Chapter Seven

Together Forever

"Some day. Even if we have to say goodbye again. We will be closer. Now Here Us."
~ Three Words

 

Jiwon's POV

A day before the D-day.

The group chat has been active as ever. I can hear my phone buzzing every minute as new messages came in. I haven't checked my phone yet, but I bet the fuss is about Jaeduck. 

A message after another message. My phone buzzing unstoppable. I wanted to get back to sleep but I can't. I groan as I reached out for my phone. It's only 8:13 am and what's with the 347 messages?! Don't they have jobs to do at this moment? I hope there's no bad news, hoping there's a miracle that Jaeduck says he'll come. Taking a deep breath, I clicked open. Most conversations are from Sunghoon and Jiyong. Few replies are from Jaijin, and Suwon who only replies with stickers. As expected they were talking about their hyung whom goddamned knows what's going on with his brain.

Jaijin: Jiwon hyung do something.

Aish! I've been nagging about Jaeduck on the group chat for almost every day. Did I get a response from him? None. 

I typed in 'Why bother when he doesn't want to come?! Let's just appreciate what we have now.' But I changed my mind. I didn't replied at all. 

Time to setup my computer and play a game. But my mind only lingers elsewhere. I can't go back to sleep now even if I wanted to. Everyone should be serene now, but no. Everyone's frustrated, hoping for a divine intervention that would make Jaeduck change his mind and think about us. Even if we have already bombarded him with messages or missed calls, we got nothing. Not even a direct "I can't come" or "I don't want to come" or even a "sorry".

As far as my brain can remember, we were never into a serious fight with each other. Well, maybe except for Jaijin. He's the only one who really dares to fight anyone. Both of them are alright though. Sunghoon and Jiyong won't be the reason either, they don't like causing trouble. Suwon? he's someone who can pissed you off. But I don't think he's the reason as well. 

Sending more messages seemed useless now, I bet he's not even opening his phone. But I can't give up, not yet. I won't let this spoil my dongsaengs happiness. 

I dialed Tony's number and he answered right away. I have asked him before if I could talk to Jaeduck, obviously I didn't get the chance to talk to that duck. But for now, I just told him to relay my message.

"We don't know what happened. If he can't change his mind, I'll respect and understand that. But please do tell him that his dongsaengs really want him to be there. We're not getting younger anymore. No one knows when will be the next time the six of us we'll be together again. What we really have is now."

"Don't worry. I'd definitely tell him this."

"Thank you." with that, I ended the call.

I hope it did made sense somehow. I really meant everything that I said. 

♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥

1998

The seniors were all tensed before the announcement of the official list of the students that will be graduating. 

Jaeduck keeps on fidgeting on his seat while Jaijin asked him to stop what he's doing. 

"What if I'm not going to graduate? What would my parents think of me? I don't think they'll me to come to Busan anymore."

"Eh? Stop mumbling nonsense Jaeduck-ah."

Listening to his friends, Jiwon seemed not bothered at all. After failing exams and getting himself in serious trouble for a couple of times, he's not expecting anything at all. Might as well consider not going back to school once the official list is revealed. 

The bell rings, it's time for lunch. 

"Ppali! I'm starving." he was rushing his friends. 

Arriving at the cafeteria, their three dongsaengs are already waiting. Reserving them seats. 

"You look miserable Jaeduck hyung, is there something wrong? asked Jiyong.

"Well, he thinks he's not going to graduate." Jaijin answered on behalf of him. 

"The official list isn't even out yet. What makes you think about that Jaeduck hyung?"  Suwon joined the conversation.

"I failed an exam." Jaeduck responded faintly. 

"I'm not even saying anything when I failed two exams." Jaijin replied as matter-of-factly.

"You're all making me nauseous. I'm not even complaining that I failed almost all of the exams. Plus, getting a detention. You're just hungry Jaeduck-ah. Stop being dramatic."

Sunghoon laughs at Jiwon's remark. "Hyung's right, you're just hungry Jaeduck hyung."

Everyone agreed, they're all starving. 

Jaeduck seemed to calm down after taking few bites. They all had brief conversation before heading back to their classes. 

Sunghoon noticed how Jiwon was silent all of a sudden. "I know you're worried about it hyung. You just don't want to show it. As long as the list is still not out, you can't give up yet. I believe you're going to make it hyung. You may not believe in yourself but I do. " he gave him a warm smile. 

"Thank you Hoony-ah." he may have not said much, but somehow it made him feel better knowing that someone believes in him. 

After the class dismissal that day. The students rushed out of their classrooms and went directly to the bulletin board where the list was posted.  Some were already rejoicing upon seeing their name in the list. Jaeduck tried to squeeze himself in, Jaijin following after him. Jiwon just stayed at the back as more students came to check for their names. When all of a sudden, he just heard Jaeduck screaming for his name. "Jiwon hyung!" he emerged from the crowd. 

"What?"

"I saw your name!" the younger one shouted again. 

"You're kidding Jaeduck-ah."

"I'm not! Come here." he dragged Jiwon to see for himself. 

There it is, his name. Eun Jiwon is in the list. 

"They've got to be kidding." 

The three of them made it. Jiwon himself can't believe he actually made it. They were overjoyed that they started jumping around in circles. 

He's excited to tell his dongsaengs about the good news.