Four

Circle

Hakyeon offers him to sit, but Taekwoon declines in his silence. He’s crouching, looking at the small puppy, holding out his hands for the animal to come. The older watches him in wonder, taking in how fragile and breakable the two new additions look.

Taekwoon’s raven hair is patchy, and at some ends uneven. His skin is sickly pale, and his eyes look tired of crying. Hakyeon is in no position to ask anything, especially after promising Wonshik that he won't.

However, his nature is far too inquisitive to let this matter go, and his mind wanders to odd places when making stories about what could make a man look this feeble. The older decides to offer him something to drink, not knowing what he could talk about with someone who looks so afraid when Hakyeon as much as moves.


 

“You’re not late a lot of times.” His boss sighs, and takes off his glasses. The old man takes a long drag of his cigarette, and if it was a regular meeting between them, Wonshik would smoke too. However, as he should have known - this habit of collecting things off the street evidently got him into trouble.

“Why are you late?” The elder asks, taking in another lungful of the cigarette. He doesn't look angry, rather than simply disappointed, and that’s something Wonshik hates the most. Disappointing others and not making up to people’s expectations of him is something he does wonderfully, be it with his family, or with the few friends he has. The only thing he hasn't ed up yet is his work with the cars.

“I’m sorry, it won't happen again.” Words that he spoke countless times to different people, in different times are now repeated. Anxiously, he takes the metal bud between his teeth, only out of habit. He bows, the sweat trailing down his face, starting from the tips of his recolored hair, onto his tense temples and to his chapped lips.

“It better, you’re the best here.” His boss says warmly, putting off the worn out , “The business would collapse without you, Wonshik-ah.”

As Wonshik heaves his eyes up to look at the elder, he notices the soft smile and the wrinkles that come with age. Wonshik appreciates the hospitality, and he makes a silent promise not to allow things disturb his work when he’s at the workshop.


 

Scent of tea mixes in the superficial smell of air conditioning and leather furniture. It’s a lot sweeter than the other scents, carrying out the soft and relaxing aura throughout the whole apartment.

“Taekwoon-ah.” Hakyeon calls, and he’s met with round, frightened eyes of a man that only a second earlier was playing with Badass. Hakyeon feels apologetic immediately.

“Sorry,” He says quietly, “I made you some tea.” He reaches out his arm, holding a warm cup, and hesitantly, Taekwoon accepts. He spends a few moments to smell the liquid before taking a small, cautious sip.

“Thank you.” Are the first words he speaks in front of Hakyeon. The older notices the stiffness in his movements and he bites his lips, not sure what should he do.

“There’s plenty of food in the fridge too, feel free to take anything you’d like.” He offers, but Taekwoon keeps silent.

Hakyeon’s thoughts trail back to a few of his old jobs, thinking whether he has seen this type of behaviour in his line of work before. It’s worrisome - this hesitant and scared demeanor, but there’s nothing he could do to help, not without knowing the story behind it. He looks at the man beneath him, when the pup tries to make its way to Taekwoon’s lap. Some compassion rises within his heart. The two look alike. Both helpless, yet very yearning for love.

The older heads for the bathroom, and halts when he steps over a mushy object beneath him. Hakyeon takes a deep breath and closes his eyes, not moving a muscle. He tilts his head to one side, and then the other, trying to relax his shoulders and knock some pressure out of them. The stiffness doesn't go away, as well as the disgusting, nauseating feeling that burns from his gut to his throat.

His eyes snap open, and he turns to the little devil in the shape of a dog. Hakyeon wants to say something, but all words seem to escape his lips, so he simply growls instead.

Taekwoon is up like a spring, and grabs some cleaning instruments, rushing towards his host. His unspeaking expression tells the older that he can go, and that Taekwoon would take care of.

When Hakyeon comes back from the bathroom, the urge to hurl doesn't pass, but the dog poop isn't there anymore. It doesn't even smell, and the place looks clean.

“Thank you.” He tells Taekwoon, who only looks up and gives off the slightest nod, then looks back down.

“You seem to get along well with that beast.” Hakyeon notes, feeling talkative as usual.

“I had a cat.” Taekwoon elaborates, not looking at the other as he speaks. His voice is so soft, sounding like a weak whisper. Hakyeon wonders whether it’s because of his current state, or it’s the man’s actual voice.

“Had?” Hakyeon asks, hoping it isn't too much of prying into his story. He promised not to ask questions, but it’s his second nature.

“I..I..” The raven haired mumbles, his voice is asking for forgiveness, unknown from who or what.

“It’s okay.” Hakyeon smiles, and Taekwoon’s gaze shots up, finding the older’s man eyes for the first time.

“You don't have to tell me if it’s too much.” There are a few moments of silence. It isn't a heavy silence, rather than a comfortable one, of being pleased in each one’s company, having a mutual understanding of when not talking does better to them. There’s a glint of something else besides fear in Taekwoon’s eyes, and his expression, as usual - unreadable.

This doesn't last long as a high pitched yell comes from the door, and at the doorstep a man stands with the dog trying to bite off a part of his jeans. Hakyeon looks to his friend at the door, then to Taekwoon. The man on the floor is unmoving, except from hurried falling and rising of his chest.

“Jaehwan!” Hakyeon scolds, but runs to the black haired one. He wants to place a comforting hand on his back, but remembering how he flinched from touch, he doesn't.

“It’s okay.” The older hushes, “It’s just Jaehwannie. He has a problem with controlling his volume.” At the last word he shoots an angry look towards the standing guest.

“You have a dog!” Jaehwan retaliates, still prying the small one’s teeth off him.

Taekwoon still doesn't respond, but his breathing is ragged, and he loses colour quickly.

Hakyeon sighs, “Let’s go to the guest room, okay?” He offers, and stiffly, Taekwoon complies.


 

His phone is buzzing, but no sound is heard as he’s far too concentrated on his work. He wipes the sweat, and crouches under another vehicle. He rolls down under, tinkering.

“Ya!” He hears someone call, but recalls that this isn't for him, “You brought your car just a few days ago, what’s all this?”

“Shove it, Yongguk, I’m really not in the mood.” Wonshik registers the voice to be Taekwoon’s boyfriend, but perhaps a lot more furious than their past meetings. He assumes it has something to do with Taekwoon, but keeps quiet in order to hear more.

“What’s wrong with you? Your pet ran away?” Yongguk jokes, his low voice ripples in echoes. There’s a metallic sound, something shoved against a car, Wonshik thinks.

“Don't remind me. Just fix this.” Jongup growls, “When I find him, he’s going to beg for forgiveness.”

Wonshik sighs, what an ill attitude. It’s a good thing Taekwoon isn't there anymore, but then again, perhaps he doesn't know anything else but Jongup, and will make a return to that psycho. He remembers the dark circles he sported in one of their meeting about Jongup’s car, and how frail he looked. He doesn't want to believe anything physical has happened to the older, but it’s highly unlikely that there wasn't. The way he flinches off touch, and the pained groans set off alarms.


 

“He isn't answering!” Hakyeon whispers nervously to Jaehwan. The two are outside the guest room, not wanting to disturb the terrified one.

“Well, what do you want me to do?” Jaehwan whispers loudly back, “I just got here, and you have a dog, and a guy that cries just because I got in!”

“It wasn't because you got in, Jaehwan, it was because you shouted!” Hakyeon explains for the third time. They have no idea how to cope with Taekwoon, being like this - unresponsive and scared. Hakyeon tried to talk to him, but realised it’s worthless. Taekwoon can't reciprocate the conversation, so he can't get anywhere further with it. He gave up, and now he’s trying to reach the only one who seems to know what to do, that too, to no avail. Wonshik is always so immersed in his work that he won't even take calls from his hyung.

“Where did those two come from anyway?” Jaehwan asks, folding his arms childishly. He doesn't like to be left out.

Hakyeon sighs, “Wonshikie picked them off the street.” Is the only logical explanation he can provide. He presses a cold hand against his forehead, hoping it would calm him. He gives out another exasperated sigh as he leans against the wall, sinking into it. Wonshik is enough menace to handle, but now with both a dog and a man - that he knows nothing about except for his name and that he owned a cat - it’s too much for him.

He has no idea how Wonshik handles all the trash he collects, but he always seem to know what to do, and when, even though he is one of the most unorganized men he ever came across. Maybe Jaehwan surpasses him, but just barely.

“Oh, Hyung.” Jaehwan teases, “Are your old bones are too tired to keep up with us?”

It earns the younger a smack over his head.

Jaehwan pouts, giving Hakyeon a small push.

“What are you doing here anyway? I’m on a day off.” The older takes his leave to the sofa, followed by the other.

“Ah, your manager told me to drop you off some new job he got you. At this rate I’ll be charging you two with delivery charge.” Jaehwan finally drops his bag, and takes out neatly formed papers. Another script that Hakyeon’s manager agreed to without talking to him, but at this point Hakyeon simply doesn't care anymore. His manager has gone behind his back countless times, and telling him something about it would be pointless.

“You’re charging me anyway with the amount of food you’re leeching off me.” Hakyeon says absent-mindedly, roughly reading through the script. He can't really concentrate on talking to Jaehwan, nor concentrate on reading the script, as his mind is wandering both to the teary-eyed Taekwoon, and his unforgiving manager.

“I don't know what you’re talking about, if I don't willingly ask for food, then you feed me, unwillingly.” The younger jokes, “And if I don't eat here, I won't eat anywhere.”

“You chose to be a model.” The older shrugs, “Are you hungry?” He asks after a while.

“Oh, god, yes! The company keeps weighting me and telling me to lose weight!” He cries out, “Hyung, they told me that I either make this weight turn into muscles, or that I drop it.”

“Then, let’s make a deal.” His hyung tells him, “You go and bring Wonshikie here, and I will make us something to eat.”

Jaehwan groans, sighs, but turns to the door. When Hakyeon wants something, he usually gets it. If not by request, than by his sheer charismatic aura.


 

Jongup leans back on the car and heaves another groan, followed by Yongguk’s laughter. Wonshik is still hidden beneath the car, listening diligently to their ministrations. He’s sweating terribly, and probably could already pull out, but decides not to.

“How did you find out he was cheating?” Yongguk asks, and the other hurriedly sighs again.

“He had that garbage’s jacket.” Jongup tells him, “That freak that fixed my car.”

Wonshik bites his lip. Sudden guilt gushes through him. He should apologize for giving him a hard time.

Yongguk’s eyebrow crook and he gestures at the car the purple haired is currently under.

“Wonshik?” He asks in disbelief.

The mechanic feels his heart rising to his throat, a lump of fear overtakes his breath, causing it to become ragged and uneven.

“I don't know what’s his name.” Jongup groans, then looks at the direction his friend gestured, “He’s here?” His voice becomes dangerously quiet. Usually, he’d be obnoxiously loud, even with Taekwoon.

Within a moment, he leaps, grasping Wonshik’s uncovered legs and pulling him from beneath. His eyes are filled with anger, fury and hatred. The sweat dripping from his forehead carries his rage to the man below.

“You!” He shouts, and before Wonshik can react, Jongup’s fist meets his lip, knocking him into the ground heavily. The piercing scratches a deep rip inside his mouth and he yells out in pain. He doesn't want to react, even though every single cell in his body is used to do so. Jongup crushes into him a few more punches, and Wonshik shuts his eyes, both trying to focus and take in the pain. Another punch meant for the man’s head is stopped midway, and the bruised one can hear someone taking Jongup away, but not without a promise he would finish what he started.

Wonshik is shaking.