Once More (With You)

✽ --- falling star ★ [ONESHOT REQUESTS] {c l o s e d

“I love your cooking you know that?” I cheerfully chirped as I shoved a spoonful of bulgogi in my mouth.

“I know,” he whispered. His words froze every part of my body as I attempted to register his remorseful tone. I quizzically gazed at him yet him being the older one out of us, he looked away. I set my spoon down trying to decipher his expression. I didn’t know why but today, I couldn’t read it at all. Why today of all days can’t I read his face? I questioned myself.

The silence stretched on, sending me on the edge of my seat. My palms grew sweaty with nervousness boiling at the pit of my stomach. My hands twitched in anxiety and I bit my bottom lip nervously. The contradicting feelings of wanting him to spit out whatever he had to say and keeping whatever bad news he had to himself was eating me alive.

“Oppa, what’s wrong?” I blurted out, unable to control the better of me. As soon as those words had escaped my innocent lips, I clapped my mouth shut with my hand, afraid more insensitive words would escape these sinned lips.

A small smile tugged upwards and he smiled genuinely at me. “Nothing Mina. Let’s eat,” he urged me as cheerfully as he could.

After watching him pick up his chopsticks to eat did I comply and mirror his moves. I beamed again once the heavenly taste of bulgogi melted in my mouth. Outstretching my hands across my dinner table, I gave him a thumbs up.

“Oppa jjang!” He chuckled and stuck more bulgogi in my open mouth. “Chew or else flies will go in,” he joked. I let out a ballistic smile, glad to have my oppa back.

My Byunghyun-oppa.

Thinking back, I wish I had made him talk. I wish I had made him spit out whatever he had stuck in his throat that day. Before I knew it, it was too late.

He was already gone. My Byunghyun-oppa disappeared.

 

 

The bell that marked the end of the day finally sounded and I collapsed in my seat. Outrageously tired and thankful the day had ended, I dropped my head in my arms. Other students began to pack up their belongings and chattered with their friends. I remained in my seat, the energy drained from my legs entirely.

“Mina-ah!” My best friend shook my shoulders violently. “Ah waeeee,” I whined. “Leave me alone Ricky.”

“Well you have to get up and go home anyway,” he complained. I shook my head and he huffed at my icy demeanour. Shortly after, Changjo entered our classroom.

“Yah Changjo! Mina-ah won’t get up!” He angrily shouted to him. Changjo furrowed his eyebrows and approached me, pulling me by the elbow.

“Yah!” I barked at him. He smiled innocently at me and patted my shoulder sympathetically. “Let’s go home.”

I rolled my eyes at him but didn’t object. Gathering my things, I shoved them into my bag and skipped off to follow my two friends. Ricky and Changjo had been my best friends forever. They only lived a couple blocks from my house, which I was always grateful for. The two boys often came over to my house, and I often went to theirs on days I was lonely. Before I had met Byunghyun-oppa, I was always at home alone, fending off for myself. If I hadn’t met these two, I don’t know what I would’ve done. I smiled slightly at the memory of our first encounter before their sharp voices resonated in unison in my eardrums.

“Hurry up Mina!”

 

A small cloud of cold breath escaped my mouth as I heaved a heavy sigh. It had been another long day at school and I wanted nothing but to return home and lie in my comfy bed. Every day was the same routine: get up, go to school, keep up my grades, eat, sleep, and vice versa. Kicking the small pebbles along the rocky path home, I wondered what my no-good of a father had left for me again. Had he eaten properly last night after returning home from work? Did he bother throwing his dirty clothes into the laundry basket for me to wash?

The three of us split off into different paths and I depressingly continued the path home. Suddenly, a pair of familiar, sturdy arms wrapped around my shoulders and my eyes immediately darted to the person standing beside me. He grinned and continued to saunter down the road to my house and inevitably, my frown turned into a smile. He always had a knack for making me smile whenever I was down, even though he didn’t know about it.

Lee Byunghyun, my angel.

“Yah Lee Mina.” His voices snapped me awake from my fantasy and to my dismay, the person next to me wasn’t Byunghyun. I sighed inwardly, slightly disappointed that it wasn’t him. It had merely been my imagination, and nothing more. Wishful thinking, I thought to myself miserably. 

Chunji raised an accusing eyebrow and sighed. “You miss him don’t you?”

I nodded, my eyes watering at memories from that night. It was a peaceful night of reading in my bed yet again as I turned the delicate page that brought me a wide variety of feelings. The book I had been reading always had me on the edge and I could never find it in myself to put the book down. I still couldn’t put it down to this day. It still sat on my shelf, waiting for another page to be ce again. I couldn’t bring myself to do it though. It brought the depressing memories of that night.

The doorbell rang furiously but I ignored it. It must’ve been my father again who forgot his keys. It didn’t matter though; last time this happened, he found the spare key in the pot of plant outside the door of our house. If he could do it last time, why not be able to do it this time?

Yet the annoying rings of the bell continued and it sent me on the edge. I nearly ripped the corners of the page as I turned it before throwing the book down onto my bed irritatingly. Who dare intrude my peaceful night with this horrid melody of annoying bells?

I stormed down the stairs and flung open the door.

“What?” I barked, crossing my arms across my chest. I was surprised at the sight of five boys at my door, stumbling in. That didn’t lessen the anger boiling within me.

“I was reading a perfectly good book and you guys had to come and – ”

“Mina, read this first!” Chunji shoved the letter in my face.

I had only read the first sentence of the letter before the first stream of tears traced down my cheeks.

 

To my beloved close line of friends, I’m sorry.

I hate to acknowledge that I had made a horrible decision of leaving so abruptly, but the thought of seeing everyone cry at my departure would break my heart. Seeing that, I know I wouldn’t want to leave anymore. I’m very selfish actually. I left for medical school to pursue my future. I’m sure each and every one of you know I aspire to become a doctor right? I want to be useful to this society and save lives. I want to be someone all of you can be proud of and I need to go to medical school to achieve that. 

I will miss each of you dearly. Do take care of yourselves alright? Chunji, don’t forget to do your laundry! I always have to pick up after you and you don’t know how much your clothes stink sometimes after being on the floor of our house.

Minsoo-hyung! I hope you’ll pass your exams and become an excellent police. I know you’ll do fine on your exams, so just concentrate on studying for now! Don’t worry too much about it; at least you’ll always have Niel beside you! And you Niel; please cook wonderful meals for Minsoo-hyung. You know how he has a habit of not eating when he’s stressed. I expect you to have become a professional soccer player by the time I come back! Don’t ever give up.

Changjo and Ricky; yah you little rascals. You better take care of Mina well or I’ll come back to beat you up. Just kidding, but take care of her well. You two better do well on your studies too. Don’t boycott them or you won’t grow up to be like hyung!

Mina-ah. I’m sorry for not telling you earlier I was leaving. In truth, I regret not telling you beforehand, but I knew you would cry the most out of all of them. You’re crying right now aren’t you? I don’t even need to see you to know. Wipe your tears Mina; I’ll be back before you know it. Study hard alright?

I’ll miss you dearly everyone. Please take care.

 

I cried even harder at the end of the letter when he mentioned me. I was thrilled that he had mentioned me as one of his close line of friends; that was something that hit me hard in the heart. Though I hated how he knew I would be crying. I hated how he disappeared so fast.

I hate how he left me here before I got the chance to confess.

The boys crowded around me, giving sympathetic pats on my back. I blubbered hysterically with the letter still in my hand. Chunji held me the closest, bringing me into his chest.

“It’s alright Mina,” he said, tears stinging his eyes. “It’ll be alright.”

I sighed at how close the others and I had grown since that. Despite Minsoo, Niel, and Chunji-oppa being much older than Ricky, Changjo, and me, we were all good friends with each other. This was partially due to the fact Minsoo was Ricky’s older brother, who later moved out to live with Niel. Throughout the five months Byunghyun-oppa had left, the others had given me unlimited amount of support and did their best not to mention him at all. He had never once called, texted, or came home for vacation though. We received no reply from him when we texted his number and emailed him. Not one word from him reached us and it would’ve been an understatement to say we were all disappointed.

He could’ve at least come back for the magical Christmas we always spent together.

I shook my head and rid my brain of those ugly thoughts. I had to continue on living happily because I knew one day, he would come home.

“So Chunji-oppa, do you want to come in?” I asked him as we reached my home. He raised an eyebrow at me. “Do you really need to ask?”

I giggled and retrieved my keys to welcome him into my home. “Welcome to my humble abode!”

 

The next morning, I woke up reluctantly to my phone ringing. I cursed under my breath, wondering who would call me so early in the morning.

“Yobosaeyo?” I answered sleepily.

“Yah Lee Mina!” Ricky barked into the receiver. “Hurry and get your out of the house! Assembly is starting in ten minutes!”

To Ricky’s horror, I laughed. “Is this another one of your pranks Ricky? Today’s Saturday!”

If I had been much more awake, I probably would’ve been able to see Ricky roll his eyes. “We have the prom assembly remember?” Changjo spoke calmly into the receiver. The latter had probably stolen the phone from Ricky before he had gone berserk. It wasn’t until Changjo’s words sunk in had I realized I would be in an immense amount of trouble if I didn’t get my out of the house.

“Right.” I immediately cut the line and threw my uniform on. Quickly but thoroughly, I washed up and headed out the door with my phone in my hands. My phone rang again and without even saying a mere ‘hello’, I snarled into the receiver.

“What Changjo?” I asked, a little irritated.

“You have three minutes.” My pupils dilated and this time, it was he who hung up on me. Breaking out into a run, I prayed that all those years of track and field practices would pay off and allow me to arrive at school on time.

 

Who knew it was possible to arrive at school in three minutes from my house? I hadn’t, and I made a mental note that next time I left for school, I wouldn’t have to leave so early. Though as I slipped between Changjo and Ricky for the assembly, I panted heavily, still attempting to catch my breath from my run.

“Glad you could make it,” Changjo commented with an amusing smirk pasted on his face.

“Shut it,” I growled. “Someone has a temper early in the morning,” Ricky mumbled, crossing his arms across his chest. I slapped his shoulder and he whimpered in pain. “Do that again and we’re not taking you prom shopping,” he threatened.

I pouted but withdrew my slapping hand and attempted to listen to the principal discuss the rules of prom and where it would be held. I tuned out about a third of the incredibly long speech and imagined the dress I would wear to prom. A sparkling, long, white dress, I thought contently. Accompanied by my two best friends, we’ll own the runway.

Soon the principal’s incredibly long speech ended, leaving me to wonder what he had really talked about to have talked for such a long duration. Ricky stood up and outstretched his aching arms while I yawned exaggeratedly. Changjo retrieved his car keys from his pockets and twirled them around his index finger, whistling cheerfully.

“So are we ready to go kids?” He joked, indicating the two of us. “Yah!” Ricky and I shouted in unison. Changjo shook his head and clicked his tongue. “Even acting like kids,” he muttered under his breath.

“Did you say something Changjo?” Ricky glared at him. Changjo blinked innocently at Ricky and grinned. “Of course not. So who’s ready to go prom shopping?”

Ricky and I raised our hands simultaneously and shouted eagerly, “Me!”

The latter chuckled and mumbled under his breath again, “Kids.” With a turn of the ignition and a shift, we set off for shopping in the largest mall in the district for the most anticipated event of the year – prom.

 

“Aish,” Ricky muttered under his breath. “We should’ve done our shopping first before doing this girl’s shopping. She’s going to take forever!”

“Hush,” Changjo hissed. “She’ll have your head if she hears you.”

Of course I had heard all of that, but being in the good mood I was in, I let it slide. This had been my third prom dress that I was trying. The first one, a white ball gown, hugged my curves beautifully and I personally had loved it. But the boys had given it a thumbs down, saying it didn’t match my person. I stuck my tongue out at Ricky who had commented on that before going into the change room to exchange for a purple cocktail dress. It looked stunning on me, if I had to say so myself, yet the boys again gave it a no. I pouted and frowned, crossing my arms across my chest.

“Well what kind of prom dress should I wear then?!” I questioned, a little irritated. Changjo raised his eyebrow and smirked. Getting up from his seat, he went to the countless racks that held many other outrageously beautiful dresses. Ricky soon followed and I heard a snicker from them. They emerged from me once again, holding onto a pink dress. I stared at Changjo incredulously but the latter nodded encouragingly. Sighing in defeat, I snatched the dress from his hands, scowling behind their backs.

The two smirked, sharing a high five between them. I don’t know what they could’ve been so happy about. Pink was never my colour, nor did I ever adore it.

As I changed into it though, I thought otherwise. It hugged me perfectly and highlighted my chocolate brown orbs. My hair draped around my head beautifully and soon, I found a smile growing on my face. This one dress simply made me so much happier than the other two had and I silently thanked my two best friends for picking it.

“Yah Mina! Are you done yet?” Ricky shouted impatiently. I nodded to myself in the mirror and opened the door. I’m ready, I thought to myself. They’ll love it.

I spun once around and their jaws dropped. An unbelievable expression was plastered on their faces and Ismirked. “What, doIlook that stunning?”

Ricky muttered to Changjo, “I knew I chose the right dress.”

“Shut up,” Changjo breathed back to Ricky. “I chose that dress you idiot.” A kind grin replaced Ricky’s disgusted look at Changjo. “At least he’ll love it.”

