Eleven

Circle

NOTES:

It comes out kind of long, but I promise some nice things there!


 

It starts with a chortle, airy and melodic just like his voice. Then, it turns to be a laugh, echoing and contagious- ringing through the room like bells. Taekwoon has to take another breath due to the threat of choking, but his laughter doesn't cease. He can't- not when in front of him the sight is so ridiculous.

“Yeah, yeah. Laugh all you want.” Wonshik frowns, and drags his wet self to the other side of the room, heavily. The younger stomps after the white lump that runs around rapidly, making its escape from its owner's clutches. After a long lecture from both Hakyeon and Jaehwan, Wonshik had no choice but to bathe the poor dog, much against his wishes.

Taekwoon offered help, but Wonshik declined, saying that's it's something he has to learn to do anyway. And now, at this moment- he's doing terribly.

It didn't take long for Badass to understand that he's going into water, and that water is bad, and draining Wonshik is good, so he did exactly that. He jumped out the shallow bucket, and after a fight with Wonshik, he escaped to the second room in the attic, where Taekwoon is sitting.

The scene is laugh-worthy, something that Taekwoon is still getting used to doing. It hurts, sometimes, since it has been only a week and a half since he got out of the hospital.

He fractured his skull in multiple places, but all is manageable to fix. Other than that, his eye lost some of its sharpness, and he was offered glasses to cover for that. For now, however he decided not to.

It's only when his last day at the hospital ended, did he realize that he has no money whatsoever. He never had money. Not his own, anyway.

Hakyeon generously paid the bill, and told him that he will get him a job for the time being. He could return the favor later. He's still unstable, still falling to such panicked states that he thinks he has lost his mind. But whenever it happens - there's always someone there.

 

“Just close the door!” He tells the younger, and Wonshik pouts.

“Hyung, it won't close!” He cries out, doing another lap to catch the pup, “You know how old this place is.”

“I'll help you.” Taekwoon calmly says, his voice is now always quiet and even. He stands up from the folded futon and takes an experimental step towards the wriggling puppy. He gives it a smile, and lays out his hands.

Badass runs to him, jumping up and down excitedly. The older turns to the other, carrying the dog in his arms, back to the bucket.

Wonshik follows, pride in devastation.

 

“The trial is two days away.” The younger mentions after a silence full while, “Have you talked to your father, yet?”

Taekwoon stops, hands still drowned in water, Badass wriggling between them.

“No.” Is all he says, “I haven't.” His voice final.

It's been going on and off, the talks of Jongup's trial. He is charged with assault, domestic violence, kidnapping, and economical violence. Talking with the authorities, Taekwoon might get his belongings, and maybe the apartment too, even though it's the last thing he wants.

Every single thing in that place smells, looks and reminds him of Jongup. There are still some trails of uncleanable, dried blood there. Those are memories Taekwoon could never wash down, but also doesn't want to remember each day.

Since Taekwoon's father is a police officer, the rumor about the trial, the arrest and hospitalization, got to the old man's ear quickly. Just a day after Taekwoon was released, he got a message from his mother, saying that they should talk, as a family.

He never had much trouble with his parents, not as a child and not as a grown man, but this…

This is different.

He feels somewhat shameful turning to be a victim. Especially due to the fact his father is a police officer. It's regrettable, the whole story, but Taekwoon can't unwind the past, and make his old self less blind to Jongup's behaviour.

 

Things escalated pretty far since Hakyeon was there too. Several new channels went live to catch pictures and videos of the whole story, and upon seeing Hakyeon in the hospital too, the reporters went crazy. Taekwoon wasn't very much awake then, but he heard bits of it, and saw the report later on. He heard the endless questions thrown at the older; constant, attacking, some even accusing for no reason. He remembers hearing Hakyeon crying that his friend is in a bad situation, and why can't they leave him alone. He remembers the panic in his voice, and the relief when the police came around and shooed everyone off.

By that point, he was completely out.

 

“I don't want to push, hyung..”

“Then don't.” Taekwoon cuts the other, “For once, I can decide what to do with myself.” He tells the other and rises to his full height, watching the younger with pained eyes. Being Jongup's item took a toll on him, and rather a big one. It broke him, it broke who he was inside.

“My father doesn't have to know anything about what happened.” Taekwoon remarks bitterly, and somewhat angrily, “I don't need scolding, I've learned that I'm the one in fault well enough.”

Wonshik steps away from the pet, and catches Taekwoon's hand as the older starts walking away. The touch startles him, but it's enough for Wonshik to bring the bitterness out of Taekwoon, and snap him back to reality.

“I'm not your enemy, hyung. I'll never be.” Wonshik says, “So don't treat me like one, please.” He lets go of the hand.

“I have never done anything with intent to hurt you. Neither Hakyeon-hyung, Jaehwan-hyung, or anyone else here.” The red haired seems somewhat disappointed, and that's the last thing Taekwoon needs to see and hear.

 

Without Wonshik he is alone.

When he's alone, he cries.

When he's alone, he's reminded of things that happened.

 

“I'm..” He stutters, “I'm sorry..” He mutters it under his breath, pupils dilating in fear. Wonshik can't be disappointed with him. Those who are disappointed leave, so he must be at his best all times. It's childish, somewhat, but it's the way things have always been.

He doesn't catch that he's trembling and crying untill Wonshik asks his premission to wipe away the tears. Taekwoon can't answer that, so he just looks at the other with startled eyes.

You're a disappointment, his mind whispers, you're a burden.

 

“I don't know how to help you..” Wonshik says quietly, wiping tears away and holding onto the older as if holding for his dear life, “Tell me what should I do..”

Taekwoon can't answer that either.

He can't answer because he doesn't know.

 

“I've never done this before,” Wonshik confesses, “But I feel so damn worried about you all the time.”

“I'm sorry..” The words slip Taekwoon's lips so easily, much easier than saying anything else.

“No, no-” Wonshik pleads, “I didn't mean it like that. I want to worry about you. I want you to become well.” When he looks to the other's eyes, honesty flowing in his voice, it wakes Taekwoon from the destructive thoughts in his mind. He snaps his head up, finally returning the gaze.

“I- I don't know how..” The older ushers.

Wonshik nods.

Then, he engulfs the other in a hug, holding him like a glass bead that's about to break.

“It doesn't have to be now. We can take it slow.” The red haired makes a silent promise, and Taekwoon knows it.

Wonshik includes himself with Taekwoon, and that, and only that on it's own, already takes off half of Taekwoon's agony away.

He can rely on him.

Right?

 

 




There are some background noises in the apartment, and it relaxes his frayed nerves to some extent. He's been getting calls non-stop since the incident, and while his manager tried, and still tries to block the writers away, his phone has been buzzing continuously. Hakyeon thought of breaking the device a few times, with one time actually asking Jaehwan and Hongbin to take it away. Those two seem to spend more time with Hakyeon lately, and not that he's complaining, but they must have their jobs to attend.

He likes to think of his home as an orphanage, lately, considering all the people that nearly dwell in there.

When Wonshik isn't upstairs, and taking care of Taekwoon, he's at work, where he works himself to the point he barely can stand on his feet. Hakyeon scolded him, but that's pointless.

Maybe it's just his getaway from the whole thing.

 

Hakyeon opens the small red and white carton, and guiltily grasps for a cigarette. It has been a very long time since he smoked, but his nerves-- good, his nerves won't settle down. Even when he finally falls to bed, relaxing and trying to sleep, it's pointless and worthless, because he simply can't.

 

Hongbin snatches the cigarette away, and draws it to his lips.

“Bad habit, hyung.” He tells Hakyeon. With the other's visuals it's unbelievably hard to see the man smoke. He looks like an innocent child, with golden locks and round, deer-like eyes. The stench and smoke just seems so out of place.

“I am your hyung, Binnie.” The older retaliates, “Don’t you think you're being disrespectful?” He teases, and takes another one, this time for himself.

Oh, if Wonshik would have seen him now.

 

“Being disrespectful to elders is sort of my job, hyung.” He jokingly tells him, “They like it that way.”

Hakyeon used to be uncomfortable with the type of jobs Hongbin does. They met for the first time on-set, as Hongbin was cheering on an older noona that Hakyeon had a job with. She was about 30 years old, he even remembers that she portrayed someone’s mother at some point, but can’t quite recall anything but that.
At another time, he saw Hongbin with a different woman, older than him as well. Hakyeon isn’t the type of person to judge others’ taste in partners, but he is the type to be curious and inquisitive. It took two whole years of friendship for Hongbin to tell him the truth.
He wasn’t dating all those noonas because he loved them- no, it was simply for the spending money they gave him. That wasn’t something Hakyeon was prepared for, but since then and up until this very moment, he couldn’t come and think of it through, so he just left it as is.

 

“Well, I am not one of your noonas.” He jokes back, taking his first drag of the cigarette. It feels wonderful, but oh-so guilt filled, “And I don’t like my dongsaengs being disrespectful, it isn’t really my taste.”

“Oh, then what is your taste? You never told me!”

Thank god Hakyeon has this man to take his mind off the pressing matters.

“I like them.. Kind.” He smiles, not that signature flashy smile, rather than a warm grin, “And hopelessly romantic, too.”

“Yuc. You sound so old, hyung. That’s why you can never get a date.”

That earns Hongbin a smack on the back of his head. It turns to be a quick session of one chasing the other, running around the spacious rooms until they can no more.

Breathless, hot and sweaty, they sit on the floor, trying to catch their breath.

It’s been awhile since Hakyeon had something like this.

 

Hongbin turns to the older, a playful grin accommodating his dimples, “Hyung,” He huffs out, “You’re really not in shape-” He teases, still trying to catch his breath.

“You’re not the one to talk!” Hakyeon retaliates.

 

“Should I come back later? Am I interrupting something?” Jaehwan finally makes himself noticeable.

The two turn their glances to the other, astonished at his silent entrance. Jaehwan isn’t really the one to keep quiet like this, but Hakyeon guesses that he has done it only to look at their startled expressions.

“What are you doing here?” Hongbin asks, “Hyung?” He adds. He’s still trying to be respectful, as it doesn’t come off naturaly.

“I’ve been calling Hakyeon-hyung, but you didn’t pick up, so I just got here.” Jaehwan replies, and while usualy he’d make a snarky comment on Hongbin’s behaviour, he seems to be thinking of something else.

“What’s wrong?” Hakyeon rises from the floor, and watches as Jaehwan hands him some papers. At first, he thinks it’s another script that his manager passed through his friends, yet again. However, upon looking closely, and seeing how daunted Jaehwan looks, he realises it’s nothing of that kind.

It’s an invitation, to show at court.

Jongup is being judged for all of his crimes just a few days away, and he hoped to stay out of it as much as he can. After the non-stopping questions being fired at him, he wants to back away, and stay away from the public’s eye.

However, he was invited, and so is Wonshik. They’d have to explain everything that happened that night, and Hakyeon doesn’t think he can. He was so overwhelmed, and the intense situation caused his adrenaline to remove some spots of memories. He just doesn’t know, but he will have to do his best for his friends.

 

“Why do you have that?” Hakyeon asks, and it sounds angry, but Jaehwan knows the anger is not towards him. He sighs, and drops his gaze.

“Your manager asked for you to give an interview beforehand. He got the papers before they could deliver them here, and when I saw him, I took them.” Jaehwan sighs again, and this time, looks up, “Hyung, I’m sorry that it has to be this way.”

“This isn’t your fault, Jaehwannie.” Hakyeon says, calmly, but the fear and terror from giving an interview about something that isn’t really concerning him, already sink in his heart. They’d probably ask countless questions about Taekwoon, and that’s the last thing he needs right now.

“It’s not your fault..” He mumbles, and walks away to his bedroom, staring blankly at the floor, mind a thousand miles away.

 

“We were having fun!” Hongbin cries out to Jaehwan, “You had to ruin it!”

“Go cry about it to one of your noonas.” The older snaps, and heads out as well.

 

 




It’s the early morning, but it’s still dark, and the streets reek of rain. Not the cleansing type, the kind of rain that carries smoke and polluted air with it. The kind of rain that when dries, covers everything in a thick layer of dust and grime. Even the black cars that try to overrun the motorcycle, are under a blanket of filth. Wonshik woke up extra early today, to make sure he’d get out of work early as well. He has some shopping to do, and hopefully write the cheque to pay the rent, too.

He parks the motorcycle nearby, and heads to the office and lockers. That’s where his boss catches him, and drags him to his office. Inside, there’s another person, just a tad taller than Wonshik. He has brown locks, clean and organized, and an innocent-looking expression.

“Wonshik,” The old man says with a smile, “This is the new addition to the team. He’s my friend’s grandson, and she asked from me to let him work here.”

Wonshik eyes the man next to him, he can’t be much over 20, but his height is delusive to deduct such things.

“I want you to take care of him. Show him how you work and what you do.” The old man says, and Wonshik doesn’t have much choice but to agree.



The new addition follows him just like Badass follows him around the house. It’s nice when it’s his puppy but this-- this is annoying, distracting and unhelpful.

“Stop.” He turns around and rasps out, just to see that the taller is looking at him with a perplexed expression. Wonshik thinks he’s dressed far too nice to work in here, and that his hands are far too soft for this as well. Nothing about him says mechanic, but on the other hand- people used to think that about him back at the time.

“What?” Wonshik frowns. He has been looking at him oddly for the last few minutes he has been trailing him around the workspace.

The other turns to look to the side, plays with his fingers uncomfortably, then finally asks.

“Where did you get those tattoos? And the piercings? Are they real?” He blasts the other with questions, overflowing so much that Wonshik can’t follow through, and stands there dumbfoundedly, “How long did you work here? Do you usually get nice customers? Did you study anywhere?”

Stop!” Wonshik shouts, then latches his hand to the other’s mouth, shutting him up physically. He’s irritated to say the least. It’s enough to have Hongbin as a disrespectful dongsaeng, but this-- this is an interrogation Wonshik has no will to make.

“Stop, okay?” The red haired moves his hands slowly, and goes back. The other doesn’t look frightened, which is already a different reaction from most people that decide to annoy Wonshik.

“Okay, okay.” The other laughs, “You should have seen your expression, though. You look like you could kill a man--”

Wonshik sighs, and walks to his station.

Could..” He mumbles under his breath.

 

The skies change colours, from darkness, to greyness, to darkness once again, and when the clock reaches 5PM, Wonshik sighs in content. It’s over.

As he heads to the motorcycle, he hears the same footsteps that he has been hearing the whole day long follow him. He stops.

“What?” He turns once again, and it doesn’t matter that rain starts washing over the place again. He will stand there and wait.

“You’re leaving?” The younger asks.

Wonshik doesn’t answer, he’s waiting for the other to get to the point.

“Oh, well, I just wanted to say thank you.” He says with a smile, “I’m not very experienced in this, but you make everything look easy.”

Wonshik raises an eyebrow, and unfolds his clenched arms.

“My name is Han Sanghyuk, by the way.” He tells him, “I’ll be going now, hyung!” He waves, and runs off.

 

“Wait!” Wonshik stops him, and for the first time today, it doesn’t sound completely annoyed.

Sanghyuk halts, and stares at the other, cocking his head to the side.

“I’ll drive you to the bus stop.”

They don’t argue about that, and Sanghyuk happily accepts the offer.

 

The following day, is the day before the trial, and sadly, Wonshik has to work as well.

“Hyung!” Sanghyuk calls happily, and Wonshik approaches.

“Hyung, thank you for yesterday.” He smiles, and it looks too innocent to fit to such an annoying man, “I knew you’re actually nice under all this grumpy aura!”

Wonshik snorts a laugh, “I only did it because it was raining, don’t misunderstand.” He says, and leaves to his locker.

Sanghyuk frowns. There must be another way to make this hyung to like him.

 




He closes his eyes, and someone, thankfully someone that isn’t him is nurturing the mild headache residing behind his temples. The musky fragrance of Jasmine and fabric softener tells him that it’s Jaehwan that appeared for the moral support. Hakyeon didn’t look this tired for quite a while, and he has to make the interview today. It’s the last day before they finally have an ending for this horror story.

“You arrived.” Hakyeon smiles, but it’s weak and unmeaningful.

