Who needs family

Sister, dearest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I just wanted to thank those of you who have reviewed for those reviews, it means a lot. I really do enjoy this fic, because it’s something different from my usual writing and I do enjoy the concept behind this work. This chapter we will get our Bae twins face to face after not seeing one another for many years, and I will continue to unravel more things as the story progresses. Please enjoy, and thank you

 

Sponsor Mentions:As always, thank you very much to my sponsors. I appreciate all of you so much: fabricsoftener, AvryGeist171, royalshipper2122, DTHDHR, Bernkaset, Casti1004, jasonds,  ZombieJuhyun, Rita_1211, Karasxo, falsuki, wittyadie95, Fantasiii, Km62201n, Eris78, captainsnsd, User_name1200, Androsssss, hiraiim-trash, theRequiem78, jyrus_21, Mmm2392, Seosunny, cwright01, kingdomcomes, sleepyhead, Jewster88, InformedPuppy, iamforeverlame, Fladoodlem8, ericakate, Ody1204, dga214, pinkpinkypin, Seulgalaxy, Moonstunt, SleepyRu,  victoriatrrsx, Cheorrybat, Sarcasaticree, pokjl-123, Shouto818, Revelsone, PandaExpress69, argonots, j33200, shinneay, dmac20, Normallyotp, and Tashphobic. Thank you so much for being sponsors. ^^







 

It wasn’t particularly easy for Joohyun to leave Seulgi at home, especially as she had just gotten her fiance back, and Seulgi wasn’t making it easy on her. If it had been anything else, the lawyer knew she would be right in bed with her teddy-bear like love and enjoying their time. But this was important since she needed to see her sister. Joohyun saw it as what could possibly her only chance at reconnecting with Irene, and maybe eventually getting her sister to try and involve herself with their family again. No one knows why Irene just up and decided to cut off all contact with everyone, but no one really pushed her. Everyone respected her wishes and didn’t try to reach out. Joohyun is hopeful that now with herself and Seulgi getting married, it might be just the sort of event that can heal the rift in the family. Things weren’t always distant between herself and Irene. Joohyun can recall good times with her twin as she drives over to her sister’s place.

 

(Flashback)

 

The twins were ten and outside in the backyard of their house, playing on the new outdoor swingsets, slides, and treehouse that their father had built for them. The girls had begged for so long to have something reminiscent of the playground at school to play with at home, and finally they got their wish. The Bae’s were happy to see their daughter’s having so much fun together. It was adorable seeing both of them going up and down the slide together, walking hand in hand to the swings, and waiting for one another like good siblings. Mrs. Bae soon brings out some lemonade and snacks for them to enjoy.

 

“You girls should take a break, you’ve been playing for hours.”

 

“Alright, mama.” Joohyun says first. “Want to take a break, Rene.” The older twin asks with a warm smile.

 

“Sure.” 

 

“Those cookies look good, let’s go have some.”

 

“Okay, let’s go.”

 

The sisters make their way over to where their mom has placed snacks and lemonade for them on the backyard patio. Joohyun hands her sister the purple mug and of one of the cookies. Irene quietly thanks her and they sit for awhile looking up at the clouds. Today has been a really nice day so far, both sisters can agree to that.

 

“Daddy did a nice job with everything.” Joohyun speaks after a while.

 

“Yeah,” Irene nods. “I like the slide.”

 

“Me too, Hyun.”

 

“After this, do you want to play some more?”

 

Irene seems to be thinking about what her sister says as she sips some of her lemonade.

 

“Yeah, I’d like that, Hyun.”

 

“Okay, Rene. Let’s finish our snacks first.”

 

(End)


 

Things hadn’t always been bad between herself and Irene. Sure, the two of them began to drift apart as they grew up and had other interests, but Joohyun could have never imagined that it would have turned out like this, her going for so many years without seeing her own sister. The lawyer pulls up to the condominium and takes a moment to admire the view. She heard Irene was living well in an expensive area, and it is a relief that her sister isn’t off in bad conditions. The doorman actually does a double take when he sees her.

 

“Ms. Bae?” He blinks, as he rarely sees Irene and knows she wouldn’t be dressed in such business-casual like attire, even when he does see her. Joohyun looks down to her black blouse and dark grey slacks. She tried not to come overly dressed, but the majority of her clothing is business-like in nature.

 

“Ah, sort of.” The lawyer nods with a laugh. “I am a Bae, Irene is my twin sister and I’m here to see her.”

 

“Ms. Irene has a twin sister.” He sounds mystified by what Joohyun is saying to him and Joohyun can only apologize and head inside. The looks don’t stop with the doorman either as some of the security also look just as stunned by her as well. Joohyun doesn’t take it personally, after all, who wouldn’t be surprised to see the twin of one of their residents walking around, when it’s very clear no one even knew Irene had a twin.

 

“She really never spoke of me, or our family in general.” Joohyun thinks sadly. The brunette pushes up her glasses and focuses. She came here to talk to Irene and that’s what she’s going to do. Joohyun gets to Irene’s floor and just as she’s about to knock her phone rings.

 

“Hello?” She answers.

 

“Hyun, honey?”

 

“Hi, mom. Is there something wrong?”

 

“No, dear. I know you’re probably about to meet with your sister, I was calling to ask if you could, see if you might be able to invite her to have dinner with us tonight, just us as a family first, before your dinner to announce your engagment? I think it would be a good idea if we could meet as a family?”

 

Joohyun thinks it’s not a bad idea, and that her mom has her heart in the right place. No doubt, her mom wants her daughter back in her life just as much as Joohyun wants her sister to be back in hers. The lawyer simply thinks that would be asking too much, as she knows Irene very well, and it’s highly unlikely they’ll get her to agree to meeting to another dinner.

 

“I’ll ask mom, but…”

 

“I know, Hyun, I’ll try not to be too disappointed if your sister doesn’t agree. Thank you, sweetheart.”

 

“You’re welcome, mom. I’ll talk to you soon.”

 

Joohyun ends the call and prepares herself to knock on Irene’s door. It feels like the longest minutes of her life as she waits for an answer, because there is a good chance Irene changed her mind and has now decided that she no longer wants to meet. Anything is possible with her sister, something Joohyun has come to learn. Joohyun is about to call her when the door opens, and she sees her. Irene is standing there in an oversized dark purple sweater, jeans, and purple slippers. It has been six years since the twins have seen each other. 

 

“Irene,” Joohyun smiles warmly and takes in her sister’s appearance. She looks well and not anything like Joohyun imagined. There had been times Joohyun worried Irene could be in a terrible state, since she was staying to herself. Her mind went to all sorts of horrible places, like Irene not eating well, not sleeping well, perhaps doing drugs, getting caught up with the wrong crowds and people, all sorts of things, so far it’s safe to say at least Irene looks to be fine on the surface at least. Joohyun immediately moves to hug her sister. Irene does nothing to show how disgusted she truly is by the fact that Joohyun is hugging her right now.

 

“Hi, Hyun.” The younger twin says it calmly. It took everything within Irene to say that with a straight face. Irene honestly never imagined she would see her sister again. She wanted nothing to do with her once she stole the one person who mattered to her, but it’s funny how life works out sometimes, as here they are.

 

“It’s so good to see you, Rene.” Joohyun says sincerely as they break off the hug. “You look good.”

 

“I look like you.”

 

Again, Irene says it in such a tone of voice that ends up sounding like she’s kidding and it makes Joohyun laugh.

 

“I’ve missed your humor. I’ve missed you very much, sis.”

 

Irene has no idea what Joohyun wants her to say to that, but if she’s expecting to hear that she was missed too, Joohyun will wait a long to hear those words. The older twin doesn’t say anything though, and Irene tells her to sit down.

 

“Sit, Hyun, I’ll bring you something to drink.”
 

“Thank you,” Joohyun nods and sits down in the living room area. Now that she’s fully inside of the apartment. Joohyun can see how nicely decorated it is, with expensive couches, armchairs, wall to wall carpeting, a fireplace, and flatscreen television. She notices her sister’s love of purple still persists, as her curtains in the kitchen windows, countertops, and living room curtains are also purple as well. 

 

“You still love purple.”

 

“Yeah,” Irene nods. “Did my sweater give it away or are you looking at the things in my apartment.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Joohyun apologizes. “It’s been a long time since we’ve seen one another, and it does feel a bit awkward, but I’m hopeful it won’t always be. I really do want us to be in each other’s lives, Rene.”

 

Irene doesn’t say anything to that as she prepares two glasses of wine for them. As she pours her hand hovers over the glass for Joohyun, and briefly she considers how it would be to poison her glass. It would be simple, no? All she has to do is drop something in here that Joohyun can’t taste and be rid of her sister once and for all, but then it isn’t all that simple. Seulgi knows she’s here and it would easily be traced to her. Besides, simply poisoning her sister is too easy, and it’s not worth it for it to be that easy.

 

“Here,” Irene hands her the glass.

 

“Thank you.”

 

It’s more awkward than Joohyun first imagined it would be, although she knew it would be. She hasn’t seen Irene in six years and even before that they were drifting apart. 

 

“How have you been?” Joohyun tries to make some conversation.

 

Irene sighs and puts her glass down. “Please don’t do that, Joohyun. You don’t have to come here and make a bunch of useless conversation, you had a reason why you wanted to see me?”

 

Joohyun tries not to feel nervous by the way Irene is looking at her. In truth, she does feel a bit nervous as Irene looks at her with such a dull and almost lifeless expression. Joohyun also tries not to let it get to her too much. She is here to try and reconnect with her sister. Irene could be doing this on purpose to deter her from trying.

 

“Yes, I’m having a dinner this Friday. Seul and I are having a dinner this Friday.” The older twin corrects. “We spoke a little about it before, and you didn’t seem like you were too interested then, it’s why I wanted to ask you in person. I was hoping I could convince you?”

 

“Can I know what this is for?” Irene decides to simply ask and get that part over with. She’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter