Chapter 5

One Letter Coffee 2.0

Junmyeon placed a hand over his mouth, hiding his reddening cheeks in the process. He could hear Zitao stifling a laugh from behind him. 

Yifan wasn’t laughing though, looking rather concerned instead. "I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you," he apologised, glancing over at Zitao who was trying his very best not to laugh. Junmyeon smiled up at him, removing the hand in front of his mouth once he was sure the redness was gone. "It’s okay. I didn’t notice you. Where were you?"

"I was just in the kitchen." Yifan nodded towards the door leading into the kitchen. "Yixing told me to watch the cake. He didn’t want to repeat what happened on our first date." He chuckled and Junmyeon joined in as well. He remembered. Everything from the dessert catching on fire to their walk through a shopping district as they waited for the new dessert, one that wasn’t on fire. It felt like it was just yesterday Yifan had scared him in his coffee shop, asking him out through plastic cups with letters on them. 

 

"Which kind of cake is it?" Junmyeon asked, raising an eyebrow. "Nothing special, just chocolate." Yifan leaned against the bar. "With pumpkin frosting to fit the Halloween theme of course. I could get you a piece right now if you want?"

"What would Yixing say to that?"

"Who said he’d have to find out?" 

 

Junmyeon smiled at him. "No thanks, I’m good. I’ll get the chance to take a piece later probably." Yifan nodded, taking a look at the menu on the wall behind the bar. "Probably, but Yixing does make pretty good cake. It’ll be gone before you know it."

Junmyeon turned to look as well. There were a couple of names that caught his attention. "The Blood of My Enemies?" He looked at Yifan with an eyebrow raised. 

"We needed some cool Halloween related names and the ones for your drinks were really creative so we kind of borrowed them," Yifan admitted. "Not all of them though," he added. "We didn’t completely rip off your menu."

 

"It’s fine. I’m glad you like the names." Junmyeon looked back at the menu. "What’s a Vampire's Kiss?" he asked. That was definitely not on his menu. "I don’t know really. I think Luhan came up with it. How about you try it and find out?"

"But there’s no bartender." Yifan pulled at the sleeve of his white dress shirt, taking a look at his watch. "Huh. He’s late. He should be here by now."

"Who’s the bartender?" Junmyeon asked. "Do I know him?"

 

"It’s-. Oh." Yifan stopped. "He’s just over there." He pointed in the direction of the speakers. "He’s talking to Sehun." Junmyeon turned to look and there, on the other side of the room was Sehun, in his Slytherin robes, talking to that guy in the striped suit he’d met in the elevator, Jongin was it? "Do they know each other?"

"Don’t know. Maybe. Zitao knows him so who knows?"

 

The two by the bar continued just looking at the two talking by the speakers, which were not playing any music at the moment. A while later, they must’ve noticed them looking because they stopped talking by the looks of it, walking towards the bar. 

"Sorry, I’m late," Jongin apologised, walking past them to get behind the bar. "I saw Sehun and we started talking. I lost track of time." He glanced at Junmyeon, his lips curling up into a smile. "Hello."

 

"This is Junmyeon," Yifan said, placing a hand on Junmyeon’s shoulder. "We’ve been dating for while now," he explained and Junmyeon noticed how Jongin’s smile twitched. "And, Junmyeon. This is Jongin. The owner of this hotel." 

"Nice to meet you," Junmyeon said, a small smile on his face. "Likewise."

"Now that you’re here, could you get Junmyeon a Vampire's Kiss?" Yifan asked, pointing to the menu. "And I’ll have a Wolf Bite." Jongin just nodded in response, not saying anything else. 

 

"What is a Vampire's Kiss exactly?" Junmyeon eventually asked, watching Jongin make the drinks. He looked down as Jongin placed the drink in front of him. It was blood red with bubbles in it and the rim of the glass was covered in some type of pink sugar or something. It looked good.

"A martini," Jongin explained and Junmyeon picked up his drink to take a sip. "Combining vodka, Chambord, which is a raspberry liquor, and champagne. I hope you like it."

 

The drink was gone before Junmyeon knew it, and he obviously ordered a new one. He made a promise to himself that two were enough, though. Getting drunk dressed up as a devil in a party full of rich people he didn’t know was not his plan for the night. Jongdae would never let him live that down. 

Speaking of Jongdae, he hadn’t seen the guy ever since he left to get Chanyeol. The two were probably off doing something Junmyeon would rather not think about. He was still upset about that one time on the counter in the back of the coffee shop. 

 

A few hours went by and Jongdae and Chanyeol were still not anywhere to be seen. They’d missed the cake. Yifan has been right, it was gone in the matter of minutes. 

Junmyeon had over the course of the party been introduced to a ton of people, people he’d seen a few times before as they worked at the restaurants Yifan owned and people he’d never seen in his life ranging from employees to friends of his.

 

"And this is my date, Junmyeon," Yifan explained to one of the many friends he had invited to this party. This one had, unlike most of Yifan’s friends, nothing to do with any of Yifan’s restaurant. He was neither a chef nor a waiter. Instead he worked as a journalist. They had apparently met at school. It was the classic "put-together-for-a-project" thing that happened so often in movies. By the end of the project they were friends.

"Hi, Junmyeon," he, who was named Byun Baekhyun, said with a smile. He was most likely not going to recognise the journalist if he ever met him on the street as his face was painted to be a skull and he was dressed in a black and white suit. "I didn’t know Yifan had a boyfriend."

"We’re just dating," Yifan said before Junmyeon could say anything. 

 

"Yeah. We’re just dating.."