Family Picture

Family Picture

They arrive to a photography studio. During all the way there, they were yelling each other, better said, one of them was yelling while the other was singing very loud to ignore the yells.

"I don't want to go!"

"We're already here so you don't have other option." He says and sighs deeply "besides, I'm the father here so you have to obey what I say."

"But I'm the daughter here. I'm the princess and you have to do what the princess says!"

"Sorry honey, I'm the king, a king is more powerful than a princess."

"Don't wanna have a picture with this dress... I look like a dummy" the little girl says pouting.

"Nonsense, you look beautiful as your father."

"You're handsome daddy, no beautiful," the girl says giggling "You're the dummy now. Only girls and things really but really pretty can be beautiful."

"Ok, baby... now let me confirm the address with your uncle." He says smiling and takes out his cellphone, dials his cousin's number, turns on the speaker looking outside the car once again. "Hi, Changmin! I'm with Jiyool at the entrance of this 'NINE' place, is that the name?"

"Hi! Yeah, my mom says that it's an excellent photographer," Changmin answers, "make sure you get copies for me and her too."

"Uncle Minnie!! My dad wants my photo as a dummy!" Jiyool cries out whimpering "don't wanna a picture looking stupid...!"

"Did you make her wear the pink dress with the corny ribbons? You know that she hates it! I told you she wanted the red dress, she loves her red dress..."

"The pink one is cute too... besides my daughter looks beautiful with any clothes."

"At least you didn't fix her hair with the tight big curls, did you?"

"Erh..."

"Oh my...! My poor baby... Yunho!"

"And I have a giant ribbon on my head too and gloves and pink shoes... I'm a giant cotton candy... uwaah..." the girl continues with her tantrum whimpering.

"I'm telling you... you look beaultiful a-"

"How could you? I'll tell my mom too. She bought the red dress especially for this occasion."

"Yeah, but-"

"Don't cry my girl...” Changmin says ignoring Yunho, “I'll make your father wear the pink ribbon next time."

"Yah! She's not crying!"

"I'm crying! Uncle Minnie, my dad says that I'm faking my tears."

"Yunho! Don't make my baby cry or else... you'll be wearing that ribbon at your next date!"

"I'm not-"

"My daddy don't go on dates uncle... he don't need one" Jiyool says interrupting his father and forgetting her whining

"Sure baby, your dad will die alone..."

"My daddy won't die... uwaah..."

"Changmin! Don't make my baby cry!"

"Just tell him you won't go out with anyone and all solved." Changmin says amused "Don't cry Jiyoolie. You know that princesses don't cry."

"You're right uncle...” says the little girl, “but I still look like a dummy."

"That's impossible baby, you are too beautiful to look bad at all," the uncle says, "and you better go in. The photographer has a very tight schedule; my mom got you a space just because she's an important and really appreciated client."

"Right... Did you bring your other outfits?" Yunho asks to his child "you can't say I'm that bad... I let you choose all of them."

"But you didn't let her wear the red dress," Changmin says. "Love you baby, don't forget we have a party next week. Good luck bro!"

Yunho hangs up the phone and looks to the girl who is frowning now and has her arms crossed. He sighs, unfastens his seatbelt and gets out of the car. His daughter is still mad when he opens her door and unfastens her seatbelt and maintains the silent treatment to her father even when he takes her suitcase out of the luggage carrier.

"I don't know what you put in here but it's too heavy..."

"I brought things..." the girl says suddenly with a mischievous smile.

They enter the place and head to the young receptionist to ask for the appointment. The girl is stomping her way, her dad tries his best smile to distract the woman from the tantrum machine.

"Good morning, Miss. I'm Jung Yunho and she’s my daughter, we have an appointment for a photographic session."

She gives him back the smile and checks the schedule for Saturday. "Good morning, Sir. You're on time, please take a seat. You'll go in in a moment," she says pointing to the room that is the photo studio for sure.

"Thank you, Miss." He lifts his daughter and sits down on a comfy sofa with her on his lap. The girl is observing sharply to the receptionist.

"I don't like her," she says taking her dad's face with her little hands, "she is a hypocrite."

"Sorry, what?! Do you at least know what you are saying?"

"A person who says or looks like one thing and thinks or is like another thing," she says proud of her knowledge, "I'm five you know? I'm smart daddy... and she doesn't like me but she likes you."

"Of course you're smart baby, you're my daughter after all. That lady is just being kind." He says looking adoringly to his child, "now I need you to behave. Last time during the school photography day you made the woman angry, you didn't hear her at all. I want you to promise you'll listen to the photographer today."

"She was grumpy and boring... I didn't want to smile but she kept insisting. So annoying, daddy. She yelled at us all the time and then she wanted everybody smiling that's not how world works dad. You should know it."

"I- just-" he pinches his nose bridge "I don't know where you learn all those things... seriously I- Just promise you will behave, ok?"

"Don't wanna. If it's like the grumpy lady... Don't wanna. I don't want boring things and I'm sure it's an awful photographer..."

"But Jiyool..."

"Don't wanna, don't wanna and don't wanna!" She says shaking her little head. "I'm five now, I can decide for myself."

"Oh yeah... You're a woman now, so you don't need to sit on my lap," he says putting her on the coach next to him.

"Daddy! I'll tell to my auntie and my uncle Min! You're so mean... uwaah" she says whimpering once again but Yunho ignores her and takes a magazine from the table pretending to read. "Daddy up..." she says trying to go back to her father's lap.

"Oh... Rome," he says while keep ignoring the girl, "I bet there aren't disobedient children there. I could go and bring a well-mannered kid and rise-"

"Daddy no..." she says scooting to his lap "I'm your child, you don't need other... I'm sorry daddy I love you" the girl curls against her father's chest, "I'll behave."

"I hope so my dear. It doesn't matter if the photographer is an old boring dude or a grumpy lady... it's your aunt's friend so I beg you to be nice, ok?"

"Even if it's ugly and mean like a witch?"

"No witch, Jiyool. You'll be good and we can go home sooner."

"Can we buy ice cream with cookies later?"

"No, if so, you won't eat your dinner. I know you."

"But daddy, you owe me for making me look like a dummy!"

"I said no!"

"Dummy, dummy, dummy!"

"La la la la la la..." he sings covering his ears while the child keeps with her nagging.

"Erh... excuse me… Mr. Jung?" the receptionist says awkwardly cutting off the argument "You can go in, this way please."

"Sorry. Thank you," a father embarrassed responds following the woman with Jiyool in one hand and taking the bag with the other.

They enter the place and Jiyool is marvelled with the decoration, "daddy this is super cute!"

"I'm glad you like it," a guy says coming to them "Good morning Sir. I'm Kim Junsu, the photographer's assistant. He'll be here soon." Yunho greets him back and looks to his child to do the same.

"Hello! You made this?" The girl asks still in awe seeing the large octagonal room that has a special style on each wall, her favorite is definitely the one with the giant fluffy elephant.

"I just helped, everything is the photographer's idea for familiar takes," Junsu says smiling to the child, "isn't your mom coming?"

"She can't... she's dead..." the girl says.

"I'm sorry I didn't... I didn't know your mom was in heaven," the guy says apologetically.

"Or in hell... I don't know," she says shrugging innocently.

"What did you say?" Yunho intervenes while Junsu is totally speechless. "I'm sorry..." the dad apologizes, "I don't even know where she learns these things from..."

"The other day I watched a movie. Good people went to heaven, bad people went to hell. I only know that my mom left me with you and never asked for me nor wanted to see me again... I don't know if mom was good or bad so maybe she went to hell."

"Oh my gosh! Who the hell let you watch that kind of movie... I'm so gonna fire your nanny... he's a bad influence for you!"

"Don't touch my Chunnie!"

"I knew it. It was him. I will so fire him."

"Listen Daddy..."

"Don't wanna, don't wanna, and don’t wanna!"

"I look dummy, dummy, dummy! And you won't fire my Chunnie. Dad, listen..."

"Don't wanna, don't wanna and don't wanna!"

Father and daughter yell to each other forgetting Junsu's presence for a moment, who honestly is really entertained seeing the little family arguing.

"Good morning," a deep voice can be heard in the middle of the argument silencing them immediately. "I'm Kim Jaejoong. I will take your pictures today."

They both look at him. Yunho feels really embarrassed, at least his daughter is a kid but him... he was acting like an idiot in front of the most handsome guy he has ever seen.

Jiyool doesn't feel any different, now she feels really dumber, after all she's five now and thinks that she can't be like a little baby anymore, not in front of this beautiful creature.

"They are Jung Yunho and her daughter," Junsu says trying to relieve the tension in the room where the girl and her father look petrified, "they want a family photoshoot with three outfits. Right, Sir?" He tries talking to Yunho.

"Oh... yeah. I'm Jung Yunho and she's Jiyool," the man says snapping from his daydream. "Thank you in advance for your care."

"Daddy..." Jiyool whispers tugging his slave to have his attention "he's gorgeous, handsome and can be beautiful if he wants too..."

"Nice to meet you both. I wish I can fulfill your expectations with my work," Jaejoong answers and smiles leaving the others astonished. Junsu giggles and makes his exit.

"I'm sure of that," Yunho says regaining his composure, "I want something cute with my little girl here, Mr. Kim."

"I'm Jung Jiyool nice to meet you, Mr. Kim." Jiyool says bowing in front of Jaejoong as politely as her auntie taught her.

"Please just call me Jaejoong," he says to both of them returning the gesture.

Yunho is playing with Jiyool's curls distractedly and she whines, "Daddy, let go my hair, you're embarrassing me in front of him!"

"Sorry... I... What do we have to do first Jaejoong?" Saying his name feels so good, he's afraid of doing something stupid again.

"If you haven't thought something special for the first takes, you can sit on the couch together with Jiyool and we'll begin."

"You can make me look beautiful, gorgeous?" The girl asks, "my dad chose this outfit and I look like a dummy."

"Is that so? No way, you're beautiful and the dress suits you perfectly"

"See daddy? I told you the dress is fine. He says I'm beautiful," the child says blushing deeply hiding his face on his dad's legs.

"I was the first one who told you that the dress was beautiful... You're beautiful."

"Yeah but he's an expert. You only do a daddy's work. Right, Jaejoong?" She says with redened cheeks.

"Daddy's work?" Yunho asks her with a raised eyebrow.

"All daddy who loves their children see their children beautiful, if don't... they're bad dads."

"But I tell you're beautiful because you are beautiful not just because you're my child."

"So... do you want to start?" Jaejoong asks amused with those two.

"Yes, please. Sorry... we are ready. Right, honey?"

"The first one is..."

"The boring one my dad wants."

"It's not boring! It's a good one I want to have on my desk at work," Yunho protests.

"Can I take out this thing in my head at least?"

"I can fix your hair if you want," Jaejoong says smiling and Jiyool runs to him with bright eyes.

"Could you do it, Jaejoong?" She says happy, "please do it! My daddy doesn't know much about hairstyles... only ponytail and this one with the curlers."

"Jiyool! I try my best, next time I'll send you to the school with a cap and an ugly one," her dad whines gaining a chuckle from his daughter who waves him a kiss.

Jaejoong fix the girl's hair expertly in a few minutes combing the curls to give them a better shape and accommodating the corny ribbon in a more suitable way. "I have nieces, they love when I fix their hair," he says to the child that is looking at him adoringly.

The first part of the photoshoot concludes fine with many pictures of the kid with different scenarios and of father and daughter in the couch with different expressions from frowning to laughing. They fight almost every five minutes and reconcile as easy as the girl begins her tantrums. Jaejoong doesn't know if it's always like this or if they are restraining themselves because of him, it's amusing to see how their bickering ends as soon as they see him next to them.

"Can you put my pic on the moon, Jae?" The girl asks timidly for calling him like that. "It's ok calling you Jae?"

"Of course sweetheart to both questions," he answers with a bright smile.

"Jihyun had a party, she was in a castle with a pink unicorn... I think it is too common, that's why I want to be on the moon for my party."

"Your birthday is soon then..."

"It was past month. I'm five now. Daddy said I'll have a party next year and I want a space themed party. My Chunnie taught me to make space cookies... I'll bring some for you next time."

"Sure, I'll be waiting for your yummy cookies. Congratulations for your five years!"

"Can you cook well, Jae?" Jiyool says looking serious.

"People say I'm very good at that. Specially seafood... I prefer my chicken nonetheless." Jae says with the same serious expression.

"Daddy you see? He can come with us next month and we could win." she says beaming happily. "We have a competition, Jae. And we'll win if you come. You'll have to close this place that day because it's on Saturday..."

"Jiyool!" Yunho says sternly to his daughter. "I'm sorry Jaejoong. This girl doesn't know when to stop sometimes..." Yunho takes his child's arm tugging softly and the girl looks down embarrassed. "Please honey, go to change for the second part of the photoshoot. We can't make Jaejoong delay his next appointment."

"I'm sorry, Jaejoong," she said without looking up, "where I can change my clothes?"

"It's okay, princess. Don't worry. You could go to the dressing room behind the curtain," Jaejoong tells her signaling the way.

"Thank you, Jae." Jiyool looks at her father, "daddy, help me with the bag and with my zipper please."

Yunho helps his daughter as asked and let her change.

"Your daughter is really smart. I haven't heard a kid talking that clearly before at that age, Sir."

"Thank you for the compliment for my girl and please, call me Yunho... well my daughter's nanny was always really insistent about the importance of talking her clearly, no baby talk at all. He was always over me bugging with that, he says that's the reason." He smiles before the memory.

"Mrs. Shim told me that it would be just you two so Jiyool's mother isn't coming today..."

"Oh yea, well… she died two years ago..."

"Sorry, I didn't imagine that you were a widower..."

"Don't worry, actually, I'm not. Jiyool's mother and I had a relationship in the past but we were never married."

"I didn't want to be nosy..."

"Look Jae! How do I look?" Jiyool says suddenly coming to them. She's wearing a black leather jacket and black pants with a navy-blue t-shirt with a painted bear on it with black boots and silver star-shaped sunglasses.

"Where did you get that?" Yunho asks her before Jaejoong can say something.

"My uncle gave it to me... Can you put us with a motorcycle, Jae?" She asks with bright eyes.

"Of course I can. You look awesome." The photographer answers her.

"My uncle Min chose everything but the glasses, he told me he'll buy me a motorcycle when I am 16," she says smiling happily and turns her body to show her attire.

"Over my dead body!" The father exclaims.

"Daddy... no death..." the little girl says whimpering.

"Sorry baby," he approaches to his daughter, "but you won't have a motorcycle not now, not ever!"

"But daddy..."

"No buts, baby. I have to talk seriously with your uncle."

"Okay..." Jiyool says pouting, "go change daddy."

"But I didn't bring anything more. I'm fine like this..."

"I brought something for you, dad. You can't be like that with the motorcycle. Right, Jae?"

"Actually I could change your dad's clothes when I add the motorcycle..."

"But I want my daddy's body... he has a good body. Right, Jae?"

"Oh god... I'm sorry Jaejoong, please don't- I'll go change," Yunho says disappearing into the dressing room.

"You have mom, Jae?"

"Yes I do. I have parents and siblings. Back at my family house, it was always a little crowded," he says smiling. "Would you like to have siblings?"

"I'd like to have more pets. I have a dog, my grandma's dog. When she died she gave me her dog. I have two cats now, too. Do you like cats?"

"Yeah, I have two cats too."

"We could make a cats party! But my dog has to be there too," the kid says excited, "my aunt has a hamster... but I don't think he can come, my cats don't like hamsters..."

"We'll see... we can have fun. My sister has three dogs..."

"They can come too, so my dog won't be alone," she's smiling brightly, "do you like ice cream, Jae? I know a place where you can have a giant ship of chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and cookies... many cookies..."

"Ok, I'm ready. I don't know what that giant furry blue thing is but I'm not participating..."

"We'll see, daddy. I know you like Cookie Monster..."

"I do but I'm not wearing that costume."

"See daddy? You're more handsome now. Right, Jae?" She says looking at his dad that is wearing a leather jacket and leather pants combined with a black t-shirt.

“Actually, I feel like a stripper…” he says sighing.

“What’s a ‘stripper’, daddy?” the girl asks tilting her head.

“Uh, well… Forget what I said, please.”

Junsu enters the place to help to move some pieces of furniture in the studio. The receptionist goes in too to talk to Jaejoong about an appointment for the afternoon. Jiyool observes her warily and stands in front of her father that is answering some messages in his phone.

“Daddy… she’s here again…”

“She works here, baby. Of course she is around.”

“I don’t like her… she’s bad. I know… I can feel it. Can’t you?”

“Don’t say that kind of things, Jiyool, you don’t know her so you can’t know…”

“But… daddy… she’s ogling you,” the girl says pushing her father to the nearest wall, “maybe the leather outfit wasn’t a good idea…”

“What you are saying, honey. You’re imagining things. Now let’s get ready for the next part of the photoshoot, okay?”

Once the receptionist and Junsu are out of the studio, Jaejoong makes them stand in front of a green screen to take the new photos and them pose having fun with this part of the session.

“The last part is with costumes, dad…”

“Being dressed as motorcyclists, doesn’t count as wearing costumes?”

“No daddy, it’s something different.” She goes to Jaejoong, “Can we take the last photos with the elephant, Jae?”

“Of course Jiyool. You can choose whatever you want,” he says and she beams jumping happily. “Do you have a costume?”

“Yea… I brought one…” she says almost whispering with a sad look, “I’ll go change…”

“Are you fine, baby?” her father asks her worried.

“Yes daddy, I’ll be back.” She says turning around and going to the dressing room.

“I don’t know what she brought, maybe her sheep or her bunny costume. She loves them.” Yunho tells Jaejoong watching his daughter entering the dressing room, “She has many animal costumes. I think all my friends gave her at least one at some point, that’s not counting those that my cousin and my aunt bought for her.”

“That must be a pretty interesting collection,” Jaejoong smiles remembering how much he loved that kind of things when he was a child, “sounds like tons of fun.”

“It is, you know? Arriving home to find a little wolf hunting for an oversized sheep, a.k.a. my daughter’s nanny, is really entertaining to watch to say the truth.” Yunho says flashing a big smile to Jaejoong.

Jiyool comes out wearing a witch costume. “Daddy, go change…”

“But, why you’re wearing that? You don’t like it at all…” Yunho looks at his daughter worriedly, “What it is, baby… tell me…”

The little girl just avoids looking to her father going straight to the photographer, hugging him and crying inconsolably.

“Jiyool… what is it? Talk to me please…” her father tries to untangle her arms around the concerned photographer before disappearing of the room.

Jaejoong holds the girl and takes her in his arms going to the couch in the studio, she’s still sobbing and that breaks his heart. He lifts her to his lap and waits till she calms down enough.

“You don’t like this costume. Do you?” he asks and she only shakes her head. “Your dad told me you have many animal costumes… you’d prefer wearing one of those, right?” she nods looking at him while he dries her tears with a tissue, “then why you don’t do it?”

“Can I tell you a secret, Jae?” she asks her between hiccups and he nods. “There will be a play at school… it’s about a shepherdess and a wolf… I wanted to be a sheep but my teacher said that I can’t because sheep are cute and I’m too tall and I’d look awkward –it’s not my fault being tall, my daddy is tall, my uncle and my auntie are tall too… of course I had to be tall too– then during the playtime…” she dries her tears furiously with her fists, “Jihyun came with her friends to pester me… she’s so mean – my aunt says that she invited me with my dad to her party cause her mom is a … what is a , Jae?– the she was singing mean things to me so I punched her in the face…”

“You punched her?”

“Yea… and the principal made me go to her office and wanted to talk with my daddy… I tried to explain but she didn’t listen… my dad wasn’t in city so my uncle Min talked with her… it’s no fair it was only me and no Jihyun too… she started… do you wanna know what she told me?”

“What she told you…”

“She made fun of me for what the teacher said and she told me that that’s why my mom didn’t want me… because I’m ugly and wasn’t cute for her… because all moms see her babies cute but mine didn’t so she left me and she said that my daddy will leave me too…” she says bursting into tears once again, “what I’m going to do if that happens? If my daddy find out that I’m not cute anymore and he can’t love me anymore…”

“Oh princess, I’m sure that that will never happen,” Jaejoong says hugging the girl who is grasping his vest tightly while sobbing, “he loves you and not just because you’re his daughter or because you’re cute or a precious little girl…”

“He loves me because I’m Jiyool?... that’s what my Chunnie told me… but I only understand that it’s because it’s important for him Me being just Me…”

“And he wouldn’t want you any other way of the way you are… don’t listen to bad people… believe me, you’re one of the most –if not the most– beautiful and intelligent little girl I’ve ever met.”

“Really?” she looks at him stopping her crying.

“Yeah, but don’t say it to my nieces…” he tells her whispering and smiling.

“I won’t,” the kid says smiling too. “Do you wanna come with us for ice cream and cookies next weekend?” she says drying her tears with a tissue still hiccupping.

“If you want me to go, I’ll go.” He says caressing her cheeks, “but don’t get sad for mean people again plea-”

“Are you better now, my dear?” Yunho says to his daughter interrupting Jaejoong, “please don’t cry like that… I prefer you whining because you don’t like your dress or the way I fix your hair… I don’t know what to do when you cry like this,” he takes her in his arms and the child just hugs him tightly, “it breaks my heart not being able to stop your tears…”

Jaejoong just looks amused at the scene of Yunho wearing a Cookie Monster costume with his little witch holding his neck. They talk each other whispering and end laughing.

“I’m sorry, Jaejoong. I think we have taken too much of your time,” Yunho suddenly says to the photographer that check the time in his watch, “maybe we can do the rest of the photoshoot any other time.”

“Right, I have an appointment in 40 minutes,” he answers and can’t help but smile to the Cookie Monster.

“Next Saturday?” the girl asks unsurely.

“Yea, sure. I’ll be waiting.” Jaejoong calls to Junsu to tell him to fix the date. “Next Saturday at this same hour. It’s okay?”

“Yes… but… we don’t want to cause you any inconvenience,” Yunho says looking to his daughter, “right, Jiyool?”

“There’s no problem at all,” Jaejoong tells him and smiles reassuringly.

“Daddy, I invited him to come with us to eat ice cream and cookies. Can we go after the photos next Saturday?”

“Do you want me to go with you too?”

“Of course! I mean it would be great if you could come as a way to repay your kindness –it’s too hot in here– it’d be great if you join us,” Yunho says and his daughter nods approvingly.

“Then we have a date, photos and ice cream after that,” Jaejoong looks at them and he laughs when the kid cheers in contentment.

The dad is glad that the costume conceals the biggest part of his face because he’s sure he’s blushing, for the first time in years, he’s blushing and his heart is beating crazily seeing his girl going to change after giving the photographer a hug and having him now in front of him talking casually about ice cream and cookies and how fun it would be going in a ‘date’ after so much time.

“Daddy!” the girl wearing his ‘motorcyclist outfit’ shouts when father and daughter are ready to go with all their belongings packaged again and him wearing his leather pants and the shirt of his suit, “I just remembered… I can come to the photos but I have a party with my uncle Min! I can’t go for ice cream or I’ll be late,” she pouts tugging her dad’s hand.

“Then we’ll hurry up next Saturday so you won’t be late with your uncle, princess,” Jaejoong tells her pinching her cheeks and she blushes stuttering her goodbyes to the photographer and hurrying to the reception room.

“Well… it’s a pity that Jiyool can’t come… I’d have liked to go for that date- I mean for the ice cream,” Yunho says rubbing his neck nervously.

“We could still go, maybe not ice cream. What about coffee?” Jaejoong looks at him smiling.

“Okay… I’ll call you then. I have your number… well, your studio’s number not your personal number…”

“But I have yours, besides, we’re seeing each other next Saturday.”

“Oh yea…” Yunho says smiling brightly recovering his confidence, “see you then, Jaejoong.”

When Yunho and his daughter are out in their way home and Jaejoong is hurriedly preparing his equipment for his next appointment with his assistant, Junsu teases him for the big grin he has on his face since his last clients left.

“Do you know what are you getting into with those two?”

“I only can say that I’d like to find out,” Jaejoong says before they leave the place with the photographer humming one of his favorite songs.