Chapter 3

Kindred Souls

Thinking about it, Jieun doesn't know what popped into her mind to accept Junmyeon's offer, she's usually very timid and shy around new people. Somehow, she just felt comfortable around him, maybe because she can just be herself without the pressure of people's expectation of her as "IU." 

There's nothing wrong with getting to know your new neighbor, right? This is just a casual lunch, that's all there is to it. He seems nice and I can't just refuse his offer, he doesn't know anyone around yet. I'm just trying to be a model neighbor to him.  Jieun justified to herself, while she follows him clumsily to his apartment. 

Junmyeon led the way inside. "I'll just prepare the table, feel free to look around if you want to." he said while he went to the direction of the kitchen, just across the living area.

Photographs are hanged in the walls of his living area along with other artworks. Jieun figured that he must be someone sentimental like her, someone who likes reminiscing memories through pictures and other mementos. She kept her cool when she saw that he also has that LP album of her sunbae, Jang Pil Soon in his shelf amongst the albums of G.O.D. which is her ultimate favorite group and stacks of books. What really took her by surprise though was his diploma.

"woaaah... you graduated from Stanford????" her eyes widened.

"I kind of almost grew up in Los Angeles, although I did stay here for 2 years back in 2009 to 2011 to enlist in the military." Junmyeon briefly looked up and explained while laying down the side dishes on the table. 

So that's probably why he doesn't know me. Jieun thought to herself. "That's, wow... I have no words to express how impressed I am right now." she said, her eyebrows quirked, covering with her right hand as she let out a small giggle. 

Junmyeon smirked at her cuteness. "Thank you, Jieun-ssi. Come on, let's eat." he gestured her to seat down in front of her. 

Korean dishes such as Bulgogi, Kimchi Jigae, and other side dishes are laid out in the table. Jumyeon also prepared homebrewed iced tea for their beverage and even had chocolate cake prepared for their dessert.

"This is a lot of food, Junmyeon-ssi." Jieun's eyes beamed with happiness at the view. She had been on a diet for her comeback this April, and even though she's not strictly following it as she did before, she barely had the time for a good meal and let alone sleep. After last night, she was finally done with all the shoots she needed for her upcoming album. All that's left now is for the director to edit the music videos, and for her company to produce the physical albums. She can finally rest for a little while before going on to music shows to promote. 

"Think of it as a little feast to celebrate my homecoming, I guess. I hope it's good enough for your taste though." Junmyeon answered, he was looking at her patiently as she takes a bite of his cooking. "Well, is it good?" his eyebrows quirked in anticipation, a smile forming in the corners of his mouth. 

Jieun chewed her food slowly with closed. It took a long time before she was able to respond to his question. "This ... this is really good! Wow, I wish I could cook like this. I really at cooking. Although, I take pride with my recipe for Bulgogi and my pumpkin soup." she said in a cheerful manner, with her cute hand gestures. 

"You're .... cute." Junmyeon unconsciously blurted out, being amused at Jieun's chipmunk like cheeks while eating. 

Jieun blushed at his compliment and shyly looked down before meeting his gaze again. He was smiling at her with so much eagerness that his eyes formed into a half crescent shape. She smiled back at him and both burst out giggling at each other's cuteness. 

"By the way Jieun-ssi, it's a good thing that you didn't have work today. It's Friday, so I thought you would be out. I was hesitating earlier if I would ring your doorbell." 

"It's the start of my vacation." she leaned on the chair. "A short vacation, that is." she sighed at the thought of working restlessly again so soon. "How about you? Will you start working on Monday then?"

He nodded. "I was given a day off today to rest and settle down before working. I plan to go to the Han River later, maybe even go for a run."

Both of them didn't linger at the topic of the nature of their work and instead talked about music. Jieun initiated it first, starting with her beloved sunbaes Jang Pil Soon and G.O.D. that Junmyeon seems to be a huge fan of, too. She discovered that like her, he liked to listen to the classics ever since he was little, and that he doesn't really keep up with the idols of the present time. Which explains why he doesn't know about her existence as IU. She didn't reveal it to him and he didn't ask any further questions about her work. She just said that she works in the music industry and that he in turn works as an executive for a big conglomerate. 

They had to end their lunch break early when Junmyeon got a call from Secretary Park, his family is expecting him to be at the villa in the afternoon. After getting along so well after their initial meeting, both exchanged numbers and KakaoTalk accounts. Jieun promised Junmyeon to take him around Seoul whenever they both have the free time and get to know more about their culture since he's been away for so long. In turn, Junmyeon promised her that he'll teach her how to properly cook, in case she might need it in the future. 

Junmyeon walked Jieun in front of her apartment. 

"Thank you for your time Jieun-ssi, I enjoyed our lunch break so much. I'm relieved to have a great neighbor like you." he said while fidgeting with his hands, trying to avoid eye contact with her. He blushed at the thought of looking at her eye to eye again. 

"I enjoyed it as well, thank you for inviting me and for the delicious meal Junmyeon-ssi. You're a jjang neighbor!" she enthusiastically did a thumbs up while looking straight at Junmyeon's eyes. 

Junmyeon, upon seeing her actions, did a thumbs up too and both laughed at each other's awkwardness. They both said their goodbyes with a firm handshake. 

-----

Once inside, she closed the door quickly and ran to her living room. She plomped down straight to her sofa and used the throw pillows to mask her uncontrollable squeals. She's blushing and can't stop smiling with the recent encounter she had with her neighbor. She immediately reached to her phone and began texting Yoo Inna. 

Inna unnie, I have something to tell you! Call me when you get this message.

"Good day, it is a good day." Jieun mumbled to herself, burying her face with her hands. 

-----

Junmyeon was busy getting ready, he had to look his best before going to see his family at their villa this afternoon. While fixing his hair, his phone buzzed. It was a text message from his best friend Sehun who was still in Los Angeles. 

"I thought you might want to know this, but I heard she's coming back to Korea as well."

Junmyeon let out a sigh upon reading it. He scrolled through his phone's gallery, and there it is. 

A photo of him and a woman in a warm embrace, out on a date in the park. 

It was his ex-fiancée, Irene. 

-----

P.S. since this is an AU, Irene would not be a part of Red Velvet and Sehun would not be a part of EXO too. Only IU would remain to be her real life counterpart in this story.