ribeye

it's not butch love (I swear)

For the first time in her life, Jiwoo held her phone so tightly as if her life depended on it. And no, it wasn't like she was waiting for Sooyoung to text her or something (except she was). 

 

She keeps telling herself that it's no big deal if Sooyoung doesn't even save her contact number in her phone. She was a beautiful model living in a completely different world. They were practically worlds apart. She probably had better work to do. Since she was probably very popular, she could be enjoying her life to fullest right now at some party, forgetting about texting her local butcher, Kim Jiwoo. 

 

Pfft, no big deal. 

 

She'd like to believe herself though, if she wasn't so damn busy checking her phone every single second to receive a notification, a new text from supermodel Ha Sooyoung. Every sound her phone made, she fumbled with the device, thinking that finally, Sooyoung texted her, only to be dissapointed in the end when the screen showed an ad of some beauty product she wasn't interested in. 

 

Jiwoo flops onto her bed in room, back flat onto the mattress as she stares up at the ceiling. Maybe Sooyoung doesn't really think of her as anything more than just her typical butcher. Her phone dings again but her movements were slower this time, assuming that it was just another useless ad. Instead, she almost falls off the bed when she finds a text from an unknown contact number filling her screen. 

 

hasubong: hey it's me, Sooyoung. Is this Jiwoo? 

 

Jiwoo fiddles with her fingers as she types away on her keyboard of her phone, rechecking the text for any mistakes. 

 

jiwooming: yep! it's everyone's favourite local butcher, Kim Jiwoo, at your service ;) 

 

She pressed sent and hoped that the wink emoticon wasn't too flirty so Sooyoung wouldn't get weirded out. To her relief, she receives a response in minutes and chuckles to herself. 

 

hasubong: you're the only butcher in this area though  

 

Was Sooyoung always this stiff over the phone? She hardly expressed anything and lacked emoticons, so distinct from the one she always meets at the shop. Jiwoo gets the sudden urge to hear Sooyoung's voice and initiates to call the latter. She rings the dialler and is connected to the line within seconds. 

 

".... Hello?" Sooyoung says hesitantly, almost unsure of what else to say. Jiwoo's heart flips when she hears Sooyoung's soft voice. 

 

"Hi Sooyoung!" Jiwoo replies, not even hiding the eagerness in her tone. She hears a small gasp over the phone before it was cut off, and the sound of Sooyoung clearing was heard in her ears. Was she alright? 

 

"H-Hey. Umm... so why did you call?" Jiwoo also wonders to herself. "Nothing, just... wanted to hear beautiful your voice again." she honestly replies. There was no need to make up an excuse since she wanted Sooyoung to know how Jiwoo felt about her. The line turns to silent and she can't help but think if Sooyoung was uncomfortable with her flirty advances. She hears a soft whisper shortly after. 

 

"How are you so sweet Kim Jiwoo? I seriously think I might get cavities because of you."

 

Okay, this was not a drill. Ha Sooyoung did not reject her advances but rather, accepted it wholeheartedly while subconsciously asking for a firt-off challenge. Jiwoo's face was probably red till the neck right now and she thanks her lucky stars that Sooyoung wasn't present right now. Throughout the call, the both of them just exchanged playful flirts with each other, sometimes overstepping the boundary of 'friends', just a little. Neither any of them were planning on stopping at any time soon until Jiwoo hears a soft yawn over the phone. She almost melts on the spot.

 

"Tired?" Jiwoo playfully asks.

 

"Just a little," Sooyoung muffled her yawns again before it escaped her lips, "The photoshoot earlier went on longer than usual."

 

Jiwoo tries not to pay any mind to Sooyoung's sultry voice when she was tired and internally scolded herself for thinking it was hot. An idea of then suddenly forms in her genius mind.

 

"Would you like me to sing you to sleep then?"

 

"You can sing?" Sooyoung asks in surprise, sounding more awake than she's ever been before.

 

"I didn't earn my title as 'Chuuriah Carey' just for nothing!"

 

Jiwoo earns a hearty chuckle from Sooyoung. "I'd love to hear it."

 

Jiwoo does a small fist pump before taking a deep breath. Sooyoung was genuinely curious to hear how Jiwoo's singing voice would sound like and was completely swept off her feet in the next few seconds.

 

*

 

"I like my girls just like I like my honey,"

 

What the heck.

 

"Sweet, a little selfish."

 

Jiwoo was singing Kehlani's Honey. 

 

To Sooyoung

 

And it's not like, there was anything -  wrong with that but, she can't just do this to Sooyoung's poor, little gay heart. 

 

"I like my girls like I like my money,"

 

Sooyoung is literally trying not to squeal.

 

"Green, a little jealous."

 

Okay, she might have let out a small panicked gay shriek.

 

"All the pretty girls in the world, but I'm in this space with you,"

 

And , she sounds amazing as hell. Can, for once maybe, Jiwoo just stop taking away her ing breath and let Sooyoung breathe for once? She starts to indulge in Jiwoo's angelic voice and like the latter said, she was beginning to feel more sleepier.

 

"Colored out the lines I came to find, my fire was fate with you,"

 

Her voice was just... so mesmerizing. But she can't fall asleep yet. She wants to continue listening, continue talking with Jiwoo.

 

"Heartache would stay with you, fly great escapes with you."

 

Her eyelids were threatening to close and she so desperately wants to stay awake, wants to be with Jiwoo just a for little bit longer, wants to stay with her like this just for a little bit longer-

 

"Sooyoung? You still awake?" Jiwoo stops singing when she doesn't hear any response from Sooyoung any longer, only to be met with a small, soft snore. Jiwoo giggles to herself, not believing that the model actually fell asleep during the call without even ending it. 

 

"Goodnight and sweet dreams to you too, Ha Sooyoung."

 

*

 

Sooyoung frequently drops by the butcher's nowadays, giving the same excuse to Jiwoo-

 

"My mom asked me to run a quick errand for her, nothing more!"

 

In which Jiwoo always replies with an amused expression with disbelief filling her eyes and in a slightly sarcastic tone of-

 

"Yeah sure, I believe you."

 

Though, both of them knew it very well that they each had a huge, hopeless crush on each other. Too bad neither of them were brave enough to make the first move, and just kept standing along the lines of platonic friendship and romance. It was frustrating, yes, but it's way safer than potentially getting rejected right? 

 

Sooyoung spends all her free time just to strike up a conversation with Jiwoo at the butcher's and today wasn't an exception as well. They simply chatted about nothing in particular, usually about their own jobs and how exhausting it was, not to mention balancing with schoolwork at that. 

 

"I just finished my Bio paper today," Sooyoung sighs, her shoulders slumping as she sunk further down on the counter, "And I think it's safe to say that my name's already on the list of interventions next year."

 

Jiwoo pats Sooyoung on her shoulder, shaking her head dissaprovingly while tsking repeatedly. 

 

"Don't give up just like that Sooyoungie! It's too early too admit defeat."

 

Sooyoung blinks her eyes a couple of times, as if she was processing something in her mind.

 

"... S-Sooyoungie?"

 

The tip of Jiwoo's ears redden as she realises her mistake and wants to lock away herself in the wardrobe of Narnia without coming back forever.

 

"S-Sorry! That nickname just kinda spilled out all of a sudden-"

 

"No, don't apologise," Sooyoung's eyes was fixed on Jiwoo's shaken ones and she kept her held on Jiwoo's hand firmer.

 

"I like it. Call me that more often."

 

Both of them simply stood there, staring into each others's eyes and felt like they were the only ones in the world right now. It'd be nice if that moment would last a bit longer, if only-

 

"JIWOO! STOP FLIRTING WITH YOUR GIRLFRIEND ALREADY AND HELP ME OUT BACK HERE!" her mother's booming voice sliced through the deafening silence which made Sooyoung super startled, almost making her jump. But right now, the most important thing was Jiwoo's mom just labelled her as the latter's girlfriend.

 

She. Ha Sooyoung. As Jiwoo's girlfriend. If only that was true, then she would be the happiest girl alive.

 

"Ughh, she's not my girlfriend mom!" Jiwoo groans loudly, masking her embarassment of being called out during her shift at work. 

 

"...Yet," she mutters under her breath quietly to not let Sooyoung overhear but boy was she wrong. The model does not believe her ears, and stared wide-eyed at the butcher and received the same, if not, much redder and burning cheeks with her expression reading ' she heard that, didn't she?'

 

Jiwoo laughs it off in the end to avoid the situation and tackles another topic to distract Sooyoung from the fact that she was obviously in love with her as well.

 

"Guess I gotta get back to work!" Jiwoo forced a smile but glares at the back door where her mom was, "You wanna stay around and wait or..."

 

Sooyoung shakes her head after glancing at her watch. She had another photoshoot today and she couldn't afford to be late this time.

 

"I think I should probably get going as well. Got another photoshoot and I wouldn't want to distract your work here."

 

Jiwoo promises to call Sooyoung later at night after exchanging their farewells just before her mom would yank the butcher to the back. Sooyoung had never wished for nightfall to come any sooner than before during her photoshoot. The only dissappointing thing was- 

 

Jiwoo never called her that night. Sooyoung worries if something bad had happened to Jiwoo since the girl was always one who kept her promises with Sooyoung. She decides to send her a text message just in case Jiwoo forgot about it, or she was too busy to be occupied with her phone.

 

hasubong: hey Jiwoo ^^  Are you up for a call?

 

Her message remains unanswered in the end. Not even a blue tick appeared on the screen, meaning Jiwoo did not read it at all. Sooyoung tells herself that it's fine, the butcher was probably really busy or she might have fallen asleep already even though it was only 10 in the evening. Eventually, Sooyoung was kept up all night instead of sleeping, thinking of Kim Jiwoo's glistening teeth when her lips stretches into a wide smile as they parted ways earlier.

 

Well, it's not as if Sooyoung couldn't visit her tomorrow again at the butcher's after her early scheduled photoshoot. She might even bring a little something to give to Jiwoo (other than her whole heart).

 

*

 

"You look like you're in a hurry Sooyoung. Meeting anyone special?" her manager asks as the model ran to and fro in the changing rooms. The man would have thought that the girl was late in attending dinner with somebody important (she was going to see Jiwoo) by the looks of it.

 

"Oh... just... meeting up with a friend," Sooyoung tried to find her way with words since she was too busy changing back into her casual clothes and checking herself in the mirror for to see if her face was okay and ready to present herself to Jiwoo. Although she was mentally drained, the image of Jiwoo's blinding smile was more than enough to energise her whole body. Only one day has gone past by without any contact with Jiwoo, yet Sooyoung feels like it had been a month. Geez, was Sooyoung whipped or was she whipped? It's not her fault that Jiwoo was so addictive. She was so addicted to Jiwoo. 

 

As she ran out of the studio, she stops by the gift store to get something for Jiwoo, just because. A phone strap with little penguins printed on it caught Sooyoung's eye, right in the far corner of the shop. She purchased it in high hopes Jiwoo that would adore it and appreciate the gesture. She thinks of confessing her love for Jiwoo. She thinks to the times when she catches the butcher's not so subtle staring at the latter and would whip her head around, slight flush on her cheeks. Sooyoung never stopped thinking about Jiwoo just, blatantly staring at the model,  as if she was a star, shining brightly in the night sky. 

 

Okay. 

 

Sooyoung  finally makes her decision.

 

 She was going to confess to her local butcher that she was madly in love with her. And, even though she feared rejection, it'd be way worser to not try at all and see the butcher get swept away by another person. Sooyoung doesn't think she'll ever recover from such an agonising heartbreak.

 

Upon arriving, her face falls when she sees no smily face Jiwoo in her cute apron but instead, a boy probably no older than her standing behind the counter with a very pissed expression. His face made it clear that he absolutely despised being there. Sooyoung didn't have the slightest clue on assessing the situation. She just wants to see Jiwoo and be her girlfriend, and go on little dates with her, and kiss and cuddle with her, and make sweet love to her, and waking up besides her every morning, and spend all their moments together until they grow old and wow she really just did plan her whole future with Jiwoo already in her mind even though they haven't even hugged yet. 

 

Sooyoung decides it wouldn't hurt to ask the boy about Jiwoo so she struts up straight to the counter but his menacing glare was making it really hard for the model to even say a word. He clicked his tongue in annoyance and folded his arms.

 

"What d'ya want, hag?"

 

Okay-

 

Wow. 

 

How polite of this gentleman. Was he trying to pick a fight with Sooyoung? Because if he was, she can take this outside and go right now. Luckily, months of self-restraint has taught her to be more sensible to insolent jerks such like this one right in front of her. She kept on a forced smile while clenching her teeth.

 

"I don't know, a 'welcome customer!' would've been great but yeah. Hag sounds good as well."

 

The boy simply rolled his eyes and grumbled a few curses and how he wasn't being paid enough. In an instant, he stretched his cheeks into a wide, insincere smile.

 

"Welcome to Chuu's Meat Platter dear customer! How may I help you?"

 

"Where's Jiwoo?" Sooyoung cuts to the chase, getting real tired of his bull.

 

"Jiwoo noona?" he spat in disgust. Why did he seem to loathe her name so much?

 

"She took a day off today, which explains why you're stuck with me!" he spoke through gritted teeth, still forcing a smile. Sooyoung wanted to laugh since the boy seemed to be in pain just by smiling but she held back.

 

"Do you know where she might be perhaps?"

 

The boy shrugged his shoulders. "The hell would I know where she was now. And if you aren't buying anything, please leave."

 

Sooyoung would've liked to press him further questions enquiring Jiwoo since he obviously knew about her, probably had some bad history with her but his eyes was screaming for her to get her out of there already. She leaves the shop with a sullen expression, feeling dejected since she could not meet not confess to Jiwoo. The girl had not replied to any of Sooyoung's messages since yesterday and she can't help but feel uneasy, almost as if the butcher was trying to avoid her.

 

No, that can't be it. Sooyoung hasn't said or did anything wrong to Jiwoo, she thinks. They left on good terms with each other the last time in the shop-

 

So why did she take a day off?

 

Sooyoung decides not to think further, scared of the possibility of Jiwoo leaving her. She goes home with an empty feeling, already missing Jiwoo's cheerful voice dearly.

 

*

 

Sooyoung steps out of the shower, in the process of drying her damp hair when her phone suddenly dings. She immediately rushes to pick it up, only to feel crestfallen when it was just messages from Haseul and Jinsol in the group chat. She swipes the screen to read what they've sent.

 

jindollie: omg hasu!! u alrite buddy?

 

momseul: sooyoung, is everything ok? you haven't been talking with us for a while.

 

A small smile crept into Sooyoung's face as she realises she's been blessed with such wonderful friends who wanted to check up on her condition.

 

hasubong: i'm just fine guys, don't worry :) just a bit worried about stuff

 

jindollie: worried?? why??

 

momseul: can you tell us what you're hung up about?

 

Sooyoung bit her lower lip. She hasn't been updating with her friends lately about Jiwoo and they definitely deserve to know. She could probably get an advice or two.

 

hasubong: no it's just, i haven't been in contact with Jiwoo lately. i'm afraid she might be avoiding me :(

 

momseul: what? how long has this been going on?

 

hasubong: ... a day

 

jindollie: MY GOD SOOYOUNG U REALLY SULKING OVER A DAY OF NO CONTACT WITH A GURL??

 

hasubong: hey! she always replies to me straight away so it's weird not to receive anything from her okay??

 

jindollie: whipped

 

momseul: I think you might be overthinking this whole situation sooyoung. she might be really really busy, who knows?

 

Sooyoung sighs softly. Her friends were right. She was definitely overanalyzing everything and should probably be more optimistic.

 

hasubong: guess you guys are right. sorry for leaving out on all the details lately 

 

jindollie: YOU BETTER BE >:( 

 

momseul: ... what jinsol means was it's fine. i assume that you are already close with jiwoo, no?

 

hasubong: actually, i'm planning on confessing to her when we meet...

 

jindollie: CONFESS?? YUSS GET THAT HASU!!!

 

jindollie: ... i meant, wow that's great!

 

momseul: sorry about jinsol, she's just excited. but OMG i'm so happy for you sooyoung ^^

 

Although Sooyoung was still horrified by Jinsol's words of encouragement, she sincerely appreciates her friends support. It was almost midnight when she looks at the digits in the upper corner of her phone.

 

hasubong: thanks for ur support guys. i should probably get to bed now, busy day tomorrow 

 

momseul: goodnite and good luck then Sooyoung!! FIGHTING ^^

 

jindollie: GUD LUCK SOOYOUNG!! FIGHTING ^^

 

Sooyoung turns off her phone and finally drifts off to sleep, the image of Jiwoo's gentle eyes flashed through her mind just before she closed her eyes. She wasn't going to give up on such a wonderful girl like Jiwoo, just yet.