Go for it

Flower Shower

Eunbi arrived at her home feeling like she was on cloud nine.

            Jung Yerin had really walked her to the bus stop and waited beside her until she was safe inside the bus before going back to the academy. She had even waved Eunbi goodbye.

            But that was not all: Jung Yerin gave her phone number to Eunbi and said Eunbi should text her too when she got home. To say that the dancer was having a mental breakdown at all that interaction was a huge understatement. Of course, Eunbi had interacted with Yerin before, especially during classes, but those were fleeting moments; small exchanges related to the choreography they were practicing or things like that. Sometimes, Yerin would position herself beside Eunbi when they were learning something new, but the older didn’t talk, she would just sit there, a few centimeters away from Eunbi. Other times, Yerin’s eyes met hers on the mirror and Eunbi could grasp the ghost of a smile on her senior’s lips before she’d turn her gaze away.

            All of those moments were highly treasured by Eunbi and they meant a lot to her hopeless heart. However, she could have never imagined that one day she’d have Yerin’s number saved on her phone.

            It was unbelievable and Eunbi was practically hopping her way towards her room. But her giddiness quickly subsided when she gagged, and the taste of iron invaded together with a handful of petals.

            Eunbi doubled over as a coughing fit started. She felt somewhat relieved she was already in her home; if Yewon had seen that, she was certainly doomed.

            The black petals fell on the ground, her breathing heavy as she tried to grasp some oxygen. Tears pricked the corner of her eyes and Eunbi laid down on her room’s floor, arms stretched and fingers digging on the cold wood planks. Her head was so numb that she almost missed the way her cell phone screen’s flared beside her.

            The mobile had fallen from her hand and rested a few centimeters away. Eunbi reached for it and shakingly took her phone in hands, already bracing herself to talk to Yewon and give the girl a decent excuse. However, she almost dropped it again as she saw the notification.

            Jung Yerin was texting her.

            Oh, .

 

jungyerin

Eunbi-ssi?

Hi! It’s me, Jung Yerin!

Ah, I think you have my number saved already so you

know it’s me, hehehe.

Um, anyway! Have you arrived home yet?

Sorry, am I being noisy? I know you told me you’d text me

but I couldn’t really wait. You seemed pretty bad back at

school and I got a little worried… Are you alright?

Eunbi-ssi…?

me

sorry, yeha, yea im fine

i just took a while

bc of stuff

hahaha

sorry, uh, hi

jungyerin

It’s okay! Don’t sweat it!

Hehehe, this feels nice

me

uh, what?

what is nice?

jungyerin

Talking to you!

I mean, I’ve always wanted to talk to you

Properly

Because we mostly interact at classes and that

doesn’t have much depth… I don’t know, I hope

I’m not coming off as creepy but…

I’ve always thought you were super nice.

And also, super talented.

I mean, after that routine you presented last month…

… I’m rambling, ain’t I?

I’m sorry.

Me

no!

don’t apologize!

it’s

it’s super fine

i’m just taken aback a little, sunbae… you dance so

much better! i feel like i’m seeing an angel when you

take the center… i don’t deserve all of these praises…

and wow that was weird kvjhckjxch sorry

jungyerin

Heh, it’s fine. That’s was pretty cute hehehe

But uuuuh

I never got to approach you before dskfjh since you

Were always with Yewon-ssi, I thought she was a idk

a jealous girlfriend or something xD

I just

I didn’t want to bother you guys or something hahaha

me

what?? omg, not at all jhfdsjg

yewon is my closest friend but she isnt

a jealous person, let alone a jealous gf

actually… shes always nagging at me to make

more friends

jungyerin

Wow, really? I wasn’t expecting that!

Then… um, why don’t you?

I mean, you ever walk with her.

Not that I’m stalking you or anything!

Hahaha, of course it’s not like that

I just never happened to see you with others

And I’m rambling again, sorry

This is none of my business

me

no! don’t worry please

i’m just… right now i’m just thinking

of how to say it without making it sound

like a pity party lolololololol

jungyerin

A pity party? Why would it sound like that?

me

because maybe me telling you this

probably will sound like “omg this poor girl

that can’t make friends bc of her rep” and

djfhksfjdh sorry, i just have some trouble

with explaining stuff like that

jungyerin

Damn, now I’m curious as hell!

Tell me, tell me!

You can take your time, though, don’t worry

I’d really like to get to know you better

me

you’d… really?

jungyerin

Yes!

me

uuum… alright… the story is kind of

long though.

jungyerin

Oh… a long story! I love those!

Do you want me to call instead, though?

I’m sure this would be less tiring than writing

If you want, of course

 

            Eunbi frowned and looked at the scattered petals, thinking about Yerin’s suggestion. Eunbi just had a crisis, so maybe it would take a little longer for the flowers to start coming up—maybe it was safe for her to call Yerin. God, she really wanted to hear the elder’s voice.

            Does hanahaki cause ridiculous pining? Eunbi asked herself as she chewed on her bottom lip. She couldn’t take long; Yerin was waiting.

            Deciding before she could chicken out, Eunbi quickly typed out a ‘yeah’ and there were three seconds of silence before the screen was taken by Yerin’s cute profile picture. Eunbi took a deep breath and cleared , leading the phone to her ear after accepting the call.

            “Um… hello?”

            “Eunbi-ssi!” The cheery voice hit Eunbi’s eardrums like it was all she needed to feel better. “Are you okay? You sound really down. Hey, if you’re not feeling alright we can totally postpone this call or something. You don’t need to overwork yourself.”

            “Ah, no, I’m alright… I guess I’m still feeling a little under the weather, but I’m okay now,” Eunbi slowly got up and walked to her bed, ignoring the way her heart swelled with the concern in Yerin’s voice.

            “Damn, I hope you get better soon. If it gets worse, go to the doctor, okay?” Eunbi smiled, sitting on the mattress. “So… why do you have trouble making friends, Eunbi-ssi?”

            Letting out a short chuckle at the playful tone on the other line, Eunbi laid down on the bed and sighed. “Are you really sure you want to hear all of this boring, stupid story?”

            “Hell yes, I want.”

            Eunbi snorted. “Don’t you have, like, a cool party to go or something? I think Kim Sojung from the Music Department was throwing one.”

            “Ah, yes, she is! Sojung-eonni and her girlfriend always throw the best parties. But I won’t go to this one. I think it’ll be more fun to stay here, talking to you.”

            Eunbi tried to ignore the way her heart leaped inside her chest. “Well, if you are so sure… then, alright. Just remember that you were the one that asked for it.”

            Yerin giggled and Eunbi could swear that was one of the most beautiful sounds she had ever heard. “Go for it, Hwang Eunbi, I think I can handle it.”

            Eunbi smiled and, while she explained her story, the rotting petals were drying on the floor.