Chapter Four

where you should've been
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Woohyun continues driving aimlessly until he stops in a place he hasn’t been in long over five years. The two nearly three-hour trip, not evening phasing him. Only had he stopped at a couple of rests spots on his way.

 

Parking his car in the small carpark of a park. Fingers subconsciously twisting the car key and stopping the engine. And he sits there.

 

The area around him was buzzing with life and Woohyun came to the conclusion that there was a market of some sort in progress. Children tugging at their parents' clothing in excitement, groups of teenagers, couples, families, pass by his car.

 

 He stares at the conjoined hands of a young couple, how he longs to hold Sunggyu’s hand, to smile at him, to hug him, kiss him. To say ‘I love you’ one more time.

 

He holds his breath as memories flash to the front of his mind. Moments he spent with Sunggyu at this same festival six years prior. The joy on the elder’s face as he gave Woohyun a tour of the place he grew up in.

 

He’s about to start his engine again when someone knocks on his car window. Woohyun looks up alarmed, a teenage girl in a bright orange shirt is standing there with a large smile as she motions for the producer to roll his window down and against his best judgment, he does.

 

“Hi, I saw that you’ve been sitting in your car for the past thirty minutes and I wanted to make sure that you were okay?” the teen asks, the smile never leaving her face.

 

Woohyun’s startled at her question, not expecting something along those lines to leave her lips, “Um yeah, I’m fine. I just… I haven’t visited Jeon-Ju in over five years.” He brushes a hand through his messy hair, “And I guess I don’t know whether to stay or to go.”

 

“Well I definitely think you should stay, the high school is running most of the activities this year and we’re supplying the music.” She hands him a flyer of lively colours, “and there are some pretty cool stalls as well.”

 

“I guess I should check them out then.” He smiles at the girl.

 

His answer only makes her smile wider, “That’s great! I hope you enjoy yourself sir!” she waves enthusiastically at Woohyun while jogging back over to a group of other teams wearing the same shade of orange.

 

The smile falls from his lips as a sigh escapes and rolls up his window again. Pulling the keys from the ignition with one hand while the other picks up his phone and wallet from the console and getting out of the car completely, slamming it shut and clicking the lock button on his keys. The car beeps softly and the lights flash, telling Woohyun that the car is indeed locked.

 

He joins the other bystanders and wanders into the lively festival. There are rows of stalls, fresh fruit and vegetables, baked goods, handmade items, clothing, anything, you name it. The aroma of many different fragrances blending together began to tickle Woohyun’s nose and was making him hungry.

 

“Let’s do food first.” He mumbles, putting his hands in his jacket pockets along with his keys, his phone and wallet fitting nicely in his sweatpants pockets. He strolls over towards the area mainly consisting of food stalls. He spots many stalls selling traditional food, some with baked goods, salads, western food but he makes his mind up and ends up buying a salad with majority lettuce leaves, some tomato and cucumber and a secret dressing.

 

He hands the older woman serving him the correct amount of money and smiles, “Thank you.” He takes the disposable bowl from her in ret

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter