JOOOHYUN

THE NOT SO MIGHTY BLACKVELVET
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Last week’s club meeting was definitely unexpected. Not the chaos that ensued, that’s normal but the introduction of THE Wendy Son to her little club was certainly something Bae Joohyun would have never expected from that boring Thursday afternoon, specially when Seulgi has told her over and over again how the small girl didn’t have powers when she has asked.

 

Joohyun couldn’t help the sigh that left as she finished folding the last piece of clothing on her couch. Folding clothes always puts her in this pensive mood.

 

Can you blame her though? There’s always something so soothing and warm in doing the simple chore that helps you clear your mind from any stress you might have during the day and heavens knows Joohyun desperately needs it.

 

Contrary to popular belief being a (if not the most) popular girl in campus is nothing but a hindrance. Sure it does have its perks from time to time, such as people who don’t even know her suddenly going out of their way just so she can get first in line for whatever she wants or those same strangers volunteering themselves to do all the things no one in their right mind would enjoy doing just for her.

 

There was also that one time a girl had bought that downy softener for her just because she said she liked the smell, that had been nice.

 

But if you compared those pros to the cons you’ll find that balance incredibly outweighed. So having this little piece of quietness and peace is really what keeps her going everyday.

 

For starters you have the rumors. God Joohyun hated those. It was like her life was some kind of live reality TV show people couldn’t just get enough.

 

“Joohyun is out taking a walk on the park by herself on a winter night? She must have broken up with a boy, oh poor thing I better share this on twitter”

 

“Oh my god. Do you see that? Joohyun is within two meters of that Jin guy from the drama department. I heard she wanted to make Park Bogum jealous again”

 

“Haven’t you heard? Bae Joohyun was seen taking a drink out of her thermos in class, I bet she managed to sneak in some alcohol she’s such a bad , I love her”

 

“Have you seen how awfully close Bae Joohyun is with Jennie Kim? You didn’t hear it from me but once I saw them going into a bathroom stall... together. Maybe she’s on the experimental phase”

 

“Ugh Bae Joohyun’s poem is once again number one. I bet is because she’s ing the professor. Don’t you think is suspicious how she’s always the last to go out of the classroom?”

 

If the rumors weren’t enough then there was the managers. She has lost count of how many times a week manager after manager of every different company comes to the campus to try and recruit her for whatever industry they work for.

 

“Bae Joohyun-ssi have you ever thought of being an idol? You don’t even have to be a great singer”

 

“Miss Bae I think you’re just perfect for what XXX is looking for, would you be interested in promoting our next product?”

 

“Bae Joohyun, Bae Joohyun have you seen how popular dramas are nowadays? Come with me and I assure you, you’ll be the biggest name in Korea when it comes to acting”

 

“Bae Joohyun-ssi forget about Korea, I can make you way bigger than that. Let me represent you and we will take the world by storm!”

 

Joohyun scoffed at the memory of one of the boldest managers trying to coerce her into going into the industry. What’s more infuriating is that he decided to do so just when “Bunny-ah” was out to play so shaking him off was harder than usual.

 

And finally if there was something worse than those two combined it was the fanboys (and sometimes fangirls as well).

 

It was as if they had all come to a secret meeting and decided that they must do everything in their power to make her life ten times harder than it needs to be. Inoffensive enough when they limited themselves to shy confessions and gifting to incredibly umberable when they couldn’t take a no for an answer and resorted to insistence and stalking.

 

She didn’t even like men for pete’s sake!

 

At this rate the campus is not the only place where she’ll remain a famous figure for she has lost count of the amount of times she’s had to go to the police station to file yet another restriction order.

 

It was at these times and only at these times that she was beyond grateful to be able to duplicate herself and let her copies deal with them instead.

 

The downside of doing so was that using her power was more like tossing a coin where the results could be either extremely satisfactory or incredibly catastrophic.

 

Unlike her friend Seulgi who had the luck of being born into a superpowered family, Joohyun has had to deal with the control of hers all by herself and with oblivious parents like hers let’s just say is still a work in progress.

 

The first time she managed to duplicate herself she was only a confused 8 years old with no idea of how she was able to do some things that other kids didn’t and as if it wasn’t confusing enough for her, her parents, the only other humans Joohyun was fully comfortable with to tell them this, didn’t believe her when she told them she could talk to other people who looked exactly like herself and told her she was just probably talking with her imaginary friends!

 

Now to be fair with them being a quiet, shy kid with no friends might’ve had something to do with their sceptimis.

 

It wasn’t that she didn’t like spending time with other kids, not at all, it was that she just felt intimidated by some of them or got easily bored when they prefered to do more dangerous, uninteresting things like playing football or climbing trees rather than reading for example.

 

So okay she might have inherited her mom’s scary resting face and might have been a little more blunt than necessary with her rejections to other kids but still it wasn’t really her choice to be a loner!

 

It was in one of her tea parties with her distinguished plushy guests that it happened for the first time. She had been feeling a little bit under the weather the whole day (experiencing some sudden sprouts of coldness and heat in her body, general dizziness and rushes of adrenaline from time to time) which allowed her to stay for the day instead of going to school. She was sure that throwing the party would lift her mood and make her feel good in no time (Lady fluffy whiskers, the plushy cat, was always hilarious with her silly comments sooo fun was guaranteed) when halfway through the party, the uncomfortable, itchy feeling that has been bothering her for the past half hour started to spread all over her body till the tips of her fingertips, before she can blink, little Bae Joohyun was facing another, identical looking, Bae Joohyun. To her astonishment she was even wearing the exact same hello kitty pajamas she herself was wearing.

 

Not giving credit to her eyes, Joohyun crawled forward until she was touching the other girl’s, very real, face. Instead of leaning backwards like Joohyun herself would have done, Joohyun 2.0 broke into the largest smile Joohyun has ever seen (let alone in her own face!)

 

“Hi, you’re very pretty. Do you want to play with me?” She asked her, leaving poor Joohyun repeatedly blinking in amazement.

 

Not giving the speechless girl a chance to answer though, she quickly grabbed her by the wrist and took her where all of Joohyun’s toys and board games were.

 

“Here, let’s play this, it’s one of my favorite games!!” Joohyun 2.0 exclaimed in excitement pulling out the Ludo board and setting it up so they could start playing “You don’t speak much don’t you? That’s okay, I can speak for all the times you don’t. Now what color you want? I want blue since is closest to purple!”

 

“I...r-red” Joohyun tentatively said, earning effusive clapping from the other that somehow helped her relax and start to enjoy the overly chatty, perky company from the shockingly similar girl.

 

That night at dinner when she had excitedly told her parents about the fun afternoon she had spend with her new friend “Hyun-ah” who looked exactly like her and that she was convinced could be her twin, they just brushed it off laughing with indulging smiles that, for a smart girl like Joohyun, let her know they didn’t quite believe her but were glad she was happy nonetheless.

 

Second time she managed to duplicate herself wasn’t quite as smooth and happy as the first time though

 

It was a sunny day outside in the playground where all the kids in Joohyun’s school were happily playing around when she experienced for the first (and last) time what bullying was.

 

She couldn’t really understand why these kids were so angry with her, she just told them she found her current book waay more fun than hanging out with them and their boring game of tag. She was being honest, they had no reason to be upset for it.

 

“So you think you’re better than us, is that it?” One of them yelled angrily.

 

“Just because you’re the teacher’s favorite doesn’t mean you’re smarter than us” Another one spewed.

 

“Let’s see how much fun you have without your stupid book” The biggest one of them, a boy, smirked and pushed her off so hard she fell right on her before ripping the book from her hands and tearing its pages apart.

 

“Wait no!” Joohyun tried to get up and stop him but the other kids kept her firmly on the ground, dirtying her dress in the process.

 

“Hah now that will teach you not to look down on us” He said before gesturing the other kids to go with him.

 

Joohyun tried her best to keep her tears at bay as she desperately rushed to get every page inside the now ruined book. She couldn’t let them see it, she couldn’t let them see how much it affected her, how hurt she felt. Maybe if Hyun-ah was with her this wouldn’t have happened.

 

Just as the thought grazed her mind, the now familiar tingly sensation started to spread all over her body, making the distraught girl’s heartbeat increase in excitement at the prospect of having Hyun-ah comfort her.

 

At first glance it really seemed it was Hyun-ah, who was standing right besides her but upon a closer inspection Joohyun noticed the unusual fire in her clone’s eyes. Not-Hyun-ah for her part simply stood there, quietly studying her before nodding and clenching her fist till her knuckles were white.

 

“I’m not her” S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter