Chapter 2

Kindred Souls

After the brief encounter with her new neighbor, Jieun took a warm bath to relax her muscles before going to sleep. She's barely home since she's so busy preparing for her comeback, always in the company studio, perfecting her craft. She was surprised when she saw people moving furniture pieces inside the unit across from hers a week ago, as she's always been alone in that floor ever since she moved in 2 years ago. 

 

Her best friend, Yoo Inna also lives in the same building but, like her, she has been really busy with work that they barely get to see each other. And even though they could be roommates, both of them treasure their alone time that they decided to be neighbors instead. 

 

While laying down in bed, waiting to fall asleep, Jieun thought of texting Inna about her newfound neighbor.

"Hmmm... should I tell this to unnie right away? She might be in the middle of filming now." she mumbled to herself while holding her phone, thumbs inching to type away. She plopped her phone face down to her pillow, tapped her chin with her index finger and decided that she can break the news to Inna later when she's gotten to know the new guy.

 

"Does he not recognize me at all? Even though I'm wearing my oversized clothes, I didn't have anything to cover my face. We've also been in the same enclosed space for quite a long period of time."  her brows furrowed, still wondering about her newfound neighbor. 
 

With her eyes drooping with fatigue, she fell asleep immediately. She dreamt about the guy living across from her and his almond eyes and delicate facial features. For the first time in a long time, she had a good night's sleep, eager to see what's in store for her now that a new person came into her life. 

-------------

Jieun woke up at noon, fully rested. She had no schedule for this day and she planned to lay around her house watching movies or reading books. She was always busy and working so much that she treasures days like this when she can just do nothing. 

 

Still in her pajamas, she turned the television on to catch up with the news while munching on her cereals. 

"K Group's heir reportedly back in Korea to take over the company after what is said to be years of rigorous training abroad." the anchorman stated while a blurred face of a young man is shown on the screen.

 

Jieun and basically all South Koreans are familiar with the company, it's been what everyone's using for generations for their household appliances and other technological devices. Even though as singer-songwriter IU, she hasn't been offered to be the company's model for their products, but if given the chance, she would gladly accept the job. Being the model for K Group means that your status is cemented in the industry and that the general public loves you. 

 

After watching the news and eating her breakfast, she laid down in her sofa ready to watch some of the movies that her friends recommended. The movie was just about to start when the door bell rang. She quickly got up to see who it is since she wasn't expecting anyone to come today.  She looked at the screen of her digital door viewer, it was the guy living across. He was wearing a white shirt partnered with chino shorts and slippers.

"Uh, yes? can you please give me a minute?" she spoke through the intercom of the digital door viewer, trying to hide the panic in her voice. She was still in her pajamas, bare faced, and haven't even showered yet.

If it were her friends, she wouldn't make a fuss but she didn't want to give him the impression that she's messy and unorganized. Add to that the fact that she hasn't confirmed yet if he actually knows that she's IU or not. 

 

"Jieun-ssi? I'm sorry for interrupting you so early, I just wanted to talk to you about something. Please take your time, I'll be waiting here." Junmyeon replied back while flashing his smile to the camera in front of him. 

 

Jieun rushed to her closet and wore whatever is more acceptable than her pajamas. She quickly brushed her hair and put a little bit of moisturizer on her face. She donned a simple fitted black shirt and denim shorts. 
 


"Hi, I'm sorry for making you wait" she said as soon as she opened the door, smiling at him with all her might. "What's the matter, Junmyeon-ssi?" 

 

"Uhhh... I was wondering if" he nervously rubbed his neck with his right hand while his left hand stays in the pocket of his chino shorts. "If you could come join me for lunch? Think of it as my housewarming party." he nervously asked her. 
 


"I really don't know anyone around here yet and you're my neighbor, so... I thought it would be nice to get to know each other first?" he quickly added while he nervously paced in front of her, his arms crossed and his head hung low.
 


Jieun let out a small giggle, finding him being so shy a little bit cute. She realized then that he probably doesn't really know her as IU, but only as his new neighbor. 
 


"Junmyeon-ssi" she tapped his shoulder as he looked up to her. "I would love to have lunch with you." giving him her gummy smile. 
 

 


It was a breath of fresh air for Jieun, to be able to meet someone that is not constricted to knowing her as IU, the nation's treasured singer-songwriter, but would actually get to really meet her as Lee Jieun. 
 


------