Under the Blossoms

✽ --- falling star ★ [ONESHOT REQUESTS] {c l o s e d

A light breeze swiveled through the curls of my hair. The trees were filled with fluffy pink clouds; small and elegant, but detailed to every petal. A blossom floated down gently into my palm, giving me a chance to admire its beauty. I giggled, reminded of how rare it was to find a cherry blossom tree back home in the countryside. The grass was the blanket that enveloped me when I had felt lost at home. Seeing it here in Seoul brought back a nostalgic feeling.

Sighing, I waited for Lee Howon, my friend, to show up. Howon always had a tendency to take his time, especially when he was with me. When matters surrounding his friends arouse however, he would flee to them. When there were urgent matters concerning me though, he would take off. There had always been an unspoken bond and mutual feelings we had towards each other, yet we never spoke up, afraid our friendship may fall apart. Today, that was going to change.

Leaning forward, I peered into the distance for any sign of a well-built man sauntering towards this tree. It was then I noticed a black-haired man standing a few feet beside me with his hands dug deep into his pockets. Curious, I took a few baby steps forward to catch a better glimpse of the person. An audible gasp escaped my mouth, awed at how cute the man was. He can’t be older than his mid 20s, I thought to myself. Whoever he’s waiting for here is the luckiest person alive.

His hair was jostled messily but his clean, wrinkle-free white v-neck contrasted with it. A pair of dark skinny jeans hung loosely and they were accompanied with sneakers. I couldn’t begin to wonder what his profession was, seeing how he had such a baby face. His cheekbones were high and his button nose matched perfectly with his chocolate brown orbs. His body was well-built also, but probably not as fine as Howon’s.

He shifted his weight onto his other foot, waking me up from his hypnosis. I gulped nervously and to hide my embarrassment, I plugged one earphone into my ears. Without knowing, I began to sing along to the song playing on my iPod. Earning a glance from the man, he chuckled. Soon, another voice joined me in harmonizing, perfecting the song. I glanced around and didn’t notice anyone else who could also be singing along except for the man. He gazed at the sky with a longing look as he leaned back against the sturdy length of the tree. It was a scene straight out of a novel; the man would long for his girl’s return, waiting by the tree. Coincidentally, that was what the song was about - the yearning love of a man for a girl who was in a better place. I smiled bitterly and leaned back on the tree comfortably also, enjoying the spring breeze.

With the song coming to an end, I glanced at the man, attempting to gauge his reaction. He gazed back at me with a warm and sweet smile. His exposed dimples made his smile much sweeter.

“You have a beautiful voice.” He complimented.

“Thank you,” I replied. “You do too.”

He nodded curtly and a foggy gaze replaced the twinkling eyes that were visible a few seconds ago.

“Are you waiting for someone?” He asked.

I nodded. “I think he forgot about our meeting though,” I guessed bitterly. “What about you?”

“Same here,” he replied without glancing over at me. “Except I’m waiting for a girl.”

I chuckled lightly, a little grateful the man had become my companion now. It was better than waiting alone for someone who may never come. Despite knowing that, I stayed put to my spot. Today was a special day, and I refused to leave until he came. I had faith in Howon; I believed he would show up.

No words were exchanged as both of us stood by the tree, waiting patiently for our partners. Just the mere presence was enough to comfort both of us. The breeze blew harsher and harder, sending the grass to dance with the wind furiously. My hair joined in on the party, which I did not appreciate.

Half an hour swept by us and I was growing restless. Had he really forgotten what day today was? I had even told him the night before and made him promise to show up.

“Howon-ah, do you know what day tomorrow is?” I asked him as I cuddled into his chest. We were at Howon’s house for our weekly Saturday movie night. It was a tradition we had started since we were young, and never have we stopped it. It held memories, memories that were too precious to let go so easily.

His low chuckle rumbled through me, causing me to giggle quietly. He my hair with a faraway glaze in his eyes.

“Of course I do,” he replied confidently but in a softer tone. He avoided my gaze, but I thought nothing of it.

“Then you have to promise me!” I exclaimed, leaving the comfort of his broad chest. Raising his eyebrow in curiosity, he nodded at me to continue.

“You have to promise me to meet me under the cherry blossom tree by the river tomorrow!” I cried out childishly.

“Promise?”

The latter chuckled, nodding his head in agreement. He hooked his pinky finger with mine, leaning into my face. His rough and large finger wrapped around my long and slender one, causing me to blush slightly.

“I promise,” he whispered.

I sighed at the memory and dialed his number thrice. All the times I called, no one picked up. Despite how patient I usually was with him, I was beginning to get irritated. Of all the days he had to skip out on, it had to be today? I grunted in disbelief and nearly threw my phone on the grassy bed.

“He’s not picking up?” The melodic voice questioned. Although he hadn’t turned his head to face me, I could feel his gaze at me. My childish side retreated momentarily and I squeaked out, “No.”

He let out a sigh himself, glancing at the time on his phone.

“Same here,” he stated. “She’s never been late like this before…” He mumbled worriedly.

Another hour passed by us. Time was moving forward, but we weren’t. We stood still, at the same spot, waiting for our partners to arrive and press the ‘play’ button to the movie of our life. I placed the earphone back in my ear, hoping to tune out the world while I waited. I stole a glance of the man again, biting my bottom lip in contemplation.

Making up my mind, I scooted closer to the man and offered the other earphone to him.

“Want to listen together?” I asked him shyly. A smirk grew on his face.

“Aren’t you scared that I’ll do something to you?”

I shook my head. “If you had, you would’ve done something a while ago.”

He nodded in agreement and gratefully took the other bud. Resting his head against the bark, he bobbed his head up and down to the music when it was upbeat. When a ballad was played, he would croon softly. It made me admire him even more than I already had, and that was saying a lot considering I had just met him.

“You know it’s not polite to stare at someone,” he mocked lightly.

Embarrassed, I glanced away and focussed my attention on the shimmering river. It may have been windy, but the sun was brighter than the one during summer. The waves waivered much more and the sunshine beat down, causing the river to glitter. I caught a glimpse of goldfish jumping out from the water, gasping at the rare sight. The grass flowed to the rhythm of the wind, like it was dancing to music. A beautiful sight, but too dazzling for my eyes. Squinting, I turned back to Yoseob and found him asleep. Had I been staring at the river that long?

I leaned back against the tree too, my eyes slowly closing from the breeze and the soft melody that was playing on my iPod. The weather was enough to lull one into a slumber and I did just that, my head dropping to the man’s shoulder as I drifted off to an alternate universe.


When I awoke, the sky was already merging into a mixture of orange and red. I was no longer standing; rather, I was sitting and leaning into the man’s shoulder. A little alarmed, I rubbed my eyes to confirm my suspicions and I was correct. How had this happened? I asked myself. The only person I have ever leaned on is Howon!

Noticing that I was awake, he smiled at me.

“Good morning,” he teased. “Had a good sleep?” I chuckled and nodded.

His brows furrowed together and his gaze filled with worry. “Aren’t you cold?”

I shook my head with a smile. I genuinely thought my light sweater and skinny jeans were enough in this spring weather. Yet, the night breeze was colder than I imagined as a strong gust blew in. Immediately, I rubbed my arms, my teeth chattering. He slid his jacket off and wrapped it around me. My eyes dilated from surprise as his lips tugged up into a small smile.

“For you.” He gestured. I giggled at his cheesy hand motion.

“I never caught your name.” I stated bluntly, feeling drunk with courage. His light chuckle resounded in the sky; a beautiful melody to my music deprived ears.

“Yang Yoseob. And yours?”

“Nam Hyeeun,” I replied. “If I may ask, what do you do Yoseob-ssi?” I was a little more than curious regarding his profession.

“I’m a teacher at Anyang High,” he smiled. I gasped, utter shock coming out. “Is it that hard to believe?” He nudged my side playfully.

I nodded slowly, still unbelievably shocked. “You don’t look like a teacher,” I commented.

“You’re right, I don’t.” He admitted. “But I can’t help it if I like kids.” He shrugged.

I raised my eyebrow skeptically. “High school students who don’t listen to you?” I scoffed.

“Hey they’re pretty cute!” He pouted. “And I’m a cool teacher, if I must say so myself.” Yoseob puffed his chest out with a silly grin plastered on his face. A hoot escaped my lips which earned a curious and loving glance from Yoseob. It was a moment where time stood still; his eyes boring into mine as if to decipher or search for something. His brown eyes drew me in though. They were filled with unconditional love for someone – perhaps his lover – and curiosity. Had I done something wrong? I wondered to myself, immediately slapping my hands on my reddened cheeks.

“What do you do Hyeeun-ssi?” He murmured softly while still gazing at me with his soft orbs.

I began to stutter under his gaze, unable to conjure a proper response. He gently brought my hands away from my cheeks, exposing how flushed they were. A soft chuckle emitted from his thin lips and he held onto my two hands with his larger ones.

“Well?” He raised his eyebrow curiously.

“I’m a baker,” I managed to squeak out. Pleasantly interested, he motioned for me to go on. “I bake cakes, cupcakes, bread…”

As I trailed off, telling him everything I could bake, I found myself missing the bakery. I missed the smell of the fresh bread that came out of the oven every morning and the sweet aroma of the cakes when they came out. I wish I hadn’t taken a day of for Howon, I thought miserably. He didn’t bother showing up anyway.

“I’ll have to come by and visit then,” Yoseob grinned. I smiled gratefully and gave him a quirky reply.

“Then I’ll make sure to charge you extra!” I giggled. Asking for the address of the bakery, I typed it into his phone.

“Oh, it’s near my school,” he exclaimed after searching up the place on his phone. “I’ll come by and visit tomorrow at lunch,” he promised. I gave him the okay and we chatted a little longer before realizing the sky had turned completely dark. The street lights were illuminating, reminding us of how long we had been there already.

“Wah, it’s getting dark,” I mused. “Let me send you home,” Yoseob suggested.

“No, it’s fine.” I shook my head. “Come on,” Yoseob nudged. “It’s bad for a girl to go home late at night.

“I just hope you won’t mind we’re traveling by bike.”

Chortling, I agreed, hopping on to the two-wheel transportation. Giving him the directions to my house, he nodded absentmindedly.

“I’m sorry, but could you give me the directions as we go along?” He asked sheepishly. “I tend to forget these kinds of things…” I laughed at his shy side and agreed. It was a slow and smooth ride but as the pavement became rougher, I found myself nearly falling off the bike.

“Yah Yoseob-ssi, go slower!” I squealed. “Your hands are in the wrong place!” He complained. “Here.”

He swiftly grabbed my hands and boldly wrapped them around his waist. Feeling his skin brush against mine, I gulped. The contact sent a tingling touch through my body, a touch I was very familiar with. It was something I felt only when I was with Howon; yet why did I feel it from Yoseob too?

Brushing that aside, I tightened my grip on his waist, truly believing that I would fall off the bike if I didn’t.

 


“Thanks for bringing me home,” I smiled gratefully at Yoseob.

“No problem,” he grinned. We stood outside the door of my apartment awkwardly for a moment. Yoseob rubbed the nape of his neck nervously, as if contemplating whether or not to ask me something. I let it go though and waved goodbye to him.

“Good night Yoseob-ssi. Be careful on the way home.”

“Wait!”

My hand froze in the midst of turning the doorknob, raising an eyebrow at the man before me.

“Can I have your number?” He asked in a small voice.

Mildly surprise, I nodded a little too eagerly. I was too preoccupied to notice his flushed cheeks and wide grin. More than happy to, we quickly exchanged numbers and bid our farewell.

“Be careful!” I shouted to him as he disappeared behind the elevator doors. A small smirk was pasted on his face before his angelic visage disappeared.

Entering my apartment with giddiness surging through my body like adrenaline, my eyebrows furrowed upon seeing a pair of sneakers that didn’t belong to me. Must be Howon’s, I concluded. Does that mean he’s in my house? Kicking my boots off, I quickened my pace into the living room.

Sure enough, Howon sat on the couch of the living room with an angry expression etched onto his face.

“Yah! Where have you been all this time? Don’t you know it’s too dangerous for a girl to be roaming around the streets so late at night?” He inquired in a calm manner to mask his furious tone.

My blood boiled from his shout. I had been waiting for him all day, yet I come home to this? Was he out of his mind?

“Is it that bad for me to go out?” I retorted harshly. “I do have other friends you know!”

“Even so, you don’t stay out so late!” Howon shouted back.

I ran my hand through my hair that had been roughly harassed by the wind earlier on today. “Get a grip Howon! Who are you, my mother?”

I angrily stomped into the kitchen to grab a glass of water. Throwing my bag on the kitchen counter, heavy footsteps followed behind. Preparing myself for another explosive round, I whipped around. Instead, I was met with a worried gaze.

“You don’t know how much I worry about you Hyeeeun,” he whispered softly with an edge to his voice. It was a completely different Howon I had just had my fight with.

“It drives me crazy when you come home late and I’m not the one with you.”

My heart skipped a beat but I cut him off. I had officially snapped. I wasn’t something he carried around with, and he wasn’t obliged to take care of me.

“Well why do you think I was out so late huh? A friend of mine forgot to meet me at the cherry blossoms tree today and I stood there helplessly waiting for hours!” I screamed at him.

He stared at me blankly before realizing what sin he had committed. Rubbing his hands up his face, frustration replaced his worried expression.

“Oh man, was it today? I’m so sorry, I completely forgot,” he answered apologetically.

“Sorry doesn’t cut it,” I said, my voice coming out barely audible. Crossing my arms, I whispered menacingly, “Today was our fifth franniversary and you forgot?

“You don’t know how special today was going to be. Did you go to Sungyeol and them today again?” I inquired furiously.

“Hey those guys do have names,” he states, his fury rising in him again. “And if my brothers are in need of my help, of course I need to go help them!”

Scoffing in disbelief, I whispered, “Well I guess I’m not worth your time.

“You’re always like this Howon. Brothers before girls, I get it. But couldn’t you have ditched them this time, for me?” My voice strained, and I could feel the tears building in the rim of my eyes.

“I’ll make it up to you,” he pleaded, skillfully avoiding the question. “I’m sorry.”

“You can’t make up for this,” I whispered. “Get out of my house.” My voice was unsteady and I was sure tears were going to drop any moment. Any other day I would’ve been willing to show my tears to Howon. But not today.

Hearing the strain in my voice, he reached out to embrace me but I slapped his arms away. Hurt and fuming, I pushed him out the kitchen, out the door, and threw him his sneakers. With a slam of my door, I slid down to the floor, burying my head in my arms. My tears had found its way out and created little tracks down my cheeks. I hate you Howon. Howon pounded on the door, begging for me to allow him to enter. Soon his pleas became threats, making me even more unwilling to open the door.

I grabbed my bag from the kitchen counter and made my way back to my bedroom. My steps slowed and grew heavier until I reached my bed, immediately collapsing onto it. Clamping my ears shut, I curled up into a ball. The pounds slowly died down to nothing, an indication that Howon had left. Knowing his personality though, I knew he wouldn’t give up and be back soon to apologize and ‘make it up to me’. A heavy sigh escaped my lips, probably the fifth one today. Before I became impervious to the world, my phone vibrated and a small smile found its way on my lips. It was wondrous how a simple message could’ve brought a smile upon my face during this raging storm.

Good night Hyeeun-ssi. It was nice meeting you today! ^^ Sleep well ~
- Yoseob


---------------------------------------------------


I woke up groggily the next day, thankful I would be heading to the bakery.Ironically, I wanted to do nothing but curl back into my bed and sleep. Only darkness seeped through my window curtains, and I rolled in my bed restlessly.

A long and annoying beep rang on my phone. Irritation creeping up, I answered it.

“What?” I barked into my phone.

“It’s time to wake up, you !” My best friend screamed into the receiver. I pulled the phone away from my ear, rubbing it sorely.

“Yah, pipe down Kim Soyeon! I just woke up!” I huffed angrily.

“Somebody has a temper,” she said in a sassy tone.

Running my hand through my hair, I growled into my phone. “I’ll see you at the shop in half an hour.”

Cutting my best friend off, I threw my phone on my bed lazily and went to wash up. I knew half an hour wasn’t enough to get ready, much less get to the shop on time. But who cares? I certainly didn’t, and my temper still hadn’t died down from yesterday’s eventful sufferings and happiness.

 

Forty minutes later, I arrived at the shop and was met with a cross Soyeon and my calm 28 year old boss, Yoo Sujeon.

“Yah Nam Hyeeun!” My best friend snarled. “You were supposed to be here ten minutes ago!”

I rolled my eyes. Sometimes, people would mistake Soyeon as the owner of the shop when it was really Sujeon.

“Loosen up Soyeon. I’m only baking bread today anyway,” I retorted. Coolly tracing my steps into the kitchen, Soyeon let out a shrill scream, probably waking up the entire neighbourhood. Sujeon on the other hand, let out a giggle at our childish antics before going back to the shop’s financial books again.

 

Noon rolled around much faster than anticipated as I spent the morning working on baking the bread. Droplets of sweat streamed down the side of my face but a wide smile was plastered on my face. This was where I belonged; my second home. Finally done the third batch of the morning, I stored them on the racks and let them cool. With a satisfied huff, I began working on sweets – cupcakes to be exact.

Skipping through lunch, noon passed.Without knowing, the screams of children outside the shop poured in, demanding the cupcakes I had promised them the other day. Sujeon and Soyeon were forced to calm the children down, knowing I was putting on final touches to the scrumptious cupcakes. However, the kids became restless and screams soon turned into demanding chants.

Soyeon hurried into the kitchen, desperation and agitation in her steps. “Hurry Hyeeun-ah! The kids are getting out of control!”

I merely nodded and waved her out the kitchen again. I was almost done and was determined not to lose concentration. She let out an exasperated sigh before scurrying back out to help Sujeon who cried her pleas.

The bell to the shop jangled. Although it was probably unnoticeable to the others, I perked up at the sound of it. It was interesting why it did, but my heart thumped a beat.

“What’s the rush kids?”

Even in the midst of madness, I could recognize his voice. The man I had only met yesterday, but had made me go crazy. Wiping my hands on a cloth nearby, I sneaked out the kitchen to steal a glimpse of him. I had already lost my concentration when I heard the bell jingle, so why not come out to watch the show?

“We’re waiting for unnie to finish our cupcakes,” a cute little girl pouted. Yoseob raised an eyebrow curiously and asked her, “Hyeeun-unnie?” The little girl nodded eagerly and with twinkling eyes she described the cupcake I had promised the kids with her inextensive vocabulary.

Yoseob chuckled and nodded. “Well why don’t we play a game while we’re waiting? We don’t want to disturb Hyeeun-unnie,” he winked.

I blushed at the way my name rolled off his tongue. Sweetly, the kids chorused, “Yes!” Yoseob put his index finger to his lips to which the little kids mirrored.

“Now let’s be quiet,” he whispered. “Unnie will be out soon with her cupcakes!”

A smile came from both Sujeon and Soyeon, but I could already tell mine was the largest without stealing a glance at the mirror. After all, Yoseob really was taking care of the kids for me. With a small laughter escaping my lips, I turned back into the kitchen to put the final preparations on the cupcakes.

 

“Kids, your cupcakes are ready!” I shouted out as I exited the kitchen with a tray full of cupcakes. The children immediately turned around, their eyes narrowing upon seeing the cupcakes. Laser eyes locked on their target, they excitedly rushed to my side, their greedy hands reaching up to grab my cupcakes. The tray tipped slightly, alarming all the adults in the shop. I was beginning to lose my footing and balance before my hand felt weightless. I glanced up, meeting Yoseob’s warming gaze which caused me to flush.

Taking the tray away to a more spacious area of the shop, he distributed a cupcake to each child who graciously took and munched on them. I watched him and kids with a motherly gaze, wondering how it would be like if he had his own children.

The young girl from before tugged on my apron and I crouched down to her eye level.

“Unnie!” She shouted, her eyes glimmering with happiness. “Your cupcakes are the best! Daebak!”

Another young boy ran up beside the girl, giving me a thumbs up. “Noona jjang!” I laughed, ruffling their hair. “Araso, now go home before your mommies start worrying,” I told them with a bright smile.

They nodded their heads and ran back to the large group before exiting the shop. Waving goodbye to the employees and Yoseob, they disappeared from the shop. With brilliant smiles on our faces, we turned to each other before applauding excitedly.

“Hyeeun-ah! You don’t know how worried I was!” Soyeon pouted. “I thought you wouldn’t finish them!”

I chuckled, flattered by her comment. “It’s a good thing this man was here,” Sujeon added. Both of them flounced beside me, nudging my side. “Who is this anyway?” Sujeon grinned. “Care to introduce us to him?”

“Unnie!” I pouted. “He’s a friend.”

Yoseob stretched his hand out and introduced politely, “My name’s Yang Yoseob. Nice to meet you.”

Sujeon accepted his outstretched hand and shook it eagerly. “Yoo Sujeon. I’m the owner of this bakery. And this is Kim Soyeon.”

Soyeon waved at the man energetically and he grinned, showing his dimples. The two girls gasped, squealing with each other while Yoseob cocked his head to the side curiously. I rolled my eyes, knowing they were squealing at how cute he was when he smiled. While they were on their fangirl mode, I hastily pulled Yoseob aside.

“What’s up?” I asked him. He shrugged, pointing at the clock. “Well I was supposed to come by at lunch like I promised, but I had a meeting.

“So I’m here to make it up to you,” he grinned. “Coffee?”

I beamed but glanced back at the pair. It felt a little uneasy leaving the two to look after the shop, especially since they were fangirling. They must have sensed my worried gaze because before I knew it, I was stripped of my apron and thrown my bag. Urging me to go, the two pushed us out of the shop.

“Be back by five o’clock!” Sujeon shouted after us as we strolled down the streets. Once we were a few feet away from the shop, Yoseob couldn’t hold back a chuckle.

“Are they always like that?” He asked, pointing back at the shop. I nodded and giggled. “They are waymore hyper than this. You only saw the beginning,” I said.

“Oh? Is this an invitation for me to come back again?” He rose, amused. My cheeks flushed and I walked slightly faster.

“Think what you want,” I murmured back at him, attempting to hide my embarrassment.

“I want to too you know,” he whispered after me.

 

Like Cinderella and her ball, my outing with Yoseob ended too fast for me to recall. We argued over who would pay and he ceased our conversation by pushing me into the ladies’ washroom so he could pay for the coffee. Huffing, we departed from the coffee shop.

“Yah, don’t be like this Hyeeun-ah,” he said as he caught up to me. Slinging his arm over my shoulders, he showed an incredibly adorable puppy face.

“Fine,” I huffed my cheeks. “I’ll forgive you.

“And when did we get so familiar to drop formalities?” I inquired curiously. He playfully punched my shoulder. “Since today, that’s when! I helped you with the kids; it’s the least you can do, isn’t it?” He teased.

I scoffed and walked briskly away. That didn’t mean I was mad though. I was overjoyed to be able to drop formalities with him.

“Yoseob-ah, ppali!” I turned around, crossing my arms across my chest. He caught up no time, slinging his arm around my shoulder once again.

“No, it’s oppa to you!” He teased. “Wae?” I pouted.

“Because I’m older,” he stated proudly. “You’re only in your early 20s aren’t you?” I nodded,  amazed at how he knew but urged him to go on. “And I’m in my mid 20s,” he grinned. “So it’s obvious who’s older isn’t it?”

I let out a groan and muttered a ‘fine’ childishly. He laughed, and surely his laugh was contagious, because soon I laughed along with him.

We entered the shop with a couple aura but the two girls were oblivious of it. Soyeon sulked once she saw me. As reluctant as I was, I left Yoseob’s side and I went to the girl sitting at the counter to ruffle her hair.

“What’s wrong Soyeon?” I mused. “I didn’t get a cupcake!” She huffed. A smile upon my lips, I glanced at Sujeon who quickly looked away. Chuckling, I disappeared into the kitchen and came out with three cupcakes – one for each of them. Their eyes sparkling, the two girls jumped up in excitement and each took one. I handed the last one to Yoseob whose orbs glistened gleefully and excitedly at the sight of the beautiful cupcake in my hand.

“What about you Hyeeun? You don’t have one,” Soyeon said between her munches.

“It’s okay,” I said quickly. “I can make these any time.”

“Then let’s share this one,” Yoseob proposed. “I’ll take this as a compensation for the coffee,” he chimed. He took a bite one side daringly, his eyes mocking me to do the same. Blush creeping to my cheeks, I took a bite on the other side courageously while gazing into his chocolate orbs. A smile was exchanged between us and I immediately knew this was the start to something new.

 

---------------------------------------------------

 

For the next few days, Yoseob made frequent visits to the bakery and we became close friends. Even Sujeon and Soyeon enjoyed his company and often, we had to shoo him out of the shop so he could attend his class on time.

“It’s bad for you if you don’t show up on time for your class oppa!” I pointed at him accusingly one afternoon. “You’ll be a horrible role model for the children!”

Mortified at my statement, he fled from the shop, causing us to guffaw. Later on during the hour, I received a text from Yoseob.

I’m in class now~ Happy? I listened to you! Kekeke. I’ll see you after class Hyeeun~

My knees immediately felt weak and my two friends came over to check to see what was up. They shrieked excitedly after reading the text.

“He’s going to ask you out!!” Soyeon squealed. “You’re so lucky Hyeeun! He’s the perfect boyfriend…” Sujeon trailed off dreamily.

“Yah you two!” I slapped them. “You don’t know that!”

“We’ll have to see, won’t we?” Sujeon smiled deviously. I slapped the two once more before hiding in the kitchen, pathetically squealing to myself.

 

As the time for Yoseob to arrive came closer, I became more restless. What was I supposed to say to him when he came in? My mind wandered a little farther than I had wanted before a violent ring resonated through the shop. Immediately sensing something was off, I peered out of the kitchen to find Howon.

“Where’s Hyeeun?” He asked Sujeon and Soyeon a little too menacingly. Soyeon let out a small squeak and before she could utter a reply, I emerged from behind the kitchen doors.

“What do you want Howon?” I inquired coldly. His eyes immediately softened, running up to me. I crossed my arms, the same fury burning through me again.

“Hyeeun-ah, come back to me,” he begged. “I miss your company.”

I scoffed unbelievably. “Do you think I will forgive you for your actions?

“Actions speak louder than words,” I whispered to him. “Don’t ever forget that.” I my heels with the thought of leaving the bakery in mind. Disappearing out the bakery, I began to trace the route to Yoseob’s school. A tight grip encircled my wrist and roughly turned me around, pulling me into his chest.  

“Please don’t be like this Hyeeun,” he said pleadingly with a tinge of anger in his voice. I pushed him off me but to no avail. His strength was no match for the weakling I was.

“Get off me Howon,” I mumbled angrily. “I don’t like you anymore! In fact, I wish I never did!” I blurted out at him. We earned looks from many of the bystanders, but I didn’t care. All I wanted was to be out of Howon’s grasp and nothing more.

“I won’t let you go,” he stated firmly. “Never again. I won’t ditch you for my friends anymore. I’ll listen to you only, okay?”

“No, not okay!” I stared into his eyes to find hot flames burning. “I don’t like you anymore, simple as that!

“Can’t we just stay as friends?” I whimpered the last part.

“Yah, what do you think you’re doing!?”

An arm grabbed my waist, and the other sent a punch to Howon’s cheek. Howon staggered back, releasing me from his grip. Astonished, I looked up at my savior to be welcomed by the fierce look of Yoseob. It was a side that I had yet to see and something I was curious in seeing. He turned his attention back to me, his eyebrows furrowing worriedly.

“Are you all right Hyeeun?”

I nodded and before Howon had time to recover and throw a punch, Yoseob grabbed my hand and we fled.

We ran for a few minutes nonstop until we stopped in front of a fountain of a park. Panting, we took a seat on the marble fountain.

“You run fast for a teacher,” I told him between pants. He chuckled but it came out more as a wheeze. Once we caught our breaths, we sat side by side on the marble fountain. A long silence filled the air between us. My fidgeting fingers didn’t once stop playing nervously until Yoseob’s large hand wrapped around mine.

“Hyeeun-ah.”

“Yes oppa?” I mused without looking at him.

“What would you say if I asked you to be my girlfriend?”

My heart skipped two beats faster but I brushed his question aside. “Oppa, don’t you have a girlfriend already?”

He shook his head, gratefully even.

“Then who were you waiting the day we met?” I asked, finally meeting his gaze.

“You.” He declared sweetly. My mouth hung open at his open confession and looked down at our intertwined hands again.

“Hyeeun-ah, look at me.”

Obeying his command hesitantly, I looked up and gazed into his warm brown eyes. Those very ones that made my heart skip a beat on the first day we met.

His thumb brushed my lips softly and slowly, the gap between us closed until there was none at all. I melted into his sweet chocolate kiss, a happy sigh escaping my lips. We parted, our gaze still not yet broken.

“Will you be mine?” He asked softly.

Wrapping my arms around his neck, my breath tickled the sensitive skin on his neck.

“I was yours from the start.”

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


cherry says !
well. I hope that was enjoyable xD 15 pages guys ~ I never knew I could write so much for a oneshots .___. seriously, if the last one was long, this one must be a novel. sadly unedited again because I'm lazy and my brain's busted =w= need to get those gears moving again for the next shot, vroommmm!  &I think I explained too much on their meeting. but it was so necessary! (to me) /cough

anywhoooo, on the side note, I'm going to see hunger games tmr! ^____^v finally. my friend ditched me last minute. I sincerely thought we were going to go together and I thought she was joking when she said she wasn't sure. or at least, I thought she would change her mind. but who cares? my sis is taking me out tmr to watch it with her and her bf! though I'll be the third wheel, I'm happy to go watch it (:

personal msg to my hyeeun ;>
HYEEUN-AH, YAH! YOU BETTER HAVE LIKED THIS! I don't provide rewrites if you don't enjoy keke ~ ;D