"Pull over. Let me drive for a while."

100 ways to love you

 

**those that italicized are conversations that happened in the past, not current. 

 


 

Summer.

 

When Sulli thinks of summer, nostalgia hits her as it brings her back to her childhood back in Busan. The pretty white sandy beaches, the scorching sun, the cool waters and most importantly, the time spent with her parents as they would play in the sand, making sand castles or taking a swim in the blue waters. It was those moments that made me her the happiest at such a young age.

 

Summer was not only memorable for the times she spent at the beach or underneath the sun but also because it was the time where her parents were with her, enjoying it together. Her parents would always be so busy with work but when summer rolls around and Sulli is on her summer vacation from school, her parents would be too.

 

For a 10 year old Sulli, nothing was more fun than spending the hot days underneath the sun and at the beach with her parents, stress free and devoted to making as much as memories as possible. She always looked forward when school would be out for the summertime as it meant one thing; beach days.

 

Her favorite part of spending the summer besides being at the beach all day long was eating ice cream after a tiring day and seeing her parents laugh and have a good time along with her. There was a small ice cream shop not too far from the beach and when her parents deemed that it was time to go home, Sulli would make sure that they would stop by before going home.

 

After getting her fix of ice cream every time, she knows that the followings days ahead would just as fun as the previous. It was a thing she always looked forward to, getting her giddy as possible.

 

Maybe that’s why summers in Busan has a special place in her heart because as far she as can remember, it’s always been filled with the brightest memories of her childhood. A childhood that was spent with her parents, making the best of the time they have together, creating the fondest memories that she will look back on as she would get older.

 

When Sulli really thinks about now, summer really feels like coming home. It reminds her so much of the good times she spent at the beach, enjoying the hot summer sun and every time she thinks back to it, she feels happy as her heart begins to feel full all over again.

 

As she grew older, Sulli appreciated the hot season more and more especially after moving away  from the place she spent nearly half of her life at. Moving to Seoul during her middle school years, summers in the city was nothing like the summers back in Busan. It was absolutely different from back home. In Seoul, the nearest beach took hours to get to and even then, it just didn’t feel the same.

 

As she was living in the city now compared to back then, it was more polluted and felt more constricting which makes it harder to breathe the fresh air that she longed for in the summertime. It just wasn’t the same; it always felt like a part of her is missing ever since moving to Seoul and spending most of her summers in the city

 

Though now, as an adult, she promised to herself that she would take at least a week break from the city life during the summer and go back to Busan. Wanting to relieve as much of her childhood even for just a week. Her parent may not be with her to spend her time back home but just being able to soak in the sun by herself was just as refreshing as it was being with the company of her parents.

 

During the one week she would be home, so to speak, it was also the time of her relaxation and time off from work. Days off were becoming so rare because of her crazy schedule and to be back in a place that she feels at peace and stress from, is a whole blessing within itself.

 

Having experienced the crazy work life that her parents were going through when she was a child, she understands why coming to the beach was like stress reliever. The sound of the waves crashing on the sand, the seagulls flying over the water, the giggles of children playing was calming to the say the least. It brought a small sense of serenity and calmness back to Sulli as she was hustling the past months because of work

 

As much as she enjoyed being at the beach and soaking up the summer sun, Sulli enjoyed it more now as an adult, especially now, with how crazy jammed pack her work has become the past couple of months. It was nice to have things slow down a bit and enjoy the little things of being back home.

 

For this year’s summer, it was more special than the previous summers she has spent alone in Busan. This time around, she was bringing someone special along with her. Someone who knows how much of a big deal summers in Busan were to her. Someone who has been told of her childhood and why summer is one of her favorite season out of the four,

 

“You really love being there, don’t you?”

 

“Of course. It’s really like my happy place.”

 

“So will you take me there one day?”

 

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I? I’ll make you fall in love with it just as much as I did.”

 

“Hm but I’m already so in love with Busan’s goddess though, is it possible to still fall more in love with the place?”

 

“You cheesy bastard, of course. I’ll show you.”

 

“Great—I can’t wait.”

 

“Neither can I”

 

Minho, the person who makes Sulli’s heart beat race faster, her cheeks pinkier, her heart fuller, is coming with her to Busan in which they will spend the week with her in her happy place. Before they started dating, the two were good friends who met through mutual friends and where they just clicked on the first meeting.

 

Becoming friends, Sulli thinks is probably one of best things that happened to her. When they’re together, she feels another type of happiness that she can’t feel anywhere else but other than with Minho. Throughout their friendship, Sulli has grown to love Minho more and more as his own person. So it felt almost rewarding when he confessed to her after years of being friends and pining after one another.

 

“Wait, hold on a second, you actually like me? This isn’t a cruel dream that I’ll be waking up from?”

 

“No, baby. It isn’t. I really do like you, Choi Sulli. More than anything in this world, I want to make you happy  as much as you make me happy. So if you’ll have me, will you be mine?”

 

“Oh my god, oh my god.”

 

“What do you say, be mine and I’ll be yours?”

 

“You’re one cheesy bastard, you know that? Of course, god, yes please. A million times.”

 

Albeit they are dating now, it took Sulli a whole year and a half to let Minho come with her back to Busan and spend a week together. It wasn’t that she was ashamed or she was selfish, Sulli wanted to keep the remaining summer of going back to Busan, to be with herself for one last time before bringing someone else with her other than what she was normally used to.

 

At first, when bringing this up to Minho in the previous, it sparked a small yet fairly big argument between the two. It was because of this, did they really have their first argument as couple. Sulli thought that it was petty of them to be arguing over such a matter that really didn’t need to be blown up to that extent but of course, initially Minho didn’t really pay attention to that as he was more hurt over the fact that she didn’t want spend such a valuable time with him.

 

It took Minho a good week and a half before he clearly saw why Sulli wanted to spend it alone for now. He was too caught in his headspace that he forgot that Sulli has been used to spending it with her parents and herself before and now that he’s apart of the picture, it might feel intimidating with her

 

“I’m sorry. I rashed out irrationally. I should have taken your feelings into consideration with this thing before mine. I’m really sorry.”

 

“It’s okay. I see where you’re coming from as well. So it’s fine, don’t worry.”

 

“If you don’t want to take me there when you’re ready to, it’s fine—“

 

“What? I’m still going to take you. Just not now.”

 

“You will?”

 

“Of course. Why wouldn’t I? We just had a bit of a misunderstanding but that doesn’t mean I’m no longer going to take you. I really meant it when I said I will make you fall in love with it”

 

“I—I really don’t know what to say. Thank you?”

 

“You can count on it. Okay? Now come here and hug me. I missed you.”

 

Thus here they were, a year and a half later, on the road as they drive down to Busan for the week. Sulli has been looking forward to this day to be finally happening after coming back from Busan last summer. Ever since then, she has been planning on what they will do and since she’s on a mission to make Minho fall in love with the season especially in Busan, she was meticulously planning it out carefully.

 

As the days were coming closer and closer, the more excited she become. Minho was also just as excited to spend this time with the person he holds dearly in his heart. Minho loves seeing the bright smile on Sulli’s face every time she would tell stories about her childhood and to actually spend some time there with her, he’s more than happy.

 

“Okay one last check before we officially hit the roads.”

 

“Babe, we were supposed to be on the road already.”

 

“I know but I have to make sure everything is here and that everything is ready.”

 

“Did you check your bag if you packed everything?”

 

“Yes I did, everything is there. I also made sure that we are stocked up on snacks for the long drive. I made sure to get gas too and if we ever ran out, I’m sure the rest stop will have some gas station. Can we now go?”

 

“Okay, wow, you actually got everything that I needed  to make sure that was there before leaving. I’m proud of you, baby.”

 

“Hmph, thanks. Now are you ready to leave? We don’t want to catch any traffic.”

 

“Yeah, we can leave now.”

 

From Seoul to Busan was about 4-5 hours give or take, depending on the traffic. They opted out on taking the train though it was much faster than driving and less tiring and a hassle, Minho suggested they should just drive there and have this as their first road trip together. Sulli started to protest that it’s a bad idea since it’s such a long drive but was quickly shut down by Minho. He insisted that they should just drive and enjoy the scenic drive there.

 

“You just want to show that you’re a cool guy, don’t you? Driving 4-5 hours to just impress me, huh?”

 

“What? Of course not.”

 

“You’re lying to me. I know when you lie. And plus, you can’t even hide that smirk of yours.”

 

“Okay, you’ve caught me. Is it bad that I want be a cool boyfriend?”

 

“Oh my god you’re unbelievable. But sure, be the cool boyfriend that you are. You look y while driving anyways”

 

“Mhm, now look who’s unbelievable.”

 

“What? I can’t admire my boyfriend?”

 

“Okay, okay. Fine. We’re both even.”

 

“You’re cute, baby.”

 

“You’re cuter though.”

 

For the first leg of the trip, all was going well. Both were energized, Sulli would occasionally feed some snacks to Minho, they would sometimes sing along to the songs that would play on the radio. It was great. Things began to die down after they passed the rest stop and Sulli could see that Minho was getting tired from driving.

 

They took about a 45 minute break at the rest stop to refill on gas and stretch out their legs and bodies  before getting back on the road again. This time around, Sulli could see how Minho’s eyes were becoming droopy, showing that he was getting tired. She leaned closer over the console, and gently caressed his cheek to which he leaned in on the touch.

 

“You’re getting tired, aren’t you?”

 

“A bit but I’m fine.”

 

There was about an hour or two more to go before reaching Busan and Sulli felt bad that Minho was driving for all of it. She also knows that right before they were going on this trip, Minho was also very busy with finalizing a few things at work so that he doesn’t have to stress over it during his time off.

 

Sulli wanted to take some of the burden out of driving for Minho even just for a bit. So that’s what she ultimately decided. She wanted Minho to take a small nap as she knows he must be very tired from driving and working late last night. Sulli wanted to make him feel as comfortable as much as she was.

 

“Pull over. Let me drive for a while.” This perks up Minho as he quickly glances over her, giving her a bit of incredulous look at her before looking back at the road again.

 

“What? Why?” Minho speaks up, sounding as shocked and confused

 

“You know why. You’re clearly tired and I want to relieve you from it. So pull over and let me drive.”

 

Minho looks at her confused once again and Sulli was already seeing the words forming in his head as she knows that  he was going to go against the idea. Sulli was quicker however, as she says, “I know what you’re thinking. But baby, let me do this. It’s not like I can’t drive. I’m a fairly good driver, thank you very much.”

 

This makes Minho laugh a bit before saying, “it’s not that. I know you are but we still have a long way to go. I don’t want to do that to you.”

 

“Minho, please. I chose to do this. If you really don’t want me to drive for long then let me drive for at least an hour so you can take a quick nap if you want and then you can drive the rest of the way. How does that sound?”

 

Minho sighs, Sulli knows that he’s gonna give in soon enough. Her instincts were right as he pulled over, taking off his seatbelt. She smiles as she knew she won that. Sulli does the same, taking off her seat belt, before getting out of the car, and going around to where Minho was at.

 

“Come on, captain. It’s my turn to steer your ship.”

 

“Ay ay. She’s all ours.”

 

Now they switched places, Sulli being in the driver's seat and adjusting the mirrors to fit her with Minho next to her, in the passenger’s seat, getting comfortable as much as possible before taking a nap. It made Sulli’s heart in peace again.

 

As she got back on the main road again and with the soft music playing in the background, she can’t wait to see what other memories they will create when they are in Busan. Sulli still can’t really wrap her head around the fact that she’s having the chance to spend this week with someone who makes me her just as happy if not more like the way being in Busan for a week during summer makes her happy.

 

Sulli was looking forward to creating the same fond memories she had growing to now, sharing a piece of the happiness she found in a place she once called home. Busan may not be her physical home now but in her heart, it will always be. Just like how she has found a home in Minho.