Take Me Back 3/3

Passage of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi takes a step back and snaps a photo.

“Perfect.” 

She looks at her camera to check out the photos she had just taken of the Han river and the pedestrians walking by. 

She had spent the past few years traveling all of Europe and as breathtaking as the landscape was there, the images of Seoul spoke more to her than the foreign ones.

At first it was an adjustment reverting back to her life in Korea, but just like her heartbeat, everything fell back into place - almost.

She pulls her phone that starts to vibrate and quickly answers it.

“Oh Yeri, what’s up?”

Seulgi had returned just in time to see the birth of her God son and she thrilled that the younger girl had asked her even though she hadn’t been around in years.

“Joy’s busy? Yeah, sure I can come with you to your OB appointment. Do you want me to come pick you up, or should I meet you there…alright I’ll see you there then.”

Seulgi takes one final look at the water before packing up her equipment and calling a cab.

--

She is sitting in the exam room with Yeri admiring the size of her stomach when someone knocks on the door.

“Come in.”

“Hello, My name is Dr. Son, I am taking over for Dr. Hwang today, unfortunately she can’t be…”

Seulgi freezes at the familiar voice that she had been hearing in her dreams the past few years. She slowly looks up to see Seungwan holding a chart with wide eyes and mouth open. She was wearing a white blouse paired with a black skirt showing off pale skin and black heels. Her hair was in a bun and her bangs were frayed. The bags underneath were visible on her face showing years of hard work, but her eyes were still as clear as the sky they lived under.

Seulgi musters up a grin first, “Hi Dr. Son, I hope you take good care of my Yeri.”

Seungwan’s mouth closes and she mirrors a smile filled with uncertainty, “Definitely. Let’s see what we have here.”

She starts examining Yeri’s stomach, but Seulgi feels a pair of eyes lingering on her.

“So Yeri, how have you been feeling lately?”

“Pretty good, just a little bit of morning sickness.”

“Oh I’m sorry to hear. Well you know drinking more fluids help with that.”

Yeri nods, “My wife tries to keep me as hydrated as possible.”

Seungwan turns to Seulgi and she can’t read the look on her face, pain?

“Well I’m glad she does.”

Yeri suddenly makes a disgusted face, “Oh no, not Seulgi unnie. She’s only here because my wife is busy at work and she would throw a fit if I came alone.”

“Oh.”

Seulgi immediately notices Seungwan’s shoulders relaxing and wonders for a minute if she had been relieved to find out that Seulgi wasn't Yeri's.

“Well, I think that’s it. You’re due in about a month. If you suddenly feel any discomfort, don’t hesitate to reach out.”

Seulgi helps the younger girl off the bed and they begin to leave when she feels someone grab her wrist. She stops and considers shaking it off for a moment, but decides to turn around instead.

She sees the doctor bite her lip and look around sheepishly, “Um…”

Seulgi turns to Yeri, “Hey, you said you needed to use the bathroom right? How about I catch up with you in a few minutes.”

If Yeri caught on, she didn’t express it and simply nods before walking off.

She turns back around to face Seungwan and sees her fidgeting with her fingers, “Yes?”

Seungwan’s head shoots up, “Y-you’re here.”

Seulgi nods, “I am.”

Seungwan’s eyes travel up and down Seulgi’s body and she can’t help but suddenly feel self conscious, “Do you have time?”

“Time?” Seulgi tilts her head

“To talk. I totally understand if you say no, but, please.” Seungwan looks at Seulgi and suddenly everything feels hazy.

She wants to say no. She wants to walk out but just like years ago, the words slip out instead, “Okay.”

--

They see each other later that night.

Seungwan is on call and asked to have drinks before her shift started.

Seulgi sits down in the armchair across from Seungwan in the hospital café.

“Usually when people go out for drinks, they mean a cocktail.”

“I mean if you were going to binge drink, this would be the place to do it.”

Seulgi smiles as she orders a croissant to go with her hot chocolate while Seungwan gets a sandwich with her caramel macchiato.

When the food and drinks arrive, neither touch it. Seungwan simply runs her fingers along the rim of the mug as she stares at the tiles below her.

The air is awkward, but not entirely uncomfortable. It was faimiliar, yet different. Seulgi wonders if this is what their relationship had come to. Her thoughts are broken when Seungwan finally speaks.

“Five years.”

Seulgi looks down at Seungwan’s scrubs and sees the ripped bottoms, probably from the length and the petite girl dragging them across the ground.

“Five years?”

“Five years wondering…wondering how you were.”

Seulgi sees the orbs in Seungwan’s eyes darken as she picks up her drink.

“It took me a minute to realize what had happened that night, an hour for me to cope with what I had done wrong, five days for me to figure out how to speak to you again, but by that time you were already gone.”

Seungwan’s eyes are glassy, “Five years wondering if that was the last time I’d ever see you.”

“It wasn’t.”

Seulgi picks up her hot chocolate and takes a sip.

“Like I said, food is better here.”

Seungwan offers a small smile, “It is.”

They talk about everything and nothing, from Yeri’s married life with Joy, to Seulgi’s trek across Europe and Seun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter