One

Circle

The smell of gas mixes with the hot air of the summer. It’s choking senses, but after a while it’s bearable. Fresh and nearly dried sweat joins in the heavy smells from the garage.

The red haired wipes another wet sheet from his forehead, smiling proudly at the masterpiece in front of him. He places his gloves somewhere besides him, and even though they were supposed to cover him from heat and dirt, his hands are both burnt and grease filled.

The model in front of him is a real beauty, a Hyundai Accent, 95’, in purple. They’re rare over here, and even seeing one makes him satisfied. He just finished cleaning it inside out, now all that’s left is renewing the colour. Out of habit, he took between his teeth the tongue piercing, toying with it from side to side as he decides what to do first.

“Wonshik-ah!” It’s too bad his trail of thought has been cut by his boss.

“Be right there!” He yells back, taking a last look at this work of art and promising to get back to it.

He walks in and it seems like there’s a customer with the old man in the office, so he wipes his face again, unknowingly spreading black mucus across it. Wonshik bows to the customer who seems stoic.

“Wonshik-ah, this man right here has something good for you.” The old man says, coughing out the cigarettes he smoked together with him just a while ago. Another habit.

“I’ll be happy to take a look.” Wonshik offers, and even though the customer says nothing, Wonshik follows him with a smile to the car.

“Woah.” He says, astounded by the beauty in front of him.

“,” He uttered, followed by saying sorry, “This is such a beautiful car. Is this yours?”

The costumer shakes his head, and his voice is as calm as his complexion seems to be.

“It’s.. His.” He gestures at a much larger man. He’s talking loudly on the phone, and when the two turn to look at him, he grants them a quick glance and continues talking. Wonshik dislikes him, he looks like pain in the .

“Why is the job under your name? Are you dating or something?” Wonshik asks before taking a walk around the car. It looks spotless, beautiful.

“..Can you do it?” The other ignores the question, “Tell me how much.”

Wonshik shrugs, “I need to make a full checkup for that. Can one of you come back later after I’ll do it?” He asks, taking another glance at the larger man.

 

Taekwoon sighs.

“He was looking at me strange, what did you tell him?” The man grunts as he moves on the couch, bringing Taekwoon closer to his lap. It’s too hot for his liking, but Taekwoon has no choice but to cuddle with him. He gets upset if he doesn't.

“I told him the car is yours.” He isn't lying. Taekwoon didn't answer whether they're dating or not, since he knows his boyfriend doesn't want to be known, and it's understandable. His parents aren't approving of Taekwoon, and he's too scared to tell anyone else. So, for now, Taekwoon is a secret. There’s something exciting in this, being only his.

“And? There must be something else.”  Taekwoon knows the other is expecting something. He always says that Taekwoon has an 'unexplained love’ towards ugly freaks that have tattoos, or colored hair. Maybe it’s because they’re doing something extraordinary, when Taekwoon is all but that.

He shakes his head and tries to watch the movie.

“Whatever, tomorrow you’re on your own with that ugly freak.” His boyfriend huffs, crossing arms, “I know you like people like him, so be careful.” He says, but Taekwoon pays more attention to his cat. His boyfriend is always paranoid like that, but it’s Taekwoon’s fault for not showing enough love.

 

“You can pay me half upfront, and the rest when I’m done.” Wonshik taps the car happily, leaning on it lightly. Taekwoon stares at him and wonders whether the black dirt is stuck to his forehead at all times, or it gets renewed.

“Okay.” Taekwoon says.

“Oh, but there’s a problem.” Wonshik is quick to add, “The car is not signed under your name, so I have to have your boyfriend’s consent for this pricing and payment.” The other twitches uncomfortable.

“He’s not my boyfriend.” He speaks quietly, “I can't call him right now, he’s working.”

“What is he doing?” The tattooed one asks.

“That’s none of your business.”

“Oh, harsh.” Wonshik makes a face, crossing his arms tightly, “Don't worry, I won't pry into your business.” He shrugs it off and walk around the car, keeping eye contact with the other at all time, “I’ll tell you what, get the paper signed, and I’ll start working on it meanwhile. You don't look like the not paying kind.” The mechanic jokingly offers. Taekwoon has no choice but to agree.

 

The apartment is awfully quiet. It seems like he has a long day at work. Taekwoon indulges himself in his cat, and making dinner. Jongup is always hungry for Taekwoon’s food, and Taekwoon is always happy to give him some extra attention. Being an actor, Jongup has a special diet, and the last few times Taekwoon messed it up, his boyfriend became really angry, telling him how he could have throw his career, all of nothing. It’s regretful, but Taekwoon learned to make dishes Jongup would eat too.

His cat, a black one with bright green eyes curls around his leg, purring at it. He picks the feline gently and brings it close to his chest, just in time for lightning to strike outside. Summer storms are in again.

“Welcome home.” He says as the door opens, unveiling the tall man at the edge of it. He seems tired, incredibly so.

Jongup sighs, drops off his bag on the floor carelessly, and walks to Taekwoon, sinking into the scent of the man. He hugs him tightly from behind, and Taekwoon can register clearly someone else’s smell on Jongup. He says it’s only because of work, and he shouldn't worry.

“Babe.” Jongup speaks in low voice, and the latter knows perfectly what it means. Jongup leans to his neck and soon enough he feels instead of hot breaths, hot tongue that slides across the delicate skin.

Taekwoon doesn't want this, but it’s the least he can give to his boyfriend. Otherwise, he’d be asked why he doesn't love him, and why it’s so one-sided.

He eyes the papers Wonshik gave him one last time before shutting his eyes and allowing Jongup to roam him freely, as he wishes.

 

Wonshik looks dumbfounded at the cheque being handled to him. It takes long minutes before his eyes go up to Taekwoon again. His face is smeared with black in all kind of shapes and volumes, but the latter have seen him enough in the past three days to know he should get used to it.

“I can't accept this.” Wonshik firmly says and declines the offering hand. He ignores Taekwoon and heads towards his beloved Hyundai. There are still some tweaks to be made, and since he won't be taking this job, he can play in his spare time.

A shadow is following him, silently. He can feel Taekwoon’s eyes on him, and he hates it. He doesn't like being watched when working.

“Please.” He hears the man behind him plead, and upon turning around he notices how shaky Taekwoon looks. Odd, he doesn't seem like the type to be this stressed over something.

“I can't, you have to sign the papers, and unless you do that, I’m not allowed to lay a finger on your beauty.” His eyes are scanning the man in front of him, and the shakiness seems to worsen. Wonshik frowns.

“..Jongup really needs his car.” Is all he gets from Taekwoon. Wonshik bites his lip, a hand through his greasy hair, and finally takes the cheque, marking it with oily fingers.

He has never seen anyone so stressed about a car that’s not even his.

“You better get them signed.” He tells him, and Taekwoon nods, reassuring he would.

 

“Babe.” Jongup is late again, and God how Taekwoon is tired. He was going through different stores the whole day long, since his boyfriend insisted that he needs clothes, as there will be a party soon, and Taekwoon has to look presentable. It’s not like they would act as a couple in the party, but Jongup tells him that without him, it’s too hard. And while there are many young girls that smear over him, Taekwoon knows he would stay faithful, he won't do anything like that. Taekwoon is satisfactory.

Taekwoon looks up from his cat in his lap, finding Jongup towering above him. The cat jumps away, frightened by the figure. Taekwoon eyes the man, and opens his arms wide, accepting the warmth radiating from him.

“I was at the mechanic today.” Taekwoon nearly whispers, carding through the other’s soft locks. Jongup just colored his hair to light, and Taekwoon thinks it’s beautiful.

“Mhm..”  He answers, voice low as he nuzzles to his neck, just like last night. Taekwoon has to take a deep - shaky - breath in order to speak again.

“The mechanic asked you to sign something.. Or else he won't work on it..” Taekwoon tries to say without quivering under the rough touches.

“Why didn't you take care of it already?” Jongup abruptly flinches from him, looking at him angrily, “I need the car ready, Taekwoon!”

Taekwoon drops his look and collects his arms to one another, giving an apologetic look.

“Are you that incapable that it’s still not done?” His boyfriend growls, and grabs Taekwoon’s wrist, yanking him along to their bedroom. He throws him on the bed, and grants him another growl.

“I trusted you with my most valuable possession and this is how you repay my trust? This?” He’s shouting now, and the words ring through the latter’s mind. He knows Jongup is right, always been and always will be.

“Do you want to humiliate me?” The man grabs clutter from the desk and throws it, directing straight at the curled up one on the bed.

“How am I supposed to go to the party without my car? How, Taekwoon?” Jongup finds a few books and throws them as well, until finally he reaches to hold the man’s wrist and yanks it upwards, revealing the teary face.

“You better take care of that tomorrow.” Lastly his boyfriend warns, and walks out of the room furiously.

Taekwoon is whimpering in bed, quietly as possible so the other won't hear him. Jongup told him that crying is for weaklings, and that he shouldn't indulge in such actions.

His cat appears from the small opening and walks affectionately towards him, resting his back and head on Taekwoon’s jittery chest, heaving unevenly as he tries to settle his breath.

What was he thinking? He ruined a great moment between them with his incapability of taking care of Jongup’s car. He has to be good at something,  or else he would have no value to his boyfriend.

Taekwoon doesn't work, because Jongup says he’s too worried that someone might try something with him.

Taekwoon can't cook, because he had no one to learn from as his parents aren't very interested with him.

All he has is his degree, and Jongup.

He has to be good, at least at this.

 

Wonshik raises an eyebrow at the signed papers. The man in front of him exhibited dark marks beneath his eyes and a much paler skin tone. His shirt and pants seem to be mismatched in color, and many uncared for folds sport the fabric. Wonshik scans him well, until his eyes rest on a red mark on the man’s wrist. The hour is pretty late, and it could be just the lighting inside the garage, but something tells him this isn't a matter of shading.

However, being a simple worker, Wonshik does not get involved in customer’s private lives.

“Come back next week, I’ll call when I’m done.” Is all he says, and Taekwoon seem to exhale in peace. What an odd man. He thinks of the obnoxiously loud boyfriend of his and realises that they’re an odd pair too.

 

Placing all of the tools back in the box, the mechanic wipes sweat from his face, and yet again painting it black unknowingly. As he’s about to turn off the lights and lock the place, his phone vibrates and an upbeat rap song plays. Hakyeon. The man knows better than to keep his hyung waiting on line, as he knows he won't hear the end of it.

“Hyung.” He picks it up, and on the other line a relatively calm voice speaks back.

“Are you working late again?” His friend asks him meanwhile he does what he intended from the very beginning - going home.

“I was just fixing a few things.” He shrugs, and then realises Hakyeon can't actually see him, “Are you working late again?” Wonshik shoots the question back.

“Yes, it’s tiring, really. There’s a party next week and I really don't want to go alone.” Hakyeon sounds like he’s begging the younger without even using proper words for that.

“Hyung, there are going to be only actors there, I can't come, I shouldn't come, I won't fit in.” He closes the door, making sure the electronic locks are working and turning on the alarm. Done. He can go home.

“Wonshik-ah…” Hakyeon pleads, “I really don't want to be alone there, they’re all so cold an mean and you’re not!” He flatters on purpose. Wonshik finds it funny.

“I have nothing proper to wear, and I really won't fit.” The mechanic tries to reason as he gets on his motorcycle.

“I will take care of it, I promise. I won't leave your side either.”

He met Hakyeon when he moved here. They were neighbors, as Wonshik lived in the attic of the highest apartment, and Hakyeon owned the nearby apartment. They’ve met and interacted first when Wonshik found the latter cowering under large shopping bags filled with all kinds of groceries. He helped him, and in return Hakyeon made him the best coffee he ever tasted. It was easy ever since to talk to him, as they saw one another on daily basis.

“Fine.” Wonshik gives in, “The things I do for you, hyung…”

The younger is sure he can hear Hakyeon's smile through the phone. He bids him farewell and drives back home.

 

A party, huh. Wonshik thinks. He haven't been to one since high school, and even then he was one of those to stand in the corner and let others have fun. He always stood out due to his wildly colored hair, and his large collection of piercings and tattoos. He wonders whether the media would catch him, but drops the thought since it’s not allowed to show someone so unconventional as him. Everything screamed different about him, and he likes it that way - boths of his hands were covered in beautiful tattoos to the fullest, and his tongue, as well for the left brow pierced in silver. Maybe Hakyeon will ask him to take off the piercings, it’s been a really long time since he was without them, it would feel wrong.

That night he tries to sleep without his silver stubs and finds it extremely frustrating. He had been tossing and turning all for the sake of trying it out, and his damn pride that won't let him break down and take them back. The things he does for his hyungs sometimes…

 

Taekwoon comes back a week later, exactly, looking much better than their last meeting. His black buttoned shirt is neatly placed over his frail figure, and the jeans are hugging his slim legs tightly. He looks more alive.

“It’s all set, I even polished it. You can tell your boyfriend I did that for free.” Wonshik taps the car proudly.

“He’s not my boyfriend.” Taekwoon protests, but he knows there’s no reason to when Wonshik isn't blind, and he’s sure that the two are dating.

“It was really a pleasure taking care of this.” The mechanic smiles, but the latter seems to care less about his warm display of emotions.

“He should be here any minute to take it..” Taekwoon simply replies.

“Why did you come if he’s here too?” He asks, wiping off sweat, and leaving black on his chin. Taekwoon gave up on telling him.

“Only Jongup is allowed to drive. I’m not a very good driver and might leave a scratch.” He looks away, searching for his boyfriend who was supposed to be here  at least fifteen minutes ago.

“So? It happens. That’s why I have a job.” He says jokingly, “You should drive it then, I would see this,” Wonshik gestures at the car, “And you more often.”

Taekwoon frowns. Is Wonshik flirting with him?

“Taekwoon.” Jongup calls and heads straight to them. The slightly more intimidating one of the couple takes a good look at the final product, checking every curve and every newly polished spot. Eventually, he looks up from the wheels and turns to Wonshik, “It’s fine.” Is all he says, then turns to Taekwoon, “This would do for the party.”

Taekwoon nods, and Wonshik can see how hypnotized the man looks. That’s the face of someone in love.

“I heard that this Cha Hakyeon is bringing some friends outside the industry,” Jongup gets inside and waits for the other to do so too, “So you will have someone to talk to.”

“Are you an actor?” Wonshik interrupts as the couple sits in.

Jongup looks at him confused, why is Wonshik talking to him. He then looks to Taekwoon, who hurriedly explains he is, and how he shouldn't overhear like this.

Wonshik grins, “Sorry. Have a safe drive!” He waves them off, and they're far from the garage again.

 

Wonshik smile doesn't go down. At least he could see his new friend in the party again. He wonders whether he should tell Hakyeon or not. As he drives back home, he decides against it, not wanting his hyung to start rumors around the couple that denied their relationship.

He goes to sleep with his piercings, content.

 


NOTES:

I won't be updating this as frequently as The Backside of the TV, but I promise I would. So expect the interaction at the party next chapter ^^