Chapter 1

Kindred Souls


Los Angeles, California

---------------------------------

April 2017


Junmyeon woke up to the sound of his alarm, he already had his baggage packed the night before to make sure that he won't leave anything behind especially that his flight is early in the morning. It's been more than a decade since he went to visit South Korea, he has been so busy training and studying that he decided not to go back home until he's ready to take over the company. At such a young age he knew the responsibility that he will have to carry being the successor of the biggest electronics company in Korea. Generations of their family worked hard to make the company what it is now and Junmyeon doesn't want to disappoint his family and all the people whose livelihoods depended on the K Group. 

Shortly after getting ready, Junmyeon's phone rang. It was a call from Secretary Park. 

"Young Master, the driver is already at the driveway waiting for you. I'm already here at the airport and I will accompany you back to South Korea."

"All right, I'm ready. I will meet you in the airport. Thank you Secretary Park." 

Secretary Park accompanied Jumyeon on his 13 hour flight and discussed with him about his work as the new Vice President of the company. They also talked about the details of Junmyeon's new home in South Korea. 

"Like I said before, an adequate sized apartment is enough for me. Preferably one with a great view like the Han River, you know how much I loved seeing it when I was still a child, right?"

"Your apartment is ready, Young Master. The view is breathtaking and has a high security for your safety. We didn't get the penthouse unit as per your instructions so you will be having one neighbor across your unit."

Junmyeon was supposed to live in their family's villa but he didn't want to feel served all the time. As much as possible, he wanted to have some normalcy in his life and living in the apartment that Secretary Park arranged for him will give him that. Growing up in Los Angeles, he was independent and wanted to do things on his own if he could. He was always well-mannered and despite his social status in life, he always treated everyone with respect. He was nervous and excited at the same time to be back after such a long time. 

-----------------------------------------


After 13 hours, Junmyeon finally arrived in South Korea along with Secretary Park. Advertisements with celebrities endorsing different products are plastered everywhere in the airport, none of them Junmyeon recognizes. He's been away for too long and he didn't have much time to catch up with the music scene and celebrities in South Korea except for the important parts like politics and the economy. While waiting for their baggage, Junmyeon decided to ask Secretary Park about it to pass some time.

"I don't know much about the celebrities but I learned that they brought so much revenue in our country. It's what they called Hallyu Wave, right? Korean artists even have concerts overseas now. There really have been big changes since I've been gone. So, Secretary Park, who's your favorite among all of them?" Junmyeon asked as he pointed to the several advertisements found in the airport. 

Secretary Park grinned ,his eyes beamed with pride as he said which young artist is his favorite. 

"Young Master, I do not really listen to boygroups or girlgroups as I still love the classics but there's one female artist whose voice really comforts me. I think her music transcends generations. For me, she is a national treasure."

Junmyeon was just about to ask Secretary Park about the artist's name but their conversation was cut short when he saw their baggage in the conveyor belt. He immediately took it and they went straight to his new apartment. Secretary Park wanted to accompany Junmyeon to the unit but Junmyeon insisted that he can do it on his own and that Secretary Park should get some rest too. 

*ding*

The elevator door opens, Junmyeon got in and waited for a shortwhile before pressing the close button in case there are other residents going up. Since it's already late in the evening, he figured that most of the residents must be sleeping already and pressed the close button. The elevator door almost closes when a tiny hand blocked the doors. Junmyeon who is still jetlagged and so sleepy from the long fight got shocked. He looked at the figure in front of him and it seems that the tiny hand belongs to a fair skinned petite woman who's dressed up in oversized clothes. 

The petite woman got in the elevator immediately and is still panting and catching her breath.

"Sorry about that, I'm just soooo exhausted and I might fall asleep in the lobby if I wait any longer for the other elevators." 

She finally catched her breath and flashed a smile to Junmyeon. Even in her baggy clothes, there's no denying that the petite woman is gorgeous and exudes a feminine aura. Her doe eyes, tiny yet sharp nose, and sweet lips make her look like a real life doll. Not to mention that her skin is flawless. Junmyeon flashed a smile and told her that it's okay. With the exhaustion catching up to him, he closed his eyes to get some shut eye while the elevator goes up. The petite woman was about to press the floor button but stopped when she saw that Junmyeon had already pressed it. She saw that Junmyeon must be tired as well and decided not to start a conversation anymore. There was silence between the two of them in the elevator ride, both just wanting to crawl up to their beds and sleep. 

*ding*

Junmyeon opened his eyes once the elevator door opens.  The petite woman is still with him in the elevator, he thought that she lives in the upper floors since she still hasn't gotten off. But to his surprise, she got off at the same floor as him and went straight to her apartment's door. He then walked to his apartment door across from her and only realized now that she must be the neighbor that Secretary Park told him about. He turned around and faced her. She was already smiling back at him.

"I was going to tell you that I am your neighbor when I saw that you already pressed the same floor where I live but, I saw that you were exhausted and have your eyes closed so I didn't want to interrupt. I've been living alone in this floor for years now and then I saw the moving company last week putting furniture pieces inside. I have always wondered who would finally be my neighbor and I'm sorry that we met like that earlier."

She reached out her right hand for a handshake. 

"Please let me formally introduce myself to make up for earlier."

Junmyeon shaked her hand firmly while they both exchanged warm smiles to each other. 

"I'm Lee Jieun, it's nice to finally meet you."