tenderloin

it's not butch love (I swear)

Sooyoung, for the first time in her life, found herself in a dilemma. She had a photoshoot in 30 minutes for her part-time job. Usually, she'd not hesitate to leave immediately since she liked the reasonable pay it offered. However, her mom offered her something far greater, for she was going to meet the love of her life once again (she was going to the butcher's). 

 

"Honey, are you sure you want to go to the butcher's instead of your job?" 

 

"It'll just be a jiffy," Sooyoung mumbles, a paper listed with meats needed was placed between her lips, "Have you seen my watch?"

 

Her mother points to the shelf behind her, which made Sooyoung turn instantly and snatched it from the place. She jogs to the entrance, slipping into her sneakers and opens the doorknob before hearing a faint shout as she closes the door.

 

"Get that cutie's number this time!"

 

Sooyoung faintly blushed but she didn't deny those words. She was dead set on getting Jiwoo's number so they can get to know each other better (romantically, perhaps if luck was on her side). But it would be just as great if they started off as friends. She learnt that it was never too good to rush into a relationship after all. 

 

Sooyoung found herself in front of the butcher's shortly after. The butterflies in her stomach were back and her hands was incredibly sweaty. It was nerve-wracking but she really wants to meet Jiwoo again. She takes a deep breath in to compose herself and finally pushes the door open.

 

"Welcome to Chuu's Meat Platter- Ah! Sooyoung!" Jiwoo squeals in delight and Sooyoung thinks her heart did some extreme somersaults in her chest. The girl was so cute, everything about her was cute.

 

"Hey," Sooyoung smiled warmly, her cheeks tinted with red, "We meet again." She gets a small giggle in return from the butcher and she falls in love again. Seriously, Jiwoo was so damn loveable. 

 

"I really missed seeing you ever since our last meeting!" Jiwoo took Sooyoung's hands into her warm, gentle ones.

 

Sooyoung was over the moon. It wasn't just her who dreaded the absence of each other during these past few days. As much as she wanted to continue chatting with the butcher, the watch on her wrist reminded her of work. She glances to the freezer, and back to Jiwoo's gaze.

 

"So, are you up for talking?" Jiwoo suddenly smirks (very) attractively, "Or cat got your tongue again?"

 

Ashamed, Sooyoung covered her red face with her hands and whined in response. "I was just d-drowsy that day!" Jiwoo complied with laughter, tilting her head backwards until Sooyoung's pout was wiped off her face and gradually joined in the laughter with the butcher with small giggles.

 

"I really want to stay longer but I have my part-time job in around 10 minutes..." Sooyoung trailed off, her eyes falling to the tenderloin on display. Jiwoo stopped smiling and a slight pout was replaced on her face.

 

"Ahh, I see. Almost forgot that you modelled." Jiwoo closes her eyes and recalls back to her conversation with Jungeun. Sooyoung suddenly froze. She never told Jiwoo about her job, did she?

 

"H-How'd you know about my job?"

 

Jiwoo flutters her eyes open and did not expect to see a panicked Sooyoung. Oops, was she not supposed to know?

 

"Uhh, a friend told me.."

 

"Oh."

 

Great. Sooyoung wanted her job to be kept secret from Jiwoo but it seemed word got around fast. Will this change anything between them now that she knows? Will Jiwoo start acting differently around her like the few people did to her in the past?

 

She hopes not.

 

"You really suit modelling though!" Jiwoo says aa little too cheerfully for her own good, "Since you're so stunningly beautiful!"

 

A blush crept into Sooyoung's ears and neck, as if her face wasn't already red enough, and her heartbeat gradually sped up. The compliment caught her way off guard.

 

"Y-You too!" Sooyoung starts stuttering, "B-Beautiful..."

 

Jiwoo's face was slightly flushed but she still managed to converse properly.

 

"Glad to hear that from an actual model!" 

 

She walked to the back of the store and came out with a pair of  gloves on her hands. "Which meat will it be today, dear customer?"

 

Sooyoung snapped herself to reality after admiring the sight of Jiwoo in her apron and cute uniform. Her eyes scanned through the range of high-quality meats and found the one her mother wanted.

 

"I'd like the tenderloin today please."

 

Jiwoo gets to work, leaving Sooyoung to count the amount of minutes she had before her photoshoot started.

 

Whatever. Time with Jiwoo was better than her job. Cute, beautiful, wonderful Jiwoo. 'But probably not gay' Sooyoung grimly thinks to herself. 

 

Jiwoo wraps everything up neatly and types in the price on the cashier. Sooyoung's eyes without realisation, strayed towards Jiwoo's small hands and suddenly, she drops her jaw.

 

Her nails were perfectly trimmed.

 

Sooyoung tries not to panic, she shouldn't think too much about it. It was completely normal to have short nails, it didn't mean she was actually a lesbian! Her job as a butcher might be really demanding and her long nails got in the way or something!

 

Yep! That was probably the case! Sooyoung could not afford to let her hopes up high, only to let it be crushed in the future. Her eyes lingered on Jiwoo's short, manicured nails far too long until she hears the latter clear .

 

"Um, Earth to Sooyoung?"

 

"W-Wha- I wasn't l-looking at your nails!" She blurts out and felt like punching herself in the gut for blatantly staring at Jiwoo's nails.

 

"... Sure?" Jiwoo replies with a confused tone, not really paying mind to it and gave the bag of meat to Sooyoung over the counter.

 

"Oh, uh- thanks..." Sooyoung grabs the bag and passes the exact amount of cash to Jiwoo in return. She really needed to get a grip on herself sometimes, especially in front of Jiwoo, her stupid crush. When her watch beeps, she is hit with the realisation that she was late for her photoshoot. She was probably (definitely) going to get an earful from her manager for not arriving on time but whatever. When she waves a a quick goodbye to the butcher, she feels her wrist gripped in a tight hold.

 

"Wait!"

 

She turns back to see Jiwoo holding a marker and leaning into the counter so she could write something on Sooyoung's arm. Sooyoung was too out of it to even process the situation until Jiwoo steps back, a shy smile tugging at her lips. She brought her arm to her eyes to get a better look and her heart almost jumps out of her chest when a string of black digits was present on it.

 

"Text me?" 

 

Sooyoung nods, still in a trance because she actually got Jiwoo's number. Her mother was going to be so proud of her. Jiwoo's cheeks had a pretty shade of pink and Sooyoung held back everything she had in herself from placing her lips on the fluffy looking cheeks of the cute butcher. Okay, fine. She admits that she was absolutely whipped for her local butcher.

 

"Good!" Jiwoo grins widely and Sooyoung feels attacked, "Now, you should probably get along to your job." 

 

Sooyoung mouths a second goodbye over her shoulder and dashes out of the shop, not even bothering to check her phone to see if her workplace had called her. She could make a thousand of excuses and could offer another photoshoot instead to make it up to her manager. Sooyoung starts to run and laughs in joy, gaining a bunch of stares from a few passerbys. She could receive all the fame and money she could get and it still wouldn't be enough to amount to Jiwoo's dazzling smile, her cute puppy eyes, her soft and fluffy cheeks, her loud yet sweet voice that was purely music to her ears.

 

Jiwoo, Jiwoo, Jiwoo

 

Everything about Jiwoo, Sooyoung absolutely adored it. She's fallen hard for Jiwoo and she can't even think about how it'd be like to spend time together more often, becoming something more than friends. Was it possible to be more overjoyed than she was already?

 

It wasn't even a stupid little crush anymore at this point. Sooyoung was deeply infatuated with the butcher, and she can't get enough of this thrilling feeling.