SEULGI

THE NOT SO MIGHTY BLACKVELVET
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For Seulgi having powers was always a bittersweet feeling. For once she’s been exposed to them all her life, since very little her mother would often entertain her by morphing her face in all kinds of funny shapes and objects while her father made sure to make her feel like a Disney princess by telling all the animals they encountered and had as pets to do all sort of funny things to make his daughter smile, so she knew first hand how fun having powers was. Having inherited both of their powers in such a unique mix, she was destined to greatness...or so they had told her.

 

The first time her powers manifested themselves in the form of a semi-transformed chipmunk Seulgi surrounded by several chipmunks awaiting her commands, her parents couldn’t be happier, never failing to tell her how proud of her they were and how excited they were for her future.

 

“You better start thinking on your superhero name Seulgi” Her dad had teasingly told her on her birthday number 9th

 

Seulgi had looked at him confusedly, head tilted to the side closely resembling a dog “What do you mean daddy?”

 

“Well my little bear, you are growing older and with your powers is only natural for you to eventually become one” He had chuckled ruffling her head, exchanging knowing looks with his wife.

 

“But what if I’m not good at it?” She had pouted, uncertainty taking place all over her face “I can’t control them, what if I can’t stop chasing my tail on a fight”

 

“Don’t be silly Seulbear, its okay if you can’t control them yet. You are still little and you have plenty of time to learn how to do it” Her mom hugged her and gave her a tender kiss on the crown of her head “Don’t listen to your dad, there’s no rush to do anything and its okay if you don’t want to become a superhero at all”

 

 

She had smiled in relief back then, thinking that eventually she would get the hang of them and actually be able to become a superhero. Fate had other plans for Seulgi it seemed when she continued to grow day after day and she watched with longing at how easily her parents seemed to be able to control their powers while she still had trouble refusing the urge to go and chase the mailman every morning.

 

As years went by, the dream of becoming a superhero grew farther and farther away until she convinced herself she wouldn’t be able to become one at all. No matter how much they tried to hide it, her parents were disappointed; she knew they were hoping she would fulfill their childhood dream of becoming one but how can they really expect her to be able to fight crime when she couldn’t stop grooming herself and chasing mice whenever she took after a cat or any other animal?

 

It wasn’t until Bae Joohyun, literature major and campus very own celebrity, approached her a lonely winter night at the dance studio back in her third year when she was practicing and asked her, quite bluntly, if she had powers that she started to regain hope on finally being able to control herself and her powers.

 

“Listen, I know this might seem weird but I was thinking we could help each other” Joohyun said; face stony doing her very best at hiding how nervous she actually was. Seulgi might have been fooled if she hadn’t noticed the way she twirled her thumbs over the other and kept on wiping her sweaty hands on her jean clad legs “I don’t really know how but I’m sure having someone other than yourself to study why your powers don’t act as they should might be way more beneficial than doing it by yourself”

 

Seulgi was surprised

 

 

Shooketh

 

 

Here, the campus princess was

 

 

Asking her help to control her powers

 

Her

 

The girl who once lost the biggest final in her career because she happened to fall and accidentally touch a slug on her way to the test and had to spend the whole afternoon trying to run there (that day Seulgi found a kindred spirit on the slug monster student in monster university)

 

Not long after she joined Joohyun and their little club started growing one by one until they were what they were now.

 

A family of crackheads.

 

To be honest they haven’t really improved much

 

But being surrounded by people who truly understood what it was to be an outcast with dysfunctional superpowers

Well

 

She wouldn’t change it for the world

 

And now that she can have her bestest best friend in the world join her little cracky family Seulgi couldn’t be happier.

 

Quickly coming back with something clutched in her hands Seulgi was once again back at the front of the lab for everyone to see her. Getting all the more excited to finally show her best friend what she has tried so hard to hide from her and dying for her to see at the same time.

 

“All right, Wendy, meet Mr. Argus” She presented, uncovering her hand to show a small black spider in her hands.


 

“She’s the one, she is the one that destroyed all my hard work in the stairs!” Seulgi heard the spider say angling it’s body forward to point at Wendy who was curiously glancing at the tiny creature in her hands.


 

“Aw Mr. Argus is mad that you took part of the web he made back at the stairs” Seulgi informed her pouting at her best friend.


 

“Uh I’m sorry?” She replied, still unsure if the spider would understand her and bewildered that she was attempting to speak to a spider in the first place.

 

“She says she’s sorry Argus” Seulgi gently smiled.


 

“She doesn’t look too sincere” If spiders could huff he would definitely be doing so right now. By the tone and slight yerk of his body upward Seulgi guessed just as much.


 

“She didn’t know Argus” She frowned when she heard him ‘mutter’ a ‘what’s hard to understand? Not destroying other’s properties is basic manners’


 

“Oh c’mon cut her some slack, she didn’t know it would upset you that much” Seulgi chided him.


 

“Uh it’s everything all right?” Wendy warily interrupted their banter.


 

“Argus is being petty and calling you names” She said, head tilted sideways to keep listening to the hissing spider “I’m not a snitch! I’m explaining the situation!”


 

“As much as I enjoy watching you and Argus argue. You should show Wendy your power before she gets even more confused” Rosé cut in, effectively stopping her from bickering more with the spider.

 

“Ah right” She smiled apologetically at Wendy before glancing back at Argus in her hands “Mr. Argus are you ready to show Wendy our awesome chemistry?”


 

“Do I have an option?”


 

“Yah!” Seulgi shook her head and finally closed her eyes for a moment.


 

When she finally opened them, her eyes were completely black, devoid of anything but darkness. Wendy watched with morbid fascination how right before her eyes, Seulgi started to have another set of eyes besides her normal two, smaller in size, but just as dark. Another thing that baffled her where how her best friends arms elongated and formed a sharp angle at the elbows as well as the apparition of tiny hairs on each of her fingers.


 

“Wow…” Wendy let out, startling the girl in front of her and to her shock Seulgi proceeded to run straight to the wall and go up there “Holy moly, Seulgi, you are like spider-man!”


 

She heard Jisoo snicker “Yeah but like a real spider-man. We are lucky this time her lower half didn’t change”


 

“Why is that?”


 

“Have you seen a spider real close? Those are scary” Yeri quipped shivering at the memory, hiding under the table “ Lucas the spider they ain’t cute!”


 

“Not to mention we were almost eaten” Lisa continued hiding slightly behind Rosé who was also hiding behind one of the desk, glancing between Seulgi up on the ceiling and the rest of the girls.


 

“E-Eaten?!” Wendy shrieked now looking at Seulgi in slight fright, laughing nervously “I’m sure Seulgi wouldn’t want to harm you or anyone right? I’ve seen her try to protect butterflies and even ants”


 

“Of course it wasn’t intentional” Joohyun agreed voice trembling “But you see when Seulgi uses her power-”


 

Before she could finish her sentence, she let out a shriek quickly followed by Jennie when Seulgi suddenly dropped and got particularly close to her, mouth open in a loud hiss.


 

Both Joy and Jisoo were quick to respond and in a flash they pulled Joohyun away from the hissing girl that quickly climbed up to the ceiling again.


 

“Uh Seulgi? That’s cool and everything but if you could go back to normal that would be highly appreciated” Wendy addressed the hanging girl who was quietly watching her, her head angled in such a strange way that gave her the creeps.


 

Before anyone could say or do something, Seulgi came down once again in a flash, although this time a thick string of web held her above the ground and in front of the now frozen in place girl. If that wasn’t weird enough just before she could say anything else, she saw Mr. Argus standing proudly on top of Seulgi’s head, wiggling his legs all around while the bigger girl nodded absentmindedly as if agreeing with whatever the spider was (apparently) saying.


 

“Seulgi?” Wendy hesitantly reached out with a hand to touch the still dangling girl, completely transfixed by the black eyes staring at her.


 

“She can’t hear you” Rosé said, making sure her voice was smooth enough as to not startled the spider-girl.


 

“At this moment and for the next few hours, she’s more spider than human” Joy answered the question written all over the smaller girl’s face.


 

“Why did it have to be a spider? A ing spider” Jennie cursed under her breath shaking from her spot besides the equally trembling Joohyun “She could have used an ant but nooo she had to use Argus”


 

“Seulgi...can you” Wendy swallowed “Can you hear me?”


 

Seulgi stared at the girl for a long minute, watching closely how the girl shifted uncomfortably from feet to feet, unconsciously biting her thumbnail. That act in specific caught the spider-girl’s attention, letting herself drop to the floor and crawl closer to the retreating girl.


 

It was weird, she couldn’t understand why she was doing that. The act itself seemed to accomplish nothing, there was no acid, no venom coating her thumb just plain wet saliva...so why? Why was she doing so? Was she eating something? A bug? Mmmm bug.


 

Seulgi shook her head and came on closer to the shivering small girl, almost nose to nose.


 

A sniff



 

Fear.


 

She could smell it on this girl but curious enough it wasn’t quite as strong as the fear coming from the other girls in the room.


 

“Seulgi” Wendy whispered, swallowing the lump in trying to remind herself that this was Seulgi, precious Seulgi, who wouldn’t ever hurt her. She just looked...different. Yes, that’s it. “Seulgi it’s me, Wendy”


 

Seulgi tilted her head to the side


 

“She’s your friend, the home-wrecker” She heard Mr. Argus say with an annoyed voice “You wanted to impress her”

 

Right!


 

Wendy!


 

Seulgi let out a big grin and started to rub herself against Wendy, causing the younger one to let out a soft, relieved laugh.


 

“Seulgi” She giggled “Stop it, it tickles”


 

The other girls could only stare in awe as the previous scary spider-girl started to act almost like a pup. Leave it to Seulgi to act like a cute, adorable animal even when she looked like she could kill and eat everyone in a matter of seconds.


 

“Well me now I feel offended” Jisoo said shaking her head side to side “I don’t remember her being all mushy and adorable with us last time she took on Mr. Argus traits”

 

“She tried to eat me last time” Yeri scoffed “If anyone should feel offended it’s me!”


 

A loud hiss made the youngest shut up instantly as Seulgi stood protectively in front of the smaller girl in the room. She crouched low in alert in case the loud girl at the other side of the room decided to do something.

 

“I have a feeling that Seulgi just doesn’t like you at all” Rosé giggled, receiving a glare from the other girl behind the table.

 

“Can’t blame her. She probably recognizes Yeri for what she truly is” Joy smirked at the fuming maknae before continuing “An ugly bug”

 

“Now you listen up you bi-” Yeri’s retort was interrupted by a loud shriek coming from the other room where they found a startled Wendy hugging Seulgi for dear life as the other girl brought them up to the ceiling.

 

For Seulgi she needed to protect her friend, her family, from the loud menacing girls below them. They reek of fear and anxiety, letting her know they might be ready to attack at any moment now.

 

“Holly molly you are strong” Wendy said fascinated by the ease in which her best friend held her with one arm while her other hand supported them both with grace on the ceiling.

 

Seulgi couldn’t really understand what she was saying but the wide smile in the other girl’s face let her know it was something good “Mr. Argus, do you know what she’s saying?” She asked the other spider in the room just to make sure that what the excited, happy rambling girl in her arms was saying was something good indeed.

 

“No idea but it must be something annoying I’m sure” He replied, walking through her arm, making sure to have as much distance from Wendy as possible.

 

“Hmm I’m sure you are just being grumpy as usual” Seulgi giggled (or at least that’s what she intended. To others she looked like she was spasming).

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter