Chapter Five

Together Forever

"When the school bell rings, our battle starts again. Everyone's friend is everyone's enemy. Everyone trying to step on each other."
~ Rise up

 

Jaijin's POV

Counting the days. Five days to be exact before seeing them. 

I'm not fond of going out and mingling with people, but this is an exception. There's no way I would say "no" to this. They are the exception.

It feels quite surreal, we haven't seen each other for a while. But one thing is bothering me lately. Why the hell is Jaeduck still making up excuses? It seems that he doesn't want to see all of us. What has gotten into him? No one knows the reason why he's still acting like that. It's been 4 years since we all get together and he's ignoring us or who knows who. Giving the same excuses on how he's busy, how he's away, how .. whatever. We're all busy. If we're important to him, he'll find a way. 

No one knows my phone number as I don't have any intention on giving them. But again, here I am dialing Jaeduck's number. I don't even try to plead with anyone, but I will try my luck with him. Aish! This will make me look like a softie and I hate it so much. This is frustrating! But for the sake of this friendship, me, Lee Jaijin will do the unthinkable pleading. If this fails, I don't know what to do anymore. But consider myself be buried alive because of the humiliation.

Alright, I'm sounding too dramatic. 

It's been years and Jaeduck still manages to get on my nerves. Nothing has changed. 

♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥

1994

"Jaeduck-ah! Can you please hush for a while?"

"Waeyo?" Jaeduck pouted. 

"You know what? You're getting on my nerves!" Jaijin gritted his teeth upon looking at Jaeduck.

"What did I do?"Jaeduck gave him a puzzled look.

"You're talking too much and is exposing your satoori." Jaijin barely whispered at him, noticing how they were given few looks as they passed by. 

"What's wrong with it? I don't care if they know we're from Busan." Jaeduck confidently said, leaving Jaijin in awe. How is it possible for this tiny person to have such confidence. 

They're both from Busan and have decided to venture and try their luck in Seoul, in which they'll be spending their high school years. Jaijin is already good at hiding his satoori accent, while Jaeduck on the other hand just don't care at all. How is that a big deal anyway?

They made it inside their homeroom. The class finally started, they introduced themselves to the whole class. Jaeduck was enthusiastic and talks too much as usual. But it made Jaijin uncomfortable, their classmates just kept on staring at them. Is that because of the accent? Do people dislike them because they're from other province? He can't tell. He's just so tensed the whole time. 

One of their classmates have noticed it, "are you alright?" she asked him. He quickly responded that he's fine. 

"If you haven't mentioned that you're from Busan, I'd probably think that you're from here already. Is this your first time in Seoul?" she had a follow up question for him.

"Yes, actually for the both of us." he said, pointing at Jaeduck. 

He turned his attention back to the teacher who was discussing about the grade components. A spark glint in his eyes, this is a competition. He remembered what his mother had told him before he left, Seoul kids are competitive. There's no way he'll be left out with this. He's going to show them what Busan kids can do. 

All of a sudden, the door flung open. A boy with a ruffled hair enters the room. "Look who it is. It's great to see you again, Jiwon. I'm glad you decided to join the class." the teacher said, his tone filled with sarcasm. The boy, without a care just went directly at the back. He sat beside Jaeduck who was stunned by his presence. 

"What are you looking at?" the grumpy boy muttered. His gaze not leaving Jaeduck. 

"Nothing." Jaeduck repeatedly said as he continues to shook his head. Not wanting to start any trouble.

When Jaijin have thought about him being competitive, he did really meant about studies. Well, that's what he thought at first, but upon seeing Jiwon he changed his mind. He hates him already. Jaeduck might be annoying at times, but he's still a friend (though he insists that they're just acquaintances), and he doesn't want him to be treated like that. Not now when they're away from a home and is surrounded by people they don't know. Jaijin won't let this happen. A punch in the face won't hurt that much isn't it? He won't end up in a hospital isn't he? He's already thinking of punching Jiwon. A short-tempered person meets another short-tempered person, what a great match. He's already picturing it out, a brawl in the hallway. Students cheering up for him as beats up Jiwon. Then teachers trying to break them apart, him being sent to the principal's office and Jiwon being sent to the clinic. What a triumphant fight for him. 

Except none of that happened. 

To make it more surprising, the supposed enemies end up us friends. Though Jaijin clarified that they are only acquaintances just like Jaeduck. But one thing is certain, he looks up to him as an older brother. They might bicker at times but he respects him.