Chapter Two

Together Forever
"Beyond the river in the dream, can you see my heart?" ~ While you were sleeping

 

Jaeduck’s POV

I’ve been away from my phone for two days and as soon I checked our group chat, wave of new messages came flooding. Jiwon hyung bombarded me with messages saying how he’s going to beat me up if I don’t show up. I even received missed calls from Sunghoon and Jiyong. I decided to call Sunghoon.

“Jaeduck hyung! I was worried you didn’t answer my call.” he said on the other line.

“Sunghoon-ah! I’m sorry for answering just now, I was really busy this past few days ” I lied.

“Are you free by the end of the month hyung? I was hoping we all could reunite again.” I can sense anticipation on his tone.

“I’m not sure Sunghoon-ah. I’m in a business trip with Tony hyung, I don’t know if I can make it back home by then.”

“Oh, I understand hyung. But I hope you can make it.” 

“I’ll try if I could, but I can’t guarantee you that Sunghoon-ah.”

“Just give me a heads up hyung. Everyone wants to see you.”

We bid good byes before hanging up. I can tell that he’s sad, he’s usually enthusiastic even on phone calls.

“Oh Tony hyung! I didn’t know you were there.” I was startled by his sudden presence.

“I was just passing by and I didn’t mean to eavesdrop but why are you refusing to see them again? You also did that 2 years ago. Is there something wrong?”

“Nothing hyung. I've been busy, that's all.”

“Sunghoon-ah wants to see all of you. The last time you all saw each other was in Jiyong’s wedding and that was 4 years ago.”

“I know hyung.”

“Whatever your reason may be, I hope you make up your mind. Don’t call this a business trip, we’re here to unwind. We’re even going home on Friday.  You should probably work on your lame excuses, I didn’t think it would work this time.”

“Got it hyung! Sorry.”

The truth is I miss all of them. But there’s someone I’ve been avoiding, because something happened few years ago. I don’t think I’ll be able to show him my face again. 

 

♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡

 

21 years ago

“I still got an errand to do, you can both just go ahead because I might take time.” Jaeduck told Jiwon and Jaijin as they were approaching the exit gate. 

“Works for me, I’m so sleepy that I need to get home now.” Jiwon yawned. 

“Okay.” Jaijin answered.

The two continued walking without looking back. Jaeduck waited till both of them were out of sight and he immediately went back inside the school. He went to class 3B’s room and spotted someone cleaning the board. He knocked lightly to get his attention. 

“Jaeduck hyung. What brings you here?” asked Jiyong.

“Have you seen Sunghoon?”

“He went to the library to return some books.”

“Thanks Jiyong-ah. Btw you got some chalk dust on your face.”

“Oh, thanks hyung!” 

Jaeduck immediately head to the library as told by Jiyong on Sunghoon’s whereabouts. He immediately spotted Sunghoon talking to the librarian. He decided to just wait outside. 

“Jaeduck hyung! I thought you already went home.” Sunghoon was quite startled by Jaeduck’s presence. 

“But you told me you're going to give it to me that's why waited.”

“Ah! Look at what love can do. Hyung is in love!” Sunghoon teased his hyung who's turning red.

“Stop it Sunghoon-ah!”

“Arasso. Here’s her number hyung, don’t tell her I gave it to you.”

“Don’t worry. Thank you for this Sunghoon-ah!” he said as he tapped Sunghoon’s shoulder. “You can ask me anything, I owe you one. Just tell me, okay?” he added.

“It’s fine hyung. It’s not that much anyway.”

“Aniyo, I insist. Just tell me if you need anything. Hyung will be happy to help.”

“I’ll think of one. Thanks hyung!” Sunghoon smiled.

“I should keep going now. Thanks again Sunghoon-ah!” 

“Take care hyung!”

Jaeduck immediately kept the note inside his pocket, humming happily as he head to the bus stop.

 

- -


By the time Sunghoon returned to the room after returning some books in the library, he spotted Jiyong and Suwon in a deep conversation. “What did I miss?” he asked, but Suwon glared at him as response.

“Waeyo? What did I do?” Sunghoon asked confusedly. “Jiyong-ah what did I do?” 

