제8화

To Kill an Echo

I cover my head with a pillow, to muffle the sound of violent knocking. First, my eyes are tired as hell. Second, the door is not even locked! Whoever wishes to see me can just saunter into the room. I don't even know if the room has a lock, for god's sake. I grunt under the pillow. Who is it, you may ask. Well, I think you already know the answer. Giving up, I slip off the bed and head to the door. I yank the door open in one swift motion, revealing the purple-haired girl behind it. The yellow light of the house makes it look more red than purple. "The door is not even locked. What do you want?" I ask.

She takes the small opening of the door as an opportunity to slip inside. Once inside, she gestures me to close the door.

I close the door, walking toward her who's sitting on the bed now. "If this is your pathetic attempt to seduce me, just know I'm not in the mood--"

"Ssshh," She hisses. "Why would I even want to seduce you?"

"Well, my charming face would be a start--"

“Oh, just shut it," she says. “This Lee Sugeun … that man, he’s not human. I … I heard him. Downstairs …”

“Talk slowly, would you?”

She takes a sharp breath and closes her eyes. “Okay …” she starts. “I was going downstairs for a drink. I was looking in the cabinet when … That man came out of a room with two other men. Those men, Kai, they’re Damneds.”

At first, I just stare at her. Then crack up. “Seriously, Oh Sora. You’re just overwhelmed with this hunting gig. One of my fellow Hunter used to imagine stuff as well.”

Sora hit my shoulder. “I know a Damned when I see one!”

“I know this Lee Sugeun guy seems a bit off but keeping a Damned, and not to mention, two Damneds? That’s impossible. Damned don’t even work in groups, let alone have a somewhat master.”

“Actually, I think he’s also one," she says, "they’re talking about eating us, Kai. Come on, we have to leave.”

“That’s it, you’re drunk. What sort of drink you drank downstairs?”

Just then, rapid knocking comes from the door.

Sora stands up in alert. “They must’ve seen me. I kind of ran upstairs when they turned away.”

I rose from the bed as well. Sora behind me.

“I know you’re in there, little girl. Ah, with the Hunter as well, I presume?” It's Lee Sugeun's voice. “Gentlemen, it seems that we’re caught,” he says, to whoever it is he's with. And after that comes the sound of multiple laughs.

I freeze. Seemed like Sora wasn’t drunk after all.

“I did tell him that I’m Do Kyungsoo, right?” I ask, nervous.

“Seems like he’s not the one who has ben caught,” Sora answers, shaking as she hold me by the arm.

I glance at my wristwatch. It's almost two in the morning. I'm tired, hungry, has just gotten my two hours sleep disrupted, and about to face three Damneds. Sure, piece of bloody cake.

“Go inside the cupboard. Go, go, go!” I usher the two of us to the cupboard.

Inside the cupboard is nothing but spider webs and probably lethal, small creatures that could penetrate through my pores. If it's another time in another circumstances, I would've complain having to hide there, but now I can barely think. Saving my soul is much more crucial at the moment.

I cover Sora's nose. “You're breathing too loud.”

Sora slaps my hand away and whispers, ‘What do you think? I’m freaking out!

That's when we hear the loud creeeeeaaakk of the door. Instinctively, we hold out breaths.

“Where are you, Mr. and Mrs. Do?” one of the men mocks. He doesn't sound like Lee Sugeun. “I’m going to live as a Hunter. How wonderful.”

I can't help but scowl. That ugly thing is so not getting this body.

“I assume you two must be hungry. Come, come, babies,” another men says in a singsong voice.

The sound of footsteps neared the cupboard. I think super fast and get a plan. Well, sort of. I set Sora aside so she's standing behind me. When the door opens, I'm ready. With enormous amount of force (and perhaps, the last of my energy), I kick whatever it is on the other side, arms punching blindly in the process, and make a run for our lives. Thank goodness our legs miraculously work like Usain Bolt's in this kind of situation. We race downstairs, buying a few seconds away from the creatures.

We get to the living room. I grab Sora's hand and pull her into the room beside the kitchen. It must be Lee Sugeun's room. It's nothing extraordinary. It looks fairly the same with the one I slept in.

“What are we doing?” Sora hisses.

“Keys. Must’ve been here.” I search every desk, even under the bed and pillows. Then as my hand sweeps over the bed, I find a key. “This,” I say.

“Why don’t you use your daggers and just finish them?”

“Ah, that.” I grin sheepishly. “I left them all in the car. Don’t want to get my babies into a strange house.”

“And you got us in?”

I just give her another grin before heading out. The Damneds are already downstairs with them, standing on the other end of the small room.

“Going somewhere, Hunter?” asked Lee Sugeun. Beside him stands two disarranged men who look more awful than most Damneds. Their skin is badly burnt and scaled. Seems like they’ve spent a hell of a time in the Nether.

I sneer. “Oh, don’t call me Hunter, please. It’s one of my relative’ names. He has this stink breath and bad odor. Much like your friends.”

The Damneds growl. They are going to come at me if not for Lee Sugeun's gesture to do otherwise. “Hunter with a sense of humor. I like it,” says the old man.

“I guess you’ve succeeded in taking the real Lee Sugeun's body? Let me guess. You’ve been in his shoes, literally, since Christmas and have no idea how to change clothes? Blimey, you’re an idiot.”

Lee Sugeun gives me an ugly snarl. “Soon, that smart mouth of yours will be theirs.”

“Ah, that got me wondering as well,” I say. “Why are you working as a team? Damneds don’t work that way. And I know it by heart since I’m in this field, basically, since I was born.” With a careful step, I inched closer and closer to the door, trying to hold their attention with our conversation. And try my best to prevent my partner from saying anything as witty every time I sense her will to talk.

“You, of all people, should know why, Hunter,” one of the scaled-skin men snarls.

“No, really, I’ve no idea. Please enlighten me.

As I'm just inches away from the door, the Damneds walk forward. “No time for storytelling. You’re not going anywhere,” warns Lee Sugeun.

“Really? Well,” I show them the key. “You know, maybe some other time.” I unlock the door and open it.

“We can’t just leave them alive,” Sora hisses as I push her out of the house.

“Technically, they’re dead. And yes, we can leave them.” My eyes shift warily between Sora and the uglies. The Damneds are heading toward us, almost running. I immediately close the door and lock it from the outside. At last, I throw the keys away.

“They’re going to lure more people in!” Sora protests.

I ignore her and get to my car. I start the engine and wait for her to hop in. “Come on, the door won’t hold them long. They’re strong, remember?” I can already hear them trying to break the door open.

“I can’t believe you just let them be … there,” again she protests, but gets in the car anyway. “What if they attack other people? You see how Lee Sugeun … well, a Damned has taken his life!”

I start to drive, making a mental note that I need to refuel soon. “Well, actually, it has taken his body and eat its soul.”

“Doesn’t matter!”

“Look,” I say, “It really is not our business. We only help those who asked and willing to pay. Nevermind that, who on earth will stop by and stay in that house anyway?”

Sora scoffs, as if what I said is ridiculous in her ears. “So it’s all money, huh?”

“It’s a tough life.”

“You know, for some time, I see you as a hero. You save people. But today? Not so much. You’re a loser. You’re the same as everyone. All you care about is money.”

I, however, am not a bit interested in having life lessons anyone, let alone her. “Then don’t see me as a hero. I am certainly not that. I work among the devils, Oh Sora. You know the phrase 'if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you', right?"

She doesn't say anything to that and just crosses her arms, facing the window and not even for a second glace at me.

I spend the remaining time trying to find my way home—almost get stranded (again) twice. Sora sleeps. Sometimes her head hits the window. Other than that, silence.

 


Author's Note:

What do you think about this chapter? Leave your comments below!

Next chapter, we'll have the Death! Have you any idea who he'll be? I guess it's pretty easy to guess now.

Also, if you're wondering how Sora's hair looks like, it's like Red Velvet Irene's hair when she dyed it purple:

Anyway I really miss Jongin T.T I hope he comes back in instagram soon.
Literally everyone support his relationship, or at least, I don't see anyone bashing him or Jennie. It's very different from the old days.

ALSO ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYUNGSOO! You'll meet him soon in this story.

And the day after tomorrow ... JONGIN'S BIRTHDAY!
I HOPE HE HOLDS THE BEARDAY PARTY T.T

 

Ah, and there's this super addicting EXO interactive story, a mafia au on twitter that will get you HOOKED.
I sleep super late at nights just for that game. The story is about EXO gathering in Granada for a party, then in the morning, Chanyeol is found dead. All remaining members are suspects. So, who did it? The story is so fun and frustrating. We get to interview them, look at evidences, and just about anything!

If you guys are interested click on this link: EXORIOR
You REALLY won't regret it!