Act 3 “Nightfall”

Hospital of the Death

 

Act 3 “Nightfall”

 

Changmin could feel his poor tummy screamed out loud; louder than the zombies’ cries. Oh, he’s so starving and he wanted to eat so badly. He knew he couldn’t get out from the room or the zombie would ‘eat’ them for sure but! He wanted to eat, damn it!

“My bag,” Jaejoong suddenly spoke and pointed to his bag. Changmin took the bag and the oncologist took out a box of meal. Changmin’s eyes almost popped out from their sockets.

“We need to eat and since this is the only food we have, we should share,” Jaejoong warned the starving kid in front of him as he woke Junsu and Yoochun.

“Okay,” Changmin finally spoke as he ate up his share. It was so delicious till his tears almost flew out; how he wished he could eat the box by himself.

“Thank you, Jaejoong hyung,” Junsu said sleepily as he ate.

“Thanks,” Yoochun spoke.

“If anyone doesn’t want to eat, feel free to give it to me,” Changmin declared as the rest laughed softly. Changmin pouted as he swallowed his food.

“What time is it?” Yoochun asked.

“Three in the morning,” Junsu looked at his watch as they sighed.

“Is there really people coming to save us or that black-clothed army will only let us rot in here?” Changmin asked.

“They’ll send someone in, trust me,” Jaejoong reassured.

“How can you be so sure?” Yoochun asked.

“Because they came for me,” Jaejoong muttered.

“Hyung?” Junsu and the rest were confused.

“Do you guys remember an incident three years ago when the international airport was being closed for a month?” Jaejoong asked as he continued,” That’s also because SMV; the entire airport turned into zombies, I was the only survivor. That’s why I become paranoid and have gun storage in my house and office. I also always bring a handgun with me wherever I go.”

The three guys gulped down; imagining themselves in Jaejoong’s condition. No, they would go insane; they didn’t want to be in Jaejoong’s position at all.

“He…He’ll come,” Jaejoong said as they decided to ask no more. Changmin was curious who Jaejoong meant by ‘he’ though.

Junsu was taking his turn now as the three men fell asleep. They didn’t have any protection left; their guns had run out of bullet. Suddenly, Junsu remembered something. This laundry room was not so far from the hospital kitchen! Maybe they could get some tools there to protect themselves! He would tell the other first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Sighing as he sang silently inside his head; Junsu looked around and realized there’re some leaky liquid on his hands. The darkness of the room couldn’t let him saw clear. Using the light from his i-pod; he lightened his palm, just to realize it was blood.

Terrified, Junsu brushed his hand off as he searched for the source of the blood. He crawled passing the washing machine and discovered a body. It was ripped out from outside till he could see the organs. Junsu gasped as he fell back. He knew the man; it was one of Yoochun’s surgeon colleagues.

Suddenly, the eyes opened and looked at Junsu; like a monster staring on his prey. Breathing heavily, Junsu got up as he rushed to the others. He didn’t look back at all as he furiously waking Yoochun up. Yet, Yoochun wasn’t a fast-waken type.

“Chunnie! He…he turns into zombie! He’s awake now, what should I do?!” Junsu was so frightened as he heard the hoarse voice slowly following him. Jaejoong and Changmin were also half-awake now. Horror was shown on Jaejoong’s eyes as he snapped out from his sleep. The zombie was right behind Junsu and was ready to hurt him.

“Eat this!” Changmin cursed as he used nearby broom to smack the zombies, causing another break bone. Due to his heavy wound, this zombie was way slower than the others and had trouble to walk; so it could only crawl. Changmin smashed the zombie on the head over and over again till the monster stopped moving.

“Changmin, help me get up. We have to get out of here. He’ll call the others in no time!” Jaejoong ordered.

“Do they have some kind of telepathy?” Yoochun asked.

“Apparently yes, they could feel each others’ presence. That’s why if one of them discovers us and we’ll be surrounded in matter of time.”

“The kitchen!” Junsu suddenly spoke,” We’ll need tools to protect ourselves!”

The rest got the signal as they marched toward the kitchen. A zombie was on the entrance, it’s the chef actually, but Yoochun kicked his head off and they locked the door from inside. Acting fast, Changmin got bunch of knife kitchen as his weapon; Jaejoong took a butcher knife; Yoochun got a twin machete; Junsu took a very long knife. Okay, they’re set! Or not…

They could hear bumping sound from the other side of the door, which was zombies flooded. They rushed out from the kitchen through another door that connected to the cafeteria. They locked the door using a chair to hold it. As they entered, the light suddenly went out. Couldn’t see a thing except the food corner, Yoochun guided all of them to hide behind it.

“What now?!” Junsu whispered desperately.

“They took the electricity out,” Jaejoong explained,” Damn it!”

“Why are you cursing hyung?” Changmin was confused.

“Because we’re in disadvantages, we can’t see a thing meanwhile those zombies can hear and see us. The virus improved their hearing and seeing ability abnormally,” Jaejoong explained.

“Crap,” Yoochun suddenly cursed as he pointed to the mirror in front of them,” Is this just me or…is that real?”

The other side of the corner they’re hiding in, where people usually sat in the cafeteria was turned into zombies’ campaign. There were like twenties something and they’re really out numbered. Staying silent, they did their best to keep quite as a zombie passed near them. Yet, their darkest horror sworn upon them as the zombie gazed at them by the mirror reflection.

Hoarse scream could be heard instantly as Yoochun cut the zombie’s head with his twin machete. The other zombies roared as they marched toward the four men. Junsu swang his sword in rotational movement; killing two zombies instantly on the throat and copping them like vegetables. Meanwhile, Changmin threw his kitchen knives perfectly pierced the zombies’ brain; guess his skill in playing all-kind-of-games wasn’t a waste after all. Next to him, Jaejoong tried his best to stand still with only one leg as he dodged a zombie attack and chopped the head with the butcher knife.

 They managed to kill at least ten zombies nearby but soon surrounded by more. Heart beating rapidly, they prayed they would somehow make it out. Then, Changmin got a brilliant idea; he had Jaejoong’s  leftover bomb inside his pocket. Giving the signal, the rest of them hid back behind the counter as Min threw the small grenade into the zombies. Huge sound deafened their ears as they got out from their hiding place and moved toward the exits. The zombies behind them weren’t all dead; they just burnt badly and still tried their best to chase them.

“The stairs!” Jaejoong pointed to the emergency stairs as they encountered more zombies in the hall; even the lift was flooded with zombies. Changmin, still helping the limp oncologist did his best to follow Yoochun and Junsu from behind. They kept going up till they reached the rooftop door; just to find it was locked.

“Damn!” Yoochun cursed as he looked downstairs; they zombie was only few steps away from them.

Trapped, this time definitely checkmate, Changmin didn’t know what to do. The fear was eating his alive as he threw all of his kitchen knives anxiously towards the zombies. Yoochun and Junsu did their best to keep the zombies away and proceed downstairs; but they couldn’t. The zombies kept moving forward; stepping on the dead one as they hungry hoarse scream tore the men’s soul.

Yoochun pulled Junsu up before a zombie managed to bite Junsu’s shoulder; he kicked it and threw it few meters away. Jaejoong felt hopeless as Changmin shielded him in front; knocking the zombies with bare hands. They’re hurt and without any protection, trying to cover themselves. Suddenly, a well-recognized voice echoed through the air. Jaejoong knew the voice.

“Get down!” the four men got down immediately as gun fired the entire wall that surrounded them; killing every zombie instantly,” Are you okay?”

“What takes you so long, Yunho?” Jaejoong muttered between his hoarse breathe.

“Jaejoong?!” Yunho was left confused to see the man he saved three years ago was there; but he got his sense back,” Hurry follow me; we need to get somewhere safe.”

The four men followed Yunho from behind as they cautiously proceeded few hallways, making sure the zombies weren’t aware of their presence. They reached a therapist office as Yunho opened the locked door, pouring them inside. Making sure he locked the door, Yunho rushed to a big black bag he saved on the cupboard; he pulled a machine gun, two handguns, and four shotguns out.

“Protect yourself,” Yunho told the others as they stormed the weapon, making sure they got as much as bullet and weapon they could. Changmin took the machine gun as Yoochun and Jaejoong took two shotguns. Meanwhile, Junsu took two handguns. They took other kinds of weapon too; like flash bombs, grenades, and smokes bombs. The man named Yunho that just saved them came really prepared.

“Is there any of you hurt?” Yunho asked as he examined the men; he realized Jaejoong broke his leg. Standing up, Yunho broke a nearby wooden chair as he used the stick to keep Jaejoong’s leg straight; bending them on the broken bones so the man could somehow walk or even run.

 “Are you the one they sent in?” Changmin dared to ask.

 “Only you alone?” Yoochun pressed the question as Yunho nodded. He couldn’t believe it at all.

“Don’t worry, it’s my specialty to deal with those things,” Yunho confirmed,” We need to minimize chances that they discover us before we make out of here; less people less mistake and less sound.”

“From where will we make it out?” Junsu asked as Yunho finished tending Jaejoong and moved to examine the others; making sure they weren’t infected.

“The drain system; we will get out from there,” Yunho explained.

“Why? Is so dark and risky to go out from there,” Jaejoong asked.

“Because it’s the only way out,” Yunho answered,” The west wing were turned into completely ruins after the virus got there. We had no choice but to blow it up to avoid the virus got outside. They also shut every entrance in this hospital and the rooftop, which leave the drain system.”

Just when things couldn’t be worse, it’s nightmare. They thought they could save the people in the west wing but they’re wrong. They could only hope they could save themselves before it’s too late.