Chapter 2

Phantom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The eeries darkness of the night twisted with the sequin-silver stars will never escape his mind even years after. The pitch-dark curtain draped over the sky and millions of bright diamonds shimmered arbitrarily. Living in the city usually means you don't get to see these beautiful blinking fairy lights in the night sky everyday. It's so surreal that it makes anyone wants to reach up for one, keep it in our hands for warmth and pocket it to bring home and keep them in a jar. 

Admiring the never-ending depth of the dark sky, Seungcheol spaced out, oblivious to the gentle call of his name.

"Seungcheol," His momentary lapse into the space came to a halt with that call. 

The woman in the front seat sighed and looked at the rear-view mirror to make contact with Seungcheol's eyes to exhibit her sincerity.

"Did you enjoy what you saw today?" She asked, sustaining her vision on the road as well as on Seungcheol. 

He more than enjoyed what he saw. Through somewhat a long drive, he was taken to a small hill near by his city to see the bling ornaments pasted on the sky which never failed to intrigued him. Seungcheol was young to be a boy interested in astronomy and was definitely young to be a boy in the astrophysics club. His parents always thought that he'd become a scientist.

"No," If it were under any other circumstances, he would've disclosed his actual feeling of excitement. But earlier that evening, the 11 year-old Seungcheol had learnt that his family had been shattered into pieces following his mother's announcement of separation with his father. 

Seungcheol was never really fond of his father like he was with his mother, but he couldn't complain that he was not a good dad. While he was, indeed, deprived of his fatherly affection, he did not lack any care or attention from him. He knew that it was his exterior that was cold and not his whole personality which eventually led his mother to make this decision.

"Seungcheol, I know you're mad but will you please listen to me?" His mother pleaded him but he had a stone-cold expression plastered on his face while ignoring her.

Every child longs for a family who are together through ups and downs, cherishing every moment of their lives. While Seungcheol's parents did have trouble communicating with each other, they never let him know that since they wanted the best for him. Maybe that's why this came out as a big blow to him.

"Your dad is not a bad person, honey," 

"Then why are you leaving him!" He yelled at her, revealing his anger and how hurt he was. This was the first time his mom heard him talk since she apprised him of their divorse. 

"It's just that, we've had our differences. It's between mom and dad and it no way involves you being the reason. Your dad and I, we still love you and we aways will," His mom wasn't even sure if he was listening anymore since he resumed his previous posture of gazing out the window. 

All she could do was wait and hope he would get over it soon. She did take him to one of his most favourite places to do one of his most favourite activities- stargazing, but throughout the night his face expressed no emotions. He wasn't young to act out on his feelings like kids do nor was he too matured to handle it on his own. He was somewhere in-between, where experiences like this might turn into a trauma. Just like always, he hung on to the stars for answers and implored them to help him get through it.

"What do you want to eat, honey? Do you want pick some from the drive-thru," His mom asked him in another attempt of making a conversation and still there was no response from him.

Her face was seen visibly anxious when Seungcheol peeked through the rear-view mirror and just when he caught her eyes glimpsing the back seat, his eyes started pleading her, wanting her to not do it. His mother couldn't seem to rip her gaze off of his hurtful face although she should've.

And it was too late when she did take her eyes off and brought them back to the road. The next moment, her eyes were blinded by the intense illumination from a vehicle on the opposide side. Following this, there was a loud bang resoluting across the streets. 

When Seungcheol managed to open his eyes, he was standing outside their car, which was now upside down after rolling down a steep. His eyes followed the source of the crash and he saw an enormous truck, barely on track, after hitting the guardrails. As confused as he was due to the fact that he couldn't feel any pain, he was even more confused seeing himself inside the car. 

After a bried period of time, he noticed that his mom was lying on the ground with her face covered in blood. His breath immediately started to shorten seeing her barely alive. She reached out her hands towards his body as an attempt to touch him and seeing this from a little afar, he tried shouting out to her, yelling he was standing in front of her. 

By this time, he had a picture of what was happening. Although he dreaded for it to not be true, he was old enough to know that chances of surviving such a crash was almost next to impossible.

Anyone would say heaven was on their side cause a car happened to pass by a road which was almost always deserted. A young couple stepped out of the vehicle in horror of seeing the scene and the man almost immediately phoned the ambulance while the woman went to check on them.

"S-seungch-" His mother's tiny voice managed to reach Seungcheol's ears despite the fact that he couldn't move from where he was standing. She caressed his face with what seemed like tears dripping from her eyes as they mixed with her blood. 

A few moments later, he watched her eyes close whilst her cold hand still cupped his face. Seungcheol hoped for what he thought to be just his imagination but his imagination turned into reality when he left a hand on his shoulder. 

He turned around to see the beautiful face which greeted him every morning with a cup of milk, the face which he always looked at when he had a bad day at school. At that moment, he could feel how he would've felt when he first saw the face of the angel who gave birth to him. 

Her eyes portrayed concern and fear but none of them were towards herself but him.

"Seungcheol, you're not supposed to be here. This isn't supposed to happen," She panicked and her voice was filled with anxiety. Her hands were on his shoulder, shaking it lightly, as if she could wake him up and tell him everything was just a bad dream.

"It's all my fault. I'm so sorry, baby. I'm sorry. I can't believe I did this to you," Her eyes were filled with tears of pain and he reached her face to wipe them since it might be the last time he could see this face.

"Mom, it's alright. It doesn't matter. Without you, there's no life for me out there," Seungcheol was a strong person even as a kid and he wanted to stay that way for his mother but the fact that he might not be able to see her ever again frighten him and as a result, his eyes teared up as well.

"No! There's so much you need to see, so much you need to experience. You need to love and be loved, care and be taken care of. You need to show the world how good of a person you are. You need to express your passion and work towards it even if the whole world is against you,"

"Seungcheol, there's a whole new world out there and although I had built one for you in my thoughts, I want you to experience everything I had and hadn't experienced in my life. So, please. Don't say there's no life for you. All I want right now is for you to return back," She was sobbing while h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter