Perfectionist

Sister, dearest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi all, thanks for reading the previous chapter. I love this story, it's one of my favorite things to write, and I feel like most of you know already but I have been writing everything in the way that I have been on purpose as to not give away too much at once, and keep it interesting, so there’s been a reason as to why most of it has been told from Irene’s pov at first, but I do think most of you know that. But that doesn’t mean I won’t get into more things as I go, or we won’t see other characters pov aka (Joohyun and Seulgi’s too) thank you, and please enjoy.

 

Sponsor Mentions: As always, thank you very much to my sponsors. I appreciate all of you so much: fabricsoftener, AvryGeist171, royalshipper2122, DTHDHR, Bernkaset, Casti1004, jasonds,  ZombieJuhyun, Rita_1211, 112714, Karasxo, falsuki, wittyadie95, Fantasiii, Km62201n, Eris78, captainsnsd, User_name1200, Androsssss, hiraiim-trash, theRequiem78, jyrus_21, Seosunny, cwright01, kingdomcomes, sleepyhead, Jewster88, InformedPuppy, Fladoodlem8, ericakate, Ody1204, dga214, pinkpinkypin, Moonstunt, SleepyRu, Cheorrybat, Sarcasaticree, pokjl-123, Shouto818, PandaExpress69, j33200, shinneay, dmac20, Chan_94, Tashphobic, NoJamDubu, kiyomamoo, justsomeanimelover, iamforeverlame, Mmm2392, Sapphicblink, CheezeeMyoui,  aya_ah98, bangton, blazeaf, Supergirl, Lorna123, Revelsone, madam_mac, aya_ah98, Nyssa21, Icantstandtofly, Lelouch99, Kasey_1432, tay_84, Mooncrush22, tinybean, sawyer09, taeyang729, Once1864, Kasey1432, victoriatrrsx, samlion, kaikaitheartist, kemekemewave28, Normallyotp, and argonots. Thank you so much for being sponsors. ^
 







 

Bae Joohyun considers herself a bit of a perfectionist, having things done exactly in the way she envisions it has always been in her nature from the time she was younger. Things like reading, studying, getting good grades mattered to her more than almost anything growing up, especially as she knew her career of choice rather early on. She wanted to be a lawyer and nothing would stop her from one day achieving that goal. Teachers all her life praised her for her intelligence, determination, and hard work ethic. All things she used to apply herself throughout her school years, college, and law school. She ultimately did achieve her career goal of becoming a lawyer, a successful one. One who is always in demand, constantly growing her clientele, because she is effective and has built a trusting relationship with her clients to the point they readily recommend her elsewhere.

 

As wonderful as it is to see her career goals met, Bae Joohyun is also preparing for another new chapter. She is in the early stages of planning for her married life with the only person she has ever loved, Kang Seulgi. Growing up, she and Irene knew Seulgi from the time they were young kids. Their parents being friends for years, and they having attended schools together since the time they were children. Seulgi was always someone who was nice, kind, respectful, and charming. Truthfully, growing up Seulgi was more Irene’s friend as they had more of the same interest. But, that didn’t mean Joohyun didn’t take notice of the cute monolid girl that reminded her of a teddy bear. Joohyun may have been reading and studying, but that didn’t mean she wasn’t paying attention or that she didn’t have eyes of her own. It didn’t mean she didn’t have a crush on Kang Seulgi, just because she wasn’t spending the same amount of time with her that her twin sister was.

 

While, Irene was the more artistic sister, she found her comfort in books. She loved learning and the power that came from knowledge. Joohyun recognized that it was because of Irene’s love of art that she and Seulgi naturally had more things in common, and so she herself kept to the things that brought her comfort like reading, chess, and things that involved tests of skill. But just because Irene never saw her spend time with Seulgi, didn’t mean she never spent anytime with the monolid girl at all. Joohyun can still remember one of the first times she had spent with Seulgi on her own. She had never forgotten till this day, because it was a moment that had always stood out for her personally.

 

(Flashback)

 

The student council president had asked Seulgi if wouldn’t mind helping her to make fliers because she was in the middle of getting ready for a fundraiser, and because Seulgi is very creative, and easily one of the best artists she has ever known, Joohyun had asked her, so when the monolid girl agreed to staying behind to help. Joohyun remembered feeling extremely giddy inside, like a teenage girl with a crush. Because that’s exactly what she was, a 16-year-old girl with a crush. However, Joohyun told herself she would in no way act anything but professional.

 

“Thank you for helping me, Seul.” the bespectacled girl says from her desk. “I know you have a lot going on with dance club lately.” Joohyun is appreciative of the fact that Seulgi is willing to help her even though she knows Seulgi no doubt has her own things to do as well. The monolid girl smiles kindly with warm eyes disappearing into crescent shapes. Joohyun tries to focus on her own flier in that moment that she’s making, so Seulgi can’t see that she’s blushing.

 

“It’s no problem, Joohyun. I don’t mind helping you.”

 

“That’s because you’re the nicest person.” She doesn’t say but does softly thank her again. One moment when they are both reaching for paper at the same, and their hands touch, Joohyun looks up and Seulgi looks up too. The slightly shorter of the two feels her face heat up and looks away suddenly. Seulgi looks away suddenly and mutters a quick apology.

 

“Ah, I’m sorry, Joohyun.” She laughs nervously.

 

“Me too…” Joohyun whispers with an equally nervous laugh. They do manage to get back to making fliers, but Joohyun wonders if Seulgi felt what she felt. Did Seulgi feel those same sparks at all, or was she the only one that felt anything?

 

(End)

 

Fortunately, Joohyun hadn’t been alone in her feelings. She may have not been able to properly talk to Seulgi until later on just as they were in their final year of high school, but when they did have the chance to talk. Seulgi told her that she did have feelings for her too, and confessed that she thought Joohyun was simply out of her league, or thought that Joohyun would never see her as anything more than a friend, to which Joohyun made sure Seulgi knew she had simply been much too shy all those years to approach her first. Now, here they are in the process of starting their next steps together. They are engaged as of now, but no one really knows that except for them, and her mother since she has told her. Tonight, all that will change when they sit all their important people down and share with them their wonderful news. Joohyun is glad that Irene will be there to share in the news too.

 

“No, wait…” Joohyun calls out to one of the staff at the restaurant. “Please, I’ll take care of the plating arrangements.”
 

“Ms. Bae, are you sure? We don’t mind following your instructions.”

 

The brunette smiles and shakes her head. “No, it’s okay. I’ll do it, but thank you. My fiance should be coming soon, and she’ll go over anything else that I may have forgotten.”

 

Of course, Joohyun hasn’t forgotten anything. The woman is a lawyer who reads important case documents on a regular basis. She just wants to set up herself, and as she’s getting ready to start putting things down, she hears her mother make a small laugh.

 

“Oh, Hyun.” Mrs. Bae laugh. “Why am I not surprised to see you doing this yourself instead of letting someone help?”

 

“Mom?” The lawyer smiles and walks over to hug her mother. “What are you doing here, you didn’t have to come until later on.”

 

“Seul asked me to check on you.  She was worried that you would be doing this very thing, and it looks like she was right indeed. Why didn’t you just let the staff do this, sweetie, they are being paid to.”

 

“Well, I don’t mind.”

 

“You are a bit of a control freak, sweetheart.” Mrs. Bae lovingly pinches her cheek and Joohyun looks slightly offended.

 

“I am not.”

 

“You are, but you are a lawyer, so it comes with the territory, at least let me help.”

 

“Alright, I’m just putting down the seating arrangements. This table here is where Seul and I will be sitting.” Joohyun shows here what is clearly a couple’s table if Mrs. Bae has ever seen, decorated lovely with a cashmere tablecloth, two candle holders, a jar of bright colored stones that she is sure has some sort of significant meaning, special dinner plates, and without the seating arrangements since it’s clear that's the couple’s table at the front of the room.

 

“You, daddy, the Kangs, and Irene will be at this table.” She points to another large table. 

 

“I’m so glad your sister will be attending.”

 

“Me too, she promised she would.”

 

“It will be good to see her after so many years.”

 

“We have so much time to make up for, mom, but I am really hopeful that we can start with today.”

 

Her mom gives a hopeful smile too, but listens in as her daughter continues going about the room explaining more things to her. Mrs. Bae wants to be hopeful as well, but it has been years since Irene has disappeared from all of their lives, and as much as she wants to reconnect with her younger child. The possibility seems so slim because Irene just never seemed to want anything to do with anyone. Mrs. Bae could see even as her girls were younger, Irene did all she could to keep distance between herself and Joohyun, especially as they hit those teen years.

 

“I did try and call your sister, but she wouldn’t pick up.”

 

“She wouldn’t answer me either, when I tried to call her again.” Joohyun admits, as she did try to call her once more after she initially saw Irene, only it went straight to voicemail.

 

“How did she seem, dear?” 

 

“She looked well.” The lawyer admits. Because from physical appearance alone, Irene looked fine, not that it meant she was. 

 

“At least, she looked well.” Her mother knows what that means, though. Looks can be deceiving and just because Irene looked well it doesn’t mean she actually is.

 

“Is she bringing any friends or anyone to dinner?”

 

Mrs. Bae hopes that her younger daughter hasn’t spent all those years completely alone. Irene might have said she wanted nothing to do with anyone, but it would hurt terribly to know if Irene was in total isolation without any sort of friend or support.

 

“I told her that she could bring someone or friends if she wanted, but she never said. I’ll just make sure there’s some empty space here for the third table where our friends will be.”

 

It’s going to a small dinner, nothing huge, or elaborate as of now. She and Seulgi have time for that when they start sending out wedding invitations, where later they can a big celebration for their wedding itself. This is just an announcement, so it’s small and intimate. Joohyun has invited a couple of their friends to come, people they’ve known for a long time, and will be happy to know they’re engaged. Once she and her mother finish setting up, the rest will have to be handled by staff anyway.

 

“Try to let the staff take care of the rest, Hyun. Or will you be serving dinner too.”

 

The bespectacled woman laughs. “No, I won’t be serving dinner. I have a dinner to host with the woman I love.”

 

Mrs. Bae hugs her again. “I’m happy for you, sweetie. Come, there’s still time before the dinner starts, let me treat you to ice cream sundaes.”

 

“Sundaes?” The lawyer laughs a little. “Now, you’re acting like I’m a little girl again.”

 

“You’re never too old for ice cream, plus, my daughter will be a married woman soon. I would love to spend anytime with her I can.”

 

Joohyun nods in understanding and the idea of ice cream sundaes do sound good. She is reminded of being small and going out with her parents and Irene for ice cream sundaes all the time. Things seemed much simpler back then, when they were kids. Before the two of them started continuously drifting apart. Joohyun loved the fact that she had a sibling. She liked being a twin more than anything because growing up she had someone who understood her, someone who looked exactly like her, but also wasn’t like her at the same time. It was fun and unique being an identical twin. At least, Joohyun always thought so.

 

“You know, Seul will probably be disappointed we are going for ice cream without her.” Joohyun teases and Mrs. Bae smiles.

 

“Well, I can always go for ice cream with my soon to be daughter-in-law instead, and you can stay here.”

 

“Mother!” The lawyer feigns like she is offended and laughs out loud. She knows her mother is kidding and isn’t actually offended. It’s these small moments with her mom that makes her miss Irene even more, because Irene should be right here for times like these. Irene should be going with them to have ice cream, or having those mom-daughter days that she and their mom still do. Because, even though Joohyun is a lawyer with her own hectic schedule, it never stops her from having weekly dinners at her parent’s house. She also makes sure that she spends that quality time with her mom, whether it be lunches, spay days, no m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter