And ‘Til Death We Do Art

Sketches: Life is a canvas. Love is paint. We are the artists.

A surprise after two years ;)

I didn't really want to add because I was so satisfied with the whole story but how can I when aseul was so cute.

twitter: @kangthisbelove.

 


 

 

I love waking up with the sight of Joohyun in my arms. It’s just... exhilarating to open your eyes and see your whole world within reach, caged in your embrace. This has  been my everyday life ever since we lived together and I’m left wondering why a reality feels so much like a dream. She keeps me afloat with all these emotions and love I feel for her and the love she feels for me.

 

Just how did I get so lucky?

 

I get to be on the receiving end of this lovely woman’s heart. I get to spend my days basking in her warmth. We get to live our days in love with each other.

 

I kissed her on the forehead and softly giggled when she scrunched her nose. It’s funny how she can make my heart flutter even in her sleep. I got up and located my oversized shirt and pajama pants that were hastily neglected last night. Making sure she was well covered under the quilt, I make my way to the kitchen to prepare our breakfast.

 

She still hasn’t woken up when I finished cooking so I entered our room to wake her up.

 

Our room.

 

I smiled. The word “our” just hits differently every time it’s associated with her.

 

Our room.

Our apartment.

Our breakfast.

Our lives.

 

I’m lovin’ how the list gets longer and longer as time passes by.

 

And in the future, maybe we can add this too:

 

Our family.

 

-

 

She was still in the state I left her and with no thoughts I just decided to plop on top of her.

 

She jolted awake, “That surprised me!” I just cutely wiggled still on top, “Wake up~”

 

She pretended to be annoyed and kicked me in my bum, “Yah. Move away!”

 

I giggled at her and decided to get up. I grabbed her shirt on the floor and handed it to her so she can cover her ness.

 

“Are you excited for our date?” I asked her while washing the dishes on the sink after breakfast. She went near me and encircled my waist with her small arms, “I always look forward to anything with you.” I looked at her and placed a small peck on her cheek.

 

“Where are we going this time?” She asked with a curious tilt of her head.

 

I grinned at her.

 

“You’ll know when we get there.”

 

-

 

We have been on a lot of dates and we definitely have done a lot more but this time makes me both giddy and nervous.

 

I have a lot in store for her this weekend. Like seeing famous hot spots, to painting pop art, to camping for the night and lastly to, well, me proposing.

 

It wasn’t a secret by now how much I wanted to spend my life with her. And I think the best way to spend it is by placing a ring on her finger and having one of our last names replace the other. I know it’s not allowed in Korea but if we could do it somewhere else, I’d hold on it forever.

 

We started our date by touring arc.n.book in Euljiro. It’s a famous hotspot area these days. Joohyun was ecstatic with all of what’s in there that I had to stop her from buying useless things. I don’t want her to go bankrupt nor want our apartment be filled up with things she bought that will be most likely left still in its packaging. Of course, she tried to argue and her cuteness made me want to waver at times but I need to protect her wallet.

 

On our way to lunch, we passed by a flower shop which she’s so into these days. “Hey, I want this tulip so bad,” She softly said while looking at the display. Of course, I’ll get her one but not without some teasing, “Then I’ll get you a sunflower.”

 

She glared at me, “Ah, seriously!” I laughed at her and pointed at another one, “How about this baby’s breath?”

 

“Seulgi!”

 

“Or this asparagus!”

 

She turned around and pointed to a plant, “Take this pot and walk around then!”

 

I bursted into laughter. She was still trying to look annoyed but the curl of her lips is betraying her. She can’t resist me. I know because I’m like that to her too.

 

After lunch where I nagged at her for taking so much pictures and not having enough memory, I brought her to this famous pop art shop where we could paint each other. It’s funny how she was outraged seeing my unfinished painting in the middle of it. I had to assure her it will look great after.

 

Seems like she got back at me from all the teasing I did to her when she placed a cubic on her painting of me which I think looked like a pimple. She huffed dramatically at me trying to look offended, “What are you talking about? It’s art! You don’t know art, huh?”

 

Me? Kang Seulgi? Doesn’t know art? I can only laugh.

 

Oh, she also hid my wallet! I was busy talking with a staff in the pop art store. I belatedly remembered in our car and tried to find it only to see that she hid it in her cardigan.

 

She could be childish sometimes and I love the duality she brings.

 

Scratch that. I just love her.

 

The day ended with us cuddling in a camping car that I decorated with pictures of us. We just finished dinner where we ate burnt shrimps because of me, and consumed some soju we got in the grocery that we passed by.

 

It was quite funny back there actually. We were talking about our memories. We were so into the conversation and she said all these sweet things that made my heart flutter more than usual. I just thought it was the perfect time for me to give her the ring.

 

Just as I was about to do it, a gigantic bug appeared and we are left running for our lives.

 

What great timing.

 

The camping car is a great setting as it provides intimacy but I also couldn’t do it here seeing as how the girl in my arms is trying so hard to keep her eyes open. The events of the day must’ve tired her so much.

 

Even though I cannot propose to her, I just want to say one thing I’ve been longing to say. I can’t keep it to myself anymore.

 

“Joohyun?”

 

“Hm?” She replied with eyes already closed.

 

“Thank you for being with me.”

 

I kissed her forehead and we both drifted to dreamland. I’m pretty sure that even in our dreams, we are spending time together.

 

-

 

Morning came and I was awoken by the sounds of rain. Seems like luck isn’t on my side at all.

 

I woke Joohyun up with some kisses but she didn’t want to get out of bed yet.

 

When I just finished brushing my teeth, she woke up and cutely mumbled, “I’m hungry~”.

 

She finally got up but seems like she isn’t fully awake yet so she lost her balance. I was quick to catch her and envelop her in my arms. She hid her face in the crook of my neck and we stayed like that for quite awhile.

 

We got out of the van wearing our raincoats after eating Sujebi for breakfast. During this time, the rain isn’t strong and has demoted to a drizzle.

 

We walked and stopped in front of the lake. It looked so amazing and I was reminded of Lake Bohinj.

 

“It’s like Slovenia. It’s beautiful,” I say to her and she looks at it with sparkles in her eyes.

 

She asked me to take a picture of her which, to my relief, isn’t a panorama request this time.

 

She looked at the side...

 

And I’m instantly reminded of that day in Piran.

 

She was sketching the scenery and I was sketching her. She was in awe of the place and me to her. Just when I thought I was already so in deep, she proves me wrong time and time again. She was so beautiful back then but even prettier now that I know her heart.

 

And so I take back what I said about luck not being on my side because by pure luck, I met her.

 

The love of my life.

 

There’s light rain. The ground is wet and muddy. The mountains are a bit foggy. Two kids are even playing bubbles near us. It isn’t very ideal but it felt right.

 

 

 

 

 

She felt right.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Should I become Bae Seulgi?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She abruptly turned her head towards me, “What did you say?”

 

I softly laughed at her shocked face before I reached for the tiny box in my pocket.

 

With a knee on the muddy ground, I opened it to show the ring. I looked at her with all the love I have in me as I ask a question. THE question.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Draw with me?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She giggled and displayed her brightest smile, the one that makes me so weak, so in love.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Always.”

 

-

 

Preparations before our wedding passed by quickly. We bought an apartment around Gangnam so we no longer have to rent one. Most of the appliances were bought at Electromart while some of the furnitures were ordered and assembled by Joohyun. I helped her actually but I kind of so let her take all credit. After that, we had a housewarming party with some of our friends.

 

I get more and more anxious yet excited as the wedding date gets nearer. And when the day itself arrived, it’s an understatement to say that I was a nervous wreck.

 

It all disappeared when I held Joohyun’s hand at the altar. She calms me as much as I do to her.

 

We’ve been through so much but we were in it together. I feel so blessed and thankful to have such a wonderful person in my life.

 

And in that tiny church in the middle of Lake Bled, wearing our white wedding dresses, we shared our vows of forever in front of our loved ones. It was not a grand wedding, no fancy decorations, but all the people I love are here and that is my definition of perfection.

 

Years ago, we were two people in this same church wishing for each other’s happiness not knowing we are each other’s.

 

“Joohyun, a lot of your wish came true. I met someone I’d be happy to share my life with. Someone who make me the happiest girl in the world. The person who takes care of me the way I deserve to be taken care of. All except the last one. Because no one else can love me more than you could ever do.”

 

I held her hand and kissed her as our tiny audience rejoice in watching.

 

“It will always be you. I’m yours.”

 

That evening we let each other’s body be our artwork of the night. It wasn’t the first time but the feelings we shared were more than any we’ve had. Like we couldn’t contain it anymore and so we created little marks in each other’s skin.

 

It was a masterpiece.

 

-

 

We are now cuddled together while basking in the afterglow of our lovemaking.

 

I was playing with her hair but she was just looking at me. That intense look that just screams so much love.

 

Then she dropped the gaze and drew invisible patterns on my stomach before I stopped her. I held her hand and we looked at each other.

 

 

I ask her, “Joohyun, what do you want to draw the most?”

 

 

 

 

 

She smiled, gave me a peck, and booped my nose.

 

 

 

 

 

We are on the same page.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Forever with you, My Love.”