“Who else would, hyung?” Jaehwan jokes, his hands slide slowly to the older’s shoulders, then join one another in a back hug. The smell of Jasmine overflows Hakyeon’s senses, and for a sole moment he thinks he could do this. He leans back to the warm and soft coat Jaehwan currently sports. Even if it’s just for a short while, Hakyeon wants to rest, and he always finds some peace in the small gestures that go on and off between them.

It’s odd, but he can be weak only before Jaehwan, even if he doesn’t want to admit it.

“You’re going to do great.” The younger whispers, and the words originate so close to the other’s ear, he involuntarily shudders. It takes off some of the headache, and there’s not enough words in his lexicon to thank Jaehwan.

When his manager barges in the room, Jaehwan pulls away at once, stepping aside. Hakyeon knows it’s time to do it, but he feels less repulsive than before.

His hair looks just right, his face looks just right, his choice of clothes is also - just right. And the presence next to him, the support he gets from the younger is too, just right. He makes a mental note to thank Jaehwan properly when they get the chance to do that. They exchange charged gazes, unknown to both of them what exactly stands behind the expression, and what feeling originates this kind of behaviour. Only then, Hakyeon steps out to meet the numerous writers.

Jaehwan escapes the scene from behind, but he knows it’s going to be alright.

Hakyeon is talented in talking, so he has no doubt at all.






Taekwoon takes a deep breath, and finally musters the courage to make the call. His stuttering fingers are just an extension of his torpid state. Everything he does is listless, and has been this way since the morning, when he woke up alone on the futon. He walked Badass, then returned to make some sort of acceptable food, and then realised he has nothing to do. It’s not that there aren’t things to be done, but he has to be as passive as he can today. Just for today -- the calm before the storm.

A lawyer already visited and explained that they will be asking questions, and upon going over the set of queries, Taekwoon realised he’s crying from trying to answer them. He took a few breaks until it was finally over. It’s excruciating more than anything, and requires intense amounts of energy that Taekwoon simply has no source for them.

After all that, he thought about what Wonshik told him about contacting his parents.

His father knows, there’s no doubt, but his mother, how is he supposed to tell her everything that happened? He doesn’t even have the right definition for his situation, nor to his feelings. However, he knows he can’t let it slide and it’d be best to talk.

 

“Hello?” A soft womanly voice answers, and Taekwoon freezes. The power he lacked before seem to escape his body completely and leave him a sitting stone.

“Woon-ah?” She asks through the speaker, and after blinking a few times, Taekwoon greets her.

“Mother..” He says quietly, as much as his voice permits him to be.

“Ah, Woonie, I missed you. You haven’t called for so long!” Taekwoon thinks she’s saying more things of a like, but his mind isn’t paying attention.

She doesn’t know. He repeats constantly in his head. She doesn’t know anything.

“How is Jongup? Is he doing well on his new drama?”

She doesn’t know. How can he explain everything?

“Mom..” He mumbles, “J-Jongup and I..” He’s nearly whispering now, “We broke up.” His voice cracks at the end, and the tears that were tucked away start overflowing, just like his countless emotions.

“Oh, Woonie..” She cooes, “It’s alright.”

“We- we broke up-” He cries out, choking on the cold tears, “We broke up-” He repeats like a broken record.

“It’s alright, Woonie..” She tries, “Come back home, it’s alright.”

Taekwoon continues crying, because he doesn’t know anything better.

 

“Come back home.” She pleads.

Maybe he should. But not now. Now he has to pay back the kindness.

 

Now, he has to prepare for the trial tomorrow.

 

 

 

 


NOTES:

So firstly, how did you like the chapter? I worked extra hard to upload on time!
On another note, I am going back to uploading a chapter every week, so be sure to check it out!
I hope you like where this is going, and the small Wontaek moment that were here, the cute moment between Jaehwannie and Hakyeonnie, and the FIRST TIME THAT HYUK IS ON THIS FIC WOO.
Also - Even though it was shown a little here, Hongbin's story will feature in this fic as well, don't worry. Each one gets his own background told, so I hope you're prepared for that!

Please comment below, and be sure to check the next part next week! <3