prologue ii. changes

Tell me all your secrets (and I'll tell you mine) [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was becoming more frequent that Chaeyeon would skip class – everything merging into one grey picture. Everyday seeming the same as before as she plugged in her earphones and put her music on shuffle – Stray Kids’ ‘Hellavator’ coming up causing Chaeyeon to almost burst out laughing at the irony. She laid her head between her arms and slept peacefully through the lecture.

 

At least that’s what she wanted to do but the several people shooting spit balls or throwing larger paper balls which all landed on her head caused her to stay awake, but her head never moved from her arms much to everyone else’s dismay. Even the teacher tried to mock Chaeyeon as she called her up to answer a question in front of the class, people trying to trip her up as she walked down the line to the chalk board. Almost everyone gave a smug grin as they expected Chaeyeon to get it incorrect – they were wrong again as the dancer tackled the ‘tough’ maths question that was on the board with ease. Her hand gripped the chalk lightly as she made it dance across the board as she solved the question – having studied everything in advance. Once getting it marked as correct, the girl headed for the door instead of her seat, going quick enough that not even the teacher could reprimand her.

 

Chaeyeon almost snorted at that fact.

 

Almost.

 

She walked through the halls until she ended up at a familiar place. Her hand rummaged around her pocket as she fished out a small silver key which she used to unlock the door. The vivid blue sky greeted her as she swung the door open. The gentle breeze swirled around her like a calming embrace causing her to release a sigh she didn’t know she was holding. She walked forward and took a moment to admire the view – no matter how many times she was up here, the sight was always beautiful. The buildings below more akin to toy models of the real thing as she watched people and cars move around like ants.

 

The click of the door behind her brought her back to her senses with what was going on – the chorus of BTS’ ‘I’m Fine’ coming around the corner. Chaeyeon hyped herself up and she began to dance to the beat – her body making a mix of sharp and fluttery movements that made her worthy of the title of “Feather Dancer” at her old school. Charisma practically leaked out from her as her facial expressions matched with the song. It continued for a while as Chaeyeon covered whatever song came up next on shuffle only stopping when the bell behind the door blared signalling the beginning of lunch – Chaeyeon’s stomach growling on instinct.

 

She made her way out and back to the classroom and people had already begun to litter the halls. Some – the shyer students – parting like Moses and the Red Sea when they saw Chaeyeon whilst others – the meaner students – purposefully bumped into Chaeyeon as they tried to make her fall. Over the 5 months this has been happening, she had become adept at predicting this and began to dodge and weave between the crowds to avoid conflict until she reached her classroom and pulled the door open carefully and raced to the back of the class to collect her bag - only to find it not there.

 

She turned slowly to the sight of some people snickering, others were desperate to avoid her gaze and often had their eyes focused on the bin for too long. She marched over to the rubbish bin at front of the room and peered inside to see her bag put in as if it was forcefully shoved to the bottom to compress the other trash inside. She huffed as she pulled out her bag and left the rest of the rubbish half-skewed across the floor. Luckily, the majority was paper.

 

She made her way back to the rooftop - surprised to see it still open after she had locked it. She glanced to either side of the door before she slipped through the gap and hid in a shaded corner.

 

Chaeyeon pulled out her lunch - which she had quadruple wrapped in the event of the bin incident happening again (she learnt after last time that 2 layers weren’t enough). She hummed to the music that still blared in her ears as she chewed her cheese and ham sandwich - it was plain but affordable on the small budget Chaeyeon owned.

 

She had just finished and was prepared to take a nap when-

 

“Lee Chaeyeon!” The voice talking with a certain arrogance and authority which was different from the normal bullies. Chaeyeon lifted her head slightly and gave the person a blank look before closing her eyes and preparing to rest. The latter didn’t allow that and ripped the earphones out of Chaeyeon’s ears which elected a slight yelp from the said girl as she glared up at the figure in front of her.

 

Kwon Eunbi was the school council president and was well respected by both students and staff alike - almost never had anyone spoken up against her leadership except Chaeyeon who continuously dismissed her warnings.

 

“How many times do I have to tell you you’re not allowed up here?” The shorter girl questioned as she stared the younger girl in the eye. Chaeyeon simply shrugged and attempted to grab back her earphones but the attempt was futile. She laced her arms behind the back of her head and rested them against the wall to act as a pillow. Eunbi only sighed in defeat - she had never made the girl listen until today she decided.

 

“You have to come to the council room. There’s something we need to discuss about your scholarship.” Eunbi began as she watched Chaeyeon’s ears perk up with fear, her eyes widening for a split second before she got up and begrudgingly trailed behind Eunbi as they walked through the corridors to Eunbi’s ‘office’ which caused many to stop and stare at the duo.

 

They stood outside the door in silence, a faint buzz could be heard from beyond the large wooden door. Chaeyeon could feel the weight of the title ‘Student Council’ looming over her, judging her every move. Anxiety washed over Chaeyeon as her eyes scanned both ends of the corridor. In her head, she calculated the quickest way to escape from the older girl. As if reading Chaeyeon’s mind, Eunbi took a few steps closer until the distance between the two was reduced to a mere few centimetres - her arm s around Chaeyeon’s and held it like a clasp. Chaeyeon flinched in pain and tried to grapple herself out of the hold but Eunbi’s strength was impressive. Chaeyeon was left to just accept her fate as the bunny girl practically kicked the door open and stomped into the room with a murderous aura – everyone’s excitable conversations coming to a halt.

 

Eunbi's sudden march forward caused Chaeyeon to almost fall as the two entered the room - the latter was certain in a moment her arm would come out from its socket. She was also sure that there would be visible indentations left on the soft fabric of her black hoodie later.

 

When Eunbi let go of Chaeyeon, the latt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter