WENDY

THE NOT SO MIGHTY BLACKVELVET
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Ah thank you all for...uh...letting me join" Wendy rubbed her neck bowing repeatedly when the members all clapped and congratulated her for joining before letting out an awkward smile and continuing "Not that I'm not grateful or anything but can anyone explain to me what this club is exactly about? Seulgi didn't bother to really mention what you do in here..."


 

"Why are you always like this?" Joy asked the mentioned girl, making Seulgi blush deep red in embarrassment "Well it's obvious that everyone here is a mutant-"



 

"I told you to stop using that term" Jennie interrupted her, sending a dark glare that made Wendy shiver for a moment.


 

"What do you want me to call us then? Freaks?" Joy rolled her eyes making Jennie flip her off "Ugh whatever, we all have powers. The thing is some of them are...difficult to control so we gather here, help each other a bit and see how much we improve over the week"


 

"Oh wow...so this is real...can you give me a moment? I-I need to just...yeah" Wendy fumbled a little with her arms trying to explain herself before finally giving up and plopping herself on a stool looking up at the ceiling in wonder.


 

"Uh Wendy I know this is a lot to take in but hey! This means there’s no more secrets between us” Seulgi patted the smaller girl on the back, grin full on display “Besides this is like a dream come true for you right? You’ve always wanted to have powers”



 

Wendy smiled faintly at the memory. It was true she has always wanted to have powers, ever since she was little she’s been a fan of superheroes. It was the one thing she had in common with her father and the one thing they could really bond about other than business plans. Both being superhero fans they would go to every fanmeeting, buy every comic, poster and figurine the heroes in their city had, sometimes they would even compete on who had the largest collection with Wendy  winning last year’s count when she got a special edition comic signed by Frostbite herself. Despite the great bond she got with her father thanks to them, what really made superheroes so especial for her was that she was saved by one when she was only seven years old.


 

It was a particular and unusually hot day in Canada, for once you could see people dressed like they were going to the beach, complaining over and over again about how “hot” it was, the snow that usually covered the road and streets was nearly all gone leaving the meteorologist all utterly confused as to how was that possible when everything was completely normal not even 12 hours ago. The only person who seemed happy about it was Wendy, it was friday so that meant she could wear normal clothes for her school, she couldn’t wait to show her friends the cute yellow summer dress her mother recently bought for her, she even made sure her mother arranged her hair with the prettiest ribbon she had.


 

Skipping down the streets Wendy noticed how with the sun shining as bright as it was, the flowers that normally surrounded the path to her school seemed to glow all different colors. Enthralled by their beauty she bent down and picked the biggest one out of them and put it behind her ear, spotting a large puddle a few meters ahead, she quickly made her way to it so she could look at her reflection and see for herself how it looked. Being a nice shade of pink she was delighted how it went so well with her summer dress and instead of taking attention from it, it enhanced it.


 

For Wendy the day couldn’t have gone better even if she wished it did. All her friends complimented her on her pretty dress, her mother made her favorite food for lunch and even sent her cookies as a snack (cookies!). The teacher gave her two cute stickers for doing her whole homework without having a single mistake in it and for helping a classmate with their own homework when she saw he was struggling with it. The boys finally let her play with them and to everyone’s surprise her team won. And now for the end of the day they will be watching a movie!

 

It wasn’t until the teacher plugged in the tv to watch the movie that everything went wrong. As soon as she did, the light’s went out and a loud bang sounded outside the classroom scaring all the kids  prompting them to start screaming and crying. What followed then was the unbearable heat and smoke filling the classroom as soon as the teacher opened the door to see what has happened. The thick clouds of smoke rapidly spread along the whole floor making it extremely hard to see and control all the scared children running around in panic. Among the mess that was happening Wendy felt lost, she could faintly see the figure of her teacher but she seemed far away, breathing was becoming harder and harder by the minute, she spotted one of her classmate hiding under his desk, crying while clutching his now grey blanket tightly in his tiny arms.


 

She tried calling her teacher to tell her about the boy still in there but everytime she opened to scream it was interrupted by a fit of coughing. With no other choice she went back inside the classroom and told the boy to get out, glancing down the hall she could see flames coming out of a few doors and quickly approaching where they were, wood creaking the longer she stared and the flames got closer. Seeing that the boy wouldn’t listen to her she grabbed his arm and after a few minutes of struggle finally got him out of the desk and into the hallway.


 

It was so so hot.


 

Once she tried helping her mother make dinner for her father’s birthday, she got so excited watching her mother do all sort of tricks to make sure all the meat and vegetables cooked well that she didn’t even notice she was a little bit too close for her to be safe so when a sudden rise of the flames on the pan happened she was very close to getting her left hand all burned up if it wasn’t for her mother’s quick reflexes and luckily only her pinky was lightly graced by the flames. It hurt a lot, even when the cool water relieved her pain a bit it still hurt, she had to wear cold compresses  for the rest of the week which prevented her from playing piano and that made her extremely sad.


 

Knowing how bad fire hurt, seeing the flames so close to them made her panic, the teacher that was previously in there was nowhere to be seen and the boy besides her couldn’t stop crying in her ears making her lose focus on what to do. The only thing she was sure was that she needed to get away from the flames so tugging the boy and using all the amount of strength she had left, dragged him and herself in the direction she saw the teachers and children running to. Walking down the stairs she felt herself starting to lose consciousness, everything was blurry and things seemed to go close and farther away at once, the boy she was dragging passed out a minute ago and with the extra weight on her she didn’t think she would be able to climb down all the way.


 

Just when she slid down the floor and rest against the wall did she notice that a part of the staircase started cracking and collapsed in front of her, with no hope and exhausted she felt her eyelids start to close on her own accord just before she completely closed them she saw a blue blur flash past her and the fire quickly coming her way be extinguished by a thick wall of ice.


 

When she finally woke up she was greeted by the brightest, whitest grin she’s ever seen along with the bluest eyes in the whole world. The woman carrying her finally put her down, she seemed to be talking but Wendy couldn’t hear anything she could only stare in awe at the gorgeous angel that has saved her, she was wearing a baby blue full bodysuit with white details that made it seem like she was being covered with sparkling snowflakes, the blinding sun from earlier was now gone leaving instead a nice light that highlighted the woman’s ethereal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter