The Criminal

FALSIFY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Flipping pages of the said report, the office of the police inspector and the NCI agent remained silent. Both were focused on scanning every files and related reports they have in hand. It was late that evening but the duo remained inside their dim office.

A sudden placement of a cup of coffee on Wendy’s table got her attention. Looking up, she saw the NCI agent standing, holding another cup of coffee. It was the first time that the agent showed a little kindness to her which took the police inspector by surprise.

“I figured you needed one.” Pertaining to the coffee she gave, Seulgi spoke calmly. The NCI agent was always focused on her work and observation and not wanting to make a mistake was always visible from the inspector’s point of view. The duo never had a chance to talk about anything else aside from the case or anything related.

“Thanks. That’s first of your kindness” The inspector teased which the NCI agent countered “Not really. You still owe me that gunshot on our first meeting. Actually, your whole department owe me that” sipping her coffee after.

Scoffed at how proud her partner to her own statement, the inspector let out a defeated smile after for it was true that they owe it to her or else the suspect must’ve escaped that time.

“Have you listed all the people and places we need to visit?” the agent continued, getting back to the case.

“Yup, I’m done listing them adding to the people you want to meet. So… who do you want to visit first?” Wendy stated while still scrolling at her laptop.

“Bae Irene…” the sudden statement of the killer’s name made Wendy stopped what she’s doing and directed her eyes to the NCI agent who’s looking at nowhere in particular as if she’s thinking of something until her eyes landed to the inspector.

For the second time for that night, the inspector was surprised by the NCI agent’s sudden decision. “I didn’t see that coming” in pure astonishment, she stated.

“Would you care to explain why are we suddenly going to meet her first rather than actually questioning the people connected and involved to the case?” to her curiosity, Wendy asked.

The NCI agent walked slowly to her table across the room and placed her coffee at the corner. Leaning her back on the table with arms crossed on her chest, she started to explain “I know that people in the police department usually go for questioning the people around the suspect before finally talking to the main character which is the suspect itself. That’s a standard thing to do to gather information to the potential suspect but then again, we’re working on a re-opened CLOSE CASE” emphasizing the latter part for the inspector to take note of.

Seulgi lifted the folder containing Irene’s case and wiggled it in front as she explained further “Everything was written here , all or maybe most of the information we needed and also the name of not just a suspect but the criminal who was convicted, the criminal who confessed her own crime. Before investigating, we already knew who the criminal was unlike when we investigate a new case where we narrow down suspects first.”

“So?” still not quite getting the agent’s reasons, she reacted.

“I wanted to approach in a different way, I wanted to meet the criminal before meeting the people who can mold her characteristics, personality and what to expect on meeting her by their words and statements” Wendy can’t helped but be in awe with how different Seulgi’s mind compared to the others. She’s not someone who’s by the book but also not by gut feel. She’s just… different.

“I wanted to know what this murderer was like…firsthand before I hear others opinion about her.” the NCI continued gulping the last of her coffee.

With everything mostly said, the NCI agent decided to meet the main character of this case.

 

Bae Irene

 

Walking along a white corridor with nothing but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter