Chapter 16

One Letter Coffee 2.0

"So, have you decided on what to wear yet?"

When Junmyeon looked up from the batch of gingerbread cookies that he had gotten out of the oven a few minutes prior, Jongdae wasn't looking at him. His eyes were glued to the soapy dishes in the sink he had been tasked to clean and Junmyeon watched the student scrub vigorously at a coffee cup. 

Junmyeon knew what he was talking about, considering the upcoming date - or whatever it might be considering everyone else seemed to be involved as well - was all the younger seemed to have been talking about. If Junmyeon didn't know any better, he'd think Jongdae was the one going on the date.

"I was just thinking about wearing some simple jeans," he began, and Jongdae glanced up at him. "Maybe a nice t-shirt," he continued, and Jongdae stopped scrubbing, now staring right at him. "Topped off with some converse." Jongdae looked borderline offended at this point, and Junmyeon couldn't help but laugh.

 

"Never in a million years will I ever let you go out on a date in that. Especially not this one."

 

So, Jongdae insisted on planning his outfit for him - forced him to let him actually - which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Sure, the younger had a style that was a bit bolder and out there than his own - which mainly consisted of some simple pairs of jeans, soft, cozy sweaters and the occasional borrowed shirt - however, Junmyeon then didn't have to go through the trouble of finding the perfect outfit for this seemingly special date. It was a bit like having a personal stylist, really, one that he did not ask for but kind of appreciated anyway.

As long as the eyeliner didn't make a return, he was fine with it.


"I'm thinking a turtleneck would be nice," Jongdae said, now leaning against the counter right beside him. The dishes he had been scrubbing were now clean and neatly stacked on the counter beside the sink. "Preferably black, but I'm sure I could work with any colour."

Junmyeon took a second to reply as he gave the last gingerbread cookie a little smile with the white frosting. "I don't own any."

"That's fine." Jongdae shrugged, clearly not bothered. "I have several."

"At least give me a coat this time," the older said, placing the bag of frosting down to admire his work. Several rows of gingerbread cookies, complete with painted on smiles and clothes with candy buttons, were laid out on the counter. Once he deemed them good enough, having added a bit more frosting here and there and adjusted some of the candy, he carefully gathered them all up and stacked them on a tray. "I nearly got a frost bite last time, and an eye infection."

 

"Beauty is pain, Jun." 

 

The familiar sound of the bell above the door reached their ears, ending their conversation, and before Junmyeon could as much as blink, Jongdae snatched the last cookie right out of his hand and slipped through the door leading out into the shop, leaving Junmyeon standing there empty handed. 


When Junmyeon eventually stepped out into the shop as well a few moments later, the tray of gingerbread cookies in hand and an amused smile on his face, Jongdae was busy with the customer. The student was halfway through the stolen treat by the time he walked through the door, cookie sitting between his teeth as he scribbled the name of the customer down on the cup in his hand. 

Junmyeon paid them no mind - not about to start bickering in front of a customer just wanting their morning coffee - and merely placed the tray down, adjusted some cookies threatening to slide off and slipped past Jongdae so he could get to the mop in the corner. 

 

"Hello, Junmyeon."

 

Junmyeon knocked the mop over rather than picking it up, and he spent an embarrassingly long time trying to catch it and grab it before it hit the floor. He didn't and it hit the floor with a loud "smack". Promptly picking it up from the floor, he straightened and eyed the man on the other side of the counter for a moment. 

"Jongin," was all he said, tone neutral as he merely acknowledged that he was aware of his presence, and as if he hadn't just been wrestling a mop for a good three seconds. "I thought you were well aware of the fact that you are not welcome here." 

Jongin ignored the remark so it seemed, taking a step to the side to look at the tray of gingerbread cookies Junmyeon has brought out. "Did you make these?" he instead asked, gesturing at said cookies as his hands were in the pockets of his coat. "I'll take one."

"You can take your leave instead." Jongdae's hand paused midair before falling to his side. "They're not for you."

"Alright," Jongin looked anything but bothered, one hand now appearing out of his pocket with what Junmyeon assumes was his wallet, "I'll just have the coffee." He pulled out a couple of bills, and Jongdae gave Junmyeon a look as he silently asked him if should accept them and give him his coffee, or refuse them and discard the cup.

Junmyeon gave him a small shrug of his shoulder before slipping past him again with the mop, only beginning sweeping the floor once he was on the opposite side of the shop. Jongin would be giving them money for that coffee, so why not? The gingerbread cookies, however, Junmyeon had spent too much time on to be bought and enjoyed by the likes of him.

 

"I heard you're not coming to the Christmas party."

Junmyeon looked up to see Jongin now sitting at a nearby table, cup of coffee in hand. "I'm not, no," he said and continued sweeping as if he didn't know the other was staring right at him through the presumably - most definitely - expensive shades of his that Junmyeon didn't quite get why he was wearing. It was in the middle of winter after all. 

"That's a shame."

Junmyeon merely hummed in response, not really listening anymore. His attention had gradually fallen on the quiet Christmas music they had started playing a while back as well as his own shoes. 

"But, I'll be hosting on New Year's, and you're very welcome to come," Jongin went on to say. "You can bring the other ones too if you want," he added. 

 

"And if you need a New Year's kiss, just let me know."