Extra: Grandfather

Family Picture

Six in the morning. It’s Sunday and the doorbell is ringing nonstop. At moments like this Yunho wishes to have a loyal employee at home ready to attend this kind of somehow ‘emergencies’ when he wants everything except having to leave the warmth of their bed where his partner is still comfortably sleeping.

Jaejoong grunts in his sleep and just when Yunho has decided to ignore the unwelcomed visitor coming at such ungodly hour he mumbles with his eyes still closed: “Jiyool is going to awake…”

So Yunho leaves the bed smiling when Jaejoong whines unwittingly after losing his source of warmth and then curls his body over himself. Although he’s already standing, he doesn’t open his eyes fully yet and moves around the room slowly without turning the lights on to not disturb Jaejoong trying to clear his sleepy state. He manages to wear some sweat pants and a hoodie, it doesn’t matter that it’s the furry one his daughter gave him. The doorbell is ringing again and he’s trying to open the bathroom to wash up a little.

“Yunho, I don’t know if you are trying to get out of the room or getting in the bathroom, but you’re looking for a handle in the closet…” Jaejoong says and turns around chuckling.

The other also chuckles and quickly goes to the right door this time and gets out just when the ringing restarts once again.

 

 

Bitna is really mortified while explaining that her ex-husband has to go on a business trip later that day and didn’t want to miss the chance to meet with their granddaughter again.

“I don’t know why he doesn’t want to come any other day. Just for that stupid rule of his, he didn’t get to see her past month,” she says clearly annoyed glaring at the man seated at the kitchen table in the corner looking intently at her and Yunho as they prepare the breakfast. “I told him that Jiyool wakes up at ten on Sunday and he said-”

“That it’s a very bad habit. I mean, what she’s going to do when she has to go to University and will be having classes at seven in the morning.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, old man.” Bitna turns to look at him tapping the floor with her foot. “She’s only five and if she wants to sleep till noon. It’s none of your business.”

“Of course it’s my business. Why do you think I visit her strictly scheduled? It’s because I want to create good scheduled habits for her and-”

“That’s boring! And it’s me the one telling you this. You know I’m not precisely the funniest person in the world so just imagine where you are!” She goes to take a sit next to him.

“It’s not boring; it’s something good for her!”

Yunho just observes them in silence amused for their bickering and thinking about how things have changed for Bitna since Christmas. She’s livelier and happier these days and for her ex-husband, Nam Byunghoon, he knows there’s a change too even when Yunho can’t put a finger on it. He continues preparing the food, something simple, fancy things are not his specialty. Suddenly, the other people in the room go silent.

“I’ve been told you are seeing someone, Yunho. Is that true?” Byunghoon asks him, “and that Jiyool is delighted with your romantic interest. You know that it’s not like I want to intrude in your private life but all my concern is for the child and…”

“Well, yes, it’s true. I’m very happy right now.” Yunho says without turning around while cooking pancakes on the pan. “And don’t worry I perfectly understand your concern and believe me, my daughter is perfectly fine and as happy as myself.”

“That’s good then,” the man says relaxing a little.

“I told you, grumpy old man. That my little girl is happy like her daddy.”

Yunho has a glimpse of the two, she sticking out her tongue and the smiling man shaking his head, before continuing with the preparation and wondering why he didn’t turn the radio on to help to ease the heavy silence that was reigning in the kitchen now.

“Why you left without waking me up. You know I hate waking alone in the bed,” Jaejoong hugs Yunho from behind rubbing his cheek on the nape of his neck leaving a kiss there still sleepy with his eyes half closed.

Bitna clears at that moment and Jaejoong looks at them surprised letting go of his lover and fully awake feeling awkward wearing just shorts and an oversized t-shirt with his Hello Kitty slippers in front of her and none other than Jiyool’s grandfather. The little girl was right by describing his aspect as ‘a lion’. Nam Byunghoon has a mane of grey hair and amazing uncommon hazel eyes. The man is wearing only black except for the blue navy shirt and is holding a black walking stick with a silver handle.

“I didn’t know your friend had stayed the night.”

Yunho stands next to Jaejoong and pecks his cheek. “Byunghoon, Sir. He’s Kim Jaejoong-”

“I’m Yunho’s partner,” Jaejoong interrupts feeling more confident and extending his hand towards the said man for a handshake greeting Bitna after receiving a hug from her.

Jaejoong excuses himself for a moment and goes back upstairs to change his clothes.

Yunho puts a plate with pancakes at the center of the table together with honey and jelly, pours up the coffee and is preparing some toasts while Bitna brings all the necessary for them to eat. She changed indeed, no more unnecessary wear suits and high heels; she laughs more and jokes more too.

Byunghoon clears his throat this time, "erh... your partner as in you and him are a couple?"

"Yes, Byunghoon, Jaejoong is my boyfriend, well, actually he's my fiancé." He imprints to his voice all the seriousness that the furry hoodie with the image of a bear with plastic crazy eyes that move every time he moves, takes away from him. "I know that this might be surprising for you but we love each other and he loves my daughter too and she adores him... we-"

The man stops him. "I'm not questioning you but well... yea, I am surprised." Then he talks to Bitna, "why you didn't tell me? You could just have save me of looking at the guy all dumbfounded..."

"The guy has a name: Jaejoong," she says patting his arm, "and don't try to blame me for your dumb face," she says and laughs while Yunho tries his best to not do the same, "you were already like that when I met you." The three of them laugh this time, the laughter of the grandfather is rich and deep and very contagious.

 

Ten minutes after, around seven fifteen, Jaejoong returns to the kitchen holding Jiyool by the hand. The girl is very happy wearing a coat and a matching hat and carrying her stuffed ostrich.

She goes to greet her grandparents and shows them that she's wearing their Christmas gifts for her.

Jaejoong completes the food with fruit, milk, juice and the chocolate cereal that Jiyool loves a lot. He knows that the girl is feeling more self-assured as she left her octopus at her bedroom.

The child tells the story about her grandpa Joongdae and Grandma Hanna taking her to skate on ice. Her auntie was cheering for them from afar because she didn't know how to skate.

"Next time you should come with us, grandmother. And you too, grandfather..."

"I can't, my dear." The man shows her his walking stick. "I had an accident years ago, Jaejoong. I'm not as old as I might seem," he smiles to him.

"But you can cheer for us. Next time we're all going together!" The girl says excited for the idea. "My daddy is very good at skating and he taught to Jae..."

"That would be great, my girl. Just, please. Not this early in the morning," Bitna says glaring at her ex-husband. "I like to sleep more on Sundays."

"Why you couldn't sleep more?"

"Because this old man here- I mean, your grandfather, woke me up at four thirty to come here. He has to go on a trip today at night and-"

"You were sleeping together?" The girl asks innocently and Yunho chokes with his coffee, Byunghoon looks petrified and Bitna is bright red while Jaejoong is smiling patting his partner's back to help him. "You should let my grandmother sleep a little more, grandfather. You can come here any day so we can have time together like with grandpa Joongdae," the girl scolds not too worried now that her daddy is breathing normally again.

 

 

The grandparents leave taking the child with them to spend the day promising to come back earlier in the afternoon.

“We have a, unfinished talk with Byunghoon,” Yunho looks to Jaejoong. “We probably are going to have a lecture about how wrong is to let Jiyool sleep till noon on Sundays.” He chuckles seeing the troubled expression of the other face softening.

“Oh, well. She doesn’t sleep exactly till noon…”

"I'm glad Jiyool isn't nervous this time to go out alone with them," Yunho says putting his head on Jaejoong's shoulder smiling. "But she took her fluffy octopus just in case."

"She's more comfortable being around Bitna lately," Jaejoong says caressing his lover's cheek. "Haven't you realized about her and her ex-husband for real? Did you think that he went to her place at four in the morning just to wake her up to accompanying him here to see their grandchild?" Jaejoong says teasingly chuckling at hearing Yunho groaning.

"It's not that I'm that oblivious but I think I was still half sleep like to think about it." He sighs closing his eyes, "I guess that's the reason of their change. Even Byunghoon looks happier."

"He's a nice man and it shows, but I wonder how they allowed their separation to happen if it's very clear they love each other. Twenty years separated... it's a lot of time to be apart."

"I don't know, maybe the circumstances... I can’t imagine how it would be being away from someone you love for so long."

"I guess it’s something good then that they had decided to give themselves another chance."

Yunho turns Jaejoong around to look at him.

"I love you, you know that?”

“You better,” Jaejoong says smiling sweetly to his sleepy lover. “You’re still tired. Maybe we shouldn’t stay until two watching that movie.” He tries to go out of the kitchen but Yunho stops him holding him in place.

“Seriously?”

Jaejoong laughs and gives him a hug and a kiss, “you know that I love you too, babe.”

“That’s much better,” Yunho gives him another kiss. “You know that they aren’t going to return in a few hours… maybe we could...”

“…But not in the bedroom, I’ve already made the bed. And not in the kitchen either, last time I ended with my back frozen.”

“Then let’s do it on the sofa.” Yunho takes his hand and goes hurriedly to the living room.

There, they take a blanket covering themselves with it, snuggle to each other and sleep all the hours the grandfather didn’t let them sleep till the return of their child.

 

------------------------------------------------

A/N I wanted to write some drabbles but I write too much ^_^||| . Anyway... is this still a snippet or it's already like a one-shot? I don't know (*ノωノ)

Hope you like it