Jiyong laughs at seeing their expression. “Jaeduck hyung went here earlier looking for you. I told Suwon what happened.” 

Sunghoon understands the situation now. “Yah! Suwon-ah you should thank me!” he said. 

“Waeyo?!” Suwon answered angrily.

“I won’t take Jaeduck hyung away from you so don’t you worry. He’s your Duckie. He was asking for Sohee’s number and I gave him your number instead.”

“You .. what?!” Suwon’s eyes widened.

“You heard me Suwon-ah!”

“Sunghoon-ah! Kamsahamnidaaaaa”

Sunghoon was about say something when Suwon runs to him, giving him a tight hug. “Suwon-ah! I can’t breathe! Yah!”

“Aigoo you two! Suwon-ah are you crying?” asked Jiyong as he noticed the tears forming on Suwon’s eyes.

“Me? Aniyo!” Suwon immediately breaks away from the hug. “What do I do without you Sunghoon-ah?” asked Suwon, blinking his tears away.

“Yah! What about me?” Jiyong faking a frown.

“What do I do without you two?” Suwon tried to hug Jiyong but he dodged it.

“It’s getting late now. We should go.”

 

- -


Jaeduck was ecstatic to share the good news with his two friends. He immediately sent text messages to Jiwon and Jaijin as soon as he gets home. He was grinning as he stares at the note, he finally got Sohee’s number. The girl whom he admire for months now. He can still clearly remember that day when he saw her in a recital, how she dances gracefully and .. his daydreaming was cut short as his cellular phone buzzed. Jaijin replied to his message.

‘So you finally got her number. I’m so proud of you Duck-ah! How did it go? Was it awkward or something?’

‘Uh, the truth is I got her number from Sunghoon-ah. They’re in the same class after all.’

‘Eh? I thought you asked her yourself. Have you messaged her already?’

‘Not yet, I’m still thinking on what to say.’

‘I see. Good luck!’

‘Thank you Jaijin-ah!’

Eottoke? he thought to himself, he doesn’t know what to do yet. He decided to bombard Jiwon asking for help. Suddenly someone was calling on the phone.

“Hyung?” he said.

“Aish! What’s wrong with you? My phone keeps on buzzing every minute, I can’t play well!” Jiwon yelled on the other line.

“I’m sorry hyung. I just need help and I think you can help me.”

“Errand my ! You lied about having an errand then now you’re asking for my help?”

“But you said that you’re going to sleep but you’re playing instead.”

“Yah! That’s different. What do you need anyway? It’s not even that hard. You can start with a hello, seriously what’s wrong with you?” Jiwon was already getting annoyed. He doesn’t get how Jaeduck think its hard, he’s just making things complicated. “Ask her about dancing since you both have that in common. Please don’t mess up, okay? I’m going to hang up, gotta play now.” Jiwon hangs up before Jaeduck can even say something. He decided to save her number.

“Oh? What is this ..”

 

- -


“Suwon-ah what are you doing?” asked by Suwon’s older brother as he noticed his dongsaeng fidgeting on his seat.

“Nothing hyung. I’m done eating now. I have to do my homework.” he hurriedly went back to his room and checked his phone. He frowns as he found nothing. He dialed Sunghoon’s number.

“Oh Suwon-ah?”

“Did you really gave him my number?”

“For the hundredth time yes! Why are you even doubting me?”

“There’s still no message yet.”

“He’s probably working on his courage to say something to Sohee, I mean you.”

“But don’t you think its cruel? It’s Sohee that he likes and not me. What if he finds out? It’ll break his heart.”

“You can pretend to be her for a while I guess. I know its really cruel to play with other people’s feeling but I also want you to be happy Suwon-ah. I’ll take the blame for everything if he finds out so don’t’ worry.”

“Sunghoon-ah ..”

“Don’t tell me you’re crying again. “

“I’m not, its just .. what did I do to deserve a friend like you? You’re amazing!”

“No need to tell me that, I already know I am.”

“I owe you anything.”

“No need for that. I didn’t do much anyway. See you at school. Bye.”

“Bye.”

Suwon patiently waits for a message but nothing came. He fell asleep holding his phone to his chest. Smiling as he saw him in his dream.

 

♡♥