PROLOGUE

THE NOT SO MIGHTY BLACKVELVET
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You would think that finding out that you have superpowers would be the of your life, the beginning of an amazing and unbelievable ride filled with amazing new skills and badass crimefighting...well in Wendy Son's case that can only be nothing but a dream. Why? Well if only her powers suited her skills more...

 

It all started the night before her fundamental of management test where she had to give the progress of the project to her professor that was worth 30% of her final score, she has been struggling to come up with an adaptive strategy that could actually satisfy her, now, it wouldn't be quite as frustrating if her project partner hadn't suddenly decided that business wasn't for them and dropped out of school, leaving her with all the weight of the project on her shoulders with no idea on what to do with her ex-partner's unfinished part of it.

 

With a defeated sigh she let herself recline in the chair, blankly looking up at the ceiling as if it would suddenly give her the answers she desperately needed, unconsciously she finished the doodle on the edge of her notebook. It was a funny looking dog with floppy ears, large uneven eyes, round black nose, four different sized legs with a body made of uneven and shaky lines ending in a big fluffy tail.

 

Shaking her head Wendy swiftly got up from the chair and got out of the room, returning with a coffee in hand, unfortunately for her not a minute later that same coffee ended up sprawled on the floor when she heard a loud bark reverberate through the room. Startled she looked around, waiting to see a dog appear but to no avail, carefully she walked through the room searching every place where the mysterious dog could be hiding, she even went as far as to go look outside the window and up to the roof but nothing.

 

Once she turned around another bark sounded quickly followed by several more.

 

"Uhh...hello?" Wendy tentatively asked making cooing noises to appeal to the dog. The more barks she heard the more she started to feel nervous, how could a dog managed to enter the room without her noticing? if a dog managed to sneak up there without her seeing it so could a stranger!

 

Upon a closer inspection of her room she noticed something she hadn't before, she even had to adjust her glasses to make sure that what she was seeing was real and not some trick of the light or something, because it was impossible that, there in her desk was the dog she previously drew in her notebook (considerably larger in size now mind you, maybe that of a jewelry box).


 

It's said that you could recognize your own drawing style anywhere and Wendy could swear that that "dog" was most definitely a work of hers.


 

"How in the world..." The small girl started to slowly approach the dog until she was close enough to stick a finger out to touch it, as soon as she was close though the dog bit it leaving a small mark with tiny flecks of blood in it "Why you little..."


 

Wendy immediately went to grab a box to trap it but the dog seemed to sense it and quickly leaped from the desk and unto the floor bolting through the room sniffing and barking at everything it encountered, it was kind of funny (and more than a little impressive) how the little thing managed to be so fast and agile considering it's four different sized legs, maybe in another time, in another world she would laugh at the show but now though? Now she was annoyed by seeing her perfectly neat room in such a messy state; her perfectly made bed was now a mess with the covers all over the floor, all the things on her desk and various books accompanied the covers and the growing pool of the coffee she dropped earlier would for sure leave a stain if she didn't clean it soon, on top of that the little rascal was even ripping apart one of the fallen books!


 

Taking this chance Wendy darted forwards and trapped it inside the box, however this dog was stronger than it seemed and quickly realizing that the box wouldn't contain it for much longer Wendy started to frantically look around the room trying to come up with a new plan.

 

"How do you trap something that you don't even know where it came from?" She thought while firmly holding the box down shaking and moving with it "I mean it must have come from the notebook but..." Her train of thoughts was interrupted by the dog escaping it's trap now fiercely trying to bit her again.


 

With the dog now on the offensive the purple-haired girl had no choice but to back down until her lower back hit one of the desk's legs, in a panic and just before the dog leaped and bit her she held up the notebook besides her and held it up in front of her face, eyes firmly shut in anticipation.


 

Everything was quiet for a few long seconds before Wendy warily peeked from behind the notebook, extremely puzzled that the dog wasn't there anywhere in the room anymore, scratching her head in confusion she turned the notebook over to see if it has suffered any damage and to her utter shock she found the dog frozen with its jaws wide open mid bite in one of the pages.


 

For a moment she sat there looking like a moron, blinking at the drawing with practically in the floor.


 

"Was I just attacked by a dog now?! A dog that came out of nowhere, and not only a dog but my dog, the dog that I drew, the dog that I badly drew, the one made of ink?!" She looked at her throbbing finger with the marks in it "Ink that apparently hurts if these marks are anything to go by, and I made it disappeared when it collided with my notebook...HOW IS ANY OF THIS POSSIBLE?!!" Pulling her hair out of frustration she stood up and started pacing around the room unconsciously picking up the mess.


 

"Wait a minute, is this one of those things where the protagonist realizes that they have powers and start fighting crime? How am I supposed to do that if my own creation attacked me?! Besides shouldn't my power be something that suited me, something I'm good at? I'm a mediocre artist!" Taking a deep breath and effectively stopping her panic attack she let out a manic laugh.


 

If someone were to walk in on this, they would definitely think she lost her mind with how she was talking to herself and how hard she was laughing.


 

"Maybe I'm just too tired" She looked at her watch and sighed in relief "Yep definitely tired, I'm just drunk from lack of sleep...yeah Wendy that's it, you just need to get your on the bed and let sleep do it's magic"


 

Finally happy with her conclusion she went outside to get the cleaning supplies to take care of the spilled coffee and go to sleep.


 

~~XX~~


 

"I swear it was the weirdest dream I've ever had Seulgi" The smaller girl said to the taller one besides her, shaking her head and chuckling to herself "I think it's Twice's fault, they've been in the media far too often now to the point that in my sleep deprived state that's the first thing I think about"


 

"I don't know Wen, you've never had an episode like that before, are you sure you dreamed it?" The monolid-eyed girl asked, concern written in her face.


 

"Well yeah, I mean it sounds far too...too...outlandish!" She threw her hands up for emphasis earning a few snickers from the people walking by "Didn't you heard the whole story Sseul? As if...as if a drawing could come out to life"


 

"The Twice girls all have outlandish powers, what if you have powers as well" The other girl refuted, biting her lip and glancing at everywhere to see if anyone else could be eavesdropping their conversation.


 

"Seulgi...are you okay? You are acting weird" Now it was Wendy's turn to look worried, especially when her normally laid back best friend started to act so unnaturally skittish


 

"I...you said it hurted you" She ignored the question and continued walking, her eyes still fleeting everywhere, heaving a sigh of relief when she saw that the nearest people from them where quite a few meters away, they were some art students sitting at the grass doing what it looked like a nature session.


 

At the reminder Wendy looked down at her right finger where the dog bit her last night, she frowned when the teeth marks where very clear and visible if a little swollen and reddish.


 

"Uh...well it felt like it..." Seulgi saw her friend staring intensely at her finger and quickly took it in her own hands to see for herself "Maybe I prickled it with the pencils in the pencil-box, you know how I love to have them all sharpened"


 

"I don't think so Wen" Seulgi abruptly stopped walking making the other girl stop in her tracks as well, getting more and more confused by her best friend's attitude "What period do you have free?"


 

"I'm free at five, but Seul what's the matter?" Wendy asked, squeezing her friend's shoulder to make sure she looked at her


 

"Great! I-I'll tell you then, meet me at the science building at that time, if you get there earlier than me then go to classroom 109" The taller girl finally let out a smile and gave her a quick hug before rushing out of the park they were in, yelling "I'm late to class, see you there!"


 

"But Seulgi!..." Wendy yelled after the quickly fading silhouette of her friend in the distance "What the hell does a dance major have to do in the science building?"


 

Shrugging she made her way to her own class where she had to put on her most charming act if she wanted to convince the professor to give her one more week to hand the project's progress


 

~~XX~~


 

104....105...106...107...108...


 

Wendy stopped in her tracks and glanced twice towards both sides of the hallway where the classroom were numbered, she put out her optical lens tissue out of her case to clean her glasses and make sure she was seeing clearly.


 

"What the f? There's no classroom 109!" Scratching her eyebrow she pulled out her phone to call Seulgi, unfortunately for her the line sounded busy "Aish this dumb bear..."


 

With nothing else to do she decided to go inside the classroom 108 at the end of the hall to explore. It was a regular old classroom with multiple tables, a cork board filled with numerous photos of what looked like body parts (that made Wendy grimace at the sight) with a small description underneath every pic, on the opposite wall hang a mannequin of the human body with removable parts and besides it in a long table were tiny jars with different animals froz

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter