Who are you?

Flower Shower

Somehow, Jung Yerin was at the Academy.

            Of course, Yerin loved the place and considered it as her home—being where she spent the most part of her day—but at that exact moment, the only thing she wanted was to be in the hospital, next to Eunbi, taking care of her, or even just standing outside her door—anything really. Yerin just wanted to be close to Eunbi.

            However, after the younger dancer’s parents arrived the prior night, the two girls were urged out of the facility and ordered to come only on visit hours. For some God forsaken reason, they didn’t think their presence would help in anything. s, Yerin bitterly thought as she headed to the cafeteria. I should’ve stayed there.

            Yerin was instructed to leave all her contact information so that they could update her in anything, but so far, the only text she got was from her mother asking her to not come home late and that was simply driving her crazy. I should’ve gotten her parents’ number; maybe they would talk to me more… Yerin knew had talked briefly to Eunbi’s parents, but they seemed good people just like Yewon had said; Yerin felt like she could talk to them if she needed to… which was a different feeling that her own family gave.

            At the thought of her relatives, the dancer wondered if they had become kind of insensitive towards hanahaki as her brother had gone through the surgery years before, but she couldn’t be sure. Maybe the indifference they displayed was normal and she was the one feeling too emotional; who knows?

            Her eyes searched for Yewon as soon as she entered the noisy room, but the girl was nowhere to be seen. Yerin knew she had come because they talked in the morning, but right now she didn’t seem to be around.

            Maybe she wants to be alone, she pondered.

            Yerin didn’t want to be alone, though. She hated it.

            The dancer thought about approaching her classmates, but she wouldn’t be able to keep a facade for them, not today; Yerin would surely end up showing she was upset and they weren’t the people to be talking about serious matters. There was also the fact that most of them knew about the things Eunbi did in the past. Don’t get her wrong, Yerin meant it when she said she didn’t care about the rumors. But she couldn’t lie to herself and say that she wasn’t curious about it.

            When Eunbi told her, she had punched a guy because she was ‘emotional’, Yerin just laughed it off. After all, the younger girl never seemed like the impulsive type and she had never seen or heard of her getting into physical fights.

            But now, she wondered what truly happened. Yerin didn’t want to ask around, though. I guess I’ll wait until she’s well to tell me, Yerin sat down, grabbing her cell phone. No texts, she let out a small groan and folded her arms on top of the table, resting her forehead on them. I’m worried.

            Yerin took a deep breath. The dancer had an audition coming and she had practiced it a lot, but, with her head set on Eunbi, she couldn’t even remember the basic steps. Yerin knew she had to set her mind straight, but, , how hard was that?

            “Excuse me?”

            Before she could keep dwelling on her life, a male voice interrupted her train of thoughts and, holding back her frown, Yerin raised her head to look at the person.

            Standing next to the table was a tall guy. He looked pretty normal wearing casual clothes and holding a backpack on his right hand. The way he smiled set off something inside her head, though.

            “Are you Jung Yerin-ssi?”

            The dancer tilted her head and carefully nodded. “And who are you?”

            His smirk widened. “I’m Kim Wooyoung. Nice to meet you, sunbae.”

            “Kim Wooyoung?” she raised her eyebrows and the man nodded. “I’m your sunbae? I never saw you around before.”

            “Ah, that’s because I transferred classes last year,” he said, “I’m coming back, though, and I thought it would be nice to greet the sunbae everyone talks about.”

            Yerin couldn’t deny that he had a charming voice tone, but, for some unexplainable reason, she couldn’t help but feel slightly annoyed about it. “Oh, that’s good,” she put on a polite smile, “I’m glad you thought like that.”

            “Yes,” he agreed. “I’ve heard wonders about your dance and personality, so I’m happy I finally get to talk to you.”

            Her brow slightly furrowed. That guy was odd. “Um, thanks I guess. I just do my best.”

            “Of course! Ah, and if you don’t mind me asking, sunbae, have you seen Hwang Eunbi around today?”

            The mention of her name made all the act she was trying to put for the sake of politeness fall. Yerin frowned and watched the guy’s cheery expression turn into something similar to confusion; she couldn’t tell if it was real or fake.

            “I’m just asking because I have something to talk to her,” he chuckled. “I saw you walking together recently, so I decided to ask you since I was already at it… I get that you haven’t then?”

            “No, I haven’t,” her voice came out way colder than she had planned.

            “Really? That’s a shame. I mean, I used to hang out with Eunbi a lot, but things happened, and I really wanted to talk to her.”

            Yerin couldn’t point it out, but something about the way he was talking made her stomach turn. “Things happened?”

            “Yeah,” he chuckled again and scratched the back of his neck. “Eunbi did somethings and we kind of drifted apart? But I miss talking to her and everything, so I’m trying to get close to her again.”

            Huh, Yerin had interacted with this guy for less than ten minutes and she already felt sick. She hated him. “So, you’re saying that you want to get close to her again?”

            “Yes, that’s exactly it,” he nodded vigorously and Yerin had to hold herself back from physically cringing. “We were such good friends and I… I think that maybe you could help with that?”

            Yerin was this close to scoffing. The dancer bit the inner flesh of her cheek. “Ah, but, maybe, you should talk to Kim Yewon? She’s really good friends with Eunbi-ssi,” Yerin said, knowing that Yewon would surely know this guy if he was such good friends with Eunbi. And she realized it was a good idea by the way his expression hardened subtly. Alright, that’s all I need to officially hate you. After all, nobody with good intentions would act like that.

            “I, um, should try that, of course!” he exclaimed, recovering his bright smile in a fraction of a second. “In any case, could I have your number, sunbae? Just in case I...”

            “You want my number?” Yerin asked, quirking an eyebrow. He must’ve felt the shift in her voice tone as his smile faltered. “I’m sorry, but what’s your name again?”

            “Ah, it’s Kim Wooyoung…”

            “Right, Kim Wooyoung-ssi, here’s the thing. I don’t know what your deal is, and I don’t really care,” Yerin stood up, chair scraping on the ground. “I know a fake act when I see one and yours is pissing me off. So, don’t come to me asking about Eunbi with that little, fake smile.”

            His face scrunched up in a baffled grimace, but Yerin couldn’t care less.

            “Excuse me, sunbae, but I don’t know what Eunbi told you—”

            “She didn’t tell me anything,” her voice cut him off. “But I don’t really need to hear it. I can judge people perfectly well on my own.”

            The dancer clenched her fingers around her cell phone and, paying no mind to the few students watching them, she measured the guy in front of her with her eyes. “And I don’t need much to see you’re an .”

            Kim Wooyoung opened his mouth to say something else, but before he could vocalize anything, a short girl put herself between the two of them. Yerin’s eyes widened a little, surprised by the sudden interference, but she soon recognized Yewon.

            “Oh, look who we have here,” she had her back turned to the dancer. but Yerin could feel the contempt on her voice. “I thought you didn’t want to even look at Eunbi anymore, Kim Wooyoung. Oh! Is your nose alright, by the way?”

            The mention of a nose made Yerin connect the points. That being said, the disgust inside her only grew stronger as she linked the guy in front of them to the one Eunbi had punched in the past.

            “It’s none of your business, Kim Yewon,” he said through his teeth and the younger girl scoffed.

            “See, everyone might believe you and your victim act, but I know the truth. And you better stay away from Eunbi and Yerin-sunbae or else I’m taking this matter into my own hands.”

            It was clear that he wanted to retort, but the guy stopped and looked around. They had the attention of a good part of the cafeteria and, probably thinking about the gossips, he just put on another fake smile and laughed.

            “Why are you so serious, Yewon-ssi? Don’t worry. If you want me to leave you alone, then no problem,” he raised both of his hands in fake defeat. “Have a nice day, sunbae,” he said and finally turned away.

            It was like a heavy weight was lifted from Yerin’s chest. The dancer let out a long sigh and pinched the bridge of her nose with her fingers; she could feel a headache coming and it was still lunchtime.

            “Sunbae?”

            Yerin turned to Yewon and at the sight of the other’s concerned expression, she smiled. “I’m alright, Yewon-ssi. No need to worry about me.”

            The singer hesitantly nodded. “I got caught up with my training and totally lost notion of the time. I hope he didn’t bother you too much, Yerin-ssi.”

            “Nah, it’s alright, seriously,” Yerin patted the younger’s shoulder. “Don’t be such a worrywart. This will give you wrinkles.”

            Letting out a short chuckle, Yewon nodded. “Thank, sunbae.”

            The dancer hummed and pursed her lips out. “You should call me ‘eonni’, by the way.”

            Yewon’s dark eyes widened cutely; it took the girl a short moment to relax and smile. “Alright, then. We should hurry up, eonni. Lunchtime will end soon.”

            “You’re right,” she sighed. “I still have so much to practice.”

            “Yeah…” Yewon gnawed on her lower lip. “Also… you’ll go see Eunbi later, won’t you?”

            “Of course,” she promptly answered. “As soon as practice ends, I’ll head to the hospital.”

            “That’s good, then,” Yewon smiled a little. “That’s good.”

            Yerin hummed and followed the singer to go get her food.

            Things were already bad enough for some to come and in their business. No matter what happened, she would make sure to keep that guy at his place.

            Yerin wouldn’t let anyone bother Eunbi now.

 

 

 

            “So, doctor Ho, can we see her?”

            Yerin, who had been quietly observing the interaction between the doctor and Eunbi’s parents for a while now, looked at Eunbi’s mother. The woman had very soft features, but her was voice was as cold as ice; the father looked lost and hadn’t spoken yet. Both seemed like they were drowning in pain.

            The dancer could only imagine how the couple was feeling.

            “It’s better to let her rest a little more,” the doctor said, “but I can say that she’s stabilized.”

            They had arrived at the hospital at the same time. Yerin introduced herself to Eunbi’s parents and they were polite enough to greet her, but she could feel how heavy the atmosphere was. Thankfully, Yewon had been beside her through it all, so she didn’t feel like absolute trash.

            “And... you still don’t know what’s wrong?” the singer asked quietly.

            Doctor Ho heaved a sigh. “The specialist said that it’s not something common and therefore he still needs to look into the case a little more before saying anything. But we managed to contain the flowers from spreading into her bronchioles and, like I said, she’s stable now.”

            “Can’t you…” Eunbi’s father was practically whispering, “can’t you just take them off?”

            The doctor spared Yerin a quick look before answering him. “That’d be… complicated, sir. Your daughter’s lungs are severely compromised and it’s dangerous to try something as intrusive as a surgery since we aren’t sure of the causes and consequences. We’re doing everything we can to keep her airways clean enough for the oxygen to reach her cells, right now, so, please, just wait a little longer.”

            Yerin casted her eyes down.

            Of course, she didn’t want Eunbi’s feelings to be wiped out, but if that was the only way for her to be healthy again, then she definitely wouldn’t object. She hated that fact, but, to know now that even the worst solution wasn’t an option anymore… it made her feel restless.

            “Thank you, doctor,” Yewon bowed and Yerin automatically mimicked her gesture. “Please, take care of Eunbi.”

            “We will,” she gave them a small smile. “Sir, ma’am, I ask for you to stay around, just in case we need authorization for any impromptu action.”

            “Of course,” the mother vigorously nodded as if she didn’t even need to ask that.

            “Ah,” doctor Ho turned to Yerin and the dancer felt her stomach turn. “I’d like for you to come with me, Jung Yerin-ssi. I want to ask you a few questions.”

            “Uh, me?” she exchanged a look with Yewon, who seemed just as surprised, and cleaned . “Yeah, of course.”

            The doctor turned around and she followed her down one of the many white, empty halls. They entered a small office and the dancer sat down when doctor Ho politely indicated the chair in front of her desk. Yerin waited silently as the woman sat down and opened her laptop.

            “So, your full name is Jung Yerin?”

            “Yes, that’s, um, that’s about right.”

            Doctor Ho chuckled lightly. “You don’t need to be that nervous, Yerin-ssi. You’re not in some kind of trouble.”

            “It’s not that, I’m just… sorry,” the dancer let her shoulders drop. “I’m just… worried.”

            The woman hummed. “I imagine. This situation is hard on all of us and I don’t wish to make this longer than it has to be, so should we go straight to the point?”

            Yerin’s eyes widened a little, but she nodded anyway. “Uh, sure.”

            Doctor Ho quirked an eyebrow. “Do you really nourish feelings for Eunbi-ssi?”

            Yerin held back a scowl. “Yeah,” why were they doubting her so much? “I can’t say I have loved Eunbi as she has before, because, as you can see, I didn’t develop hanahaki, but I do like her. And I accept her feelings.”

            “I see,” the doctor typed something, paying no mind to the bite on Yerin’s tone. “You never had hanahaki, then? What about your family?”

            Sinking a little on the uncomfortable chair, Yerin hummed. “I never had, but my brother had a few years ago. He had the surgery though. My parents… I don’t think neither of them had.”

            “Your brother had… how did it progress?”

            “Uh, it went normally, I guess? The girl didn’t like him back and that was it,” Yerin tilted her head to her right. “I mean, everything went well after he got the surgery. But, sorry, why does that matter?”

            “Our specialist commented something about a new hormone found in our bodies,” doctor Ho exhaled, “it apparently can induce changes in our bodies. Not everyone has it, but since we don’t know much about it, we are suspecting everything.”

            “So… you think I have that new hormone or something?”

            Doctor Ho looked at her. “Not you, but Eunbi-ssi. We are not sure though, there aren’t any studies on how this hormone affects hanahaki yet. I need to have a proper talk with our medical crew and with her parents first before I can say anything else.”

            The dancer let out a short sigh. “Will she be okay, though?”

            The pregnant pause that followed made her want to disappear.

            Yerin cleared before the doctor could say anything. “Any, uh, any other questions, doctor?”

            “Well, um, I guess that’s it for now,” she answered, eyes back to the laptop’s screen. “It’d be good if you stayed around too, Yerin-ssi. And, please, tell a nurse if you feel anything different.”

            “Yeah, I will,” the dancer bowed in respect and left the office without a word.

            She closed the door and walked towards the waiting room with her head hanging low.  Yerin had never felt that hopeless before and the only thing she wished for was for things to be alright.

            I just want Eunbi to be alright.

            Yerin entered the room and sat down next to Yewon.

            If the singer noticed the wetness on her eyes, she said nothing about it.