7 days until Tadashi dies

Tadashi Hamada Is Mine

  “Good job, little dude!” Fred congratulated, slapping me on the back as he stared at my genius new invention. In front of us stood garbage bins filled with little black nubs I dubbed 'microbots'. Day after day after day I worked myself to the bone on these bad boys, and finally, finally, I was done.

  “These are amazing, Hiro!” Honey said as she peered into one of the bins, her golden hair pouring over her shoulder as she leaned over it to get a better look.

  “You did good kid.” Gogo said plainly, back against the wall of my garage, popping her ever-present gum.

   “I can't wait to see you present this! You're gonna get in for sure!” Wasabi assured, walking from the back of my work space up to me, peeking into the garbage bins as he passed the others.

“Ah, thanks, you guys,” I smiled awkwardly. I'm not used to getting so much praise. It felt weird. It was nice. But weird.

“Ok, see you later..” Tadashi's soft murmur catches my attention from inside the garage. I turn towards the driveway just in time to see Tadashi and Tyrone Nial peck each other on the lips. Something in my stomach drops, I can feel it physically making me sick.

   Tyrone Nial left on his motorcycle and everyone except me and Gogo made a loud “aaww!”. My face unintentionally scrunched up in repulsion while Gogo rolled her eyes yet let a small smile spread out on her face.

   “You guys are so cute!” Honey teased with a grin as Tadashi walked up to me.

   “You two are too perfect to be real. If you two were to fuse together, you'd be the ultimate nice guy.” Fred said from where he stood next to Honey. Tadashi's smile formed into a grin and his eyebrows furrowed making him look sheepish.

   “How would that even work?” Tadashi laughed.

  “Like Wyvern Circle Z- you'd just touch thumbs and-” Fred touched his thumbs together and mimed an explosion. “Boom! Minashi Tadarone.”

  “What?” He laughed incredulously, the rest of the team joining in. I found myself chuckling along with them.

  “His nicknames have evolved.” Gogo smirked.

  “They're too powerful!” Wasabi said in fake horror.

  “I don't know what any of you are talking about. That was awful.” I added and smirked when another round of laughter was let out from the group.

  “Anyway,” Tadashi sighed, grin still on his face. “We need to do something to commemorate the completion of Hiro's project.”

   “There's no need to celebrate until the day of the ceremony,” I put in, crossing my arms and giving them a cocky smirk. “But.. If anyone wants to buy me some pizza, then that would be plenty appreciated.”

   “Yes! I love free pizza!” Fred exclaimed, lifting his fist into the air.

  “Who said I was sharing?” I smirked.  

   Tadashi laughed and ruffled my hair. “Alright, alright. I'm not gonna waste my day off NOT celebrating.” He put his arm around my shoulders. “To the arcade! It's on me.”

   “Whoo!” We started to walk out of the garage.

   “Now that's what I'm talking about!” Fred fist pumped the air.

   “Not you, idiot.” Gogo said, voice as bland as ever.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Why did Mn have to leave?” Wasabi asked as we got farther out into the streets of San Fransokyo. He glanced at us through the rear view mirror as he drove.

  I resisted the urge to scowl at the mention of him.

“He had a interview. Said it wouldn't take long,” Tadashi explained from the passenger seat. “He might meet us at the arcade when we're done.”

  “How long will this one take? We might be gone by the time he gets there, seeing as how far most of his interviews are.” Go go asked.

  “Two hours at the most.”

  The group groaned.

  Why were they so obsessed with that guy? Today's about me, isn't it? Why do they keep mentioning him? Honestly, I hope that interview lasts more than two hours so I don't have to see his face again today.

  “Hiro, what's wrong?” I looked up at Honey, sitting beside me, gazing back at me with worry in her big green eyes. I didn't really know much about her, beside her love for Chemistry and pink high heels. She was a very excitable person. She carried a glow around her everywhere she went that just made everyone's spirits rise.

  I was tempted to actually tell her.

  “He just has a crush on my boyfriend.” Tadashi reached back his arm to ruffle my hair and I covered my mouth to stop myself from barfing. “So much so that even hearing his name makes him love sick-”

  “Ew- can you just shut up?” I didn't mean to scream but it was so disgusting, the very thought made my stomach hurt. “How can you even joke about that?”

   “If you didn't act like such a spoiled brat then I wouldn't have to.” Tadashi retorted with a playful smile on his face but I made sure he got a look at the pure disapproval on my face. He pretended that he didn't see it.

   “Why do you sound so defensive? Could it be? Our little Hiro likes brunets?” Fred joked.

   “Ugh, what? How would you even get that idea?”

  “Sounds like what someone with a crush would say.”

  “I don't know, Hiro, I think Tadashi's got you pretty beat!” Wasabi laughed. The group laughed as I scoffed.

  “Is everyone out to get me? I thought this was my present for going through with the project?”

  “Well, actually, you haven't gotten "through with" it until you get up on stage and speak but…” Wasabi just loved to be technical didn't he?

  It's become a habit for me to roll my eyes in front of them. So instead of encouraging them, I turned my head to the window and watched the scenery pass by. The people on the streets and the large buildings of San Fransokyo coming and going in the blink of an eye.

  Everybody had their own lives, their own things to do, places to go..

  They all had accomplished something or were working towards it. There was no way to know how any of those people were going to affect our lives in the future, how many people on the street we will actually get to know one day. Who will get to know me one day? Use my invention?

  I sigh deeply but quietly, glancing around to see if anyone heard it.

  What if it doesn't work? What if..gosh, what if I go on stage and just wreck the whole thing up? What if I look stupid and my invention looks stupid and I don't get in to this school, the one thing I've actually tried hard for?

  I sigh again and rub my eyes with the heels of my palms. No, no, this isn't what I should be thinking right now. I'm doing fine, I'm going to do fine. Worry about it later. For now, we are going to the arcade. And I'm gonna friggin enjoy my night out.

  The car slowed to a stop.

  “We're here!” Wasabi called out.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

   Fact: Gogo, no matter how good at video games she is, was no match for me, and surprisingly has some rage at her losses.

   Fact: Fred, despite being a huge geek, mostly stands around watching the others play video games instead of himself, something about he could play it later for free (whatever that means).

   Fact: Wasabi gets very anxious playing arcade games, yet somehow gets a high score in most of them.

   Fact: Tyrone Nial did indeed come here after his interview.

  It had been two hours already? Three? Well, it was hard to keep up, I mean there are a lot of games and a lot of people and I had to at least get a go at beating everyone here since Tadashi is paying. And I have almost beat everyone here.

  Tadashi was leaning against the wall somewhere with Tyrone Nial over near the pinball machine- oh my gosh now they're kissing, time to go.

   I turn around and speed walk to the other side of the room so that all the machines cover my view of the two. On the far wall, I see Fred leaning against it and drinking a canned soda. I walk over to him.

  “‘Sup little dude?”

  “The bane of my existence is back and flirting with my brother,” Shoot, did I say that aloud? “You?”

  He gave me a peculiar stare. “Who?”

  I sighed deeply and rubbed my hands down my face.

  “You know, Hiro,” he started. “Arcades are really amazing. They are built for the sole purpose of having fun! So that's what we should do- have fun!” He rose his hands to motion to the place, eyes and grin filled with a happiness that seems to know no pain. He was trying to help me out, I knew it, but it just..it didn't feel right .

  I couldn't look at him anymore and settled my gaze to the ground.

  “...Why couldn't he have just told me?” I mumble, but I'm sure he heard me because it got strangely quiet, still, and I couldn't look up. I wanted to add on but I couldn't.. What else could I say?

  “Hiro....” Oh and did Fred's voice sound pitiful and out of character. ”..adults make mistakes. We make choices we think are best for others without asking how they feel because we think we know best. Tadashi might be "perfect", but he makes mistakes. I honestly can't explain it to you, dude-” Fred's voice went back to its usual tone. “but Tadashi is always thinking of you, and he cares a lot about how you think of him. Besides your Aunt, you're the only one he has left. And he cherishes you. I think...maybe he just wanted you to..” He paused to gather his thoughts,”-get to know Mn in a way that didn't threaten the bond you two already set in place.”

  That was...surprisingly mature of him..

  Maybe I should calm it down, just a little bit? Maybe Mn isn't all that bad of a guy? Maybe...maybe I'm just being petty and pathetic...

  “Thanks, Fred,” I really meant it. I met his eyes and smiled, and a bit of that old warmth returned to his own orbs.

  “No prob bro, now let's go play some video games!” He placed his arm around my shoulder and lead me into the mass of games.

  Fact: Fred is really, really good at video games.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

  “Ok but imagine this: wolf-dragon hybrids!”

  “What?”

  “It would be a wolf, but a dragon! Like a griffin, but it's,” Fred made a motion with his hands, as if spreading paper over a wall. “a "wagon"...wait.”

  “Buahahaha! A what..?!”

  We were sitting outside the park on the stairs. It wasn't crowded now since it's already almost dark.  The sky turns from peach orange to a sky blue sinking into a navy blue. There was probably a sunset somewhere but the buildings in front of us denied us the view to see it.

  It was a Friday night though, and there were still people out and about: teenagers walking around in party clothes, elderly sitting on the benches in the park just watching time slip by, women and children finding their way home, different stuff.

   It's around 7:30ish. We spent, like, four hours at the arcade, then went to get something to eat at the WcDonalds opposite the park, and after an hour we decided we weren't ready to go home just yet, we were enjoying each other's company too much.

   And honestly..it was nice. Even though I can't help thinking of these people as Tadashi's friends instead of mine, they are starting to feel a little more like family. Well, not family, but...how to say it? A close friend of the family you've known since you were a kid, so you just end up calling them your cousins, kinda thing. I know for a fact that even though they all spend their time at school, they don't usually have a chance to go out and hang out like this all together, and I can tell they appreciate it. They don't do these kind of things often..and it's nice.

  Really nice.

  “Mn, what would you name it?”

  “Huh?” Out of curiosity, I raised my head, realizing  hadn't been paying attention to the conversation anymore.

 “The wolf dragon, what would you name it?” Fred asked, as if the question was seriously something he needed to know and his life depended on the answer.

  “Uhh, like..I don't know? A Smith?”

  “What?” Fred's voice fell flat.

  “Like, Griffin is a common last name, and so is Smith so..like..yeah..?”

  There was a moment of silence for his stupidity.

  “Nah, yeah, that sounds reasonable." Gogo nodded her head.

  “Yeah, good job, dude.” Fred said at the same time.

  “That was really good.” Honey nodded and Wasabi hummed in agreement.

  What? Really?

  “Well, now we know who should make up the nicknames if I'm ever gone!” Fred nudged Gogo's thigh and smirked goofily.

  “What? No, that was horrible.” I said aloud, but instead of taking it as an insult they all laughed.

  Tyrone Nial and Tadashi were sitting against the rail holding hands, Tyrone Nial on the step under him. Honey lemon sat a few steps up(the steps are kinda small) from Tadashi and beside her one step down was Go go, Wasabi sat next to her, and two steps down between them sat Fred. I sat under GoGo and one step down beside Fred. So yeah, we are kinda all over the place. But the stairs are spacious and we aren't really blocking anyones entrance or exit so I think we're fine. It's a park so loitering isn't a problem.

  “Haha, yeah no, I think you should keep making the nicknames. I could never replace you Michelangelo.” Tyrone Nial grinned.

  I didn't get the joke but Fred started laughing really loud and his laugh is so great and obnoxious that I couldn't help but chuckle too.

  “Yeah, well, seeing as he made your nickname, Mn, I think he could take a little break. Next one’s Hiro!” Gogo rose an eyebrow and a smug look was pointed directly at me.

  I shudder.

  “He already has a nickname. His name’s Hiro!” Fred laughed. “And hey! Mn is a good nickname!"

  “Says you.”

  “Says me-!” He paused, “Says Mn!”

  The brunet shrugged carelessly, eyes wide and eyebrows arched but lips in a thin line.

  “Hold up,” I realize something and they turn to me. “You named him that?”

  Fred looked a little shocked at my question. “Yeah..?” He said it with a obvious tone.

  “Why..?” I dragged, mimicking him.

  Fred grinned and began to get comfortable on his step, turning his body towards me as everyone groaned.

  “Oh no.” I heard Honey say blatantly.

  “What have I done?” I ask myself aloud, jokingly.

  “So Mn here,” he reached out his arm and patted Tyrone Nial on the shoulder. “has many names. He's from Scandinavia and when he came to America when he was a wee lad his mother changed his name to what you know him as now: Tyrone Nial Evans!" Fred spread his arms wide for some dramatic affect and a awkward lopsided grin appeared on Tyrone Nial’s face along with one raised eyebrow and a furrowed one. Honey giggled to herself and Gogo rolled her eyes.

  “Only I know what his original name was- and no, I'm not gonna tell you,” I didn't ask- “We've been friends for a long time, he and I,” Oh he's gonna drag this out isn't he..? “And one thing we never settled on was a permanent name for this child. Tyrone, Nial, baby face-”

  “Hey!”

  “But! One mysterious day..” He lowered his voice for affect. “the group was hanging out, playing around, having fun, when we started reading fan fiction.

  “Oh no.” I deadpanned. “You know what, I'm ok, nevermind-”

 “No, dude, it wasn't anything bad, it was just some regular old x reader type thing.” He assured, which didn't really make it anymore assuring. “And because Mn's voice is oh so wonderful and beautiful, and because he said he'd never read fanfiction before, we-”

  “You.”The group corrected, including Tadashi.

  “We,” Fred said again. “had him read one. And it. Was. Hilarious!” He burst out laughing at I guess was the memory of it and the group started to chuckle with him. “So, look, it was his first fan fiction and usually you replace X Readers with names, like ad libs, you know? And so when it says h slash c, that means hair color, or when it says e slash c, that means eye color. So Mn-” and he started chuckling again. “Mn-” he tried again and giggled some more, and it wasn't annoying as much as it was funny, in its own way. “He was trying so hard, and when it says M slash N for Male Name, he kept saying min, instead. And I swear it was funnier than it sounds, it was the best!”

  “It honestly wasn't that funny.” Tyrone Nial put in but Fred ignored him.

  “It was great,” Fred wiped a tear. “Ahh...we have fun..” There was a moment of dead silence. “....So in remembrance of that amazing day, I nicknamed him Mn, and that's where he got his name from.”

  “That was so unnecessarily long and painful.” I made sure to say loud and clear.

  And so I learned never to question anything again.