Chapter 4

Kindred Souls

The Kim villa is located around the rich neighborhood of Gangnam, not far away from the apartment complex Junmyeon is currently residing at. His family visited him few months ago at Los Angeles before he came back to Korea. Junmyeon has a very good relationship between his family members, especially with his parents. He's a very doting older brother to his younger brother, always helping him out with homeworks and other extracurricular activities whenever he has the time. 

Upon arriving at the villa, it was his father that welcomed him first. His mother and younger brother are both busy preparing their dinner in the kitchen. 

"Son! Glad to have you here again." Mr. Kim outstretched his arms to envelop Junmyeon into a warm embrace. 

Both of them sat face to face at the living area of their villa. 

"I wanted to talk to you first regarding our company, that's why I let your mom and your younger brother do the cooking." Mr. Kim crossed his arms, his eyes focused on his son's. 

"What is it about, dad?" Junmyeon's eyebrow burrowed with curiosity. 

"The thing is, I'll be out of the country this Monday and I need you to personally oversee and meet our newest endorser. She's a very important person which is why I'm assigning you to this task because I know you'll handle it well." 

"Oh it's a she. What's her name? It's fine by me, I'm on it." 

"Hmmm, you'll see her on Monday anyway so it's a surprise. She'll be the model for our audio devices, headphones, speakers, and such. She's a great singer, I think you'll be delighted to meet her." 

"It sounds to me that you're a fan of that particular singer, Dad. Don't worry and I promise not to smear our family's image so you can meet her and have your albums signed." Junmyeon playfully poked his father's shoulder. 

"Ha, you better be, son. I don't want you ruining my chances of going to her concerts and fanmeetings." Mr. Kim playfully went along Junmyeon's antics. 

The banter of the father and son were cut short when Mrs. Kim called the both of them to dinner. Their whole family ate and talked in harmony, catching up with each other's lives. Mrs. Kim was particulary sad about Jumyeon deciding to live separately from them. 

"Son, why don't you just live here with us? You know we've missed you so much. You might be here in Korea but you're still far away." Mrs. Kim put another serving of food into Junmyeon's bowl. 

"Mom, you know how it is with me. I like being independent, doing things on my own. I'm used to that. Besides, you don't have to worry about me so much. The apartment complex is really nice, it's very secured. As a matter of fact, I get along with my neighbor despite only meeting her last night." he munched on his food slowly, savoring his mother's home cooking which he missed so much. 

"OHHHH SO YOUR NEIGHBOR IS A GIRL." Mrs. Kim nudged Junmyeon's shoulder playfully. "Well? Is she pretty? What does she do for a living? Is she single?" she kept on bombarding him with questions.

"Hyung! Hyung! Do you like her?" Junmyeon's younger brother chimed in.

"Ya, this conversation is for adults only." Junmyeon retaliated at his brother. 

"Mom, stop it. Why are you asking all these questions like she's my girlfriend? We're just friends." Junmyeon stressed to his mom. 

"Okay, okay" her mom raised her hands in defeat. "Is she pretty though? At least tell me what she does for a living so I would be relieved that my son is surrounded with good people." Mrs. Kim insisted.

"Okay, first of all, she is pretty and really nice. She works at the music industry. Are we done now, mom?" he waited patiently at his mom's approval. 

"Alright, I won't push you anymore. I just want you to relax, have some fun, date! You deserve to be happy son. What happened before in the past is long gone now. I hope you've moved on." his mom lamented. 

"I know mom, I know. Let's eat first and not talk about this, okay?" Junmyeon sighed and proceeded to eat his remaining food. 

The four of them ate in silence, the past is still a sensitive topic for Junmyeon, and his family still worries about him. Afterwards, Junmyeon helped his younger brother with his homework at his room. Mrs. Kim and Mr. Kim stayed at the kitchen to talk about what happened in the dinner.

"You shouldn't have pushed Jumyeon like that, you know how hurt he was with what happened with Irene." Mr. Kim muttered, his face full of worry. 

"I know, I'm sorry. It's just that it's been 2 years and all he does is bury himself with so much work. I just think it's time that he meet someone new, someone nice that will take care of him. Our son deserves to be happy. He's already burdened with so much responsibilty on his shoulders." 

"Don't worry about it hon, I made some plans for him. I just hope that they'll click together and that the person I have in mind would actually come to like our son." Mr. Kim put his arm around Mrs. Kim and assured her that everything would be fine. "Sehun will be here soon, our son for sure won't be working all day and will hang out with him." 

Junmyeon came back to his own apartment that night, right after he finished helping his younger brother with his homework. The night is still young but he wanted to escape his parents' never-ending questions about his life, his love life in particular. He washed up and quickly changed to his casual clothes.

He couldn't think clearly ever since he got Sehun's message about Irene coming back to Korea. He hasn't seen her for 2 years now, and as much as he wants to deny it, he's still hurt with their break-up. He really did love her, they almost married each other but she had to choose her family's corporation over him. Back then, like Junmyeon, she had so much responsibility as the heir of their company that she wasn't ready for marriage yet. Their break-up was a mutual decision between the two of them, but his wounds over it hasn't completely healed yet. 

To stop himself from overthinking, he got up and went for a drive to see the Han River at night. While driving, he the radio and got goosebumps with the song the local radio station is playing. The singer's voice is so unique, so rich, and her control with it evokes emotion from the deepest pits of his heart. Somehow listening to her made all his worries go away for a moment. He was just deeply immersed with her vocals and the way she sang the song with so much emotions. It was such a healing moment for him, the late night drive, the view of the Han River, and the singer's voice echoing through his car. 

Junmyeon went back to his apartment in high spirits. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to get the song's name or its singer. The local radio station changed the song right away, it was those types of stations that has no ads or commentary in between. Even in such circumstances, he was able to remember the tune of the song and how it made him feel.

Upon arriving, he drank hot tea to calm himself even more and prepare for bed. He picked up his phone and thought of Jieun right away. He was so thankful to have met someone that gave him comfort in such an unfamilliar place, a place that he had forgotten for being away for so long. 

He started composing a text message right away and hit send. 

"Jieun-ssi, thank you again for today. I'm really thankful to have you as my neighbor. 

Tonight, I’ll send the glow of a firefly
to somewhere
Near your window
I hope it’s a good dream

I heard this song on the radio tonight, I'm sad I wasn't able to get it's title or the singer's name but I really hope you'll rest well.

Good night."

Junmyeon hummed to the tune of the song that comforted him that night and fell asleep quickly. That night, he was able to sleep soundly, dreaming of the petite girl across his apartment unit, with her doe eyes that turns into a crescent shape whenever she smiles, her tiny nose that he would like to bop, or her chipmunk like cheeks whenever she eats.