Puzzlement crossed my face, wondering who this he was that they were talking about. “What are you guys talking about?” I bluntly wondered aloud.

A panicked expression struck Ricky’s face and Changjo nudged him in the ribs. “Great going Sherlocks,” he muttered to him.

He directed his gaze back to me and smiled. “Nothing Mina. Change out of the dress first.”

I nodded, complying with his request. Taking one last glance at the awkward Ricky, I changed out of my dress and collected my stilettos. Wonder what’s that all about, I mused in my head. Are they planning something I don’t know about?

After changing, we headed towards the counter and I placed my dress and stilettos. The woman at the cashier eyed Changjo and Ricky, obviously checking them out. Yet the two were oblivious to it and continued to bicker. I rolled my eyes and took my credit card out of my wallet when Changjo stopped me.

“It’s on us,” he simply stated. My pupils dilated. “What?” I asked as I digested what he had just said. “I can’t let you do that!”

Changjo merely smiled. “You have to,” he grinned. Swiftly, he gave the card to the cashier who took it without hesitation. In my head, my conscience was already screaming that something was wrong. Out of the ordinary. When on earth did Changjo ever do this for me?

I raised my eyebrow at him as we exited the store and towards the tuxedo shop on the next floor. He stuffed his hands in his jean pockets and ignored my curious gazes. Ricky was happily blabbing about prom and his tux when something immediately clicked in my head.

“Are we going to prom together?” I questioned, interrupting Ricky’s happy talk to Changjo. “Is that why you paid for my prom dress?”

Ricky eyed Changjo who shrugged. “Caught,” he smiled meekly at me. I gaped at him, furious and surprise overcoming me.

“What are you saying?” I shrieked to him as we rode the escalator up to the next floor. “I thought we promised to go together!”

“Aimee from 3-C as me,” he told me, in a very not-sorry tone. I shifted my gaze to Ricky expectantly, hoping he would say we would go together. He rubbed the nape of his neck and smiled sheepishly. “I’m going with Hyeeun from 3-B…”

I stomped my foot childishly and as we reached the top of the escalator, I quickly went around to take the escalator back down.

“Yah, where are you going Mina?” Changjo shouted after me. “Home!” I yelled back. “You guys won’t need my help picking out your tux anyway!” Huffing angrily, I made my way back home, cursing slightly that I would have to walk since I didn’t bring enough money for the bus.

 

 

The day of prom arrived sooner than I had thought. There were only three hours left until prom and I was still contemplating whether or not I should go. It was true that Changjo had bought the dress and stilettos for me, but I had no date. What was the use of going? I slumped back onto my bed, the desire to block the world out increasing every second.

My phone suddenly rang and I instinctively answered it.

“Yobosaeyo?”

“Hey Mina,” Chunji’s cheerful voice resonated on the other line. “Getting ready for prom?”

I groaned into the receiver. “No,” I admitted truthfully. “Ricky and Changjo ditched me for two other girls. They’re going to replace me!” I wailed into the phone.

Chunji snickered on the other line. “Don’t worry, we’ll go together.” I sat up on my bed, surprised at his comment.

“Us?” I raised my eyebrow, despite the fact he wouldn’t be able to see it. “We can’t bring people from other schools though. Or adults.”

He chuckled on the other line. “No, you can’t Mina. But I can certainly chaperone.” I could almost see his infamous wink and laughed along with him.

“So hurry up and get ready araso? I’ll pick you up in two and a half hour.” With a click, the line went dead.

A small grin formed on my face and the excitement coursed through my body once again. At least I would be able to participate in the event rather than staying home. I was going to show Changjo and Ricky that I could have fun even without a date! Energized, I began to get ready for the long-awaited prom.

 

Two and a half hour later, as promised, Chunji showed up, wearing a sleek black tuxedo. He had let himself in, knowing where I hid the spare key. His expression changed from a smiling one into one full of shock when I descended down the stairs. I smiled sheepishly when I reached the bottom, looking at the floor.

“Do I look that bad?”

Chunji shook his head. “You look beautiful,” he whispered. Offering his hand, he asked, “Ready to go, milady?”

I giggled, taking his hand and boarded his car.

 

Once we arrived at the venue where prom was taking place, Chunji immediately changed from his playful demeanour into a gentleman, opening the car door for me. I smiled, but a bitter feeling nagged at my heart. How much I wished Byunghyun-oppa was here instead…

I saw Changjo and Ricky talking to the two girls that they had told me they were coming with. They caught my gaze and waved to me, but I ignored them, turning my attention back to Chunji. The music had just begun playing and Chunji offered me to dance. I accepted, taking his hand as we swayed to the music in perfect synchronization.

“You look lovely tonight, you know that?” He whispered to me. I giggled and said, “I know. You told me that when you came to pick me up.”

He smiled happily and before he passed me over to another dancer, he whispered in my ear, “You’ll love tonight for the rest of your life.”

Puzzled, I wonder what was going on until I landed in the arms of Niel. “Whoa, watch your step,” he commented jokingly. “Oppa! What’re you doing here?”

“Chaperoning,” he whispered nonchalantly. “And making sure certain people don’t forget to show up.” I chuckled, misunderstanding the message behind what he had just said.

“So how have you been?” Niel asked me as he continued to lead me in the dance. “Do you want the truth or the happy lie?” I joked. He laughed and before we switched partners, he told me, “Don’t worry. Everything that has happened in the past will be fixed tonight.”

I didn’t quite understand what he was going at but I hadn’t gotten a chance before I was passed to Minsoo. “Minsoo-oppa,” I greeted. “Don’t tell me you’re here to chaperone too?” A smirk tugged at his lips as he proudly stated, “Caught.”

“Do you guys not need to work tonight?” I joked playfully. “Well it’s our playful maknaes’ prom. Of course we have to come and ruin it for them,” he grinned. I slapped his shoulder before being passed off to another person. This time, surprisingly, it was Ricky.

“Yah,” I hissed. “What about Hyeeun? Shouldn’t you be dancing with her?” Ricky feigned how hurt he was by placing his hand over his heart. “How could you be like this once we see each other?”

“She should be fine anyways,” he continued. “It’s only for one dance. And you’re my best friend aren’t you?” I smiled at the last part and leaned into his shoulder, resting my head on it as we swayed to the music. Surprisingly, he hadn’t pushed me away but instead gently patted my back.

“You’ll love your prom gift,” he whispered as we passed me off to Changjo.

A small smile spread across his lips as he took my hands in his. “Did you see all the others?” I asked him. Changjo nodded; “The hyungs must really want to ruin our special night,” he joked with me. I laughed but bitterness grew within me as I couldn’t stop myself from saying what I was thinking at the moment.

“It seems like everyone’s here, except for…” I trailed off bitterly. Changjo patted my head sympathetically and brought me closer to his chest. “Don’t be like that,” he whispered in my ear. “You don’t want to ruin this special night.”

I nodded in his chest, agreeing that I shouldn’t let one boy ruin such a special night. “Now close your eyes,” he said to me. I looked up at him curiously and he nodded at me. I sighed, complying with his request and felt his hands leave mine. Suddenly a larger pair of hands enclosed mine, a familiar warmth spreading throughout my body.

The person let go and I heard his steps grow further away from me. “Open your eyes Mina.” A gasp escaped my mouth as I registered the voice in my head. Was it really…?

My eyes fluttered open, and tears welled up in my eyes. My Byunghyun-oppa. My Byunghyun-oppa was really here. In front of me. He hid something behind his back and kneeled to the floor. I covered my mouth, trying to hide the joy and astonishment.

“Mina, I’m sorry for leaving so abruptly,” he said sincerely. “But I think of you every single day, and it’s driving me nuts.”

“I love you Mina.” He confessed. Pulling out a white corsage from his back, he whispered, “Will you be my girlfriend?”

The white corsage matched with his white tux, bringing a fairytale feel to this end. Tears spilled out of my eyes and I nodded.

“Yes,” I breathed out. I hadn’t imagined he would return. I hadn’t realized that everyone was here today was because Byunghyun-oppa was coming back. It finally occurred to me that they were the ones who set it up, and I broke into a wide grin.

The five other boys watched from the corner of the room and grinned. “We finally did it,” Chunji smiled. The other boys laughed and shared high-fives, obviously proud of what they had just done.

Byunghyun-oppa embraced me in his tight hug, tingling every part of my body. He released his grip on me, bringing his face closer to mine to deliver a sweet kiss.

It didn’t matter what happened in the past or what I would have to deal with later on in the future. All that mattered was Byunghyun-oppa was here with me, right here and right now.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

cherry says !
finally got this done! sorry I took such a long time with this request because I had so much to do >< I found it a little to be rushed at the ending too, because I had to finish it before I left to go out today. I'll try to get the next few done as soon as possible and advanced Happy Valentine's Day! hope you guys will have a great day whether you spend it with your friends, your lover, or your favourite biases !

edit: mind you that there may be minor grammar mistakes. I havne't proofread it yet (since I've been in such a hurry). thanks for understanding guys!