads him through the traffic jam of people. He doesn’t even acknowledge the cusses thrown at himself and his ex for cutting through the crowd. All that matters is that Sunggyu’s there, Sunggyu is holding his hand. His initial fears don’t even begin to rise, it wasn’t as scary as he thought.

 

The teacher places his spare hand on the glass door and pushes, a bell goes off signalling their arrival in homey café that Sunggyu vacates far too often a day. The air is cool and refreshing rather than the smothering heat both he and Woohyun were just submitted too.

 

“Welcome to Universes’ Choice- oh it’s just you Sunggyu,” a short man at the counter greets him with a sigh, “You’ve barely been gone five minutes, you really need to sort out your caffeine addiction, I mean this is the fourth time you’ve been here today and it’s only mid-afternoon-”

 

Sunggyu cuts the man off, “ you and don’t lecture me on my love for caffeine Jinho, I am your elder and you will respect me.” His face flushing red lightly.

 

Jinho rolls his eyes, “Act like it then.” He starts to press buttons on the iPad before him, rigging up Sunggyu’s regular order, a triple shot, no foam, low fat, soy latte, “Would you like anything else with that?” he adds sarcastically, knowing perfectly well that Sunggyu doesn’t stray from his regular order.

 

“Black tea with full cream milk, a slice of lemon and a teaspoon of honey left on the spoon inside the cup please.” Woohyun states, reciting his familiar order with ease, he had made the transition from coffee to tea during his first year of university. Dongwoo had recommended it after he kept complaining about the lack of sleep he was getting and the jittering in his hands. Slowly over the years-with, the help of Dongwoo-the producer had acquired a rather large tea collection that took up not one but two of his kitchen cupboards. Also an obsession with the dehydrated leaves.

 

“Okay.” The barista repeats Woohyun’s order under his breath while tapping it into the iPad, his eyes widen suddenly and his head shoots up. Jinho couldn’t believe his eyes, Sunggyu had come with a date, a date. This was unheard of and unseen, the secondary teacher had been painfully single for nearly six years. This was big news.

 

Woohyun steps forward, reaching into his pocket to retrieve his wallet, “I’ll also be paying-“

 

“What! No, you won’t be paying, I’m older, I’m meant to look after you and pay too!” Sunggyu objected profusely at the younger’s proposal.

 

But Woohyun was already at the counter and inputting his pin, “Sunggyu, I thought we decided years ago to drop the entitlements and responsibilities that came with age because you didn’t like being older than me.” He teased lightly, unsure whether he should bring things up from the past or not. He was testing the waters and the blush that deepened on his ex’s cheeks and the small ‘shut up’ that passed his lips were enough to allow Woohyun this small victory.

 

“Come on idiot, let’s just go sit down.” Sunggyu mumbled taking hold of Woohyun’s arm and began dragging him to the window table, “Thanks Jinho.” He hastily called back at the still stunned barista.

 

The short male blinks before getting out a reply, “it’s okay?” and began to absentmindedly make the tea and coffee order. His eyes never leaving the couple as they sat down, the unknown man pulling Sunggyu’s chair out for him, him laughing off the light hit the elder threw at him for the gentlemanly act. They were too far away for Jinho to eavesdrop on the conversation.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter