Sheet Eleven

Sketches: Life is a canvas. Love is paint. We are the artists.

“I swear it’s supposed to be in here.” I say as I circle Tartini Square one more time. I’m looking for Tartini Museum but can’t seem to grasp its exact location. Upon arriving in Piran last night from staying for several days in another city, I wanted to tour around the attractions for a bit before settling down to draw. If not for my competitive nature and pride, I would’ve stopped the search already. I arrived near a café where I saw an Asian girl humming to the music while drinking her chocolate frappe. Maybe it’s time to seek for help.

Excuse me?” I ask shyly in English. Although I’m fluent in the language, I knew sometimes my accent can be a bit hard to understand. The girl looks at me.

She has dark hair, piercing monolids, heart-shaped nostrils, and plum lips. Gorgeous is the correct word to summarize her features. “Uhm. Do you know where this is?” I showed her the guide map I’m currently holding.

Ohhh.” The girl nods in understanding. “Yes, it’s this way.” She says as she points to the alley near the café. Her pronunciation sounds like a natural. She must've been overseas for quite some time. However, I frown in disbelief upong seeing where she is pointing at.

Really? It’s not over there?” I ask again as I point at the opposite direction. I need to make sure. I don’t want to circle this place over another time.

The customer showcases a small smile and pointed at the map. “You see the bakery is here. So where do you think it is?” I pondered for a few seconds then I pointed at the same direction. “There?” I remember passing by the place she’s pointing at a while ago and I definitely did not see the museum there.

I see the stranger try to hold back her laughter which annoyed me for a bit. I had the urge to hit her as my hand automatically raises up a little higher. I won’t do it though. “No, it’s really over there. It even says Tartini outside.” She insisted on the nearby alley.

Albeit doubtful, I said my thanks to the dark-haired girl. She looked really confident in her answer but I’m still hesitant. I took tentative steps towards the side alley but not before muttering something in Korean in a very low voice. “Is she really saying the truth…”

The mumble turns out did not go unheard by the café customer. She laughs then clicks her tongue while shaking her head. “You’ll never find it in a million years if you’re like that.” She softly says to herself in Korean while I’m walking towards the direction she pointed at.

Annoying.

-

The next day, shortly before sunset, I unwantedly wandered around the city as I aimed to go back the hotel I’m staying at. “Where was it again?” It seems my bad sense of direction amplified the moment I left Korea. I sighed for the nth time.

“Are you lost again?” I looked to the side and found the woman from yesterday speaking in our mother tongue. Oh right, the annoying stranger is Korean too. “I-I’m not.” I respond with pink cheeks while darting my eyes anywhere but those monolids.

The girl looks at me teasingly. I can feel her judging me. Why of all people do I have to run into her? I huffed and glared at her. “It’s not my fault that the establishments look the same!”

The girl teases me further so I roll my eyes prepared to leave the girl behind and embark once again on an adventure to find my accommodation when the girl spoke again. “Okay. I’m sorry. I’m kidding.” I turn to look at her again. “Instead of wasting time getting lost, do you want to go with me to the seaside? It’s been a while since I spoke to a fellow Korean.”

I was about to decline but she said something again. “You know Dear My Friends? The series with In Sung in it? I’m going where they shot the wine scene. They say the view is amazing!”

A spark came to life in my eyes. One of the reasons why I chose Slovenia was because of that show. I was actually trying to find the place earlier but knowing my superb navigational skills, I failed to do so. And with her irresistible offer, I agreed.

We sat at the cemented area beside the shore. By the time we arrived, it’s sunset already. The view is indeed breathtaking. I sighed in relief. It’s a good choice taking up her offer. I sat down and took my sketchpad instantly forgetting about my companion.

“Kang Seulgi.” I turn to the side to find the dark-haired girl talking to me. “It’s my name.”

My breathe hitched for a few seconds. Did time stand still?

At this very moment, maybe it was the wonderful scenery around the girl, or maybe it was the vivid colors of sunset illuminated on her face, or maybe it was simply the bright smile she’s sporting and the piercing eyes that turned into adorable crescents that made me think it’s not just her name that is beautiful.

I gripped tightly to my sketchpad.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thirty-nine sheets left.