Chapter 13

One Letter Coffee 2.0

The mechanic's name was Do Kyungsoo.

 

By the time he arrived, stepping through the door into the warm coffee shop, they had all finished eating their lunch and had gotten back to work, Yifan being the only one still sitting by the table. Upon seeing the mechanic, a man around Junmyeon's height with wide eyes and clad in dark, well worn work wear, Yifan rised from his seat. They met halfway and Junmyeon watched them shake hands and exchange words he couldn't hear from behind the counter. 

"Junmyeon."  

When he looked up again from the pen he'd been toying with, the mechanic and Yifan were standing right in front of the counter, and he nearly jumped in surprise. He remembered his manners and smiled at the shorter of the two.

"This is Do Kyungsoo, the mechanic I called," Yifan explained and gestured at the man in the work wear who smiled politely right back at him. "He works at the repair shop I go to, and he's never disappointed." Kyungsoo's smile grew at that, even if ever so slightly. 

"This is Kim Junmyeon, my..." Yifan let out a dry cough. "We're dating," he then went on to say. Junmyeon and Kyungsoo shook hands and exchanged greetings over the counter. 

"Jongdae's washing dishes in the back," Junmyeon explained, waving a hand in the direction of the door leading to the back. At least he hoped that was what he was doing back there with Chanyeol. "I'll go get him."

 

"Kyungsoo," Chanyeol exclaimed as he emerged from the back of the shop a few moments later, Jongdae and Sehun in tow. "What are you doing here?" he continued as he engulfed the shorter in his arms, the rest of them just standing around and watching. 

"I called him to fix Jongdae's car," Yifan explained, presumably noting just how tight Chanyeol's grip was on said mechanic. 

It was Junmyeon who asked the question they all, probably, had; "How do you know each other?" He watched Chanyeol finally free the poor guy from his tight embrace, visible marks from the fabric of Chanyeol's apron on his cheek. "We went to school together," Chanyeol continued, hand now resting on the shorter's shoulder. 

"That's nice and all," Jongdae said, steppping around the counter, "but my car door is still lying on the ground outside."

 

Jongdae - accompanied by Chanyeol - led Kyungsoo out of the coffee shop and back into the cold December afternoon, leaving only Sehun and Junmyeon to tend to the shop, as well as Yifan who had taken his seat by the table again. Once given the chance - which was after making making sure the trays were filled, the customers were happy and nothing needed a scrub or a wash - Junmyeon took a seat beside him.

Yifan greeted him with a sweet smile that never failed to make Junmyeon all warm inside.

"You didn't have to do this," Junmyeon said, shifting in his seat. "I'm sure we could have fixed it ourselves, or at least called a mechanic on our own," he continued, ignoring the way his face flushed when Yifan reached a hand out to tuck some stray hairs behind his ears. 

"I wanted to help." Yifan shrugged. "Besides." His hand moved, thumb brushing over his cheekbone and Junmyeon was definitely blushing for real now. "Do any of you know how to reattach a car door?"

With Yifan's hand touching his face, Junmyeon could only shrug. "Well... No." 

"I know Jongdae's a handful, but we wouldn't want him falling out of his car now, would we?" Junmyeon could only laugh, and Yifan did as well. It sounded better than the loveliest of Christmas music and Junmyeon couldn't help but smile even wider, gaze flitting about his features as he admired his... Date. Lover? Good friend whom he sometimes kissed and hugged?

Yifan's smile faltered, even if ever so slightly. "Junmyeon," he began, tone now lacking the teasing, joking element. "I've been meaning to-."

 

He paused at the sight of a shivering Jongdae in the door, bell ringing loudly above him and hands shoved into his pockets. "Kyungsoo fixed my door," he exclaimed, kicking the remaining snow off his feet before strolling through the shop and taking a seat at the table. He pulled his hands out to rub them together. "Only took him a moment."

"How much does he want for it?" Junmyeon asked. 

Jongdae shrugged. "Didn't ask for any money. He just left actually."

Junmyeon's head snapped in the direction of Yifan. "Did you pay him?" he asked curiously. "You really didn't-."

"I did, and I won't tell you how much because none of you are paying me back." Yifan's tone was stern, yet gentle, and neither of the other two made any move to argue. "I took care of it," he continued, tone much gentler and softer. 

Jongdae nearly bounced out of his seat to give the taller an awkward, scarily tight, yet very much affectionate hug. "Thanks, Yifan."

 

Junmyeon spoke the moment he let the door to the coffee shop shut behind them. It was late, his shift being over and the three others having left a while ago - except Yifan that is, who had refused to leave until Junmyeon was leaving. "You really didn't-." 

Yifan silenced him with a finger pressed to his lips, successfully stopping him from finishing his sentence. When he looked up at him, the taller's eyebrows were furrowed and the look in his eyes alone would have been enough to stop him from speaking. "I did, and you can't stop me."

"Well... No, but-."

The finger was pressed ever so slightly harder against his lips before it disappeared completely. 

"Shut up." Yifan's words were whispered against his lips as he dipped down to kiss him gently, successfully silencing him for another moment. "That was my repayment, and now we're even, alright?"

"It's Jongdae you should be kissing, not me." 

Yifan merely laughed.