Act 1 “The Outbreak”

Hospital of the Death

Act 1 “The Outbreak”

 

“Changmin ah, could you help me with this?” a doctor grinned as he pointed to his overwhelmed dustbin as Changmin smiled and nodded, yet he was sighing and cursing inside.

 

Just wait and see you stupid doctor! When I graduate, I’ll kick your and take your position! Changmin cursed inside his head as he told himself to bear the irritating feelings. He’s last year student of doctor faculty in his university despite his young ages; he would finished his studies two year faster than anyone else because his super genius mind he was born with.

“Doctor Kang, you should ask your nurse to clean up the medical trashcan since he’s just a normal janitor. What if he does anything wrong?” an oncologist named Kim Jaejoong appeared. His figure was slightly shorter than Changmin, his raven black hair and big beautiful eyes made him seemed a bit feminism.

“Oh yeah, I’ll,” Doctor Kang smiled awkwardly as Changmin excused himself. He thanked Jaejoong with a bow as the oncologist winked at him. Changmin definitely loved that doctor; he had been kind to him ever since he started working there. Not forgot to mention, the food Jaejoong made, it’s the most delicious meal in earth he could ask for. Jaejoong was famous to bring his own meal from home and his cooking was tremendously yummy, especially for Changmin’s tummy. He was lucky sometime Jaejoong would share his meals with him.

Changmin looked at his watch and realized it was lunch time. Accelerating his steps, he got into the cafeteria and used his free coupon meal for workers. One of the good things working there was you got free meals. Just when he was about to select his seat, he was bumped into someone.

“Ouch!” the shorter man grinned in pain, luckily Changmin managed to catch both of their trays; the food was safe.

“Sorry,” Changmin muttered to the man, who’s a nurse.

“Watch where you’re going seriously, janitor,” another doctor came out as he took the nurse’s tray and both of them got to their seats. Changmin was kind of pissed off because the ‘janitor’ thing. The point was, many doctors didn’t appreciate janitor like they should, except an oncologist name Kim Jaejoong. Changmin sat on his sit and could hear the conversation of the two people he just encountered.

“Are you really okay, Junsu ah?” the doctor asked in genuinely concerned voice.

“I’m fine, really,” the nurse answered,” I kind of feel bad for the janitor, Yoochun ah. You shouldn’t blame him; I’m also at fault for not seeing where I was going.”

Changmin nodded his head. At least, the nurse wasn’t that bad. He ate his food fast like he always did and finished them in no time. He got up and took the tray to the dirty plates section and was ready to get out from the cafeteria. Just before he pulled the door, it was pushed from the other side. Changmin looked up and swore his eyes almost popped out from their sockets.

The figure was beaten up so badly with some dead blood surfaced on his skin. His eyes were soulless but the hoarse soft screaming was horrifying.  The figure took heavy steps as Changmin stepped back in terrified stage. Never once in his life he had seen this kind of thing, not even in his practice class.

Couldn’t hold it any longer, Changmin rushed to back to a dustbin and threw up his whole lunch. He looked back and realized the figure was gone. The door was closed and everyone was looking like him like ‘what the hell’.

Changmin knew what he saw, he couldn’t make a mistake it. Approaching the door slowly, he took a peak and the figure wasn’t there. A few people passed by the hall and looked at him with worried eyes because hell, Changmin was sweating so badly.

“Are you okay?” a sudden voice of Yoochun shocked the hell out of Changmin as he froze. Junsu was next to Yoochun with worried face.

“I’m fine! Thank you!” Changmin took hundred steps away from the cafeteria till he reached his janitor room and hid inside his locker for an hour maybe, or even more. He had gone mad, hadn’t he? No, he couldn’t have gone mad, even though one of his friend predicted so because his so-genius mind. Shaking his head, he got out from his locker and took deep breath. He was ready to get out from the room but suddenly he heard the hoarse screaming once again. He looked back and spotted no monster; he decided to call it monster. He peeked outside as he couldn’t believe his eyes.

Changmin closed and locked the door as he swore he was having a nightmare. He punched himself and it hurt like hell. No, he wasn’t dreaming. The scenery he just saw was crystal clear; the hall was full of those monsters. They’re dressed in nurse and doctor uniform and even some in patients’. He peeked from the jalousie and the view stayed the same. Oh God! What’s it now!!!

Changmin went back to his locker and took his phone, ready to call for help. But cursed the signal, he got none. Calming himself, he took deep breath and thought; he had to do something to save himself. He thought of the nearest route to get outside and he got one; through the east wing side entrance!!!

Changmin took his broom and used the bucket for his helmet. He used the mop and wore it as armor. That would make the monsters couldn’t touch him, right? Okay, he used to play video games too much. Counting to three, Changmin stormed out from his room and locked the door fast before he ran. He needed back up plan if he couldn’t make it to the entrance, at least he could stay in janitor room until helps got there. He’s such a genius.

His proud thought was disturbed as the monster chased him from behind; making him went hysteria by their horrifying voices. He took thousand steps and didn’t look back at all. The screamed disappeared little by little as he finally reached the way out. He tried to open the door but he couldn’t! That’s when he realized it was locked from outside.

Changmin couldn’t believe his eyes; there’re some kinds of black-suit army outside and they just stayed silent, didn’t help him even though he was screaming like hell. Changmin was on tears as he begged for help as he jumped when a hand shut his mouth.

“Don’t scream!” a voice whispered,” Or they’ll get you…”

Changmin looked back and discovered Jaejoong. He cried in relief as he hugged the doctor.

“They won’t help us,” Jaejoong spoke,” Hurry and come with me; I’ll explain everything after we get into safe place.”

Changmin followed like a lost schoolboy as he stayed silent and paranoid at the same time. He kept his eyes looking around as he walked. They reached Jaejoong’s office in one minute’s silent walk and Jaejoong locked the door. Changmin saw the office was like scrambled egg; Jaejoong always kept hings neat. Something was wrong.

“It’s a virus, called, SMV,” Jaejoong suddenly spoke,” It stands for Stupid Monster Virus...”

Changmin just looked at the other man silently, still shocked to the bits.

“Okay, sorry. I guess the jokes didn’t work out,” Jaejoong said as he sat next Changmin, touching the trembling hands,” Don’t worry, they won’t hurt us here.”

“What are they?” Changmin dared to ask as he wiped his remaining tears; he felt a little bit better.

“They’re the undead. To make it simple, this hospital is attacked by SMV, I don’t know what it stands for but I’ve read the article somewhere. The virus killsthe human and plays with the corpse to infect other humans by biting it. So as long as their saliva doesn’t get into our body, we’ll be fine,” Jaejoong explained,” We’ll turn to those monsters in less than an hour if we get bitten though…”

“Is there any cure?” Changmin asked.

“There is a cure but only to the people in transforming stage. Once they become that monster completely, they can’t be saved. We can only kill them by crushing the brain to stop them,” Jaejoong answered.

“So, will there people coming to save us?” Changmin asked.

“The army you saw outside will send someone in eventually, to save the survivor. We just need to wait,” Jaejoong spoke,” And don’t even think to try to get outside alone, even if you’re not zombies, they’ll kill you instantly…”

“How come do you know so much, Jaejoong hyung?” Changmin asked,” Reading an article wouldn’t tell you this much…”

Jaejoong only smiled and answered,” You’re really smart, Changmin ah. Hurry up and graduate to be a good doctor.”

Changmin nodded; realized he’s not in place to ask further. Suddenly, the door was bumping with horrifying noise from outside; Changmin swore he almost wet his pants.

“Damn it, they found us,” Jaejoong cursed as he used small knife to cut the carpet off the floor. Changmin saw a hidden box inside the floor as Jaejoong got it out and opened it; revealing the content to Changmin’s shocked eyes.

“Protect yourself,” Jaejoong gave a handgun to Changmin,” Remember to go for the head.”

Changmin couldn’t reply, he was way too shocked. But he knew what he should do; he reloaded the gun with the bullets and made it ready to fire anytime. Not forgot to mention, poured the rest of the bullet into his pocket. Jaejoong was amazed.

‘I…played too much video game,” Changmin confessed as Jaejoong laughed. The oncologist got a shotgun out as he reloaded them and they’re ready.

“Are we going to storm out to the monsters’ sea just like this?” Changmin shivered.

“No, it’ll be like digging our own grave. Follow me,” Jaejoong walked passed his cupboards and opened a side door that Changmin wasn’t aware before. They slipped out and they’re in some kind of tunnel. Jaejoong spoke he made it himself, in case of emergency. They got out and discovered themselves in the west wing of the hospital, in certain someone office, to be exact.

“What the hell are you doing here, janitor?!” Yoochun’s voice was surprised and terrified,” And is that a gun?! Are you trying to kill me because I call you a freakin’ janitor?!

“Of course not! I…Uh…” Changmin couldn’t find the word.

“Park Yoochun-sshi,” Jaejoong read the nametag as he continued,” Do you see anything unusual around here?”

“I don’t see anything unusual except you two!” Yoochun pointed, still shocked.

Jaejoong gave signal to Changmin to wait here as he looked outside. There’re no zombies, only few nurse and doctor were busy helping the patients. It’s an emergency section after all.

“Yoochun-sshi, you’re coming with us,” Jaejoong spoke as he dragged the surgeon along with Changmin, not forgot to hide their guns.

“Are you two kidnapping me?” Yoochun dared to ask.

“Of course not, you’ll help us to lock the west wing. We can’t allow that zombies get us from the east wing. We’ll make the main building disconnected,” Jaejoong explain his plan, Yoochun still didn’t get it,” Just wait and see, you’ll know soon enough.”

“Is this some kind of new games?” Yoochun asked.

“Well, yes, but our life is the bet,” Changmin answered as Yoochun shivered; he was sure that time these two people were either lunatic or something really bad indeed happened. Then, he realized, Junsu was in the east wing!!!